Resource SM OU Viability Ranking Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Lol I'm sorry but these arguments are so idiotic Virizain. Your argument seems to be centered around it outclassing a virtually unviable Pheromosa set and using that as your reasoning for saying it has "no opportunity cost" despite the fact that you are not only severely limiting your teambuilding options for the sake of running a Pokemon which not only can't do fuck all to what is literally the most used Pokémon in the tier (Landorus-T), but also one which can't be used alongside either of two of the most fundamental glues/wallbreakers for offensive teams, Mega Scizor and Mega Metagross.

Furthermore, to take the statements "oh but it's recieved indirect buffs X, Y and Z this gen" in a vacuum like you seem to be doing makes quite literally no fucking sense; sure, it can abuse more fairies, but it doesn't change the fact that these fairies are almost invariably paired with things which it has no way of ever realistically breaking; talking about the mega speed buff doesn't say fuck all because it says nothing about how it's affected by the meta environment; parrot on about how Pheromosa is one of its best partners all you want, it doesn't either explain how these buffs affect it's viability in the context of the metagame it's being used in; to put it as simply as possible, meta conditions are not favorable to Mega Beedrill, and they're only going to get less favorable as more and more megas get released and the opportunity cost of using it goes up and up from a point which is already WAY too high to justify using it... well, ever. Who gives a fuck if it's not using up a z move slot, it's using up a mega slot--something which is way less expendable than a Z move slot.

It isn't doing jack shit until Landorus-T is dead, all U-turning around is conducive to is wearing itself down on with SR (which it takes 25% from every time), Spikes and Helmet damage, it lacks any way of breaking a huge array of other Pokemon which can punish its U-turns even if by some miracle you manage to kill Lando-T while Beedrill is still alive, and as such it is just dead weight for the vast majority of the match versus any competently built team. Mega Beedrill's bad, and this argument is dragging on to the point of being physically painful to read.

Honestly speaking, this whole deal about Mega Beedrill is starting to become tiresome and repetitive. There is no doubt that it has some merits, for how limited and small they could be, but are they really worth it? I can't say for sure.

If it has to be ranked, I'd say it should be C- for now, since it isn't totally unviable. In case Pheromosa ends up banned or the metagame shifts in some way, then we may decide to rank it somewhere else. But for the time being, C- seems the best compromise.

this idea of "If Pheros banned we can just move it up" has merit. We don't need to rank it NOW, and i think the points against Bee are enough to justify it not being ranked. Its niche is "It hits harder than Pheremosa with its Poison Stab and U-Turn" but...if thats really an issue, why not use Scolipede? Which also beats Lando with Waterium-Z sets and beats Tapus, something Bee is NEVER doing. If you want a mega for Volt Turn shenanigans, use MScizor, it doubles as a Megagross check, provides valuable utility in its moveset and still hits hard with arguably better stabs.

tbh i'd move to Leave Beedrill Unranked with look into Blacklisting it if this keeps going in circles

Mawile goes in A+ imo. Its still a monster, theres just slightly more to...not so much stop it as give it pause enough to make it balanced, as the meta is now.

Mega Mawile to A+: Agreed. Mmaw is far too huge of a threat to not go unnoticed. It's stabs hit harder than a truck and it enough coverage to hit anything that resists it's stabs. Not to mention sucker punch which let's it get a huge hit on anything faster than it. However, this metagame is more inclined to more fast offensive type builds than last gen, and paired with the sucker punch nerf which hurts mmaw considerably, it's not as broken as last gen and shouldn't be higher than this.

Mega beedrill Unranked: Agreed. It simply can't compete against phero and there is literally no reason to not use phero instead. It's versatility and no mega stone requirement make it outclass mega beedrill easily. I agree to the above statement that it would probably be somewhere in B or B- if phero so happens to get banned. The arguments that bee hits fini harder or can hit toxapex are too niche to use a mega slot when mgross, mega scizor, and mmaw exist.

My post won't be much different than the above posts, but i'll give my thoughts

-->A+

Mega Mawile is so good right now because offense has almost no switch ins to it. It's extremely easy to bring it in on a slow U-turn onto a slower Pokemon and get a kill, and its decent typing and bulk gives it many set up opportunities. The only thing holding it back from S right now is its garbage speed, but it still outspeeds many defensive pokemon such as Skarmory. It also destroys fatter teams if they don't have dugtrio.

-->Unranked
this thing is garbage don't rank it plz

Beedrill ain't the same as Pheromosa, really. The coverage is different, Adaptability gives it more powerful STABs and makes it way better against the Fairies. Also, Poison type removes Toxic Spikes that bother Pheromosa and other shit. And don't forget it can remove Leftovers and shit from it's switch-ins with Knock Off, plowing the field for other mates to kill Ferro and Lando.
I'd say Pheromosa is more unpredictable and a dangerous sweeper, but is more easy to wall than Beedrill.
Still, it requires a lot of support from pivots and against entry hazards. It hates Rocky Helmet, Iron Barbs, Rough Skin, Flame Body and Static. Takes a mega slot. Gets hammered by any type of priority bar Mach Punch.
For those reasons, C+ for Mega Beedrill should do.

Does anyone have any replays of Mega-Beedrill working in a way Phero wouldn't?

To my mind, it does pretty similarly to Phero, other than Phero has more versatility in terms of sets (physical, special, or mixed), but mostly the two hit similar pokemon well, or pivot out. The exceptions are:

Phero has solid ice coverage, so hits Landorus T, Zygarde, Garchomp, Salamence, Dragonite, Tornadus-T etc., and better fighting moves (High Jump Kick/Focus Blast vs Brick Break), which allow it to hit some steels (Heatran, Excadrill, Bisharp, etc.), and Chansey. These latter mons are pokemon that Beedrill can also deal with, whereas the former ones (ground types) typically beat Beedrill.

Beedrill can run knock off (or pursuit, if you are feeling different), which hits Gengar and Aloan-Marowak, and has good general utility. Drill run is also a useful coverage move, and hits the above steels hard.

Interestingly, I think that Phero is beaten by Beedrill if it doesn't pivot out first. That said, Phero will typically pivot out, but Beedrill can U-Turn in response or use knock off on whatever comes in (and only megas and Z move users don't mind this).

Beedrill is also quite predictable. I think that U-Turn and Poison Jab are mandatory, so it can only pick between:
Knock-Off
Drill Run
Fell Stinger
Sword Dance
Brick Break
and Pursuit
(Perhaps Aerial Ace is an option, but this is really clutching at straws)
And it's almost only going to be one of the first two of these.

I think that all this means that Phero mostly outclasses Beedrill, but Beedril can do a couple of things Phero cannot - most notably it has dark coverage in knock off and pursuit. Without replays suggesting otherwise, I'd go for a C+ rank. Beedrill is too good not to be ranked, and can perform do a decent job at being an offensive pivot, but is not good enough to be considered a top tier threat. Its only real niche is taking out a couple of mons Phero cannot deal with, but it does most other things worse than Phero (I know - it has a more powerful U-Turn and Poison Jab, but I can't find too many mons this power increase is really relevant against), and is very predictable.

Most importantly, I think blacklisting Beedrill from discussion would set a bad precedent in terms of the addition of future megas (or even other mons that are currently in 'limbo'). Whenever potentially viable mons are added to the meta they will dominate discussion and this is not a problem in my opinion.

Last edited:
Tapu Fini should be ranked up to A. It's a great utility pokemon, with access to to taunt, defog, haze and nature's madness, a great move for wall breaking. It's ability misty surge makes it good on the supportive end too, keeping your pokemon safe from thunder wave, toxic, and will-o-wisp for five turns. Additionally, it has a fairly high special attack, making it argubly the best scalder in OU, along with moonblast if you want to go with a bulky special attacking set.

It's high defensive stats made it tedious to take out without eletric, poison, or grass type moves. This also lets it be a reliable switch in to many of the meta's biggest threats, such as Greninja, Landorus-T, Heatran, Zygarde, and more. In particular, it's ability to switch in on Mega Metagross, Mega Scizor, and Mega Mawile- three of the most prevalent offensive threats in the meta- make it really useful. You can switch in on them, scald, and cripple them with a burn.

I'm conclusion, Tapu Fini is a huge supportive threat, and deserves to be ranked up to A.

Last edited:
no clue why people are wanting to rank mega bee, it's outclassed by Phero in so many aspects it becomes irrelevant in the tier. Sure, mega bee has the stronger U-Turn and Jab, but that's literally it, you're running mega bee to be different at that point. I can agree on mega bee for C-, D, or Unranked.

Tapu Fini should be ranked up to A. It's a great utility pokemon, with access to to taunt, defog, haze and nature's madness, a great move for wall breaking. It's ability misty surge makes it good on the supportive end too, keeping your pokemon safe from thunder wave, toxic, and will-o-wisp for five turns. Additionally, it has a fairly high special attack, making it argubly the best scalder in OU, along with moonblast if you want to go with a bulky special attacking set.

It's high defensive stats made it tedious to take out without eletric, poison, or grass type moves. This also lets it be a reliable switch in to many of the meta's biggest threats, such as Greninja, Landorus-T, Heatran, Zygarde, and more. In particular, it's ability to switch in on Mega Metagross, Mega Scizor, and Mega Mawile- three of the most prevalent offensive threats in the mega- make it really useful. You can switch in on them, scald, and cripple them with a burn.

I'm conclusion, Tapu Fini is a huge supportive threat, and deserves to be ranked up to A.
But you can't switch in and cripple them with burns because of Misty Terrain, which is a huge reason why it's not a great check for Mega Metagross or Mega Scizor (at least the Defensive Defog set), and now even Mega Mawile.

Heatran busts through with Bloom Doom, Protean Greninja Gunk Shots (and Ash just U-Turns out and gets chip+momentum), Band Zygarde 2HKOs with Thousand Arrows (while Offensive Coil 2HKOs at +1 and eats Moonblasts).

The rise of Gengar and Phermosa also are not good, as Gengar has STAB Sludge Wave (and Specs Shadow Ball is good versus a no-recovery neutral mon like Fini), while Pheromosa can have HP Electric or just get momentum with U-Turn.

Scribble

formerly Dartrix - Joker
is a Contributor to Smogon

It's high defensive stats made it tedious to take out without eletric, poison, or grass type moves. This also lets it be a reliable switch in to many of the meta's biggest threats, such as Greninja, Landorus-T, Heatran, Zygarde, and more. In particular, it's ability to switch in on Mega Metagross, Mega Scizor, and Mega Mawile- three of the most prevalent offensive threats in the mega- make it really useful. You can switch in on them, scald, and cripple them with a burn.

252+ Atk Huge Power Mawile-Mega Play Rough vs. 248 HP / 192 Def Tapu Fini: 210-247 (61.2 - 72%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Tough Claws Metagross-Mega Thunder Punch vs. 248 HP / 192 Def Tapu Fini: 174-206 (50.7 - 60%) -- 85.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 0 Atk Technician Scizor-Mega Bullet Punch vs. 248 HP / 192 Def Tapu Fini: 138-163 (40.2 - 47.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 192 Def Tapu Fini in Misty Terrain: 147-174 (42.8 - 50.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

And so this isn't just a shit post, I can get behind Mega Mawile for A+

Mega Mawile has the highest attack stat in the game, things have a very hard time switching into it. Hell, even Stall has a tough time switching in to it, and basically is forced to sac something to trap it with Duggy (but Mawile can Sucker it, and EQ doesn't kill from full). It's super easy to set up a Swords Dance with Mawile and just start clicking buttons. It forces so many switches, has a great Steel/Fairy typing, Intimidate before mega evolving, and average bulk. After just one Swords Dance your Attack is already above 1300. It also creates the dangerous 50/50 Sucker Punch mind games. Unfortunately, its held back by its poor Speed (though it allows it to abuse Trick Room amazingly). I can't see this thing going any lower than A, but I also can't see this thing going to S. In a this Mega Metagross controlled meta, the mega slot argument holds more water, and the inability to use Mega Metagross or Mega Scizor alongside Mega Mawile is definitely a hinderance to its splashability.

Also would agree with Mega Beedrill for C-/Unranked. If Pheromosa gets banned then I would be 100% for this thing rising, as it's better than a lot of the C ranks, but it's so horribly outclassed that it's hardly worth using.

But you can't switch in and cripple them with burns because of Misty Terrain, which is a huge reason why it's not a great check for Mega Metagross or Mega Scizor (at least the Defensive Defog set), and now even Mega Mawile.

Heatran busts through with Bloom Doom, Protean Greninja Gunk Shots (and Ash just U-Turns out and gets chip+momentum), Band Zygarde 2HKOs with Thousand Arrows (while Offensive Coil 2HKOs at +1 and eats Moonblasts).

The rise of Gengar and Phermosa also are not good, as Gengar has STAB Sludge Wave (and Specs Shadow Ball is good versus a no-recovery neutral mon like Fini), while Pheromosa can have HP Electric or just get momentum with U-Turn.
Misty terrain only prevents status when it's the primary function of the move. If it's a secondary effect, like scald burning for example, it still works.

Additionally, although gengar is a threat, bloom doom heatran is fairly uncommon, switching in on a water/fairy type with a dragon/ground type is a dumb idea, and momentum isn't much of a problem with Fini being so bulky.

Mega Mawile -> A+

I can definitely get behind this. I've been using Maw on just about every team I make since it's release, and in my experience she picks up at a bare minimum one KO per game, but often one or two more than that. Her STAB is a nuke even unboosted, and +2 sucker is just as much of a challenge to deal with as it was in ORAS. It has enough coverage to surprise would-be checks and KO, landot can only switch in once (this is huge) and all you have to do is either sucker (if in range) or switch out and come back later to clean. It's special bulk, when invested, is quite solid and allows it to tank some very powerful hits (i've put the calcs for ashninja, koko, special mosa here before but it was a day or two before mawilitte release and thus is gone, but maw tanks some incredibly powerful hits).
IMO it has enough raw power and versatility to sit at the top of the rankings.

Mega Beedrill -> Unranked

What more needs to be said about bee... it has bad coverage, a uturner with steal rock weakness, no recovery, fell stinger is a god-awful meme, it can't even dream of coming close to breaking lando or celesteela or skarm, there are better uturners in the tier, STAB poison jab is a terrible argument for it to go higher cause phero kills the same fairies and outside that poison is a really bad attacking type..
Everything has been said. To rank MBee gives the impression that it's a good idea to try building around it. It is not.

EDIT: came back to edit just to say, while landot is in the tier at 50% usage, there is no reason to use MBee whatsoever. It's a waste of a teamslot.

Misty terrain only prevents status when it's the primary function of the move. If it's a secondary effect, like scald burning for example, it still works.
That's simply incorrect. As a general rule, you should be familiar with the game mechanics as well as the metagame before posting in these kinds of threads. If you theorymon all your points, you are more likely to make incorrect points.

If you show me a replay of Scald burning a grounded mon in Misty Terrain I'll change my mind, though.

That's simply incorrect. As a general rule, you should be familiar with the game mechanics as well as the metagame before posting in these kinds of threads. If you theorymon all your points, you are more likely to make incorrect points.

If you show me a replay of Scald burning a grounded mon in Misty Terrain I'll change my mind, though.
Oh, my bad, now I feel stupid.

Either way, my other points still stand, and it can natures madness the three aforementioned bulky megas then take them out, or send in another Pokémon to do so. There are aerial threats like heavy slam celesteela it can burn anyways.

I'm getting more of an aneurysm reading the past three pages than laning against a soraka...

Idk why everybody is so flustered about ranking mega beedrill, it has strengths, it has weaknesses, its not the same pokemon as phero, and the whole "opportunity cost of not using x mega" doesn't say much and applies to pretty much every other mega. (if not being able to use metagross is an actual competitive reason, remove every other mega in the tier from the list)

I just consider beedrill the latias to phero the latios, they are both usuable in this tier but one is generally the go-to pick while the other may be better in a specific situation (such as fairy assassination or pursuit trapping). Idk where I'd put it but its not any shittier than it was last generation where it sat in the... I *think* Cs while forced with protect (especially when phero, the comparable one, actually synergizes with beedrill decently well on certain teams).

But jesus christ, I hate to say this but blacklist my favorite pokemon, I've read like 2 post that actually give valid reasoning for why he's bad/good/inbetween.. everything else is just circlejerking its shit or shit post trying to prove that theory wrong in the most nonsensical way.

Good god. This Mega Beedrill argument has gone on for far too long. Just because someone makes a bad post that gets address by someone else doesn't open up the flood gates for everyone to jump on the bandwagon and also make post that are equally as bad. I'm pretty sure this was mentioned before but if you are going to make a nomination for something to be ranked somewhere/moved up, use a relevant replay to support your claim along with good reasoning.

It's honestly not that hard to make good posts in this thread. Making and repeatedly responding to uneducated degrades the entire quality of this thread and makes just obnoxiously hard to read through. Think your posts through and make sure it actually makes sense before you click "Post Reply" and this type of thing doesn't happen again.

I'm gonna have to go against the grain and nominate Mega Mawile for A rank. Maw is very reminiscent of Hoopa-U; it has no switch-ins but it has limitations that prevent it from being completely unstoppable this gen. It's bulk is actually sub par (it's physical bulk is fine but it's special bulk is quite bad) and it's slower than robocop (every relevant offensive mon outspeeds). Maw has trouble switching in directly and hates status meaning that it loves volt/turn or similar support and can't just be slapped on a team. It has advantages such as superior typing, powerful priority (that just makes 50/50s that aren't really in anyone's favor), and the ability to run multiple sets that put Maw over other powerful wallbreakers. For me however, its limitations put it at A.

Last edited:

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
IDK if this counts as a shitpost or not but can we be real for a sec

Ppl are arguing to keep Mega Bee unranked despite the fact that we have some absolute hot garbage like Talonflame, Mega Chomp, Minior, and Decidueye ranked.

If there's like a legit train of thought of Mega Bee is too unviable to be ranked we should legit be working on our definitions of what constitutes a rankable Pokemon since probably less than half of the Pokemon ranked C+ or would make the cut if we required them to be at M Bee's "power level"

There's probly not good reasons to use M Bee over Phero or M Meta but it's not like some raw hot garbage like some other shitmon like mega houndoom or something is idk I needed a random example

If anything we should probly trim C ranks but idk maybe not

IDK if this counts as a shitpost or not but can we be real for a sec

Ppl are arguing to keep Mega Bee unranked despite the fact that we have some absolute hot garbage like Talonflame, Mega Chomp, Minior, and Decidueye ranked.

If there's like a legit train of thought of Mega Bee is too unviable to be ranked we should legit be working on our definitions of what constitutes a rankable Pokemon since probably less than half of the Pokemon ranked C+ or would make the cut if we required them to be at M Bee's "power level"

There's probly not good reasons to use M Bee over Phero or M Meta but it's not like some raw hot garbage like some other shitmon like mega houndoom or something is idk I needed a random example

If anything we should probly trim C ranks but idk maybe not
Since this is supposed to be a resource for players potentially lacking knowledge of the meta, ranking beedrill, even in the C ranks, makes it sound like it has a unique niche, which it doesn't. Pheromosa is not an exact analogue, but close enough that there's really no reason to consider using Bee as your mega when you could just use phero, the reasons for which have been stated many times in these last couple pages.

And I'll say it again since no one in support of ranking beedrill has yet addressed it, landorus therian sits at about 50% usage, and beedrill can do absolutely nothing to it, except eat rocky helmet and stealth rock damage. That alone should be enough reason not to use it and not to suggest to other players that they should use it.

Looking at the C ranks though, I suppose I'd have no issue with bee sitting alongside such trash as whimsicott or decidueye or megachomp that also should never be used and doesn't deserve to be ranked.

Ok, Beedrill may not be the best mega in existence but it can still punch holes in a lot of the OU meta, and before you guys come at me with "M-Metagross can easily kill with Bullet Punch or trap with Pursuit" Beedrill can predict the m-meta switch in and go for a nice powerful double stab U-turn. So I wouldnt say that the bee is A+ or even A- material, but it can be at least a B- cause it has the most powerful Poison Jab in the game being able to almost OHKO Char Y. 150 attack STAB with Adaptability hurts, thats the only reason why Dragalge is used offensively. Of course it has it's counters, but Pokemon would'nt be as fun if you were unstoppable every match.

As for Mega Mawile, it lacks speed, meaning it has to take a hit to deal a much bigger one. Having access to Swords Dance and Sucker Punch means it is probably one of the most powerful megas and it has great coverage, getting access to elemental punches, elemental fangs, and Knock Off, Means it has great versatility, the only mon that can possibly take a +2 Play Rough is bulky Lando or bulky Arcanine, Arcanine would take it better though, The Intimidate, Will-O and Flare Blitz combo from Arcanine can defeat Mawile with added Rocky Helmet damage, or you can just be a bitch and Morning Sun every time you get put down to red. So Arcanine is a pretty good check/counter or whatever to Mawile. Even if Mawile kills, Arcanine's replacement can come in and deliver the finishing blow, so now i'll sit here and wait while one of you pull up calcs and try to prove me wrong.
Psssst.... Mega Mawile CANT U-TURN THOUGH. now Beedrill feels special that he has one beneficial thing he can do that Mawile can't. (I prefer Mega Mawile too)

Ok, Beedrill may not be the best mega in existence but it can still punch holes in a lot of the OU meta, and before you guys come at me with "M-Metagross can easily kill with Bullet Punch or trap with Pursuit" Beedrill can predict the m-meta switch in and go for a nice powerful double stab U-turn. So I wouldnt say that the bee is A+ or even A- material, but it can be at least a B- cause it has the most powerful Poison Jab in the game being able to almost OHKO Char Y. 150 attack STAB with Adaptability hurts, thats the only reason why Dragalge is used offensively. Of course it has it's counters, but Pokemon would'nt be as fun if you were unstoppable every match.

As for Mega Mawile, it lacks speed, meaning it has to take a hit to deal a much bigger one. Having access to Swords Dance and Sucker Punch means it is probably one of the most powerful megas and it has great coverage, getting access to elemental punches, elemental fangs, and Knock Off, Means it has great versatility, the only mon that can possibly take a +2 Play Rough is bulky Lando or bulky Arcanine, Arcanine would take it better though, The Intimidate, Will-O and Flare Blitz combo from Arcanine can defeat Mawile with added Rocky Helmet damage, or you can just be a bitch and Morning Sun every time you get put down to red. So Arcanine is a pretty good check/counter or whatever to Mawile. Even if Mawile kills, Arcanine's replacement can come in and deliver the finishing blow, so now i'll sit here and wait while one of you pull up calcs and try to prove me wrong.
Psssst.... Mega Mawile CANT U-TURN THOUGH. now Beedrill feels special that he has one beneficial thing he can do that Mawile can't. (I prefer Mega Mawile too)
I don't really know why you're comparing the two directly, when they play completely differently and are two entirely different Pokémon altogether. The best thing to compare Mega Beedrill to is Pheromosa -- I suggest reading up on Mega Bee on the previous pages, since everything's already been said by now. I know you want Mega Beedrill to be good -- trust me -- but it's just not. Not with Pheromosa and Landorus-T at large. I'm no longer posting on Mega Beedrill after this.

Moving on to Mega Mawile. This thing is a physical wallbreaker with brutally high power and a fantastic typing, but suffers from low Speed, the Sucker Punch nerf and mediocre special bulk, mostly due to its base 50 HP stat wearing it down. Its most direct competitor is Mega Metagross, a fellow Sreel-type wallbreaker with far greater defenses, still a high amount of power (if not as much) and, most importantly, fantastic Speed that it now instantaneously accesses upon Mega Evolving. Mega Mawile is still definitely a really good Pokémon, but its flaws make it A- for me, possibly A. Either way, it's now a far more manageable threat than it used to be. For now.

thats the only reason why Dragalge is used offensively
dragalge isn't used at all.

Of course it has it's counters, but Pokemon would'nt be as fun if you were unstoppable every match.
not that MBee would be close to unstoppable without lando-t as plenty of steels and fatmons ruin its day, but "of course it has it's counters" doesn't hold much water when it's counter is on literally every team.

this isn't VGC.

Psssst.... Mega Mawile CANT U-TURN THOUGH.
MMaw isn't a pivot and thus has no need for u-turn.

-> B-

It seems to me that Alolan Muk is more consistently useful than anything else in C+ right now. It counters and pursuit traps gengar, who's shown himself to be a very dangerous threat, none of the tapus can do much to it, and it can KO them all back, it can switch into anything Ash-ninja has besides specs hydro, it counters special attacking pheromosa, and protean ninja, it can handle magnezone outside of specs t-bolt. Tangs AV set has it sitting in A, and while AMuk's ability isn't nearly as good, it offers solid utility with knock off to remove items from forced switches, pursuit trapping, shadow sneak to pick off weakened sweepers, and poison touch can certainly be useful.

To me AMuk's niche is more akin to that of gastro or zong in B-, not alomomola or klefki in C+. It's a solid check to certain top-tier dangerous special attackers for teams that don't wanna stack fire or bug weaknesses (tang, celesteela, spdef ferro if that's a thing).

Last edited:

TMan87

We shall bow to neither master nor god
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I feel like MMawile benefits from some trends in the meta right now, I think.
It pairs really well with Protean Greninja (especially with HP Fire), since the latter threatens everything that could block MMawile's way, such as Heatran, Landorus, Ferrothorn, Metagross, and can weaken Magearna.
Keldeo is rising in popularity right now, and the two of them have good synergy both offensively and defensively.
Gengar being a big threat can also be considered a good point, since although Mawile won't switch in directly (Shadow Ball does a ton), she can pressure Choice sets since she's immune to Poison and threatens to use a SE Sucker Punch, which obviously OHKOes. This can lead to some setup opportunities.

Then again, I'm by no means a good player and I have no replays to prove my point, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)