Smocon 08 - Where?

Where should the 2008 Smocon be held?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The.Lost.Hylian

Conquer your Shadow
is a Researcher Alumnus
I'd love Boston, actually. Though Miami would still be my #1 pick because of the weather and the fact that I've got family nearby, Boston is someplace I've always wanted to visit.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
It's been said numerous times before, and I'll reiterate it here:

There is nothing that declares there can only be one Smocon. As awesome as it would be find one location and have everyone show up, it just isn't ecomically feasible or even possible. There's nothing that's stopping us from having a Smocon East/Smocon West kinda thing, for those that can't travel from one side of the continent to the other.

As for London... Fish and I discussed Smocon08 in Toronto, and when I mentioned London he jumped at the idea. We were by no means deciding the destination for Smocon08, but merely coming to the conclusion that a trip to London would be a great experience. It might end up just being him and I that go, and that wouldn't surprise me at all... but going to Europe is something I need to do before adult life catches up with me.

For those who are worried about expenses in London: the most expensive part of the trip will be the plane ticket, trust me. I don't think people realize the amount of people in the UK who would open their homes to us to stay, the McGraw's, the natalie's, the m0nkfish's, the Dan Dan's, etc. And you all can't forget that Fish and I have Uber friends over there as well, the Bonnett's and White's and Psybro's who are dying to have a beer with us.

All I'm saying is if there is any possible way I can get to Europe next year, I'm going. Anyone else who wants to go would be a pleasure to have along, but I don't expect many if any at all.

Voted New york, because im about 30 minutes from the city, so if its there im going, anywhere else, meh who knows my wallet isnt to full right about now.

I live in Toronto so it would be cool to do something in the GTA. However, Montreal is only a few hours away so I wouldn't mind spending the weekend away chilling with Smogon.

EDIT: As others have said, you can drink at 18 in Montreal and 19 in Toronto (and most of Canada too), so that might be a factor you would all want to consider.

The.Lost.Hylian

Conquer your Shadow
is a Researcher Alumnus
I've got friends in England from other communities, and I'm already planning a trip to Germany with a couple friends, I could possibly make it to England :)

Misty

oh
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
i will be honest, unless you are a well-known user among the top tier of the community, your vote is largely irrelevant, smocon is really not a place for randoms lol

also i am a pariah so i wouldn't go even if it were at my back door lol

Voted: "I'm not attending but I still want to vote for something", but only bothering to post in favour of that whole London thing. I'm not a hugely active member of the community but I'd show up for a London (or England) meet. London Hotels are expensive but you can find Hostels that are okay price-wise, provided people are willing to share the same room (in bunks). Just came off a hostel meet-up with a different forum, iirc it was 13 quid a night per person.

i will be honest, unless you are a well-known user among the top tier of the community, your vote is largely irrelevant, smocon is really not a place for randoms lol

also i am a pariah so i wouldn't go even if it were at my back door lol
Makes me wonder what happens at smocon for you "top tier" guys >.>

Articuno64

1 to 63 were taken
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
there's no way I can afford a trip to the east coast 3 years in a row. even if it was in san diego, that's probably too far for me since I'm still in school and need the money. so yeah, I'm out.

I will certainly go if theres one in toronto/mtl
so go to that one smogon because i am An Awesome DUde

edit: toy<3

I'm probably going to be going on a road trip to the US this summer, so I'd love to be able to drop by you guys and see what's up.

GreenPikachu

pumpkin pieco
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
like DM said, we could have multiple meet-ups. There could be a Smocon East, a Smocon West, and like a Smocon Europe, i mean it doesn't really matter. Whatever the northeast guys decide to do, I'll probably go there. I just want to meet and hang out with you guys in a relatively close area.

Also, I need to get back to Europe. Maybe this summer. So definitely let me know what's up, DM.

StrangerDanger

RETURN TO COMPETITIVE POKEMON ISLAND
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I'm not entirely sure if i matter or not (maybe later?), but i casted my vote for Miami, although i wish i hadnt, as NY is a more accessible location for me/many other users.

But yeah go NYC!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)