CAP 2 Smogon "Create a Pokemon" Part Deux: Discussion 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
Lol, I don't have much aside from The girl hair suggestion for the female version and random doodles. :x

Ok, so I'm just drawing up random sketches of this guy in action and am trying to come up with the pose ideas for his two sprites.

I'm having a bit of artists block though with his poses. What type of animation should he get and what actions will he do?

I'm hoping some suggestions can help me out of my slump here.
I could see one where he pushes his head foward, slightly leaning, as if yelling (maybe make the face a slight bit longer than usual to show this, despite lack of mouth), eye open wider than it usually would be (but not TOO open). Elbows at approximate 30 degree angles.

Then another could be a "strike" position, as if he's leaping onto his enemy. Right arm nearly entirely raised, left arm at approximately half height, elbow bent at 90 degrees.

If need be, I could do a quick (and likely bad) sketch to show what I mean if I'm not being clear.

Dane~ The "strike" poses make me think of him Hammer Arming some poor bastard to death.

How bout some sketches of it using some attacks, like Power Whip or Sand Tomb. Kinda image Sand Tomb being less sand and more entangling bandages coming out the ground.

Quick sketches, I can't even get the poses I wanted right. Ignore the fact that they rather suck, my artistic talent is... barely in existance. But I drew them trying to get the poses right, failed, but why not post them anyway.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Ok, so I'm just drawing up random sketches of this guy in action and am trying to come up with the pose ideas for his two sprites.

I'm having a bit of artists block though with his poses. What type of animation should he get and what actions will he do?

I'm hoping some suggestions can help me out of my slump here.
It's a little cliche, but you could have the mummy with his arms extended forward. The action could show it rocking left and right, with its arms straight out in front. This is the classic "slow lumbering monster" move that you see in all the bad horror movies. It's not very original, but it is a very "mummy" way to move. With only two poses, it's hard to animate any sprite. This move could be easily pulled off in two poses.

KoA

is an Artist
Here's just a quick doodle of him doing Falc-Focus Punch.

Still in the gutters about sprite positions. I wanna go for something that makes the opponent wanna go "Oh shit, I'm in for it now."

The stances are very cool, but are wrong. It looks like it's going to punch the screen, then magically turns 90º and punchs to the right.

Didn't I suggest Wring Out a while ago? I'm quite sure I did. Also, Hyra, Giga Drain and Grass Knot are still on the list on the first page. That's probably where Screw-On Head got that from.

Also, does this guy actually deserve to get Pursuit? Flavor-wise, I'm not quite sure I get it.

The mummy pokemon seems to be coming together nicely now.

KoA

is an Artist
The stances are very cool, but are wrong. It looks like it's going to punch the screen, then magically turns 90º and punchs to the right.
Alright dude chill out, those are just conceptual sketches. You need to Falcon Punch more.

I'm still puttering around on my end. :/

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
Everyone saying " bulk up is so broken!"

Not really, imo. Countered easily by spiritomb, it just gets burned and taunted, then owned by shadow ball. It may have afew other counters but thats all i can think of right now.

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
W-o-W easily ruins any hope of Bulk Upping. IMO defencive stat upping is never broken thanks to critica hits and the inability to boost an attack at the same time.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
W-o-W easily ruins any hope of Bulk Upping. IMO defencive stat upping is never broken thanks to critica hits and the inability to boost an attack at the same time.
Yeah. It's not as if we gave this Shed Skin or something that would allow it to heal status one out of every 3 turns or so.

Sunday

So, what? You're going on the 1 in 3 chance that you'll lose your burn and their counter will no longer be a counter due to that? It's still quite an effective way to force it out to lose it's stat boosts. I'll admit on it's own it's not the perfect counter.

What should the main Fighting STAB move be??
-
Close Combat
-Cross Chop (makes the most scence imo)
-Dynamic Punch
-Hammer Arm
-Super Power

Which, if any, of the Elemental Punches does this get??
-Fire Punch
-Ice Punch (i dont see this mummy using fire-/thunderpunch
-ThunderPunch

Does this get Recovery outside of Rest??
-Yes, move is Moonlight (fits better with a vengeful mummy than Morning Sun) (totaly fitting)

-No

Does this get Will-o-Wisp??
-Yes
-No (it has shed skin! 'nough said)

Does this get Hypnosis and associated moves?
-Yes (c'mon why not?)

-No

-
Close Combat
-Cross Chop
-Dynamic Punch
-Hammer Arm (Look at those beefy things. Ouch!)
-Super Power

-Fire Punch
-Ice Punch (Strategic voting, I'd prefer t-punch, but I think this has the best chance)
-ThunderPunch

-Yes, move is Moonlight
(I'm saying yes, but only because Moonlight is so situational)
-No

-Yes
-No

-Yes
-No (Leave that job to others on its team)

I did a little doodling and I came up with some concept sketches for poses.

Took a bit of work to get the body shape right.

Eventually, I just gave up on drawing in the wrappings. I can't seem to do it the same way twice.

I had the idea that the normal sprite is white with a yellow eye and gold bands, and the shiny is silver with a blue eye and blue bands, but the second part of the animation would have a different eye color (red for both).

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
-Fire Punch

-Ice Punch (Strategic voting, I'd prefer t-punch, but I think this has the best chance)
-ThunderPunch
i thought it was possible for it to get all 3? limiting it to 1 makes no sence.

-Close Combat
-Cross Chop
-Dynamic Punch
-Hammer Arm
-Super Power

-Fire Punch
-Ice Punch
-ThunderPunch

-Yes, move is Moonlight (fits better with a vengeful mummy than Morning Sun)
-No

-Yes
-No

*NEW*
-Yes
-No

-Close Combat
-Cross Chop
-Dynamic Punch
-Hammer Arm
-Super Power (bad option but I could see it on him)

-Fire Punch
-Ice Punch
-ThunderPunch
Does not really need a diverse physical movepool

-Yes (if it does not get bulk up)
-No (if it does get bulk up)
I don't think bulk up would be so broken on it if it couldn't recover, and vice versa, but both together is scary.

-Yes (it's a ghost after all)
-No

-Yes (I'd like hypnosis with the accuracy of sing, in other words I'm proposing a new move for it maybe, maybe um hypnotize lol)
-No

i thought it was possible for it to get all 3? limiting it to 1 makes no sence.
There are plenty of pokemon who can only learn one or two elemental punches, like Mawhile

Sunday

I started thinking more about this last night, but I really would like to see this Poke get Moonlight. Why? Well for one Air Lock needs a reason to be used. Having both abilities with decent purposes is great for the pokemon, and great for the analysis when I come to write it. It's also not as broken. It's no more than any other tank with slack off or such. Not having Shed Skin also leaves said Pokemon vunerable to status, and therefore requires a slightly higher level of support from it's team mates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)