CAP 1 Smogon's First "Create a Pokemon": Poll 3

What is the function of our new pokemon?

• Physical sweeper

Votes: 21 10.6%
  • Special sweeper

Votes: 46 23.1%
  • Mixed sweeper

Votes: 87 43.7%
  • Physical tank

Votes: 8 4.0%
  • Special tank

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • Physical wall

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • Special wall

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Supporter

Votes: 22 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
It would be broken to have Megahorn and Compound Eyes - the accuracy problem is to balance it. Besides, how is a moth going to use a "horn" against anything? I'm fairly confident moths have no horns.

@ futuresuperstar and Mario With Lasers - Why are we giving a moth Fighting-Type moves again? (Reversal/Brick Break/Aura Sphere) And Electric Moves to a Bug/Ice type at all? (Thunderbolt/Discharge/Charge Beam)
The reason for Discharge was because I thought at first a moth who lives at the top of a snow mountain would be closer to the storm clouds and would have some control over lightning. No real reason besides that, I admit. And it's a pretty flawed reason, now that I think about it again.

And Reversal was there just because Yanmega learns it too, but lol, Yanmega isn't even a Dragonfly... So yeah, the moth should only get it if it's some kind of humanoid moth. Otherwise, ditch them.

But I'm still for Discharge.

And gosh, people really want a mixed sweeper. For now, I don't see the moth going too well as a mixed, while the spider Crossellia posted was great for it.

Eric, I don't understand how 2 4x weaks and a 4x weak to Stealth Rock are not more crippling than a Pursuit weak or the ability to be walled? Almost every pokemon in OU has 1 certain solid counter, so being walled isn't too much of a disadvantage. Right now, it seems you want to go the jack-of-all trades, master of none route. You are keeping this thing from having OU stats where it needs them, and are content with Kingdra like mediocrity.

Fine, I can make this thing have less than 500 BST and still be a threat.

37 HP / 90 Atk / 50 Def / 125 SAtk / 50 SDef / 123 Speed. Wow, that's only 475 BST.

Also, Specs Alakazam can 2HKO Blissey with Focus Blast or simply Trick Choice Specs onto it, making Blissey a very risky counter to Alakzam.

You complain about this being too powerful, it lacks Infernape's godly Fighting Stab. That hits Super Effective on all the major Special walls, allowing it to go mixed with very little EV investment. This Bug/Ice Pokemon will not have the luxury, and it gets 2 switch-ins max, so it needs to avoid being walled, which is very, very bad for it.

I don't believe anything that only gets 2 switchins (Wish takes effect after you switch in) at most can be too over centralizing. It is hit or miss. Trust me, things like Dusknoir, Spiritomb and Suicune will tank this thing with ease. We could give it 140 SAtk and 110 Atk, they would still have the defences to deal with it.

Overall, you can't get too far with Bug/Ice typing. Its a cool typing, but doesn't have much synergy offensively (both resisted by Fire and Steel) or defensively.

^ 50/110/50/115/60/125 = 510 base stat and lol I just love making base stat for things xD

Hmm....a balanced stat yet still be able to actually threaten something, tougher than it looks.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Eric, I don't understand how 2 4x weaks and a 4x weak to Stealth Rock are not more crippling than a Pursuit weak or the ability to be walled? Almost every pokemon in OU has 1 certain solid counter, so being walled isn't too much of a disadvantage. Right now, it seems you want to go the jack-of-all trades, master of none route. You are keeping this thing from having OU stats where it needs them, and are content with Kingdra like mediocrity.

Fine, I can make this thing have less than 500 BST and still be a threat.

37 HP / 90 Atk / 50 Def / 125 SAtk / 50 SDef / 123 Speed. Wow, that's only 475 BST.
look i was not complaneing about the defences i think it should be a slightly (just slightly) more bulky mixed sweeper with atleast base 60-70 in hp/defences, more like
70/100/65/120/60/110
or
75/105/60/110/65/115

Also, Specs Alakazam can 2HKO Blissey with Focus Blast or simply Trick Choice Specs onto it, making Blissey a very risky counter to Alakzam.
ok good point, but Focus Blast has bad acuricy and not many 'zams carry trick (surprisingly)

You complain about this being too powerful, it lacks Infernape's godly Fighting Stab. That hits Super Effective on all the major Special walls, allowing it to go mixed with very little EV investment.
yes i agree with this
This Bug/Ice Pokemon will not have the luxury, and it gets 2 switch-ins max, so it needs to avoid being walled, which is very, very bad for it.
it has bug to hurt cressy and some others but i agree

I don't believe anything that only gets 2 switchins (Wish takes effect after you switch in) at most can be too over centralizing (SR is not on all teams and nor is it up all the time, with proper team suport the SR's can be cleard. Though i think we can find a more interesting ablility I think that the popular vote will go to ice shell (imunity to SR, Spikes, Toxi Spikes)). It is hit or miss. Trust me, things like Dusknoir, Spiritomb and Suicune will tank this thing with ease. We could give it 140 SAtk and 110 Atk, they would still have the defences to deal with it (i supose this is true (mabe slightly exagerated) but the main problam i have had with your stat spreads is that they are too like a superfast glass cannon, i'm more kean on somethin that can take a hit from a wall).

Overall, you can't get too far with Bug/Ice typing. Its a cool typing, but doesn't have much synergy offensively (both resisted by Fire and Steel) or defensively.
this is kind of true but ice is the most overused type and bug is good for cressy, and hits zong nutral. the pokemon will probably lern EQ to take down steels (exept skarm)
gothic togekiss said:
^ 50/110/50/115/60/125 = 510 base stat and lol I just love making base stat for things xD
can you give it a bit more defences/ HP (so its not to glass cannon like) and slightly lower speed, mabe base 110 or 115, it would still outrun almost all OU's

Hmm....a balanced stat yet still be able to actually threaten something, tougher than it looks.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I think these slightly-varying stat discussions are interesting, but likely in vain. Since this pokemon will be assembled by common vote, I bet it will end up with an insane 600 BST stat distribution, a movepool that Mew would envy, and an ability like Magic Guard that will make it more broken than anyone could imagine. I think people will do this in a misguided attempt to compensate for type weaknesses that are total fail.

Eric, you have argued for a pokemon that is not over-the-top powerful. You've advocated a subtle, nuanced pokemon that can work with a well-crafted team concept. While I think that is a noble goal, I think you are crazy if you think a design-by-committee will ever get there. We live in a world dominated by Garchomp sweepers and Blissey walls. This pokemon is going to be as OU as it can get. For every person that posts here and cares about pokemon theory, there are a dozen lurkers that will vote for Ice Beam, Megahorn, Uber-level stats, and Huge Power as an ability. I think there will be a tendency for this no matter what -- that's pop culture for you. But the glaring type weakness will just push it further in that direction.

Any notion of an artful, puissant pokemon that can only be appreciated by a learned hand... that's just wishful thinking.

Jesus, I can't even leave for one day without getting bogged down by posts.

I suppose the next poll is going to be discussing the base stat total so we can finalize the discussion here.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Ability: Compoundeyes. Set: X-Scissor (or Megahorn) / Thunder / Close Combat / Blizzard Mixed sweeper imo, although I fear that it's going to be hard to counter with the current existing pogeys.

Do we have a picture of this thing we're making?

I voted special sweeper. Bug/Ice, imo, harkens to snow ninjas. :o

bug/ice is begging for a mixed set involving Ice Beam / Megahorn, but i'd also love to see a straight-up physical sweeper with Ice Shard / Megahorn. oh well, it looks like mixed is gonna win out.

DougJustDoug

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Instead of pretending that multiple 580-600 BST pokemon are not on every single team in the universe (Mence, Chomp, Tar, Gross,...), here's a stat line for this ice bug that stacks up with the current dominant players of the OU metagame:

70/110/80/125/80/115

That's Scyther, with a little more speed and a lot more special attack.

For all of you proposing 50's and 60's for defenses and HP, you need to get real. This pokemon has plenty of defensive problems without being OHKO'd by neutral attacks. Heck, with those ultra-low defenses, a CB Garchomp can OHKO with Earthquake, and this pokemon RESISTS the attack. Puh-leeze.

Instead of pretending that multiple 580-600 BST pokemon are not on every single team in the universe (Mence, Chomp, Tar, Gross,...), here's a stat line for this ice bug that stacks up with the current dominant players of the OU metagame:

70/110/80/125/80/115

For all of you proposing 50's and 60's for defenses and HP, you need to get real. This pokemon has plenty of defensive problems without being OHKO'd by neutral attacks. Heck, with those ultra-low defenses, a CB Garchomp can OHKO with Earthquake, and this pokemon RESISTS the attack. Puh-leeze.

That's funny because I pictured this thing being a mantis with icicle-like scythes. :\

70/110/80/125/80/115

Wouldn't it die from a CB EQ from Chomps regardless of either having 70/80/80 or 50/55/60?

I think the vote has been slightly split (as there are many more versions of tanker than attacker), so would one of those checkmark polls be more useful?

If we do another one of these in the future, I think its appearance should be one of the earlier things decided on, so some movepool can be worked out based on looks, (e.g. if it doesn't have a horn, it ain't gonna be learning Megahorn any time soon) and its role can go from there. I mean, seriously, I can tell the majority of mixed sweeper votes were based on assuming Megahorn.

Wouldn't it die from a CB EQ from Chomps regardless of either having 70/80/80 or 50/55/60?
its resistance to Earthquake doesn't matter, it already has lost half of its life switching in. Honestly, this should be switching in on Blissey and Cresselia Ice Beams. In other words, unSTAB attacks it resists.

That ice/bug spider looks wicked. o.o

Cooper, I would suggest having the 4th Poll divide down the three options for what this Pokemon's role will be like, because I voted Supporter at first but after seeing all these suggestions, I want it to be a Special Sweeper. (Obviously, it's not looking that way.) Just a suggestion though.

its resistance to Earthquake doesn't matter, it already has lost half of its life switching in. Honestly, this should be switching in on Blissey and Cresselia Ice Beams. In other words, unSTAB attacks it resists.
It other words, it doesn't freaking matters if it have 70+ Hp and/or (sp)def, it's going to die horribly anyway.

DougJustDoug

Heracross is 75 HP/80 DEF, and takes ~55% from a max attack CBChomp EQ. That's with no defensive EV's. Metapod is 50 HP/55 DEF and takes ~100% from the same attack.

If we create a super-fast Ice attacker with Ground resistance that can't comfortably switch in on a rampaging CBChomp locked into EQ and shove a 4x Ice move up its ass -- then this pokemon is completely and totally FAIL.

Heracross is 75 HP/80 DEF, and takes ~55% from a max attack CBChomp EQ. That's with no defensive EV's. Metapod is 50 HP/55 DEF and takes ~100% from the same attack.

If we create a super-fast Ice attacker with Ground resistance that can't comfortably switch in on a rampaging CBChomp locked into EQ and shove a 4x Ice move up it's ass -- then this pokemon is completely and totally FAIL.
CBChomp(Adamant) using EQ on 104/0 Heracross: 52.29% - 61.77% SR added: 64.79% - 74. 27%
CBChomp(Jolly) using EQ on 104/0 Heracross: 47.71% - 56.27% SR added: 60.21% - 68.77%

Okay....image the same but for a little bug/ice friend and the different type thing.

DougJustDoug

CBChomp(Adamant) using EQ on 104/0 Heracross: 52.29% - 61.77%
CBChomp(Jolly) using EQ on 104/0 Heracross: 47.71% - 56.27%

Add SR and maybe SS and Hera screwed.
That's why I think this pokemon needs a way to deal with that. There's been lots of suggestions of abilities to let this thing come in on SR. I certainly hope we pick one of them. Otherwise this thing is doomed against EVERYTHING after SRocks do their thing. Add some spikes and SS and I don't know if this can survive any switch.

IMO, this thing is begging to be a "Garchomp Killer". With the obscenely OU play Garchomp is getting, this pokemon could really be a breath of fresh air. If we don't give it sufficient defenses to fill the role, that would be a shame.

DougJustDoug

That's funny because I pictured this thing being a mantis with icicle-like scythes. :\
Here's one of the pencil sketches I did when kicking around the "Ski Slope" ability.

The head is a direct copy of Flygon's head. Flygon has goggles for eyes to protect from sandstorm. Seemed appropriate for snow as well. Flygon also has bug-like pre-evos, so the bug look is there. Plus, I just love Flygon's look. The rest of the body is obviously based on a praying mantis. I didn't give it ice-scythes, but it could be worked in. The ski concept worked better on this than I thought it would. Something about the long torso of a mantis is oddly sled-like. Anyway, I considered this a "reject", but I thought I'd post it since the mantis theme has been raised throughout this thread.

So, I revamped the spider idea a little bit. I don't know if you guys even like it that much, but here goes. When I photograph the picture, the color fades out drastically so I tried to add some on my computer. Sadly, it's now really difficult to see the horn. It's an icicle horn which gives this the option to have Mega Horn. I gave it a bit of an X-Scissor look. As far as avoiding Stealth Rock, it'll probably have to lie in the ability. Or it has to go with the sled idea. This spider looks quick though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)