CAP 1 Smogon's First "Create a Pokemon": Poll 6, part 2

What will be the ability of our new pokemon?

• Compound Eyes

Votes: 43 29.3%
  • Ice Shell

Votes: 67 45.6%
  • Snow Warning

Votes: 37 25.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
People will vote how they want to vote. The previous polls have all been "take what the community wants", this'll be no different. If SW was wanted, it would have won already.

I do find it interesting that there are 113 votes with much less than 113 replies with reasons as to why they voted that direction. The silent majority sucks.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I voted for Snow Warning this time, because Ice Shell has a nice lead and looks like it will make the final two. Snow Warning makes a ton of sense, and would give Hail teams a legitimate option over Abomasnow.

As the originator of the original Mountaineer ability suggestion, I support the changing of the name of Ice Shell. My original Mountaineer suggestion was to make it immune to Rock. This is now a lesser form of the immunity. I like it.

I'm skeptical that this Pokemon has a prayer of making its way into the actual game. Pokemon is a billion-dollar franchise for Nintendo. It's one of the biggest game/entertainment brands in the world. There are dozens of online Pokemon fan sites, and many of them have created new pokemon. Heck, they've created entire custom games, complete with full pokedexes. This is great for the fans, but I doubt Nintendo notices this stuff at all. They have much bigger issues with making millions from games, movies, and merchandise. The likelihood that this pokemon, being created over here at Smogon, will be noticed by the Nintendo Pokemon behemoth -- is a longshot of monumental proportions.

But, I guess it doesn't hurt to hope...

If anything, having a gaming site design a new, not-broken pokemon for them would only make their job easier for them.

Too bad Compound Eyes is going to win. Using my pseudo-mod powers would defeat the whole purpose of the program though. I won't use them to influence the outcome of a poll, only what gets voted on (so no one bitch about Ice Shell).

^Maybe you should've stated in your first post that Thunder isn't an option on this Pokémon. I bet that would cut down Compoundeyes votes by half.

I'm skeptical that this Pokemon has a prayer of making its way into the actual game.
Beyond skeptical, I know that Gamefreak/Nintendo doesn't give two shits about the input of fan sites. The enjoy the free advertising to be sure but when it comes to making the game, they do things according to some marketing design they've had for years.

However, adding a community-built pokemon or two into a frequently Smogon-visited mod server is definitely a warm, successful feeling. We all spend so much time working within the constraints given to us that the opportunity to escape our box is too comforting to avoid.

Cooper, can we have a part 3 then, to decide between SnowWarning and Compound Eyes once and for all? Because I voted Ice Shell, and now it is obvious Ice Shell is going to win, I want to help out SnowWarning. (I eventually decided against Compound Eyes after someone mentioned this thing not getting Thunder...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)