Monotype Spooky Doom - Ghost Trick Room

Introduction

Hiya, I am Iggy96, a monotype player who is actually relatively new to the forums (this is my first RMT so bear with me). After doing well with this team in the seasonals and on the ladder, some friends suggested to have this team RMT´d and potentially further improved, so here we go:

Teambuilding Process

Starting off is the best Mega Ghost monos have access to: Sableye. Its main role on this team is support with Knock Off removing items from opposing Pokemon and dual status to either cripple physical attackers or bulky Pokemon respectively.

Next up we have Hoopa as the first TR setter for the team since the main problem with it is its mediocre speed. With its valuable coverage and overall power its main usage is to put up TR and then start breaking through teams.

The third addition was pretty much a must-have for ghost monos in gen 7 namely Mimikyu. With its amazing typing in Ghost/Fairy it can hit dark types with super-effective STAB while also putting up TR reliably thanks to its ability Disguise.

Pokemon number 4 is the main powerhouse of the team in Alolan Marowak. The combination of Swords Dance and a powerful STAB in Flare Blitz lets it easily break through bulkier teams while the extremly low speed lets it abuse the Trick Room to the max.

Jellicent was next added to help with Fire and Ground monos which the team would otherwise struggle against. It also runs Trick Room in order to make up for its bad speed while supporting the team with its water immunity.

Last but not least is Golurk as it´s one of two ghost types actually able to set Stealth Rocks which help the team a lot due to breaking Sashes and weakening Pokemon for the team´s sweeper(s).

The Team

Sableye @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 148 Def / 112 SpD
Careful Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Toxic
- Recover
- Knock Off
Sableye´s EV split is pretty standard making it bulky on both sides of the spectrum and providing the team with some valuable switch in opportunities to Dark or Ghost moves. The moves are fairly standard as far as Knock Off as support move removing items, Will O Wisp as a way of crippling physical attackers and Recover as reliable - well - recover move go. What is unique is Toxic as a way of crippling things like Suicune, Zapdos, etc who like to come in to take a Will O Wisp for a team mate which puts bulkier Pokemon on a timer and wear them down for the rest of the team.

Hoopa @ Life Orb
Ability: Magician
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Focus Blast
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
Hoopa´s attacking moves are pretty standard with the perfect coverage of Fighting, Ghost and Psychic hitting everything at least neutrally with Psyshock specifically helping against special walls. The last move is Trick Room in order to allow Hoopa to sweep. Life Orb is the item of choice in order to keep the damage output as high as possible further supported by maximum SpAtk investment and a quiet nature. Minimum speed is fairly standard since Trick Room is utilised.

Mimikyu @ Red Card
Ability: Disguise
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Play Rough
- Shadow Sneak
- Swords Dance
Mimikyu is running two STAB moves in Play Rough and Shadow Sneak which already hit a good portion of the metagame and especially helps with Dark monos. Swords Dance is used to increase the sweeping potential against monos like dark or dragon while Trick Room supports the team. The ability Disguise also allows it to put up Trick Room reliably while its item Red Card is mainly used to stop set up sweepers like Azumarill, Scizor, etc forcing a switch to a random Pokemon.

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Rock Head
Brave Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Bone
- Substitute
The main Pokemon to abuse the Trick Rooms set up by the rest of the team is of course Marowak-A. With its very low speed tier and amazing attack stat due to its item reaching a whooping 568 it´s the perfect Pokemon for sweeping under TR. The two STAB moves in Flare Blitz - which has no recoil thanks to the ability - and Shadow Bone it can hit most Pokemon extremly hard. Swords Dance helps against stall teams while Substitute allows it to avoid status and also not get revenge killed by Sucker Punch.

Jellicent @ Splash Plate
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Giga Drain
Since the team struggled a lot against most Fire and Ground monos Jellicent was added to compensate for that weakness. Offensive Jellicent may seem odd at first, but actually does pretty well with Surf being STAB and further boosted by its Splash Plate, Ice Beam covering Dragon and Grass types while also hitting things like Garchomp or Landorus for more damage. Rounding off that coverage is Giga Drain providing Jelli with some recovery and also allowing it to sweep through ground monos on its own.

Golurk @ Focus Sash
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Dynamic Punch
- Earthquake
The last Pokemon on the team is Golurk simply because it can put up Stealth Rock which aid the team by weakening things and breaking sashes. Earthquake is the STAB move of choice while Stone Edge hits Flying types and never misses thanks to No Guard as the ability. Dynamic Punch rounds off that coverage hitting Normal types and also having an 100% confusion chance which can help out in some matches.

Conclusion

So here´s the end of the RMT already. I hope you enjoyed reading through it and am open to suggestions on how to make this team even better.

Sableye @ Sablenite
Careful Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Toxic
- Recover
- Knock Off

Hoopa @ Life Orb
Ability: Magician
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Focus Blast
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball

Mimikyu @ Red Card
Brave Nature
- Trick Room
- Play Rough
- Shadow Sneak
- Swords Dance

Brave Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Bone
- Substitute

Jellicent @ Splash Plate
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Giga Drain

Golurk @ Focus Sash
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Dynamic Punch
- Earthquake

Credits
Shoutouts Alpha-Harpreet for the banner and for keeping me motivated to do this RMT even after it got deleted while being typed up. Also shoutouts to Nightwingg95 for the original build. Without those two this RMT wouldn´t exist, so a huge thank you to both !

Sableye @ Sablenite
Careful Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Toxic
- Recover
- Knock Off

Mimikyu @ Red Card
Brave Nature
- Trick Room
- Play Rough
- Shadow Sneak
- Swords Dance

Brave Nature
IVs: 24 Spe
- Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Bone
- Substitute

Jellicent @ Splash Plate
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Taunt

Golurk @ Focus Sash
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Dynamic Punch
- Earthquake

Cofagrigus @ Ghostium Z
Ability: Mummy
Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Trick Room
- Nasty Plot

Last edited:
Hello! I really like this team, especially the offensive Jellicent. I only have one major suggestion:

Put 24 Speed EVs on Alolan Marowak: This way you'll be able to outspeed Toxapex outside of Trick Room and possibly KO it before it gets the chance to Haze.

This next suggestion is more of a consideration, but it's still worth bringing up: Taunt on Jellicent. As of right now, your team is incredibly vulnerable to Vincune. Once you manage to phase it out with Mimikyu's Red Card, it'll still be able to come in and set up safely in front of Mega Sableye. But with Taunt on Jellicent, you can always beat it 1v1. As for what to replace, I'd say Giga Drain is the most replaceable, since you'll still be able to 1v1 Gastrodon and Seismitoad with Mega Sableye thanks to it having Toxic. However, this may compromise your Ground matchup a bit too much, so it's completely up to you.

I hope these suggestions help!

smub said:
Put 24 Speed EVs on Alolan Marowak: This way you'll be able to outspeed Toxapex outside of Trick Room and possibly KO it before it gets the chance to Haze.
I´ll defo make that change since Pex always gave me massive problems with this team (even with Hoopa because who´d stay in with Pex on Hoopa).

smub said:
This next suggestion is more of a consideration, but it's still worth bringing up: Taunt on Jellicent. As of right now, your team is incredibly vulnerable to Vincune. Once you manage to phase it out with Mimikyu's Red Card, it'll still be able to come in and set up safely in front of Mega Sableye. But with Taunt on Jellicent, you can always beat it 1v1. As for what to replace, I'd say Giga Drain is the most replaceable, since you'll still be able to 1v1 Gastrodon and Seismitoad with Mega Sableye thanks to it having Toxic. However, this may compromise your Ground matchup a bit too much, so it's completely up to you.
I´ll defo try it out and see how it works.

Thanks for the feedback [:

Another way this team has to handle Vincune is hyperspace hole on hoopa that breaks through substitute and protect. An issue with this is the low pp hyperspace hole has but is potentially useful for hitting it behind a substitute outside of trick room

Hello! I really like this team, especially the offensive Jellicent. I only have one major suggestion:

I hope these suggestions help!

I think you could remove tr from the jellicent and vest with shadow ball or roseli berry. Tr doesn't serve it all that well, in my opinion.

I think you could remove tr from the jellicent and vest with shadow ball or roseli berry. Tr doesn't serve it all that well, in my opinion.
I would say Trick Room is a very good move on Jellicent to allow it to outspeed a huge number of major threats and deal quite significant damage. Considering the nature of ghost, the type is bulky, powerful but slow so adding Trick Room to the equation allows it to hit hard, survive hits and outspeed. Assault Vest Jellicent isn't the greatest idea at the cost of Trick Room and Jellicent is going to be hit hard physically rather than specially anyway since most teams expect a bulky stally special defense wall. The team also has plenty of Ghost powerful STAB with Hoopa and Marowak so adding another pokemon with STAB doesn't benefit all that much. I would say Trick Room is a much needed move for Jellicent and for the team in general.

Vid

Our life is what our thoughts make it
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hello Iggy96,
I'm a big fan of Trick Room Ghost in general. I really like your Jellicent set because of the surprise factor it adds especially if you decide to use Taunt over Giga Drain most of teams weaknesses should be patched. After testing this team for a while, I noticed that the team has a couple major flaws. The biggest flaw being that outside of Trick Room the team has no speed control which means Taunt users can easily shut down this team down forcing unnecessary prediction when Trick Room isn't up. The only sure way to fix this problem would be adding Choice Scarf Gengar which doesn't really fit on this specific build since Hoopa is being ran. I found that Hoopa was very hard to successfully utilize under Trick Room because of how vulnerable it was to common priority and powerful physical attacks in general due to its terrible defensive typing and low Defense stat. I would often only have 2 turns of Trick Room left since it was almost impossible to use Trick Room with Hoopa. In turn I would usually only get a single KO maybe two if my opponent did not have the metagame knowledge to notice the team was Trick Room Ghost from the obvious Golurk.
I tried to address all of these issues in my rate.
Rate
  • >
    I know Hoopa is a great Pokemon in some matchups, but on this specific build of Trick Room with Red Card Mimikyu it is simply outclassed by Cofagrigus since it is free to run Ghostium Z which along with Nasty Plot turns Cofagrigus into a deadly late-game sweeper. Cofagrigus > Hoopa Typically Cofagrigus only needs to use Ghostium Z to break a single threat which makes it extremely easy for Cofagrigus to break its checks and counters. One of main issues with Hoopa is its low defenses leaving it easily revenged killed by priority and powerful physical attacks in general. Cofagrigus does not have this issue because of its good physical and special bulk allowing it to safely set up Trick Room. Cofagrigus acts as a better late-game sweeper than Hoopa due to its better physical bulk while Hoopa only has amazing special bulk compared to Cofagrigus' respectable special bulk. Hoopa also has an awful defensive typing stacking a Dark- and Ghost-type weaknesses. This change will give the team a better late-game wincon while also leaving wallbreaking duties to Alolan Marowak instead of making Alolan Marowak an unreliable late-game sweeper. With this change the team gains a great win condition along with another reliable Trick Room setter, which is very important since the team is extremely reliant on Trick Room since the team lacks Choice Scarf Gengar.
Good Luck with the team!
Cofagrigus @ Ghostium Z
Ability: Mummy
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Nasty Plot
- Hidden Power Fighting / Will-O-Wisp
- Trick Room

Vid said:
Hello Iggy96,
I'm a big fan of Trick Room Ghost in general. I really like your Jellicent set because of the surprise factor it adds especially if you decide to use Taunt over Giga Drain most of teams weaknesses should be patched. After testing this team for a while, I noticed that the team has a couple major flaws. The biggest flaw being that outside of Trick Room the team has no speed control which means Taunt users can easily shut down this team down forcing unnecessary prediction when Trick Room isn't up. The only sure way to fix this problem would be adding Choice Scarf Gengar which doesn't really fit on this specific build since Hoopa is being ran. I found that Hoopa was very hard to successfully utilize under Trick Room because of how vulnerable it was to common priority and powerful physical attacks in general due to its terrible defensive typing and low Defense stat. I would often only have 2 turns of Trick Room left since it was almost impossible to use Trick Room with Hoopa. In turn I would usually only get a single KO maybe two if my opponent did not have the metagame knowledge to notice the team was Trick Room Ghost from the obvious Golurk.
I tried to address all of these issues in my rate.
Rate
  • Ghostium Z which along with Nasty Plot turns Cofagrigus into a deadly late-game sweeper. Cofagrigus > Hoopa Typically Cofagrigus only needs to use Ghostium Z to break a single threat which makes it extremely easy for Cofagrigus to break its checks and counters. One of main issues with Hoopa is its low defenses leaving it easily revenged killed by priority and powerful physical attacks in general. Cofagrigus does not have this issue because of its good physical and special bulk allowing it to safely set up Trick Room. Cofagrigus acts as a better late-game sweeper than Hoopa due to its better physical bulk while Hoopa only has amazing special bulk compared to Cofagrigus' respectable special bulk. Hoopa also has an awful defensive typing stacking a Dark- and Ghost-type weaknesses. This change will give the team a better late-game wincon while also leaving wallbreaking duties to Alolan Marowak instead of making Alolan Marowak an unreliable late-game sweeper. With this change the team gains a great win condition along with another reliable Trick Room setter, which is very important since the team is extremely reliant on Trick Room since the team lacks Choice Scarf Gengar.
Good Luck with the team!
First of all, thanks for the huge feedback. While yes, the team lacks speed control outside of Trick Room I couldn't really find a way to fit in Scarf Gengar in this team.
Cofagrigus is an interesting suggestion I will for sure try out and see how it does. ^

Hey Iggy, big fan of Trick Room in general, and glad to see your offensive ghost team get so much success. I had one suggestion: have you thought about Water Spout > Giga Drain on Jellicent? In your replays there were definitely times when you might have appreciated the extra power, and though it is situational, I think it makes up for the fact that you're not using Jellicent in its normal defensive niche. Are there any instances where you've found Giga Drain to be particularly useful coverage?

Flygoner818 said:
I had one suggestion: have you thought about Water Spout > Giga Drain on Jellicent? In your replays there were definitely times when you might have appreciated the extra power, and though it is situational, I think it makes up for the fact that you're not using Jellicent in its normal defensive niche. Are there any instances where you've found Giga Drain to be particularly useful coverage?
I thought about it a few times yeah, but it would´ve made the water matchup a giant problem as Jellicent could´ve taken the hits and dealt nothing back making set up like Gyarados or Suicune a massive problem especially after Mimikyu´s Red Card. Giga Drain kinda helped with that since it was spamable vs Water and it beat Ground´s Water immunity making that matchup extremly easy for Jelli to win. However I´ve replaced Giga Drain with Taunt as it also helps against the mentioned set up sweepers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)