Spreading the Pain

Okay, so I wanted a team that focused on spread moves and used the best heavy hitters for each of the best spread moves. I started with the best Explosion. Due to the new Explosion rules, many people underestimate just how powerful Explosion remains. As such, I looked at the most powerful STAB Explosion.

Seriously? Only base 85 Atk? As such I decided that Likiliky wasn't the best option for this job. I moved on to the most powerful non-STAB Explosion.

Now that's more like it. Base 135 Atk and better stats overall than Gigalith (the only other base 135 Explosion user). I decided to make Metagross the first member of the team.

Moving right along, I needed the most powerful Rock Slide to compliment this nice Explosion. Rampardos hits hardest with Rock Slide, but with no speed, and terrible defenses, Rampardos isn't the best choice.

STAB Rock Slide? Check. High Speed? Check. Archeops is built to destroy the opposition quickly and effectively. It's defenses are very lacking, but with it's speed, it doesn't need to worry too much.

Now for the most powerful Earthquake. Ryperior was the hardest hitting of the Earthquake users. However, after playtesting a bit, I decided it wasn't working well and went for my old standard.

Okay, I needed my last starter. That was about it for the good spread moves. Heat Wave is usable, and Blizzard would be fun, but I didn't want to potentially stop an Excadrill sweep (which has happened on numerous occasions. I playtested this spot a lot. I tried CB Dragonite at first. CB Outrage took out a lot of threats very quickly, but I found myself stuck making decisions like, do I use Fire Punch to take out Ferrothorn and risk being destroyed by a potential Chandelure as the last Pokemon? I then moved on to Reuniclus. The only problem with Reuniclus was the fact that, in all reality, it really doesn't have good coverage. True, I can take out all the weather starters with it, but that isn't really helping me on a team that handles them well. I moved on from there to trying Hariyama a bit. Fake Out support was nice, but if I led with it, I wouldn't have Protect on it, I'd have Wide Guard, and while that is a very nice support move, it killed me to not have something that could stop itself from dying to Metagross's Explosion. I finally made my decision that I think has helped my team immensely.

Being a die-hard Flygon fan, I always hated that stupid Flygon wanna-be. True he was one of the best Pokemon OU had at the time in 4th gen, and for a while in 5th gen, but to be perfectly honest, people just didn't like him being around. I never really struggled with him personally, on OU teams that is, because I would run my Scarf Jirachi, which easily stopped Garchomp. However, I couldn't deny that it had a powerful STAB Outrage, and a powerful STAB Earthquake, and having Rock Slide was nice too. I went ahead and added Garchomp to the team.

Metalman @ Normal Gem
Nature: Adamant
Ev's: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
- Explosion
- Meteor Mash
- Bullet Punch
- Protect

Birdman @ Rock Gem
Ev's: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- Rock Slide
- Acrobatics
- Taunt
- Protect

Drill @ Earth Gem
Ability: Sand Rush
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- X-Scissor
- Protect

Garchomp @ Yache Berry
Nature: Jolly
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Rock Slide
- Protect

These four have been really solid, but I can't decide what other two Pokemon I want to use. I've tried using Reuniclus, Hariyama, Chandelure, Abomasnow, and Dragonite, but I can't seem to find the right two yet. If I could get some help on those that would be appreciated.

Just going to be really annoying now and say you should think of your last two mons before posting.

Aside from that, your team is terribly rain weak. None of your pokemon enjoy rain-boosted Surfs/Hydro Pumps, but I really can't make a suggestion because I don't know how your team is supposed to work, the two missing mons don't help in the slightest.

Last 2 mons are quite necessary as Fantom0 pointed out. A Tyranitar is pretty much completely necessary seeing as everything here doesn't mind/benefits from Sandstorm.

Metagross is walled by Steel, but seeing as you have 2 EQ users it's not the world's hugest worry.

Archeops should be Jolly to outrun a fair portion of the metagame. Also, Flying Gem would be a far superior item. Your Acrobatics are so heavily nerfed with any other item. Taunt requires much prediction, yet I think Archeops wouldn't use it much. The opponent will make getting rid of Defeatist a high priority considering Archeops' great attack.

Excadrill should use a Sash instead, to compliment his somewhat bad defensive typing. Earth Gem could only end up making you hit your partner harder(If you can't Protect).

Outrage is unreliable, but that depends entirely upon your luck.

A Flying type to resist all these Quakes would fit in nicely, as would a Ghost to resist MetaG's atomic Explosion's. Did someone say DRIFBLIM. They are kind of underrated, and Unburden is a great ability.

Admiral Kuzan

formerly MavsObbession
Hmmmm, a Rain team will completely demolish your team, just because none of your Pokemon will benefit from Rain.

Seeing that you team will really benefit from Sandstorm, why not add a Tyranitar, or a Hippodwoggon (whatever I don't know how to spell, lol). They both have the ability Sand Stream, which can quickly set up Sandstorm.

Excadrill can get OHKO'ed by a potential Earthquake or any physical move, just because of its low defense stat.

Outrage isn't that reliable, just because it randomly chooses which opponents' Pokemon to hit, and it can get confused after two to three turns.

Your Explosion attack on Metagross can really hurt your Pokemon as well. I understand you have Protect, but why not a Ghost-type of some sort? There are also some Pokemon with the ability Telepathy, an ability that avoids damage from teammates in a Double Battle.

Hope I helped! Ask me more questions if you need help!

I see what you guys are saying about T-Tar, I just really didn't want to run another genaric sand team. I do like Rock Gem on Archeops, though, as it compliments Excadrill's Earthquakes.

Also on the notion of the last two mons, as said very specifically I have tested several things, I didn't post anything because I've found nothing that works effectively. I definitely will try Drifblim, though, cause I love to use non-generic pokemon.

You can always try Hippowdown or a mon that carries Sandstorm but your team will definitely benefit from Sand. To counter rain, you can always add mons like Gastrodon and Ludicolobut it may not work all the time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)