ORAS OU Stoutland Sand Rush

Hi all,

I have been a long time lurker, but this is my first post AND my first RMT. I have been playing PS for 2 years now, but I am only now getting into Smogon and the forums. So, without further ado, here is my team.

HOW DID IT ALL HAPPEN?
I was playing Random - having a fine time at it - when I was given a Stoutland and I cursed my luck having never used it and assumed it was garbage. But it had straight POWER. I looked it up and saw an opportunity in the waiting. So, I built around it using the ability SAND RUSH.

THE TEAM

STOUTLAND @ Choice Band (The FLASH)
Ability: Sand Rush
ADAMANT 252 ATK/15 DEF/241 SPD
-Return
-Crunch
-Fire Fang
-Superpower

With 110 Base ATK coupled with the Choice Band, Stoutland is hitting everything that doesn't resist it HARD. No one ever expects it. The speed investment allows it to outspeed Mega-Alakazam by 1 in the sand, and basically everything else in the world. Crunch is for the ghosts. Fire Fang is for Jirachi specifically who we have lost against before. Superpower is for hitting all other Steel, Rock, etc. In the sand, he can kill 3 or 4 pokes in a row, because no one knows the power hidden inside.

HIPPOWDON Leftovers (JAWS)
Ability: Sand Stream
IMPISH 252 HP/4 ATK/252 DEF
-Stealth Rock
-Roar
-Earthquake
-Slack Off

I needed someone to set the sand up and Defensive Hippowdon worked best for me. He can set up the rocks, then roar anyone setting up out. Beautiful when he pulls in a Talonflame or Heracross. The Earthquake is there for the STAB. Slack Off is to keep alive. He takes so long to take down. The only issue is when he's the only mon left and the opponent is flying type. Yikes.

INFERNAPE @ Fist Plate (Sun Wukong)
Ability: Iron Fist
ADAMANT 252 ATK/4 SP. DEF/252 SPD
-Close Combat
-Mach Punch
-Flare Blitz
-Thunder Punch

Is that image too large? Yeesh. Infernape does work. My team is fairly weak to ice and Infernape takes ice types out easily. Closet Combat hits real hard. Mach Punch with IRON FIST, STAB, and FIST PLATE is deadly especially to Weavile---I hate Weavile. Flare Blitz is for the hardest STAB I can get physically. Thunder Punch is for Flying and Water types that try to come in thinking they got the upper hand. You're dead Talonflame! You're outta here Azumarill! Get back on the boat Charizard-Y!

^Is that Mega Metagross? Thanks google. (lol)

MEGA METAGROSS @ Metagrossite (Ganondorf)
Ability: Clear Body
ADAMANT 252 ATK/4 DEF/252 SPE
-Meteor Mash
-Zen Headbutt
-Ice Punch
-Bullet Punch

This is a standard Mega Metagross set. I went with Mega Metagross to patch up some holes in typing and his overwhelming power after mega evolution is amazing. Bullet Punch takes care of things that still outspeed. Ice Punch takes care of any 4X Ice weak mons and any Ground types or Dragons that I can outspeed. Meteor Mash and Zen Headbutt are the STABS of choice. He's nothing new, but he's good at what he does.

SERPERIOR @ Leftovers (Yoshi)
Ability: Contrary
TIMID 252 SP. ATK/4 SP. DEF/252 SPE
-Leaf Storm
-Giga Drain
-HP Fire
-Dragon Pulse

Ah, the king of the past few months and my favorite Unova starter. I needed someone to take care of bulky grass types and I needed more Special Attackers to mix up my play style. Serperior fit the bill perfectly. Leaf Storm + Contrary is, as we all know, a must for this serpent. After 2 or 3 of them, I can kill almost anything that doesn't resist. Giga Drain with the leftovers helps keep Serperior alive. Dragon Pulse is a standard Serperior attack and HP Fire lets me hit steel and grass types for super effective damage. It gets work done.

TOGEKISS @ Leftovers (Peaches)
Ability: Serene Grace
CALM 252 HP/4 SP. ATK/252 SP. DEF
-Air Slash
-Roost
-Heal Bell
-Dazzling Gleam

Lastly, I settled on Togekiss because I needed something to Heal Bell away statuses, because this team is easily crippled by Paralysis and Burn. I wanted something to match Hippowdon's Defense on the special side as well so I can try and achieve good balance. Air Slash + Serene Grace lets me Flicnh anything slower than me and it seemingly works more than 60% of the time. Roost is to keep this puppy alive so I can come back in on it and Hel Bell some more later in the match. Dazzling Gleam is the only real Fairy stab we can use with Togekiss, so I have it.

Together, this team and I have won about 80% of our battles together. No one ever expects a Stoutland. It's diabolical really. But we do have our share of weaknesses:

THE THREATS

MANAPHY - Manaphy is really scary against this team. With one Tail Glow, Scald and Ice Beam gnarl my team. I have 3 ice weaknesses and Infernape's Thunderpunch can only KO under the right conditions. When I see it, I roar it out with Hippowdon because despite it usually having 2 moves to hit Hippowdon specially, players usually click the Tail Glow instead.

JIRACHI - I have lots of ways to fight Jirachi - but the ^^%*^% seems to never want to go down. Flare Blitz on Infernape hits pretty hard, but no one else has the power to take this fella on. It's the reason Stoutland has Fire Fang, but that's assuming the sand is still going and Stoutland is still in good health.

WEAVILE - Other ice types, we can outspeed and take hit from --- but Weavile OHKOs Serperior and can revenge kill Togekiss AND Hippowdon. He's a nightmare.

I look forward to hearing your input!

Hey NeoAquarius12, first and foremost, welcome to Smogon :]. Regarding your team, its a nice attempt at sand offense but I do have numerous suggestions that I strongly feel will optimize its potential.

1. Sand Rush Excadrill > Stoutland. Stoutland may seem decent on paper but in practice it really is not the best mon to be using in the current ORAS OU metagame on a serious competitive team. It is largely inferior to Excadrill in nearly every way (Lower base AtK, lack of dual STAB, no resistances with the exception of a lone ghost immunity, lack of Swords Dance, rapid spin, etc).

2. I suggest running Stone Edge/Rock Slide > Roar on Hippowdon for checking opposing Talonflames. It is an extemely big threat to your team at the moment and you lack a reliable answer to it.

3. Infernape should run Jolly Nature to outspeed base 100s (Charizard, Manaphy, M-Gard, etc.), aswell as being able to speed tie with Keldeo. I'd also highly recommend you swap out thunderpunch for u-turn as thunderpunch is situational at best since Infernape's neutrally-effective STABS will do more than a super-effective thunderpunch. Not to mention U-turn is a great scouting move in general that allows you to gain switch advantage in battle.

4. Similar to Infernape, I recommend you running Jolly > Adamant on Metagross to speed tie with opposing base 110 mons

Excadrill (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance/Rapid Spin
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Iron Head

INFERNAPE @ Fist Plate (Sun Wukong)
Ability: Iron Fist
Jolly 252 ATK/4 SP. DEF/252 SPD
-Close Combat
-Mach Punch
-Flare Blitz
-U-turn

HIPPOWDON Leftovers (JAWS)
Ability: Sand Stream
IMPISH 252 HP/4 ATK/252 DEF
-Stealth Rock
-Stone-Edge/Rock Slide
-Earthquake
-Slack Off

MEGA METAGROSS @ Metagrossite (Ganondorf)
Ability: Clear Body
Jolly 252 ATK/4 DEF/252 SPE
-Meteor Mash
-Zen Headbutt
-Ice Punch
-Bullet Punch

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)