SM OU Sub-Punch Buzzwole Balance

How good is this team?

• Total voters

Introduction

After about a year of competitive battling I would say I've improved by a decent amount. However I am generally bad at teambuilding. I would say only about 1/20 of my teams are even usable and this is one of my better teams.

The Team

Buzzwole @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 204 HP / 192 Atk / 12 Spd / 100 Spe
Adamant Nature
Substitute
Focus Punch
Leech Life
Ice Punch

I wanted to build a team around Sub-Punch Buzzwole because I have always loved to use this set and it would give me a way to break stall. It functions as a wallbreaker and can act as a check to some physical attackers, such as Mega Gyrados. The EV spread is the standard Sub-Punch spread. Leftovers helps to make up for the HP lost by Substitute. Focus Punch is a 150 BP STAB move that works well with Substitute. Leech Life is another good STAB move that helps heal Buzzwole. Ice Punch was chosen for coverage in order to hit Pokemon such as Salamence or Lando-T.

Mega-Metagross @ Metagrossite
Abilty: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Spd / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
Earthquake
Meteor Mash
Pursuit
Zen Headbutt

I then picked Mega-Metagross due to the offensive and defensive synergy between it and Buzzwole. It functions as a fast wallbreaker that can Pursuit trap threats to Buzzole, such as Mega-Alakazam. The EV spread is pretty self explanatory. Earthquake hits Alolan-Marowak, among other things, but mostly Alolan-Marowak. Meteor Mash is a must-have STAB move on Metagross due to its power and occasional attack raise. As mentioned before, Pursuit is used to trap and Elminate threats to Buzzwole and the rest of the team. Zen Headbutt is used as a secondary STAB attack that can be used to hit Toxapex harder.

Zygarde @ Groundium Z
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Spd / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
Dragon Dance
Thousand Arrows
Outrage
Extreme Speed

Zygarde gives the team a few things. It gives the team a Ground-type to stop Volt-Switches (Although I have to be wary of HP Ice. It also gives the the team priority and a set-up sweep. It appreciates Buzzwole and Metagross's ability to weaken or eliminate its checks and counters. Dragon Dance is used to sweep the opponent . Does Thousand Arrows even need an explanation. Outrage is for STAB. Extreme Speed is for priority. Groundium Z lets Zygarde break Pokemon it usually has troubles with.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
Evs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spd
Calm Nature
Flamethrower
Moonblast
Stealth Rock
Soft-Boiled

Clefable completes the Fairy-Dragon-Steel core while also providing the team with a status absorber and a Rocks setter who can easily be kept alive in order to set up Rocks multiple times throughout the match. Flamethrower is used to hit Steel-types while Moonblast is used due to it being Clefable's best STAB attack. Stealth Rock is for residual damage. Soft-Boiled is for recovery. The EVs are meant to better handle certain Pokemon. Leftovers is used for recovery and Magic Guard protects Clefable from indirect damage.

Tornadus-Therian @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Spd / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
Hurricane
Heat Wave
Knock Off
U-turn

Tornadus-Therian provides the team with a decently bulky pivot who can cripple the opponent with Knock Off and use U-turn for momentum. Hurricane is a powerful STAB attack and Heat Wave is for coverage against Steel-types. Assault Vest greatly increases Tornadus's special bulk. The EVs maximize Speed and HP while minimizing Stealth Rock damage.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
Volt Switch
Defog
Hidden Power Ice
Roost

To be honest Zapdos is mainly a placehold hazard remover because I had a hard time picking a hazard remover and still haven't really decided. Volt Switch is used for bringing in the team's more offensive Pokemon safely. Defog is used to remove hazards. Hidden Power Ice is for Lando. Roost is used to heal Zapdos so it can Defog as many times as I need.

Import https://pastebin.com/gtfkhdu7

Conclusion
Overall, this team struggles against Vocarona, Zard-Y, and Gengar. I would epecially appreciate recommend changes on my hazrd remover. I would prefer ideas of Pokemon that reliable recovery for that role. Any other ideas are greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)