Such Is The Way Life Works (ou Warstory)

My team

Hello people. My name is KurashiDragon and this is my first warstory. I usually dont try to make warstories sense I don't battle that often. However this one turned out to be semi fair in a time where my good battles are filled with hax and/or not that good. This one is at least fair so I decided to make a warstory. I hope you like it.

Rules:
Ladder Match
Sleep Clause
Freeze Clause
OHKO Clause
Evasion Clause
Species Clause
Strict Damage Clause

- Comments in blue
- Lefties and status damage shall be removed

spudsalt sent out Dragonite (lvl 100 Dragonite ?).
KurashiDragon sent out Jirachi (lvl 100 Jirachi).

Ok. This is my trick Jirachi with t-wave over U-turn. I've always considered this Jirachi special in the sense that instead of focusing on getting rocks up I focus on crippling opposing leads. My Jirachi is bulky enough to take hits even with investment and can just come back in and stealth rock later. I'm facing A Lead Dnite right now which is so obviously an anti lead. They're often predictable in that aspect but it never stops them from doing their jobs. Crushing the opposing lead. I decide against stealth rock as it will just kill of my Jirachi anyway and put me in a terrible situation. Trick is the best move as I can gain momentum by switching to the appropriate check for its move.

Jirachi used Trick.
Jirachi obtained Life Orb!
Dragonite obtained Choice Scarf!
Dragonite used Earthquake.
It's super effective!
Jirachi lost 71% of its health.

Dragonite: 100% Scarf Tricked
Jirachi: 29%

Easy trick. Anti Lead Dnite are actually quite predictable. I guess they thought I wanted to get my stealth rock up but as stated before, I focus more on crippling leads than getting stealth rock up. Still, I'm in a bad situation as it stands. My Jirachi obviously won't take another earthquake so I decide to switch out here. Fortunately with that scarf my rotom will check it nicely.

spudsalt switched in Bronzong (lvl 100 Bronzong).
KurashiDragon switched in Rotom-h (lvl 100 Rotom-h).

Bronzong: 100%
Rotom-h: 100%

Oh a double switch. A Bronzong no less but that’s not a problem for me. My double status Rotom will just burn that thing. It'll get up stealth rock but that's not a problem either because there's only one pokemon on my team that's weak to stealth rock and it doesn't particularly care with a recovery.

spudsalt switched in Slowbro (lvl 100 Slowbro ?).
Rotom-h used Will-o-wisp.
Slowbro was burned!

Slowbro: 88% Burned
Rotom-h: 100%

A Slowbro? Slowbro and Bronzong? It's pretty obvious that I'm dealing with a Trick Room Team. It's a problem cause I never thought of that when I built my team. Most people never do so when one comes it winds up being really bad. Even though I'm sure it'll trick room I don't wanna take the chance of Rotom being hurt simply cause it's my slowest and therefore my most valuable pokes right now.

KurashiDragon switched in Celebi (lvl 100 Celebi).
Slowbro used Trick Room.
Slowbro twisted the dimensions!

Celebi: 100%
Slowbro: 82%

Exactly as I suspected a trick room team. Now my starmie is crippled to the point of being useless in this battle and the t-wave for both my jirachi and Rotom is now useless. It's a problem but I guess I'll have to make due. Well now that it's got trick room up chances are it'll probably switch out sense, to the best of my limited knowledge of slowbro, it doesn't have a move that can take on my celebi. So I'll hidden power the switch and scout.

spudsalt switched in Dragonite (lvl 100 Dragonite ?).
Celebi used Hidden Power.
It's super effective!
Dragonite lost 100% of its health.
spudsalt's Dragonite fainted.
Celebi lost 10% of its health.

Celebi: 90%
Dragonite: 0% KO
Score 6 - 5: KurashiDragon

Wow I can't believe that worked the way it did. Dragonite curses my hypocritical ways as a dragonite lover before desending into the the mega inferno. In all truth, even though Dragonite had a scarf on it I was still kinda fearing it. Anti lead Dnite is always really powerful and I'd have difficulty taking it on with only 1 viable steel type to take it on.

spudsalt switched in Marowak (lvl 100 Marowak ?).
KurashiDragon switched in Scizor (lvl 100 Scizor ?).
Marowak used Fire Punch.
It's super effective!
Scizor lost 100% of its health.
KurashiDragon's Scizor fainted.

Marowak: 100%
Scizor: 0% KO
Score 5 - 5: Tie

Marowak's are something I have no experience with. When it came in I wasn't particularly sure what it would do. Because of this, I thought of flavor instead of competitive moves and thought about night slash instead of fire punch. I switched to Scizor hoping to be right and my answer was a fried Scizor as I see fire punch. I have no idea what this thing is but I do know it's gonna be annoying if kept alive. I switch back to Celebi to take this thing out.

KurashiDragon switched in Celebi (lvl 100 Celebi).
Marowak used Fire Punch.
It's super effective!
Celebi lost 82% of its health.
Celebi used Leaf Storm.
It's super effective!
Marowak lost 100% of its health.
spudsalt's Marowak fainted.
Celebi's special attack was harshly lowered.
Celebi lost 8% of its health.
KurashiDragon's Celebi fainted.

Celebi: 0% KO
Marowak: 0% KO
Score 4 - 4: Tie

Ok so two things were easily figured out this turn. First, I had completely forgotten that trick room was up and two, this Marowak is clearly banded to be able to do that much damage even with Fire Punch. However my Celebi is bulky enough to take the hit and kill it with leafstorm before going down by it's own life orb. It's now time for the infamous double switch. I need to go to my rotom as it's the only viable pokemon as it's the slowest member on my team with trick room up.

spudsalt switched in Metagross (lvl 100 Metagross).
Metagross used Trick.
Metagross obtained Leftovers!
Rotom-h obtained Iron Ball!
Rotom-h used Will-o-wisp.
Metagross was burned!
The twisted dimensions returned to normal!
Metagross was hurt by its burn!

Rotom-h: 100% Iron Ball Trick
Metagross: 88% Burned

Ok so he brings in Metagross which is a good thing for me. I go for the will-o-wisp but I get the response of iron ball trick. I can understand why he did that but at the same time I don't know what he was thinking. Iron ball negates my levitate ability but reduces my speed to levels to where my rotom is trick room viable. Not only that but they must've known I'd will-o-wisp cause, they saw me do it with Slowbro. I guess they were just thinking of my rotom as a problem and negating its ability as a good solution.

Metagross used Earthquake.
It's super effective!
Rotom-h lost 34% of its health.
Rotom-h used Thunderbolt.
Metagross lost 39% of its health.

Rotom-h: 66%
Metagross: 49% Burned

And so the obvious happens. Metagross uses earthquake but will-o-wisp nullifies its potential power. Still, it's enough so that it'll seriously nutear my Rotom if I let it stay in. So I decide to go to my Dragonite. It's a bulky version so it doesn't mind trick room due to the limited speed it possesses before a dragon dance.

KurashiDragon switched in Dragonite (lvl 100 Dragonite ?).
Metagross used Earthquake.
It doesn't affect Dragonite . . .

Dragonite: 100%
Metagross: 36% Burned

Dragonite comes in and laughs at Metagross' failed attempt at damaging it. Still now I'm in a conundrum. I'm fighting a Trick Room team which means that Dragonite can't Dragon Dance simply cause Trick Room would be far to problematic for a +1 Dragonite. I also need to remember that metagross has a plentora of moves that can take on Dragonite as it Dragon Dances. So I guess dragon dance is officially useless this battle. Curse you for making my one set up move useless. I'm at full health so there's no need for roost either. I want to take this metagross out so I guess earthquake is the viable move right now.

Dragonite used Earthquake.
It's super effective!
Metagross lost 36% of its health.
spudsalt's Metagross fainted.

Dragonite: 100%
Metagross: 0% KO
Score: 4 - 3: KurashiDragon

An easy kill. Metagross curses my dragonite from beyond the grave as dragonite looks on worridly. It has a reason to be as well as it can't do it's job proporly and wont be near as useful in this battle. Especially with bronzong resisting all it's attacking moves.

spudsalt switched in Mesprit (lvl 100 Mesprit).
Mesprit used Trick Room.
Mesprit twisted the dimensions!

Rotom-h: 66%
Mesprit: 100%

Mesprit . . . I guess it was a good time to reveal it. I do know that this thing is the heavily balanced version of the lake trio so it's got good defenses. I can't have Dragonite stay in so rotom is my best choice for this situation. I can now shadow ball it and kill it off. Hopefully it'll do a good amount of damage.

Rotom-h used Shadow Ball.
It's super effective!
Mesprit lost 49% of its health.
Mesprit used Ice Beam.
Rotom-h lost 34% of its health.

Rotom-h: 32%
Mesprit: 51%

That did alot more damage than I thought it would. Unfortunatally though, it's not enough. Not only that but it seems Mesprit did enough damage that it would kill my rotom next turn. It also means that it has the power to kill my Dragonite with ice beam when it switches in. It's a bad situation but I'll make due.

Rotom-h used Shadow Ball.
It's super effective!
A critical hit!
Mesprit lost 57% of its health.
spudsalt's Mesprit fainted.

Rotom-h: 32%
Mesprit: 0% KO
Score: 4 - 2: KurashiDragon

So the first major interference of hax shows itself. I'm not a big fan of uncontrolled hax. Jirachi and Togekiss are slightly different cause it's actually a viable strategy and there's nothing I can do about that but Things like crit hax is just terribly game changing. In this instance rotom would've died if it wasn’t for that crit hax. I don't like it weather it's on my side or not. Whatever the case Mesprit is dead and now I'm awaiting his next poke as he curses the hax gods.

Bronzong used Earthquake.
It's super effective!
Rotom-h lost 31% of its health.
KurashiDragon's Rotom-h fainted.

Rotom-h: 0% KO
Score 3 - 2: KurashiDragon

And so Bronzong comes in out"Slows" and kills off my Rotom with earthquake. I'd say that's vengeance for the crit hax but what's done is done and there's nothing I can do about that. I decide to switch into Dragonite as it's my only viable switch at this point. I can stall out gyro ball with roost for a little bit then it'll be down to a stall fest.

spudsalt switched in Slowbro (lvl 100 Slowbro ?).
Dragonite used Roost.
But it failed!

Dragonite 100%
Slowbro: 76%

So he decides to switch in Slowbro predicting the roost. That's fair enough. Admitingly I wasn't thinking this turn. I wanted to get in stealth rock as it would possibly help but I completely forgot about trick room. This mistake will cost my Jirachi it's life this battle. So long Jirachi.

KurashiDragon switched in Jirachi (lvl 100 Jirachi).
Slowbro used Trick Room.
Slowbro twisted the dimensions!

Jirachi: 29%
Slowbro: 70%

Slowbro used Surf.
Jirachi lost 29% of its health.
KurashiDragon's Jirachi fainted.

Jirachi: 0% KO
Slowbro: 64%
Score: 2 - 2: Tie

Such is the way life works. I decide against Dragonite as it can be damaged severely by a possible ice beam and even psychic would hurt. Even though it's fast enough that trick room will be problematic, my last pokemon starmie will at least be able to hurt it with t-bolt.

KurashiDragon switched in Starmie (lvl 100 Starmie).
Slowbro used Psychic.
It's not very effective . . .
Starmie lost 21% of its health.
Starmie used Thunderbolt.
It's super effective!
Slowbro lost 64% of its health.
spudsalt's Slowbro fainted.
Starmie lost 10% of its health.

Starmie: 69%
Slowbro: 0% KO
Score: 2 - 1: KurashiDragon

Easily taken down. I guess starmie wasn't totally useless this battle. A good thing to. Now bronzong will come back in but my Starmie will take major damage from it's attacks. I'll switch to Dragonite with the hope that it'll be able to wall Bronzong's Gyro Ball Successfully.

Bronzong used Gyro Ball.
Dragonite lost 55% of its health.

Dragonite: 51%

Nope. Dragonite unfortunately won’t take this next gyro ball and trick room is still up. It's unfortionatae and I only blame myself. See ya next battle Dragonite you were a good asset this battle even if you couldn't do your job....... LUV YOU!

Bronzong used Gyro Ball.
Dragonite lost 51% of its health.
KurashiDragon's Dragonite fainted.

Dragonite: 0% KO
Score: 1 - 1: Tie

...... This is now officially a good thing. It'll waste a turn setting up Trick room which means I can hopefully end it. These last few turns I've been scared of how much damage Gyro ball would do to starmie sense its defenses leave something to be desired. Now this battle draws down with that fear taking head.

KurashiDragon switched in Starmie (lvl 100 Starmie).
Starmie used Surf.
Bronzong lost 51% of its health.
Starmie lost 10% of its health.
Bronzong used Trick Room.
Bronzong twisted the dimensions!

Starmie: 59%
Bronzong: 49%

Nice That means I can 2hko it and end this battle. Still I don't know how much gyro ball will do. I click surf with the hope that this battle ends in my favor. In any case it was a good battle. Lots of good moves and little hax. My knowledge of his pokes cost me but overall this battle was good.

Bronzong used Gyro Ball.
It's not very effective . . .
Starmie lost 51% of its health.
Starmie used Surf.
A critical hit!
Bronzong lost 49% of its health.
spudsalt's Bronzong fainted.

Starmie: 8%
Bronzong: 0% KO
Score 1 - 0 KurashiDragon

Alright I won. It was a good battle with good moves. Later I did a check the damage for gyro ball and found it wouldn't have been enough for starmie to get koed. I also found out that my Starmie’s surf actually did the maximum amount of damage to Bronzong the first turn. The amount of damage that can be done is 43.8% - 51.8% as calculated on Smogon’s calculator. This battle was far more lucky for me than I expected and that crit in the end actually did matter. Such is the way life works.

Props and slops

Props:

1. We had a good battle which is not something that happens very often.
2. Hax wasn't that prevalent in this battle which is a good thing.
3. Me for deciding to put in Celebi soon before this battle happened. It's a good choice.

Slops:

1. That Iron Ball Metagross tricked to me wound up being much more helpful than problematic. I'm not sure if they meant to trick it but that happened and it changed the tide of battle.
2. Hax. It wasn't that prevalent but it came up at key points in the battle which changed the tide drastically. Curse you hax for never giving me a fair battle.
3. Me for wiping out my own Scizor simply cause I didn't have enough info on pokes outside of ou. As an add on to that and combined with people constantly stating this, I now know that marowak's main item is a thick club which is more useful to it than a choice band.
4. Neither of us got Stealth rock up. This battle would’ve likely been very different if either one of us had gotten stealth rock up early in the game.
5. As Stated by chateau, it's not a good idea to trick a scarf to lead dragonite unless you wanna get swept by an otherwise slow pokes. T-wave is your friend people.

Spudsalt’s Team:

Conclusion:
This battle is a good battle for me, but it taught me something. That if I wanna be a successful battler, I need more knowledge of the battle scene. It's a common misconception that uu pokemon aren’t viable in ou. If you don't have information of major threats in the pokemon Environment your gonna get rolled up and cast aside as one of the minor majority.

I thought this was a decent warstory, your comments were above average in my opinion but were let down by an average battle. Props to you though! I look forward to your next one!
By the way, Marowak holds the Thick Club, which doubles its attack, so its actually even more powerful than if it was holding a CB.

Add to the slops, "Tricking a Scarf onto opponent's Dragonite". Once LeadNite has done it's anti-leading it would love the ability to revenge kill. Otherwise, good format, interesting read.

Thanks Chateau. I put that up in the slops. Valuable information Frair. Remember this people. Valuable information for pokes that are rare and annoying without the right information.

You're welcome.

Edit: The battle was okay, it seems that you weren't using your head too much. Marowak doesn't learn Night Slash and always uses Thick Club. I also think that using Dragon Dance wouldn't have been as bad of an idea as you thought it would be as a +1 Dragonite can inflict some massive damage and the only Ice attack you rain into was Mesprit's Ice Beam

Personally, I really thought that the only reason you won was because Starmie got a crit. Bronzong stood a damned good chance of surviving a hit and dishing out the KO the next turn. As you said, such is life, and your battle did have a lot less hax than I imagined, but they did seem to come at crucial times.

Also, it's nice to see another Trick Room user. It's an underrated strategy that deserves more warstories.

7/10.

Not that entertaining to be honest, but not too poor I guess. You do know that Marowak gets Thick Club, right? It doesn't need a CB.

Yea and even if it wasn't a crit the chances of getting a kill were remarkably against me. I thank the hax gods for giving me the win and at the same time curse them for never giving me a good battle.

@bearsfan092

Your the second person to tell me this and you'd be the 160 somthing person I've told this. It helps to have information of threats ou or otherwise.

I also noticed that you thought Marowak wielded a Choice Band. Why would it, it has Thick Club at its disposal.
The battle got decided by hax and a bad play (The Bronzong shouldve just attacked, without max damage Starmie wouldve fallen), so yeah...not the best. Well written tho.

Thanks Lou. Once again I had no knowledge of thick club. Well I did I just wasn't thinking about it at the time.

@ Zacchaeus' edit:

During the time I could get up dragon dance I had no idea what Metagross' moveset consisted of. It actually stayed in too so it was obviously going to do something. I have a feeling it was explosion. I didn't wanna take a chance so I just attacked as stated during that turn.

Just a correction. You said Brongzong 'OutSlowed' your Rotom, but, it didn't.

Iron Ball ignores Trick Room, a pokemon equipped with an Iron Ball ALWAYS goes last. Trick Room or no Trick Room.

Yeah iron ball just gives you -2 speed which means that you will most likely be slower but it doesn't ignore trickroom

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Meh, this was too average for my taste, nothing interesting happened throughout the battle. On top of that, your and your opponent's lack of experience was evident, and that was unappealing. However, the formatting was easy on the eyes and it's obvious that you took your time writing this, and for that I commend you.

Your opponent could have won if they just used explosion at the end. There where also some other strange plays throughout the match, But still pretty decent warstory with good comments and format and such.

Just a correction. You said Brongzong 'OutSlowed' your Rotom, but, it didn't.

Iron Ball ignores Trick Room, a pokemon equipped with an Iron Ball ALWAYS goes last. Trick Room or no Trick Room.
The item your thinking of is Lagging tail not iron ball.

@Artix:

True very true he had a much cooler team than I did which a bunch of pokes I've never seen in ou before. If this weren't my warstory I'd agree with you 100% lol.

Thank you very much everyone.

SlottedPig

sem feio
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
It's a common misconception that uu pokemon aren’t viable in ou. If you don't have information of major threats in the pokemon Environment your gonna get rolled up and cast aside as one of the minor majority.
I'm going to have to disagree with you here; most battlers know that UU pokemon are perfectly viable in OU, just with smaller niches; like Milotic and Vaporeon. Shaymin was also used by an INCREDIBLE amount of top battlers in the Salamence Suspect test.

--EDIT--

I forgot to rate your warstory.

4/10 because of the hax, your lack of knowledge about marowak, etc. Comments were pretty bad, failed to show what you were thinking until it already happened.

@ ThePowerWithin

Actually when Salamence was in ou there wasn't very much of shaymin anywhere. I feel it's more of a change in metagame that temporarally makes people view the ou canidates in uu. Vaporeon has always been ou or at least as long as I've been competitive which was near the platinum age. I actually don't understand why milotic isn't ou right now sense it's the only bulky water, I can see in ou, with a viable recovery. I can also see someone working with that semi valuable ability to make it viable to the superpowered freaks in todays ou metagame. Finally, I can understand the first two reasons of that 4/10 but I never felt that bad. I tried to make it so my past tense of comments corrisponded (Misspelling) well with my next turn.

I found the warstory somewhat average, it basically came down to a misplay on his part on his end. 4/10

One HUGE tip you should follow: Have this and this open whenever you use Shoddy Battle. You can run calcs to ensure you're making the right moves, and then check the movesets/items/EV spreads of Pokemon you don't know very well, so you can play accordingly.

average battle, above average comments. I thought it was good though. I like seeing a trick room team. props to the opponent.

I think the Iron Ball tricking was a good move. He knew Trick Room was ending that turn and so he would outspeed after the trick. If you hadn't Will-O-Wisp'ed he would have gotten an easy KO with Earthquake and even when you did, he should have tried to finish off Rotom before starting Trick Room again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)