SV DOU Sunroom (Sun + Trick Room)

With the introduction of the latest DLC we were blessed with a very special mon:

raging-bolt.jpg

Raging Bolt, aka Raging goat.
With 75 base speed and pretty bulky defenses with a great special attack stat, it makes great for a damage dealer in a trick room team.

However, there is a even greater feat; it gets protosynthesis , enabling you to get even more special attack to compliment that 137 special attack.

Both these feats make him perfect for a Sunroom team. Featuring the other slowboi protosynthesis mon, Brute Bonnet.

I am currently still laddering but I just got 1504 so I decided this is now the best time to post, to share with others and receive some criticism so I can change and make my team better. :mad:

without further ado lets start with the sun setter;

The Sun Setter:

0e32c68a002b53b.png

Torkoal @ Heat Rock
Ability: Drought
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Eruption
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Protect

Not that shocking, Torkoal as a history as a sun setter and a trick room attacker; sporting one of the best defense stats in the game, with a solid 85 base special attack, it allows it to stay relatively safe and healthy while blasting destructive eruptions while under trick room. Just be careful of his not as good Special Defense, I usually switch him out by turn 2 or 3 if I do not think His eruptions will have impact (I almost always protect turn 1 if I am planning on clicking my trick room button, as the risk of losing the damaging eruptions is devastating).

Try to keep Torkoal alive as I have him as my only Sun setter, his bulk and ability to survive any single hit is enough to not consider anything else; Some would want to t run a different item but I think Heat rock is the best as the more sun turns you have the less risk you have of torkoal dying, plus having to worry about 5 turn sun and 5 turn trick room sounds not fun.

Never consider Ninetales; who is fast, has worse special attack, gets mogged by earthquake, and doesn't even have eruption.

The Trick Room Setters

cresselia.png

Cresselia @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Levitate
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 240 HP / 132 Def / 136 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Psychic
- Lunar Blessing
- Trick Room
- Ally Switch

Base Standard set, All of these moves are pretty useful; the biggest downside is that if you can imprisoned (which is usually a psychic type's job) you kinda just have to switch out in shame, or stay in bitter and potentially do nothing.

Cresselia's Bulk is insane, I legitmately don't know another mon that can tank so many things like her I see people target her with two moves and I just know she'll live it all even if one (or even sometimes two) are super effective. Her being alive allows her to switch and heal with everyone on her team as well.

I don't know if Safety Goggles is the best item for this team, but it came in clutch vs sleepers so I think it is. Not much more to say honestly, Cresselia has been the star support trick roomer since its debut.

Keep in mind to Tera dark vs prankster mons who will taunt you then eat you alive for breakfast :P
diancie.png

Diancie @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Clear Body
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Diamond Storm
- Body Press
- Trick Room
- Protect

Another standard set stolen from smogon.com, Its not shocking, great bulk, stab spread move that gives you even more bulk and makes your body press even more threatening, literally nothing else to ask for.

Maybe mental herb would be better but theres no item that gives you more dopamine like weakness policy. Not to mention I'd like this team to function without trickroom as much as possible, which weakness policy allows her to do great damage, and with the ability to tera grass she'll be around for a while.

Why I chose them

The Trick room section was a bit dull, but before moving on I would like to say I chose them because they allow for diverse typing and the ability to threaten other mons, Cress is a must have in every trick room team in my opinion and having a mon that can do fighting type damage and rock type damage is very useful for this team. especially when it can take a hit. The only other Pokemon I would consider is Hatterene, who has her own benefits, however cresslia provides para/poison/burn recovery and ally switching, so she can't take her spot. And while she also has a spread move, fairy typing, and solid bulk. Diance's spread move does not require set up to do more damage and cannot be negated by dark typing.

With that mouthful done lets move on,

The Sun sweepers (who don't even need sun to sweep)

ragingbolt.png

Raging Goat (Raging Bolt) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Electric
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Solar Beam
- Draco Meteor
- Volt Switch
- Weather Ball

Honestly, this pokemon is so good it's scary. I do not think there is any pokemon in the game that doesnt atleast take neutral damage from all of their attacks. Stab Draco, Stab volt switch (which allows for turn 1 phasing vs other weather teams to ensure some great sun fun and late game phasing to safely get your trick roomers in), Solar Beam handling grounds in sun; and sun boosted weather ball.

I kept the Tera type electric because I am uncreative but also because sometimes you need that extra volt switch damage in late game when you're down to the 2v2 or 2v3, I also find I am usually preferring to use my Tera's defensively on my sun or trick room setters.

Assault Vest allows you to tank so much, Ice moves and Fairy type moves will not kill you guranteed.

In sun you will 1 or 2 shot mostly anything, you are the threat. But the best thing about Raging Bolt is, like I mentioned in the little title section you do not need sun to even do damage. Raging bolt does so much damage you will be a threat no matter what, Even if you don't have trick room you will be tanky enough to at the very least trade one for one, which is what you need in the late game sometimes.

I may switch volt switch with another electric type move, but right now I feel good about Volt switch. Thunderclap or Thunderbolt being alternatives you could look at and may consider.

brutebonnet.png

Brute Bonnet @ Life Orb
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
- Spore
- Seed Bomb
- Sucker Punch
- Close Combat

Not shocking to see the slowest Protosynthesis Pokemon on here, Not having to worry about investing in speed allows you to invest in bulk, which makes you quite a bit tanky, With trick room up you can spore the threat to your current 2 teammates out and then target the other mon.

When not in trick room Fighting Type and Fairy Type moves are still scary but you can tank one move usually then get your spore off, you can then proceed to sucker punch the adjacent mon and maybe score a nice KO, This is usually assured if you are in sun. You will not believe how useful sucker punch has been to pick off low health targets that I'd have otherwise no realistic option to kill, the only downside is that you lose to every other sucker punch variant when not in trick room, which can be sad.

Tera dark for sucker punch damage obviously, You could maybe run a defensive tera type to ensure more spores, but I am stupid and would rather see big damage.

All things considered, you should see this as your physical variant of Raging Bolt in a way; while raging bolt can demolish threats specially, Brute Bonnet can demolish threats physically. While not having undefeated coverage you can spore anyone you could not kill.

Brute Bonnet is probably the most useless outside of trick room but still is able to make great things happen.

Final Pokemon (just a generic trick room mon that can benefit in sun)
rhyperior.png

Rhyperior @ Iron Ball
Ability: Solid Rock
Tera Type: Ground
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpD
Brave Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Thunder Punch
- Fling

He's so good. I love this little guy on my double teams, he does so much damage can tank so much physically. His special def leaves a lot to be desired but his water weakness is easily ignored with sun up. Sadly his grass weakness is still there but you're more likely to see water moves than grass moves.

Great coverage overall, Earthquake may be questionable to some, but with 2 protect mons, a levitate mon, and a grass type you can usually earthquake at least one or twice. Fling iron ball is a very funny tech option. It lets you go first in trick room due to your less speed; but it also destroys psychic and pesky ghost types with fling, we love 130 Base Dark type damage.

Sadly this mon is probably the one mon I may consider switching in a later build, hes really good at what he does, but what he does not do is very apparent. However for now, one of my favorite doubles mons will stay on my team and show up.

Tera ground for extra meaty earthquakes (Rock may be better so you don't do extra meaty damage vs your other pokemon but I usually only use tera EQ when cresselia is there to help heal him anyways.

Leads

Just gonna go over leads real quick, 50% of the time torkoal and Cress; but you also may want to do Torkoal and Diance if you need a rock type or a protect for fake outers. I also mentioned already but having a volt switcher to then switch to either torkoal or a trick roomer also comes up, usually vs imprisoners or rain setters.

I'd say like 5% of the time or less you go the other two mons, it happens but it is rare.

Conclusion

I'd like to thank John Pokemon for making an ability that boosts stats in weather that is not speed, very fun and entertaining. Feel free to leave criticism and I will take notes and even maybe change this post if notable enough. I love hailroom in gens 4 and 5 of DOU so having the ability to play weather room and not for it to feel like I'm on a strict time limit for weather based mons to be useful is great.

Pokepaste for those who want to try: https://pokepast.es/707bde7c649196e3

#bringbackpermaweather

Last edited:
I'm going to make small recommendations. (Click on the sprites for sample sets for those mons.)

1)
1705201619385.png
-->1705201633174.png
You have no redirecter or fake out user. Such roles are not always necessary but having one would give you a much easier time in setting up Trick Room. I would replace Brute Bonnet with Rillaboom to fill in that role.
2) 1705201666527.png
The niche of Rising Bolt is its strong priority move, Thunderclap, which can be made stronger through Calm Mind. However, if you are going to use Thunderclap, then you have to be wary of Psychic Terrain. Hence, this is why I recommended in using Rillaboom. Being able to use two priority attackers will make your team even more effective outside of Trick Room.
3)
1705201679632.png
-->1705201690117.png
Rillaboom is a very common mon in DOU, so Rhyperior isn't ideal. A better mon would be Ursaluna which has the capability to OHKO many mons.
4)
1705201721758.png
-->1705201735098.png
Torkoal is fine, but I personally wouldn't use it if its sole purpose is to activate Protosynthesis. Instead, you can use Volcanion. Using Volcanion means you won't have to worry about weather wars. Volcanion is also a mon that can function pretty well outside of Trick Room.

The sample sets for Rillaboom and Ursaluna is pretty standard. For Volcanion, you can opt to use the Assault Vest set instead. If you got any questions, feel free to ask.

Edit: I had to make a correction. Raging Bolt must have 20 IVs for Atk and Spe.

Last edited:
I'm going to make small recommendations. (Click on the sprites for sample sets for those mons.)

1) View attachment 592056-->View attachment 592057
You have no redirecter or fake out user. Such roles are not always necessary but having one would give you a much easier time in setting up Trick Room. I would replace Brute Bonnet with Rillaboom to fill in that role.
2) View attachment 592058
The niche of Rising Bolt is its strong priority move, Thunderclap, which can be made stronger through Calm Mind. However, if you are going to use Thunderclap, then you have to be wary of Psychic Terrain. Hence, this is why I recommended in using Rillaboom. Being able to use two priority attackers will make your team even more effective outside of Trick Room.
3) View attachment 592059-->View attachment 592060
Rillaboom is a very common mon in DOU, so Rhyperior isn't ideal. A better mon would be Ursaluna which has the capability to OHKO many mons.
4) View attachment 592061-->View attachment 592062
Torkoal is fine, but I personally wouldn't use it if its sole purpose is to activate Protosynthesis. Instead, you can use Volcanion. Using Volcanion means you won't have to worry about weather wars. Volcanion is also a mon that can function pretty well outside of Trick Room.

The sample sets for Rillaboom and Ursaluna is pretty standard. For Volcanion, you can opt to use the Assault Vest set instead. If you got any questions, feel free to ask.

Edit: I had to make a correction. Raging Bolt must have 20 IVs for Atk and Spe.
Honestly. Ursaluna sounds very good. I should've thought of that, will probably add it right now.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)