Super Smash Brothers Brawl Discussion #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can have jump be your X button and your L or R button. Just set whichever shoulder button you don't use to shield with to jump, and only use it when you need to zap jump.

Now...
Were any of you tournament go-ers back in melee or have gone to any brawl tournaments yet? I'm wondering because I'm going to my first on the 28th, and I'm really quite anxious. What advice would you give to someone like me, who's going to his first non-local tourney?

Besides get prepared to lose, because I'm already conditioning myself for that part.

thank you!
There's one thing above all others that you need to keep in mind when you're at the tourney - you're there for the experience and to have fun. Some of the seasoned players will be there for the money, but even they're going because they love smash. I would always get nervous at my first couple tourneys, and would always perform really badly, but once I learned to just chill, it was great. The smash community tends to be pretty friendly, so if you're waiting forever for your match, instead of getting all anxious about it, just sit back and strike up some conversation with the others in your pool or whatever. If a match isn't going exactly as you'd like, take it in stride, taking note of what's going wrong, and instead of panicking, just try to get some space and reform your game plan. If you lose, you lose. Encountering someone better than you isn't a bad thing. It just tells you that you need to work on some stuff. Don't forget to keep good sportsmanship before and after games, though. Basically, don't tense up for no reason, just take things as they come, and roll with it. I'm sure you'll have a great time. Good luck.

You can have jump be your X button and your L or R button. Just set whichever shoulder button you don't use to shield with to jump, and only use it when you need to zap jump.
Thanks for the advice leafgreen, but unfortunately...I tried that. It totally seemed like a good idea, but since the shoulder buttons take a while to press down....my (X) + (R) press is thrown off by the time it takes to fully press (R) in comparison to fully pressing (X). =(

It's okay though, I think I can manage without the "zap jump." Though I must say, it LOOKS really really cool!!! =D

Hm... alternatively, you could try making Z a jump button and turning Y into your grab button. Would take a little more getting used to, though.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
It's not hard to do with a regular control scheme, but I have my L button set to Jump anyway just because it allows me to jump with my left hand and attack with my right hand when doing certain precision actions. ;/ Easier to hold down to rising UAir spam with MK, too.

I don't even use the L-Button. I find that my right index finger is usually fast enough to press R for all of my shielding or dodging needs.

But I'm sure I'd have a much better at evading attacks if I could just somehow wire my brain to use the L- Button. Do any of you have any suggestions on teaching myself how to use it?

I don't even use the L-Button. I find that my right index finger is usually fast enough to press R for all of my shielding or dodging needs.

But I'm sure I'd have a much better at evading attacks if I could just somehow wire my brain to use the L- Button. Do any of you have any suggestions on teaching myself how to use it?
Ummm play with L button as the only option for shielding? I used to use R but I changed to L when I decided I wanted to make R specials (Pikachu reasons). I'm not even close to ambidextrous and switching was easy after a few matches.

Also, speaking of controller changes, how easy is it to go from a Gamecube controller to a classic controller? All of my Gamecube ones have frayed wires, and I was thinking that if I can't find a Gamecube controller that I might go for a classic, considering the similar button layout (and extra button if I wanted to use it).

Oh, I never considered that, thanks for the suggestion. That'll probably mean losing a few matches at first, but I'm okay with that!

I've never been to a Smash tournament myself. My parents have promised twice that they'll take me to one, but both of them "were busy" the days they occurred. Furthermore, I'd kinda just be by myself there, and I'm not really one to go up to people (especially people that are probably years older than me) and start a conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)