ORAS OU Surprsingly Amazing. (Mega Alakazam.)

All credit goes to Team Pokepals for making the team! I wanted to use Mega Alakazam, it's a very under rated mega that deserves to be used more. If people gave it a chance, you would see how powerful it is with that massive special attack and speed stat.

Of course, the star of this team, Mega Alakazam.
Alakazam (M) @ Alakazite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Future Sight

This wizard outspeeds the entire OU tier while harboring a massive 175 special attack. Psyshock is run to hit everything hard, especially Chansey, and Focus Blast and Shadow Ball are run for coverage. Future Sight is the special move and with a base power of 120, it can 1HKO most things that don't resist it. The best time to use it is when Alakazam and the opponent both have low hp while you know you will probably die from status moves, priority, or weather. After using it, you can bring in Lucario or Dragonite to revenge kill with Extremespeed, or Bisharp to trap and pursuit kill them. Overall very important member of the team and a powerful psychic.

Revenge Killers, Bisharp and Dragonite.

Revenge Killer #1
Dragonite (M) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Fire Punch
- Outrage
- Dragon Dance
This guy was put on the team to beat Talonflame with Extremespeed, and also beat Scizor (Bullet Punch) with Fire Punch. Priority is the biggest threat to Alakazam, so Dragonite out prioritizes to help it. Lum Berry is a great choice because it helps get rid of burns, and it also snaps Dragonite out of confusion from Outrage. Dragon Dance is pretty self explanatory, and Fire Punch is to get rid of steel types, especially Scizor. Dragonite can revenge kill for Alakazam, and with Future SIght, it can set up and potentially kill the opponent in the same turn without having to attack.

Revenge Killer #2
Bisharp (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Iron Head
- Knock Off
Bisharp and Dragonite make a great duo, as they cover each other typing wise. Bisharp is able to pursuit trap threats including Latios and Latias, low HP pokemon, and some scarf pokemon. Choice scarf is used to outspeed most things without having to rely on sucker punch. This makes Pursuit trapping a whole lot easier. Knock Off and Sucker Punch are standard dark stab and Iron Head gets rid of Fairies for Dragonite.

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin
- Hydro Pump
Having Dragonite meant having a hazard remover, so Starmie is here to help with that, and punch some holes in the enemy team. Hydro pump is for sheer power and Ice Beam gets rid of Serperior, Thundurus, Lando, Garchomp, lots of things. Thunderbolt is run to get rid of Keldeo, and other water types like Azumarill (water priority threat taken care of) and Manaphy. Since Mega Alakazam already has psyshock, Thunderbolt can be utilized instead and also hits opposing Starmie.

Heatran (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 248 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
- Earth Power
- Lava Plume
- Substitute
- Toxic
Heatran is able to act as a special wall and a burn absorber, something Bisharp would very much like. Lava Plume is standard, and Earth power is for opposing Heatran. Toxic is for Talonflame and other set up sweepers. Substitute is used over protect because instead of relying on mind games with protect, you can hide behind a sub, ensure you get a toxic on the opponent (unless steel/poison type or you miss) or you could hit the oppoenent with Lava Plume/Earth Power. Its very handy, especially against Ferrothorn as they have no choice but to switch out or die.

Garchomp (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Stealth Rock
Tankchomp is pretty common and he's here just in case a physical threat can't be stopped by Dragonite or Bisharp. Tankchomp give 29% damage when it gets hit with a physical move and that's a lot and very handy. He's also the stealth rock user, and Earthquake is standard stab. Dragon Tail is used to force switch outs and force them to take stealth rock damage. Fire Blast is run to hit steel types, especially Scizor, Ferrothorn, and Skarmory. A fully defensive EV set is run to make sure Talonflame takes as much damage as possible ;)

Last edited:

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
Hey, you should probably make the descriptions a bit longer so it avoids being locked. Just talk about the moves and why you run the EV's you do.

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
What on this team stops BD Azumarril?

Also, Future -> Sub is an idea to prevent Bisharp Mind Games
Doesn't Tank Chomp do a decent job? It can hit Azu with EQ, survive an Aqua Jet, and basically leads to a double knock out.

0 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 92 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 162-192 (44.5 - 52.7%) -- 23% chance to 2HKO

Let's say Azu gets a BD off and its at 75%. If they want to kill Garchomp they have to go for Play Rough, and Garchomp outspeeds them. So Garchomp uses EQ (Azu has roughly 29% or less) and then when Azu kills Garchomp, Rocky Helmet + Rough skin kills it (it always gives 29%).

Let's use a scenario.

Your opponent has Volcorona + Azu or Talon-Azu.

Naturally, you want rocks up because it can be annoying to take them out otherwise. Here's the catch-- if your Garchomp takes nearly any prior damage, it becomes completely ineffective against BD azu.

If you decide to sit on it so it doesnt take damage, then you do not get rocks on the field, meaning talonflame will either A). give you issues, B). force you to lose health on chomp.

Basically, your opponent should recognize his azu destroys you after Garchomp is weakened/down. He will likely force you into your Garchomp eventually, wear it down, then azu has a clean ticket to win.

+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 252 HP / 168+ Def Garchomp: 255-301 (60.7 - 71.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Change Earth Power -> Ancientpower/HP Rock (better for BulkUpFlame)

This would mean that you no longer rely on Garchomp to beat talonflame, allowing you to try to save Garchomp for later game.

I would go from Scarf Bisharp to CB Azumarill. Nothing on your team currently has a chance to break through Mega Sableye, and that's important in the current meta even with the decline of Mega Sableye stall. Even when burned, CB Azu can 2HKO it with Play Rough. In addition Azu can come in on many of the bulkier things that give Dragonite trouble, like Clefable and Heatran. Bisharp in general isn't a great Choice item user in general, as Sucker Punch requires the ability to switch moves to be successful. Think about it, if you are locked into Sucker Punch anything can switch in for free and set up or start dealing damage. I would also go for a bulkier look on Starmie, as that gives you a consistent check to Keldeo while complimenting your existing defensive core better.

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

Hi, I'll just say name one pokemon Mega Sableye. It walls and counters everything in your team it can either set up CMs on ur team preventing kazam from doing much or WoW and foul play on your dragonite. Worst of all people use it with fairy tyes like Azumarill, together those two alone can be enough to stop your team. Add a contrary serperior to the equation and you got yourself a problem.Also having two dragon types on your team is not the best idea after the introduction of fairy types, it was great in BW OU but not in gen 6. I had the same two dragons in my team and it wasn't easy to deal with fairies.

Putting Dazzling gleam on your Alakazam will be helpful against the Sableye problem, you might reply to me and say that Serperior is easily taken care of by Heatran, while that might be mostly true if its carrying a hp ground(which is not as rare as you might think) than its toast.
Anyway goodluck may you win big :)

TPP

Head TD
Hi, I'll just say name one pokemon Mega Sableye. It walls and counters everything in your team it can either set up CMs on ur team preventing kazam from doing much or WoW and foul play on your dragonite. Worst of all people use it with fairy tyes like Azumarill, together those two alone can be enough to stop your team. Add a contrary serperior to the equation and you got yourself a problem.Also having two dragon types on your team is not the best idea after the introduction of fairy types, it was great in BW OU but not in gen 6. I had the same two dragons in my team and it wasn't easy to deal with fairies.

Putting Dazzling gleam on your Alakazam will be helpful against the Sableye problem, you might reply to me and say that Serperior is easily taken care of by Heatran, while that might be mostly true if its carrying a hp ground(which is not as rare as you might think) than its toast.
Anyway goodluck may you win big :)
He has 2 steel types, one with a .25 resistance against fairy types so Fairies will not be a problem. I agree that Dazzling gleam would be useful against Mega Sableye, but Dragonite can still beat Mega Sableye. Foul play can 2HKO it, but Outrage can also 2HKO Sableye. If Sableye is running foul play, that means it doesn't have Calm Mind, and it can be revenge killed if it beats Dragonite. If it is running Calm mind, then Dragonite can beat it. If you're going to mention other threats, then you should also mention solutions to those threats. Also, Mega Sableye is a huge threat no doubt, but the fact that its mostly run on stall teams means there is a small to no chance that it will be run with Azumarill and/or Serperior.

I think next time you might want to suggest something that can improve his matchup against Azumarill, otherwise the team owner is only more aware about a threat that he or she still might not know how to deal with.
Consider reading the whole thread first... I went on to suggest a couple changes, but to stop BD Azu, I didnt want to change his team too much, plus I am somewhat inexperienced with Zam teams. I figured awareness > nothing.

Like many former posters have pointed out, I believe it would be wise to swap future sight for dazzling gleam on Alakazam Mega.

Will-o-wisp destroys dragonite. Dragonite is not a 100 percent reliable counter.
Also note Recover. If dragonite spams outrage, Sableye can spam recover until dragonite confuses itself

Last edited:

TPP

Head TD
I just realized Starmie can also take care of Azumarill with Thunderbolt XD

So I guess if Garchomp does lose, then Dragonite or Starmie can come in and kill it.

+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Starmie: 182-214 (69.7 - 81.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Also Dazzling Gleam isn't needed since he has SPD Heatran: he can even WoW for a Flash fire burn and then fish for burns with boosted Lava Plumes. And even if Heatran is taken out Azumarill can revenge it.
Personally, I think using a turn to switch Into heatran is risky, and since alakazam is a sort of win condition, simply running through sableye is simpler than switching. Also, since Alakazam loses magic guard, switching in on hazards can rack up quickly for both heatran and alakazam.

You are right in this regard. The problem is that Alakazam is not going to be getting free switches either, and can't stop a boosted Sableye. As long as Sableye is at +1:

252 SpA Mega Alakazam Dazzling Gleam vs. +1 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Sableye: 130-154 (42.7 - 50.6%) -- 2.3% chance to 2HKO

+1 4 SpA Mega Sableye Shadow Ball vs. 32 HP / 0 SpD Mega Alakazam: 236-282 (91.1 - 108.8%) -- 50% chance to OHKO (Dark Pulse does same damage)

Heatran on the other hand can take a +6 Shadow Ball:

+6 0 SpA Mega Sableye Shadow Ball vs. 248 HP / 192+ SpD Heatran: 219-258 (56.8 - 67%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

and fish for burns (Sableye usually only gets to +2 or +3).

Just some food for thought. Also if he makes the switch to CB Azumarill:

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Sableye: 332-392 (109.2 - 128.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Assuming no burn for azumarill I see, but I get your point. I mainly meant that since Alakazam is one of his more important pokes, being able to OhKo switch in Sableye before mega on an expected psychic attack is great.

I took all of your ideas, and I decided what to use for the team, I'm going to be testing it on 4/25/15 around 10:00 EST.

Last edited:

DennisEG

Civil Engineer
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
hey man just wanna give u a couple set suggestions, the team looks pretty solid on paper although u dont so many switch ins for Torn-t and u look very weak to SD talon cuz garchomp is easily wear down for other physical type attacker so first i suggest change Taunt/Encore/Substitute> Future Sigh on Zam, yes is a surprise move and force switch ins but i think rarely works. Next thing is put Low kick > Sucker Punch on Scarf Bisharp just for second check for oppsing bisharps, also Earthquake > Fire Punch on Dnite seem like u hate ferrothorn a lot but 4/6 mon on ur team have super effective moves against ferro now and last Stone Edge > Substitute and Taunt > Earth Power on heatran just to deal better with cm clefable and talonflames.
Hope i help u and gl

Like many former posters have pointed out, I believe it would be wise to swap future sight for dazzling gleam on Alakazam Mega.

Will-o-wisp destroys dragonite. Dragonite is not a 100 percent reliable counter.
Also note Recover. If dragonite spams outrage, Sableye can spam recover until dragonite confuses itself
This team struggles against stall quite a bit so I'd actually replace future sight with Encore

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)