Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v2 [Update on Post #5186]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting banned faster than flutter Mane is Crazy.

Pretty deserved though. One thing I found interesting when playing is that Regieleki didn't even need to Tera just to exert pressure. The threat of Tera Blast ice alone made Grounds think twice about switching into it. Even if you burn your tera on something else, Regieleki is still not deadweight because the Grounds will be worn down to the point where they are in KO range of UnSTABed Tera Blast lol.

thank god, I was struggling
Getting banned faster than flutter Mane is Crazy.

Pretty deserved though. One thing I found interesting when playing is that Regieleki didn't even need to Tera just to exert pressure. The threat of Tera Blast ice alone made Grounds think twice about switching into it. Even if you burn your tera on something else, Regieleki is still not deadweight because the Grounds will be worn down to the point where they are in KO range of UnSTABed Tera Blast lol.
Is this the fastest a Pokémon has ever been banned from OU? I think it’s close

Yeah it's clear Regieleki was the biggest threat of the HOME Big 3 right now - it's just a matter of time until Magearna and either one of (or both) the Zamazentas get banned.

Just curious as well, if you think Hero is better than Crowned - what's the reason? Do you think the ability to hold an item is that crucial? Because Crowned's stats and typing to me are clearly better

I just wanna make a post to call Finch incompetent tbh.

On a real note tho, I think just like pretty much everyone has said, gear is a huge issue rn. This mon has been a problem forever and the addition of tera into its option set is just insane. I think I've only come across tera water and tera fairy so far, but accounting for its typing alongside its actual set might just be too much brain gymnastics for one mon.

Elecki on the other hand is undoubtedly A very strong mon but I don't think I've come away from any game thinking that this is ruining the game for me. its strong but it has answers, its incredibly frail and revenging it is fairly manageable. its most sinister set IMO is actually the screens set, bc it functionally is very similar to grimsnarl being able to get them up fast, and pivot out with volt. the only difference being that it can actually create some offensive pressure where as grim just sits there at the end of the bench mid/late game.

I might be in the minority but I think elecki can stay, at least for the time being. Gear and luna are more pressing issues imo
Let’s kind and respectful k thanks

stop hating on the council, you aren’t in charge

I think people are forgetting that Lando-T was good long before it started running the defensive toxic/knock/defog stuff it did in gen 8. Lando in the past has done speed control scarf sets, suicide lead sets, banded, sub SD, double dance with SD and rock polish. Hell there are even dank mixed sets that can be explored now that it gets both calm mind and nasty plot. The fact that Tusk gets more utility moves than current Lando doesn't mean anything for Lando's viability imo. It'll literally just do other things instead of trying to compete with Tusk.

Don't blame the council for giving it a shot but holy shit thanks

I think people are forgetting that Lando-T was good long before it started running the defensive toxic/knock/defog stuff it did in gen 8. Lando in the past has done speed control scarf sets, suicide lead sets, banded, sub SD, double dance with SD and rock polish. Hell there are even dank mixed sets that can be explored now that it gets both calm mind and nasty plot. The fact that Tusk gets more utility moves than current Lando doesn't mean anything for Lando's viability imo. It'll literally just do other things instead of trying to compete with Tusk.

Don't blame the council for giving it a shot but holy shit thanks
Double Dance sets are dead, lando lost rock polish.

thank god, I was struggling

Is this the fastest a Pokémon has ever been banned from OU? I think it’s close
Yep!

I just don't feel like it's broken on the level of other current big threats. Others earlier in the thread have gone over it pretty extensively, but just by looking at a lot of the matchups+typing+bulk it seems to be really good, but nowhere near bannable right now.

I want to dedicate this post to encourage OU Council's tiering actions to be that quick.

It seems clear to everyone there's been some problems with Magearna & Zamazenta or other Chien Pao being unleashed in the SV OU metagame and I hope Quick Tiering actions will continue to be taken for players and for upcoming tournaments to play in a pleasant metagame.

I'm gonna guess the most prominent ones on the radar are:
Zamazenta-Crowned
Ursaluna
Chien Pao

These 3 are 100% next on the chopping block for very obvious reasons.
Pao's CB set is still way too busted in a terastal metagame
Zamazenta-Crowned is way too much of a fat wincon that just has way too many resists and can just body press everything to oblivion, and iron defense sets on this thing's sheer bulk and good attack stat is too much.
Ursaluna is just melm on crack, especially in a tera metagame, needs to 100% go.

Less Prominent Mons that will likely get suspected rather than direct action I would say probably:
Urshifu-RS
(probably broken but not that broken.)
Zamazenta-Hero
(Could be op later but honestly could end up staying without issue)
Sneasler
(Dire Claw)

That's what I would guess from most of the sentiment I am hearing

Sneaseler, Urshifu, and Zamazenta are gonna be hard to deal with.

If only OU had a Ghost Dragon Type with titanic bulk to check them *wink* *wink* *nudge* *nudge*
Crowned is way too good for OU, body press + iron defense literally cannot beat it.
Hero is just a solid mon honestly, feels broken on paper but in practice its not honestly.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
I think what a lot of people fail to realize is that something having such an abbreviated stint in OU can be used as leverage for future placement.

Let’s use Marshadow as an example. It was one of the quickest bans ever in OU history, and it has never touched OU since then. Obviously there’s some shaky grounds here as one OU environment differs vastly from the next, but hopefully Regieleki won’t have to come back with every DLC or next generation of Terastallization is still present.

Personally — and this is just me more than the whole council, I’d love to move away from the formality time with things like Landorus-I and Genesect, who end up Uber every generation. I thought we took a good step with that this time around by keeping Landorus-I banned alongside things blatant like Spectrier, so hopefully we continue to find the best solutions and this Regieleki stint can prove useful both now and in the future.

TCTphantom

formerly MX42
TBH the only mon I think needs a quickban left is Magearna. I think it’s inherently over centralizing and is just way too strong. It’s an amazing pivot, wall breaker, sweeper, and is fat enough to just blanket check stuff. It also enables most of the other potentially problematic mons. Be it a slow volt switch, trick, trick room, or just nuking something it makes most of the other new drops scarier. Mag is not only good, it makes the rest of its team that much better.

I think that after Mag is gone, the council should wait on any other quickbans for ~1 week. Mag being out of the meta changes a lot and I think given how strong a partner it is for every potential problem mon, it could be worth letting the chips fall where they do. Maybe fat teams get to hold their own better without worrying about Mag. Maybe HO can afford to pressure Zamazenta C more. Maybe Sneasler falls out of favor with teams better able to handle it. Nothing is certain, but I do feel most of the mons potentially on the radar would be easier to handle with Magearna gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)