Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v2 [Update on Post #5186]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like Im crazy when I see Zamazenta listed among the most problematic stuff at the time being. It has some nice coverage moves but it doesnt cover everything, should rarely sweep/has no real utility to pair with it and you can check both with generic tier staples it feels like. What am I missing here. I like the mon(s) but they are clearly far away from the S tier for me.

Very thankful Regieleki is gone - it does confirm that the "we will release broken stuff in OU but it will still be able to be quickbanned in a short amount of time" is true.
Now to wait for Chien-Pao and it's defense halving ability that shouldn't exist in a 405 speed/372 Atk Dark/Ice Pokémon to be gone.

I just wanna make a post to call Finch incompetent tbh.
+1, 6 months of non-metagame, refusing to even suspect garg, not re-test tera and now a quickban over banning magearna and the 2 zama just because they dediced to let them OU

banning tera instantly nerfs everything, without it elecki lose the ice coverage and is instantly walled by every ground mon/new goodra form

Idg why you are all ganging on finch when most of those policies taken are actually done by a collective entity. Check out other council members since they actually gave a reason why their vote was as is, and honestly i do agree. It's non consequential to release some of these mons and have them banned on the next day, you don't lose that much

They've already tackled as to why they couldn't ban Tera yet so there is no point in debating that for now really, but all is to say, that they're acting based on the collective opinion. Don't shoot on the messenger.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
I think what a lot of people fail to realize is that something having such an abbreviated stint in OU can be used as leverage for future placement.

Let’s use Marshadow as an example. It was one of the quickest bans ever in OU history, and it has never touched OU since then. Obviously there’s some shaky grounds here as one OU environment differs vastly from the next, but hopefully Regieleki won’t have to come back with every DLC or next generation of Terastallization is still present.

Personally — and this is just me more than the whole council, I’d love to move away from the formality time with things like Landorus-I and Genesect, who end up Uber every generation. I thought we took a good step with that this time around by keeping Landorus-I banned alongside things blatant like Spectrier, so hopefully we continue to find the best solutions and this Regieleki stint can prove useful both now and in the future.
I'm gonna be real here; I would honestly like to revisit some of the Ubers even despite their bad track records in OU. This is because this is the first generation that has truly made moves 'legacy' such that a Pokemon won't have access to ALL of their tools at once, and I am certain there are Ubers mons that are more heavily impacted by the loss of some of these moves than others. Heck, Landorus-I and Genesect are such prime examples; Landorus-I gained Nasty Plot sure but losing Rock Polish is almost assuredly impacting it in some way as well. Genesect meanwhile lost its crucial gen 5 event moves in Extreme Speed and Shift Gear and even Rock Polish became legacy, suddenly leaving it with no way to speed control the opponent in an unprecedented manner.

I do appreciate the council's testing policy atm, but I do wish that future tests for mons also take Gen 9's new precedent of "legacy moves" into account.

+1, 6 months of non-metagame, refusing to even suspect garg, not re-test tera and now a quickban over banning magearna and the 2 zama just because they dediced to let them OU

banning tera instantly nerfs everything, without it elecki lose the ice coverage and is instantly walled by every ground mon/new goodra form
Garganacl didn’t get suspected because no one who actually performs in tournaments really wanted it. The Pokémon was not broken.

And how is it Finch’s specific fault that the metagame sucks? We’re the ones playing the format game freak does not design most of their content around, we have to accept that sometimes things will be bad for a bit.

Ch
Yes, as I said in the ban post for Regieleki, we have assessed numerous other Pokemon as problematic and will be acting on them within the next couple of days. This is very much one of them. I expect it to be voted on soon.
Cheers.
The problem with magearna is you look for a mon to hard counter it and there's like two. Clod gets slammed by stored power if mag has enough boosts, so you are resorted to skeledirge or quag.

I feel like Im crazy when I see Zamazenta listed among the most problematic stuff at the time being. It has some nice coverage moves but it doesnt cover everything, should rarely sweep/has no real utility to pair with it and you can check both with generic tier staples it feels like. What am I missing here. I like the mon(s) but they are clearly far away from the S tier for me.
Because you're trying to see it as a "breaker" when it's not. It's not supposed to break walls. It's an extremely centralising threat that can be played in a lot of versatile ways and can be a deadly wincon with body press + ID. Basically its OP speed control.

It's that kinda offensive presence with insane bulk and speed. Such a fat speed control mon almost invalidates most offensive mons and offensive counterplay. Even stuff like booster valiant's Moonblast is far from an OHKO. Add tera threat upon that.

Plus, the ID Bpress set steam rolls offensive and defensive mons alike. And with ID as your boosting move, you can spam it to set up since the defense boosts let you set up even more. It's like SD on roids.

You're forced to run a select few defensive checks to not get rolled over like skeledirge, defensive zapdos, and toxapex, which goes to show how broken both the dogs are. In theory, I could run SpDef Clodsire or AV Treads and laugh at Regieleki all day, but as the recent ban suggested, didn't make Eleki any less crazy broken.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Honestly, I will always be mad about Garganacl never having even a suspect test, but other than that, everyone is doing a great job, you're a good worker finch, we all believe in you
I voted ban on Garganacl months before you guys clamored for a suspect…And then the only reason why it never got a suspect was because the community failed to support it sufficiently in the surveys — you guys had ample opportunity, but it never was supported sufficiently.

I fail to see how this reflects negatively on my competence.

I'm gonna be real here; I would honestly like to revisit some of the Ubers even despite their bad track records in OU. This is because this is the first generation that has truly made moves 'legacy' such that a Pokemon won't have access to ALL of their tools at once, and I am certain there are Ubers mons that are more heavily impacted by the loss of some of these moves than others. Heck, Landorus-I and Genesect are such prime examples; Landorus-I gained Nasty Plot sure but losing Rock Polish is almost assuredly impacting it in some way as well. Genesect meanwhile lost its crucial gen 5 event moves in Extreme Speed and Shift Gear and even Rock Polish became legacy, suddenly leaving it with no way to speed control the opponent in an unprecedented manner.

I do appreciate the council's testing policy atm, but I do wish that future tests for mons also take Gen 9's new precedent of "legacy moves" into account.
Seconding this. Both the examples losing any sort of speed boosting/priority really changes the game. And since it would be suspect, we can just vote if they still remain broken.

I voted ban on Garganacl months before you guys clamored for a suspect…And then the only reason why it never got a suspect was because the community failed to support it sufficiently in the surveys — you guys had ample opportunity, but it never was supported sufficiently.

I fail to see how this reflects negatively on my competence.
I doubt he meant it as a criticism of your work, probably just poor wording on his part, it reads more like a simple misunderstanding of the process of getting a mon suspected

I'm gonna guess the most prominent ones on the radar are:
Zamazenta-Crowned
Ursaluna
Chien Pao

These 3 are 100% next on the chopping block for very obvious reasons.
Pao's CB set is still way too busted in a terastal metagame
Zamazenta-Crowned is way too much of a fat wincon that just has way too many resists and can just body press everything to oblivion, and iron defense sets on this thing's sheer bulk and good attack stat is too much.
Ursaluna is just melm on crack, especially in a tera metagame, needs to 100% go.

Less Prominent Mons that will likely get suspected rather than direct action I would say probably:
Urshifu-RS
(probably broken but not that broken.)
Zamazenta-Hero
(Could be op later but honestly could end up staying without issue)
Sneasler
(Dire Claw)

That's what I would guess from most of the sentiment I am hearing
ursaluna isnt bannable. its just calyrex ice but for ou

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)