Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v2 [Update on Post #5186]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since it seems i'm not the only person suffering from ZamaH-ZamaC, here's a set that not only checks the Zamas, but also other Physical threats (Urshifu, Tusk, Treads, Lando, Ursaluna etc...)

Basculegion-F @ Leftovers
Ability: Adaptability
Tera Type: Steel / Fairy / Idk
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Hydro Pump
- Protect
- Icy Wind / Chilling Water

For the Zamas and Urshifu, it straight up nullifies all of their offensive, it resists both water and steel and is immune to fighting. It also tanks 2-3 crunch from ZamaC

4 Atk Zamazenta-Crowned Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Basculegion-F: 128-152 (28.8 - 34.2%) -- 99.4% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

4 Atk Zamazenta-Crowned Behemoth Bash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Basculegion-F: 59-70 (13.2 - 15.7%) -- possibly the worst move ever

While Bandeed ZamaH kills it with 2 Crunch, you can scout with protect and switch to something else.

The only it should be afraid of is Chien-Pao, but I really hope that pokemon gets banned soon

Since it seems i'm not the only person suffering from ZamaH-ZamaC, here's a set that not only checks the Zamas, but also other Physical threats (Urshifu, Tusk, Treads, Lando, Ursaluna etc...)

Basculegion-F @ Leftovers
Ability: Adaptability
Tera Type: Steel / Fairy / Idk
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Hydro Pump
- Protect
- Icy Wind / Chilling Water

For the Zamas and Urshifu, it straight up nullifies all of their offensive, it resists both water and steel and is immune to fighting. It also tanks 2-3 crunch from ZamaC

4 Atk Zamazenta-Crowned Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Basculegion-F: 128-152 (28.8 - 34.2%) -- 99.4% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

4 Atk Zamazenta-Crowned Behemoth Bash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Basculegion-F: 59-70 (13.2 - 15.7%) -- possibly the worst move ever

While Bandeed ZamaH kills it with 2 Crunch, you can scout with protect and switch to something else.

The only it should be afraid of is Chien-Pao, but I really hope that pokemon gets banned soon
Basculin F. youve been cooking

I don't think there is much ground in comparing Ursaluna with Calyrex-Ice? Calyrex-Ice's main problem is that it wasn't Calyrex-Shadow, you had to use one or the other. So i don't think the sample is nearly as comparable.

elaborate
In ubers (or in general), Ice Psychic is a worser defensive type and also in Ubers the Pokémon are generally more bulky as looking at Ursaluna's base 140 dangerous attack we can tell from 165 from ice rider that 140 is much more dangerous because on average an ubers mon will be able to take less damage from ice rider's hits, I don't know how its doing now but im saying from gen 8 it can still be handled and relies more on teammates (not alot since its still crazy strong don't get me wrong) but Ursaluna still carves holes in teams much more consistently in its respective tier.

Also Ursaluna just straight up has more coverage.

as did calyrex ice in ubers
Major point of contention on that comparison in that Ursaluna doesn't bar you from being able to run a different Pokemon that literally controls the Metagame in which the two are competing as Cal-Ice did with Cal-Shadow. Also major difference in abilities (Ursaluna gets unmatched Immediate power from Guts vs snowballing with Moxie as a slow bulky attacker), STAB options, defensive typing (SR Resist vs Weakness along is a major difference), and Metagame threats.

While I don't believe it the case, I could probably be convinced Ice-Calyrex is a safer presence in OU than Ursaluna (this is not advocating to ban one or try to drop the other)

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Major point of contention on that comparison in that Ursaluna doesn't bar you from being able to run a different Pokemon that literally controls the Metagame in which the two are competing as Cal-Ice did with Cal-Shadow. Also major difference in abilities (Ursaluna gets unmatched Immediate power from Guts vs snowballing with Moxie as a slow bulky attacker), STAB options, defensive typing (SR Resist vs Weakness along is a major difference), and Metagame threats.

While I don't believe it the case, I could probably be convinced Ice-Calyrex is a safer presence in OU than Ursaluna (this is not advocating to ban one or try to drop the other)
The thing about Calyrex-Ice is that it's not reliant on Trick Room; it has just enough Speed to opt for Agility to hit 436 Speed, outrunning Pult (421). This flexibility is what makes CalyIce a more consistent presence in any meta compared to Ursaluna.

I won’t harp much on gear because I think it’s pretty clear at this point how comically easy it is for shift gear to just win immediately if you don’t guess the set correctly/have a roar mon (bonus points if you run weakness policy screens)

Both Zamas feel like they massively pop off and blow apart the whole team or thud into their checks and do literally nothing all game, will see what they look like once some of they silly stuff is gone and more experimenting is done

Pao is TBD, it’s not at all on level of gear (who also just craps on it) and zamas kind of add new checks to it but once the meta settles it will become a problem again.

ursaluna has insane power but I also feel that it benefits right now from trick room having its best setter running around in mag and once it goes the play style might step back. Still a pain to revenge and will completely annihilate fatter teams with its stabs alone

1LDK

Vengeance
is a Top Team Rater
I voted ban on Garganacl months before you guys clamored for a suspect…And then the only reason why it never got a suspect was because the community failed to support it sufficiently in the surveys — you guys had ample opportunity, but it never was supported sufficiently.

I fail to see how this reflects negatively on my competence.
I doubt he meant it as a criticism of your work, probably just poor wording on his part, it reads more like a simple misunderstanding of the process of getting a mon suspected
Yeah, it was a misunderstanding from my poor wording, apollogys

ausma

token smogon furry
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Forum Leader
As a general thing, please remember to exercise courtesy for the council and the moderation team. This is a thankless volunteer job and in such a tumultuous metagame state, there is going to be a lot of variance in first impressions and opinions of what’s broken, what isn’t, and to what extent. We always welcome ideas, suggestions, and feedback, but blatant insulting is unacceptable and I will be infracting on that basis going forward. Thank you, and let’s keep exploring and having a good time.

Cdijk16

Cdijk21 on PS!
is a Pre-Contributor
What are all your thoughts on TR in OU at the moment? I've been having a lot of success with this TR team from the Team Baazar by Coral Fan: Snowy Trick Room (pokepast.es)
Here's my thoughts on it. The meta is very new, so I don't have as much to say about it as I'd like.
1. It has access to a lot of great OU mons like Magearna and Ursuluna. OTR Magearna helps pressures opposing offenses and can clean late game, while Ursuluna is a great vs defensive stuff.
2. It's hard to stop it from setting up as it has access to the very bulky Cresselia and Sash Hatterene.
3. Galar Slowking is a pretty good SpDef wall and has access to Chilly Reception to bring in pokemon slowly in conjunction with Lagging Tail.
4. Glastrier pairs well with Hatterene and is great wallbreaker with SD in TR. It also has fantastic synergy with Glowking(snow boosts its defense).
5. Healing Wish Hatt and Lunar Dance Cress also pair exceptionally with Glastrier.
6. I think Kingambit is a pretty good TR abuser too, thought not featured in the above team.
What are your thoughts on how to optimize Trick Room? Which of these pokemon do you think should swapped out and why? What are some of your favorite TR abusers for it?

Last edited:
In ubers (or in general), Ice Psychic is a worser defensive type and also in Ubers the Pokémon are generally more bulky as looking at Ursaluna's base 140 dangerous attack we can tell from 165 from ice rider that 140 is much more dangerous because on average an ubers mon will be able to take less damage from ice rider's hits, I don't know how its doing now but im saying from gen 8 it can still be handled and relies more on teammates (not alot since its still crazy strong don't get me wrong) but Ursaluna still carves holes in teams much more consistently in its respective tier.

Also Ursaluna just straight up has more coverage.
calyrex has ice ground coverage. that is supereffective against over half of all pokemon, while the pokemon that resist that are as follows
araquanid
golisapod
frosmoth
thats it

I won’t harp much on gear because I think it’s pretty clear at this point how comically easy it is for shift gear to just win immediately if you don’t guess the set correctly/have a roar mon (bonus points if you run weakness policy screens)
Well, although I haven't played many games yet, I do use a Scream Tail balance, and I find it pretty easy to stop Shift Gear Magearna so far since I encore whatever attacking move it uses on me or encore it into a setup move. There is counterplay if you know where to look. I think Regieleki was cleary more broken, and as far as defensive counterplay goes, Magearna definitely has more than Ursaluna. I do admit Magearna has more sweeping potential due to the nature of Ursaluna's linear play patterns, but Ursaluna is one of the most immediately threatening Pokemon to ever be in OU due to the raw power and enormous bulk.

What are all your thoughts on TR in OU at the moment? I've been having a lot of success with this TR team from the Team Baazar by Coral Fan: Snowy Trick Room (pokepast.es)
Here's my thoughts on it. The meta is very new, so I don't have as much to say about it as I'd like.
1. It has access to a lot of great OU mons like Magearna and Ursuluna. OTR Magearna helps pressures opposing offenses and can clean late game, while Ursuluna is a great vs defensive stuff.
2. It's hard to stop it from setting up as it has access to the very bulky Cresselia and Sash Hatterene.
3. Galar Slowking is a pretty good SpDef wall and has access to Chilly Reception to bring in pokemon slowly in conjunction with Lagging Tail.
4. Glastrier pairs well with Hatterene and is great wallbreaker with SD in TR. It also has fantastic synergy with Glowking(snow boosts its defense).
5. Healing Wish Hatt and Lunar Dance Cress also pair exceptionally with Glastrier.
What are your thoughts on how to optimize Trick Room? Which of these pokemon do you think should swapped out and why? What are some of your favorite TR abusers for it?
the meta is more offensive which means trick room is better plusit has a great new attacker and it’s best setter andstill useful abuser in gear, it will fall off a bit once mag goes and who knows what will happen with Luna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)