Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v4 [Volcarona Banned]

I don't really post or read the OU forum much, just play on my own time so I apologize if this is a dumb question.

I saw that a score of 3.7/5 was used to determine if sleep would be a quick ban decision or suspect test, if I understood that right. Is there a hard/set-in-stone logic to when something is deemed problematic enough to quick ban v. suspect test? I feel like I've seen cases this generation where higher scores haven't resulted in this happening, so I find myself confused and curious about the process. please don't dunk on me for asking

Last edited:
I’ve noticed the running theme this generation is anything that can reliably generate free turns is going to end up broken. Defenses are spread way too thing and offenses set up way too fast.

With that in mind, it was only a matter of time before people started gambling with sleep paralyzation or confusion to get said Free turns.

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
finch you can't do this to me man
now breloom has even less of a niche in OU
literally 1984
Just saying Breloom never really needed Spore in Gen 9. The Choice Band sets don't run Spore and some of the Loaded Dice set don't always run Spore sometimes they run different 3rd moves after Mach Punch and Bullet Seed like Rock Tomb, Aerial Ace, and Close Combat.

I don't really post or read here much, just play on my own time so I apologize if this is a dumb question.

I saw that a score of 3.7/5 was used to determine if sleep would be a quick ban decision or suspect test, if I understood that right. Is there a hard/set-in-stone logic to when something is deemed problematic enough to quick ban v. suspect test? I feel like I've seen cases this generation where higher scores haven't resulted in this happening, so I find myself confused and curious about the process. please don't dunk on me for asking
If it helps, think of it as the council saying that they're going to do something, and then asking players to either agree with them (high vote), or tell them not to do it (low vote). Getting a high vote meant that the voterbase was happy with what was suggested.

One of the best decisions all gen.
I don't really post or read the OU forum much, just play on my own time so I apologize if this is a dumb question.

From my understanding, high score just means it's put to a vote among council, and that decides on the course of action. There has been things put up for vote that got a suspect instead. It depends on how they view the issue and whether they've developed their stances on whatever is put to vote.

I would like the people that are questioning the fact that Yawn is banned to realize that it's Yawn without sleep clause we're talking about. Something like Slowking-Galar or Skeledirge could spam Yawn with hazards up and it's not like other phazing moves where you can attack the Pokemon that is using the phazing move, if you attack in response to Yawn spam your Pokemon is catching a sleep. And without sleep clause, it could do that all game, which would almost certainly be unhealthy and exacerbate the hazard problem.
Sleep moves are an integral part of the pokemon experience, even if they're unbalanced. Really sucks that the mainstream games' online battle features are so trash because otherwise I'd go back to playing them now lol. I'm not in support of this sleep clause change at all, but I'm probably going to keep playing smogon for the time being.

Just saying Breloom never really needed Spore in Gen 9. The Choice Band sets don't run Spore and some of the Loaded Dice set don't always run Spore sometimes they run different 3rd moves after Mach Punch and Bullet Seed like Rock Tomb, Aerial Ace, and Close Combat.
stop ruining my joke
that may be true, but have you considered that Darkrai is going to fall off now, meaning one of breloom's best matchups is dead now.
I wasn't joking about hating sleep ban tho, amoonguss is dead for crimes darkrai and ival committed.

Well, Darkrai is back to being the...
Ting-Lu, Kingambit, Samurott-H, Weavile, Roaring Moon, Meowscarada

Arguably the 7th best dark type in OU
As much as we like to tease Darkrai for getting unbanned after much contention only to not even be top 5 of its own type, it’s kind of crazy how insane Dark-type is this gen, huh? 8 of em (currently) in OU and we STILL had 3 non cover-legend Dark types we had to ban.

As much as we like to tease Darkrai for getting unbanned after much contention only to not even be top 5 of its own type, it’s kind of crazy how insane Dark-type is this gen, huh? 8 of em (currently) in OU and we STILL had 3 non cover-legend Dark types we had to ban.
Tbf it is a lot like Gen 7 Fairies where the numbers are slightly inflated by the introduction of a powerful quartet.

Cool now we can ban para because

Because the council wanted to ban sleep and not the other things that were higher.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 3, Guests: 9)