Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v4 [Volcarona Banned]

Aside from *the* topic, I mostly agree with the survey results. I would have liked Gouging Fire to place a bit higher as I think that's one of the biggest issues OU faces rn. It does just feel like Dondozo is keeping it in the tier alone (maybe the rare and not super viable primarina). Lugia should not drop imo I really do not want to see any ubers/uubers right now lol aside from the few we already dropped. Also we might be moving towards UUBL time for Darkrai

Actually, regarding Barraskewda, this reminds me of one of my many incorrect predictions about gen 8 where I thought Barraskewda was for sure a shoe in for a ban. Like it was min maxed to be the best rain abuser ever and then it fell to like RU for a bit. Another one of those incorrect predictions of mine was that I thought Cursola was gonna be actually good because Perish Body seems insane

Whats that? roaring moon topped the survey results? Nope roaring moon isn’t getting rebanned on my watch, im not reliving this anytime soon
IMG_2478.jpeg

air balloon cobalion spreads thunder wave instead of sleep and checks more pokemon since its briefly immune to eq, shuca berry may stay afters switching to an attack but balloon nulls all ground moves and gives a spikes immunity, so balloon is better on most serious ou teams

Lily

is this what you wanted?
is a Tutoris a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnus
UU Leader
Hi, the OU metagame discussion thread is for discussing the OU metagame, not for trying to force the existence of trans people as a political issue. Let's drop that topic if we don't want to risk deletions & infractions and move back to talking about Pokemon, thank you :)

Whats that? roaring moon topped the survey results? Nope roaring moon isn’t getting rebanned on my watch, im not reliving this anytime soon
View attachment 595772
air balloon cobalion spreads thunder wave instead of sleep and checks more pokemon since its briefly immune to eq, shuca berry may stay afters switching to an attack but balloon nulls all ground moves and gives a spikes immunity, so balloon is better on most serious ou teams
can we pwetty pwease ban roaring moon? I'll give u $5 !

5 whole dollars!

I did the calcs earlier in PS chat:

252+ Atk Choice Band Weavile Triple Axel (40 BP) (3 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Multiscale Lugia: 305-365 (73.3 - 87.7%) -- approx. 2HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Protean Meowscarada Triple Axel (40 BP) (3 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Multiscale Lugia: 290-345 (69.7 - 82.9%) -- approx. 2HKO

Now, obviously if it calcs the way its stated this isn't 100% representative, but still scary nonetheless.
Damn it's actually a 2hko on 3 banded hits from weavile, that's pretty impressive. How much with an SD up from weavile?

Weavile with tera ice + SD might be a semi consistent answer.

Edit: It is a pretty consistent answer against max bulk Lugia

Someone check SD Meow calcs

Attachments

Last edited:
Damn it's actually a 2hko on 3 banded hits from weavile, that's pretty impressive. How much with an SD up from weavile?

Weavile with tera ice might be a semi consistent answer.

Edit: It is a pretty consistent answer against max bulk Lugia
+2 252 Atk Weavile Triple Axel (40 BP) (3 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Multiscale Lugia: 375-440 (90.1 - 105.7%) -- approx. 37.5% chance to OHKO
+2 252 Atk Tera Ice Weavile Triple Axel (40 BP) (3 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Multiscale Lugia: 500-590 (120.1 - 141.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Spore Amoonguss stocks are going down, but AV's are rising! (Also, please stop with Lugia/Sleep moves talks :c)

Amoonguss @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
Tera Type: Water / Ground
EVs: 252 HP / 152 Def / 104 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Leaf Storm / Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Stomping Tantrum
- Hex / Body Slam / Clear Smog

AV Amoonguss is a relic from SM meta, but now with Spore out of the equation, its value can go up due to its ability to pivot into threats and heal just switching out, somewhat keeping momentum.
EV spread achieves some benchmarks like making CB Barraskewda Liquidation in rain a 3HKO, Specs Dragapult Flamethrower is a 3HKO, and it can eat hits from the likes of AV Archaludon, Raging Bolt, Primarina and many others special attackers, but it is highly customizable to your needs. Leaf Storm is a powerfull STAB which allows it to almost OHKO max HP Great Tusk, as Giga Drain fails to do so. Sludge Bomb and Stomping Tantrum combo can force good damage onto Gholdengo, especially on offensive variants, and also on Heatran. Last slot can be Hex; if somehow you manage to status Gholdengo or Dragapult, it has a good chance to 2HKO defensive Ghold as well as 2HKO offensive variants of both. Body Slam can be used to cripple some switch-ins like steel birds with a paralysis, meanwhile, Clear Smog removes chances to become setup fodder for the likes of NP Darkrai. Tera Water allows it to keep that resistance, and turns Ice and Fire weaknesses into resistances. Tera Ground is a bit meme, but if you really hate Tera Fairy Raging Bolt, this is the set for you.

+2 252 Atk Weavile Triple Axel (40 BP) (3 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Multiscale Lugia: 375-440 (90.1 - 105.7%) -- approx. 37.5% chance to OHKO
+2 252 Atk Tera Ice Weavile Triple Axel (40 BP) (3 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Multiscale Lugia: 500-590 (120.1 - 141.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
That is still very impressive that Weavile can potentially drop Lugia outright with SD loaded dice even without tera

Interesting to see Lugia having answers down here

Alright, done with Lugia discussion, only brought it up because enough people apparently want it tested since enough people brought it up to get mentioned by the survey

While I don’t fully agree with the Sleep Ban in general, why didn’t they just ban Dire claw? It’s a dumb af RNG mov that has no right being in a competitive game. It would be different if they rejected a Dire Claw ban on its own, but to exclude it from the banned list is just plain stupid.

While I don’t fully agree with the Sleep Ban in general, why didn’t they just ban Dire claw? It’s a dumb af RNG mov that has no right being in a competitive game. It would be different if they rejected a Dire Claw ban on its own, but to exclude it from the banned list is just plain stupid.
It doesn’t matter too much since the only Mon who learns it is in Ubers.

Lugia seems kind of whack. Having it's STABs walled by just steel is quite bad bad with guys like Ghold, Gambit or even Electro spam Arch potentially coming in for free, needing to run boots, probably needing tera to get some coverage, 90 base offenses, underwhelming movepool, only 8pp on Aeroblast, no toxic, probably would be hazards set-up fodder for the likes of Ting-Lu or AV H-murott. The more I look at this mon the worse it gets, I have hard time seeing this mon thriving in a tier full with dark and steel types. Lugia could be extremely annoying to face on boot-spam stall teams though. I have never seen this mon in action, so don't take my post too seriously.

For one thing Sneasler is in ubers, and for another just don't get hax'd idiot lmao

That is still very impressive that Weavile can potentially drop Lugia outright with SD loaded dice even without tera

Interesting to see Lugia having answers down here

Alright, done with Lugia discussion, only brought it up because enough people apparently want it tested since enough people brought it up to get mentioned by the survey
"Few people" could be as low as two, although it was probably like a dozen but even then we shouldn't worry about it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 11, Guests: 31)