Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
it is hard to tell if you are trolling or not.

you can't just "break stall", even if you include 1 or 2 stall breakers on your team there is no way to make it so that they can beat EVERY defensive pokemon out there.
and if you fill your team with wall breakers then it is going to underperform against any non-stall team.

also I don't think that some of the breakers you mentioned who uses glaceon in OU? this thing is not even on viability list)
I think the fact that some extremely offbeat options were listed just goes to show how many options you have for beating stall if you're a skilled player. There are plenty of other options that are viable like np hydreigon, sub np rotom w after you deal with blissey, cb floatzel on rain, bu taunt quaquaval, etc.

Also, like eeveeto said, the number of pokemon that can beat stall with the right support is virtually endless

viivian

beep boop
is a Tiering Contributor

you can't just "break stall", even if you include 1 or 2 stall breakers on your team there is no way to make it so that they can beat EVERY defensive pokemon out there.
and if you fill your team with wall breakers then it is going to underperform against any non-stall team.
you can easily break stall with the right pokemon, the right coverage moves and the right team support. for instance, a well-played iron valiant alone has the power and coverage to break past every stall pokemon. blissey falls to aura sphere/focus blast from choice specs sets and close combat from mixed sets, clodsire gets obliterated by psyshock, skeledirge and gholdengo fear shadow ball, alomomola gets broken past by its STABs or thunderbolt, corviknight gets slammed by its fighting STABs and hates thunderbolt, and so on and so forth. chien-pao can accomplish the same by virtue of its raw strength allowing it to easily break past stall staples after minimal chip damage. garganacl's salt cure makes stall very hard to play effectively and purifying salt blocking status moves doesn't help either. and again, these are just a few pokemon that beat stall, and all by themselves at that. you can very well stack these pokemon (as well as many others) onto a team and anchor them with good team support to good results

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
We are not quickbanning any Pokemon during the suspect, especially if the Pokemon received less support than the suspected Pokemon to be looked at to begin with.
This is a fantastic take and thanking you for clearing up the air Finch. As probably the biggest advocate for a Garganacl ban, a quick ban during suspect testing is just plain absurdity.

I agree that Espathra requires no skill at all to use (Like Nacl, and Pao) but I think a quickban right now especially (over Nacl especially) is a reach.

also I don't think that some of the breakers you mentioned who uses glaceon in OU? this thing is not even on viability list)
Why should we take your word for it more than anyone? Your only replay is a poor example for multiple reasons and you haven't provided any evidence that stall is as bad as you think it is. Someone clicking SP on a Toxapex should've had you second guessing linking that replay.

The most ironic part is that you're commenting things like "you're trolling right?" trying to invalidate other's comments and then also crying that people are being rude to you. There's nothing more grating than when people write thoughtful responses to you in good faith and you take a shit on it like a tantrum.

1LDK

The Stand
is a Top Team Rater
Besides, if we ban Espatra, then we are not gonna have turkey for Thanksgiving Day! At least have some Mc and Cheese on the table idk I'm not even American what do you guys eat even? Freedom?

Honestly, Garga deserved the test more, but at least grass knot gren is a good offensive check to it, not to mention the cover cloak spam, i wonder how garga users will start adapting again, maybe even we start seeing whack shit like fire punch or av + tera poison, at the end of the day, salt cure is the name of the game

Besides, if we ban Espatra, then we are not gonna have turkey for Thanksgiving Day! At least have some Mc and Cheese on the table idk I'm not even American what do you guys eat even? Freedom?

Honestly, Garga deserved the test more, but at least grass knot gren is a good offensive check to it, not to mention the cover cloak spam, i wonder how garga users will start adapting again, maybe even we start seeing whack shit like fire punch or av + tera poison, at the end of the day, salt cure is the name of the game
Sub Skeledirge is also a pretty damn hard check to Garg. Unless they have Attack investment, Salt Cure will never break your Subs in a single hit without a crit. It's such an amazing feeling watching Dirge just continuously click Torch Song vs Garg and Garg can't do anything about it.

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
Isn't thanksgiving on november?

my elo has never exceeded 1300.even if I go there I imediately snowball back to the 1000-1100 since pokemon showdown remembers to sent me hard opponents.
Bruh if you're elo doesn't even come close to 1500 then you're not having a good grasp on the metagame. 1500 is usually where the average player rests and if you're lower than that, you're gonna run into stupid shit because lower ranked players don't know too much of the metagame. That's just the way the ladder works. Especially, by your own admission, that you keep returning to only 1000 elo which is what all new accounts start at

viivian

beep boop
is a Tiering Contributor
I agree that Espathra requires no skill at all to use (Like Nacl, and Pao) but I think a quickban right now especially (over Nacl especially) is a reach.
naclstack is balanced i think just get good i think

to avoid another one-liner, however, i fully agree that quickbans during a suspect test would be ridiculous and we should wait until after chien-pao's suspect to discuss potential QBs. as much as i'd love to see esparthra go, i don't think action should be taken against it right now. pao has the full attention of the community and it should keep that attention until a decision has been made and agreed upon

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
naclstack is balanced i think just get good i think
1675269557831.png

Keyword search "nacl" or "garganacl" on this thread you will see a lot of arguments why it actually isn't "balanced". Nacl is probably the biggest abuser of tera, with the future looking like tera as is will stay the way it's currently setup in conjunction of Pao being a good breaker on certain variants (assuming ban). Nacl will be extremely dominant for the foreseeable future. It does not get statused, Knock Off + Salt Cure methods have been used to break Covert Cloak arguments. It has fantastic bulk and access to moves such as Curse, Body Press, Iron Defense, Earthquake, Stealth Rocks, and Recover. It is literally the perfect "wall", it's not hard to keep alive you just have to avoid getting tricked which is easy with Protect variants. "Nacl is balanced" is CAP.

View attachment 488580

Keyword search "nacl" or "garganacl" on this thread you will see a lot of arguments why it actually isn't "balanced". Nacl is probably the biggest abuser of tera, with the future looking like tera as is will stay the way it's currently setup in conjunction of Pao being a good breaker on certain variants (assuming ban). Nacl will be extremely dominant for the foreseeable future. It does not get statused, Knock Off + Salt Cure methods have been used to break Covert Cloak arguments. It has fantastic bulk and access to moves such as Curse, Body Press, Iron Defense, Earthquake, Stealth Rocks, and Recover. It is literally the perfect "wall", it's not hard to keep alive you just have to avoid getting tricked which is easy with Protect variants. "Nacl is balanced" is CAP.
Honestly, while I personally have slowly stopped struggling vs Garg, I still know that Garg's trio kit of good bulk, Salt Cure, and Purifying Salt is still too much. Decent bulk with Purifying Salt means you can't wear it down with burns or poison. Purifying Salt with Salt Cure means you need to have a good Sub user that outpaces Garg, or run Cloak with a mon that can blitz it. Good bulk with Salt Cure means it becomes excessively annoying to take down for most Pokemon.

Of course, this is all in a vacuum. There ARE answers to Garg, but Garg's kit is just a tad bit too much for most players.

1LDK

The Stand
is a Top Team Rater
Finchinator on veut le tier shift gros glandeur arrête de te pignouf
oui oui oui baguette le France idk im sorry, here is you free haha
Isn't thanksgiving on November?
I don't know, you tell me
View attachment 488580

I know smogon does not support complex bans due to them being a slippery slope and a rabbit hole that could cause dangerous tiering misfires, but I do wonder how problematic Garga is if we take salt cure out of the equation, because salt cure is the thing that punishes everything and makes garga unironically one of the best wall breakers on the tier, water and steel, 2 of the best overall types are now bad, and forces you to tera or protean into worse defensive typings just to try and stay longer, this is why things like sub pult, sub dirge and grass knot gren are so effective, because it lets you play just a bit more into "the floor is salt cure" minigame

We have reached the point where Groudon's bulk is just decent. :psycry:

Since powercreep has come this far, which fomer ubers did everyone expect to drop to OU this gen?
I say "decent bulk" because I've watched Gargs get clapped in a single turn in my battles. Groudon also is able to set the sun, drastically reducing one of its common weaknesses; Water. Garg can't do that. Garg also has access to Tera, which changes how you play around it... Groudon does not for right now.

Groudon > Garg because of its better offenses and sun. Garg's entire thing is Salt Cure + Purifying Salt + Recovery.

oui oui oui baguette le France idk im sorry, here is you free haha

I don't know, you tell me

I know smogon does not support complex bans due to them being a slippery slope and a rabbit hole that could cause dangerous tiering misfires, but I do wonder how problematic Garga is if we take salt cure out of the equation, because salt cure is the thing that punishes everything and makes garga unironically one of the best wall breakers on the tier, water and steel, 2 of the best overall types are now bad, and forces you to tera or protean into worse defensive typings just to try and stay longer, this is why things like sub pult, sub dirge and grass knot gren are so effective, because it lets you play just a bit more into "the floor is salt cure" minigame
Counterpoint: Covert Cloak. I've started running it on my Gastrodon and it's putting in a lot of work, even against Garg. On a Pokemon with good bulk and a recovery move, Cloak actually feels pretty damn bananas.

viivian

beep boop
is a Tiering Contributor
View attachment 488580

i was joking i'm so sorry if i didn't make that clear enough. i have seen how broken this thing is at firsthand several times before and am fully supportive of a ban. i just thought it'd be funny if i said "naclstack is balanced" as a joke in response to you abbreviating garganacl as nacl

Groudon > Garg because of its better offenses and sun. Garg's entire thing is Salt Cure + Purifying Salt + Recovery.
Yeah, but talking just about bulk, having access to recovery that isn't rest is a big deal, especially if you are inmune to status.
In that sense, Garg outclasses Groudon as a defensive mon. Also, Salt cure isn't a joke, but it is DoT while Groudon has high damage output turn 1.

Speaking of garg, I'd like to vouch that ghost is a good tera type on the stealth rock set, there's not really dark coverage right now besides the small pool of knock users, and purifying salt cuts ghost type damage. Personally, I think I prefer it more than fairy.

Edit: forgot Greninja, haven't been seeing it as much. And kingambit who I've seen even less.

1LDK

The Stand
is a Top Team Rater
I know I'm probably gonna doom the meta into the ground with this, but it would be interesting to see Garganacl in Sand alongside Hippo (poor ttar cant catch a break) the amount of pure statistical unbreakable power sounds kinda interesting, has someone tried this?

I know I'm probably gonna doom the meta into the ground with this, but it would be interesting to see Garganacl in Sand alongside Hippo (poor ttar cant catch a break) the amount of pure statistical unbreakable power sounds kinda interesting, has someone tried this?
Honestly, feels like sand as a whole isn't a very good weather this gen. Rain seems iffy, and Sun is only ""good"" because of Protosynthesis. Garg in sand still has the same issues as out of sand, except that now those incoming Special attacks do a little less damage.

viivian

beep boop
is a Tiering Contributor
Honestly, feels like sand as a whole isn't a very good weather this gen. Rain seems iffy, and Sun is only ""good"" because of Protosynthesis. Garg in sand still has the same issues as out of sand, except that now those incoming Special attacks do a little less damage.
because there's no good abusers of it. that's why sun and rain are both viable whereas sand is not. its best option for a sweeper is lycanroc, which is an otherwise unviable pokemon without it. if excadrill, dracozolt or even houndstone were a part of the meta then the playstyle would see much more use than it does now

because there's no good abusers of it. that's why sun and rain are both viable whereas sand is not. its best option for a sweeper is lycanroc, which is an otherwise unviable pokemon without it. if excadrill, dracozolt or even houndstone were a part of the meta then the playstyle would see much more use than it does now
Interesting. What would Houndstone bring to the table, assuming Last Respects was banned and it went free/
Btw, Usage stats dropped baby!

And i have 1 question, wtf is torkoal doing in UU
Oh wow, hello tier shifts. Pawmot UU... I wonder why. It just got into OU last shift. Tauros-Fire keeps dropping lower and lower lmfao.

Interesting. What would Houndstone bring to the table, assuming Last Respects was banned and it went free/

Oh wow, hello tier shifts. Pawmot UU... I wonder why. It just got into OU last shift. Tauros-Fire keeps dropping lower and lower lmfao.
Tauros Fire is dropping due to Water one being a thing (and better in many match-ups) and Species Clause existing. If one uses one Tauros,he can't use the other on the same team, so both being viable sabotage the use of each other. If Lando-I isn't banned the first day Home drops, Lando-T will take some time to claim the number 1 spot from Tusk or Gholdengo for the very same reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 21)