SM OU Sweetener (Tapu Lele + Alakazam Psyspam)

1542654463920.png
1542654471049.png
1542654479813.png
1542654485758.png
1542654454736.png
1542654491761.png

============

Introduction
I've always liked to play Hyper Offense, especially teams with a plan. I conceptualized my team around the fact that Tapu Lele and Alakazam-Mega forms a Psychic Spam core to wear down each other’s checks. I know there's nothing revolutionary about the team, save for one or two unorthodox choices, but from its testing stages till now, Tapu Lele and Alakazam-Mega have never failed to impress me with their incredible wall-breaking ability. This team was an attempt to pave a clear way ahead for Tapu Lele and Alakazam-Mega to clean up, through proper trading and slow chipping.​

============​

An In-Depth Look

@
1542654151963.png

Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Taunt
- Focus Blast

Tapu Lele is my mid-game wallbreaker, and Psychic Terrain sets up stronger Psyshocks for Tapu Lele, and Psychics for Alakazam-Mega. I chose to use Taunt over Calm Mind since we didn’t have a way to stop slower set-up sweepers, or prevent stall from recovering or statusing. Z-Focus Blast allows me to lure in Heatran, the one steel-type that Magnezone can’t check. I go Max-Speed since Psychic Surge prevents priority moves from landing, thus allowing me to outspeed slower wallbreakers.​

@

Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- Spikes

Greninja is my revenge-killer, and check for Psychic types that can wall PsySpam. I choose Battle Bond over Protean because Greninja is usually meant to revenge-kill already low Pokemon, and Stealth Rocks provide enough chip to turn 2HKOs into 1HKOs. Water Shuriken might be anti-synergy as it can’t be utilized under Psychic Terrain, but max-speed Greninja usually outspeeds most of the meta anyway. Spikes can be used to stack more Hazards if my opponent tries to respond with slower options like AV Magearna.​

@

Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

Lando-T is my lead, and checks bulky Steel-types that can wall PsySpam. The extra speed investment allows me to outspeed Defensive Lando-T and Tyranitar, and Hidden Power [Ice] can deal with Lando-T and Garchomp. Rocky Helmet allows me to chip Mawile and other physical mons, which when coupled with SR chip can allow Greninja or Alakazam-Mega to revenge-kill. U-Turn allows me to utilize Lando-T as a pivot to take advantage of Intimidate, and can form Volt-Turn cores with both Magearna and Magnezone. He can always come back later on to Earthquake mons like Excadrill and Tyranitar.

@

Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Recover
- Calm Mind

Alakazam-Mega is my sweeper, and can perform as revenge-killer when Tapu Lele is fainted. Psychic Terrain works well with Alakazam-Mega, as it’s Psychic is more potent, and allows it to take advantage of its insane speed-tier while avoiding Sucker Punch and other priority moves. Focus Blast is to hit Steel and Dark types which can switch into it. I opted Focus Blast over Shadow Ball, as Greninja already checks Psychic types. I chose to utilize Calm Mind alongside Recover, since Calm Mind allows me to take 1 hit from Greninja. Recover allows me to reliably wall Latios, since Trace can copy Levitate to avoid Earthquake. Heatran is also covered to a certain extent, since Trace copies Flash Fire. Pre-Mega Alakazam has Magic Guard to prevent it from taking hazards damage.

@

Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Magnezone is my dedicated Steel check, trapping them with Magnet Pull and nuking them with Hidden Power [Fire], notably Mega-Scizor, Kartana, and Ferrothorn. I opted for an unorthodox set utilizing Assault Vest, as it allows Magnezone to also act as a Tapu Koko check. Max-HP allows Magnezone to tank one more hit, and coupled with AV gives it some bulk, allowing it to perform as a slow pivot as well. Flash Cannon allows me to hit Tapu Bulu and Ground types, the latter Greninja can finish off.

@

Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 248 HP / 224 SpD / 36 Spe
Sassy Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Iron Head
- Energy Ball
- Volt Switch

Magearna is my bulky pivot to check Clefable, and threaten Dark-types, notably Greninja. I opted for dual Assault-Vests to allow for safer pivoting since we don’t have hazard control. Volt Switch allows Magearna to play around and chip more tanky special walls like Toxapex and Mantine, allowing Alakazam-Mega or Tapu Lele to complete the job. Energy Ball is used since I already have [Ice] on Lando-T, as well as [Fire] on Magnezone; it helps hit Gastrodon.​

============​

Conclusion
I had fun using Tapu Lele, it being my favourite Pokemon at the moment. This team is far from perfect (and no team is perfect). However, it does a good job of illustrating how PsySpam is still a force of OU with the correct support. Haven't met a matchup that made me want to forfeit from team preview, which is a good thing I guess.​

Last edited:

Hey there, i'm Mawilove!
I am the Sweet Mawile, and I like to make|Decorated and Structured Rates to help other players and share my knowledge :)
Your team is very good, and I love this type of build, I love LeleZam, and I LOVE ARIANA GRANDE <3
Did you see her Live on Ellen singing Thank u, next? It was so beautiful and cute, she almost cried, almost fell, laughed, it was magic, omg, i'm happy to see that she's okay, and her new song (as well as Breathin) fits very well with me, touched my heart. Love You Ariana Grande ♥
Returning to the team, I see that you do not have a Choice Scarf user, which leaves you with a low speed control, so you have problems with very offensive architectures like Aurora Veil, Screens and Sticky Web, especially considering that you do not have access to Defog. Even for lack of speed control, you also have problems with fast Choice Scarf users, and setup sweepers that increase your speed, such as Volcarona.
I think you would need a very fast Choice Scarf or another strong priority user, and I thought of some options like Greninja, Kartana and Weavile, but that would change your team a lot, because I would probably remove Magnezone, so I'll just leave it as a final option.
The Changes
1542737514954.png
Magnezone |
1542737710453.png
Assault Vest >
1542738943329.png
Choice Scarf

Magnezone is not exactly a great speed control, but you need it very fast to outspeed and revenge kill some important targets like Kyurem-Black and Ninetales-Alola, and your EVs allow Magearna, Celesteela, Mega Scizor and Tapu Bulu to outspeeds you, this sucks. The Ninetales-Alola case is essential because you outspeed it and kill it before it can use Aurora Veil.

1542734788342.png
Ash-Greninja | Spikes > Ice Beam

Your team has a large weakness to Bulky Grass-types, as Tangrowth resists hits to all of their pokémon, and also presses Magearna, Magnezone and Landorus-T through Earthquake and Hidden Power Ice, in case the Tapu Bulu can be even worse, because it has more longevity and modifies the field in the field. Ice Beam gives more than reasonable damage on both, and because of the offensive nature of the team, I was not using much Spikes, since getting stuck in a move that does not hurt would make me lose a lot of momentum.

1542738540857.png
Mega Alakazam | Calm Mind > Shadow Ball
You can not afford to lose momentum for Psychic-types, especially Victini, and you'll rarely get a chance to kill them for Greninja (They'll do anything to prevent it). I rarely used Calm Mind anyway because it spends a turn of Psychic Terrain atoa, since the +1 Psychic damage out of Psychic Terrain is the same as Psychic within the Psychic Terrain.

1542738975543.png
Landorus-T | Hidden Power Ice > Defog
This decision hurts, as losing Hidden Power Ice makes you more open to Zygarde and Gliscor, but you need more Defog than Hidden Power Ice because an occasional Defog in Screens / Aurora Veil or Hazard Stack cases, especially Sticky Web is mandatory, even more considering that it is immune to Sticky Web and Spikes / TSpikes.

1542740730895.png
Magearna | Energy Ball > Ice Beam
Energy Ball is not very necessary because Gastrodon is no longer a threat as before (I have not seen a team that uses Gastrodon for some time), and in case you find one, it can even be dealt with Tapu Lele thanks to Taunt. Ice Beam will surprise KO targets like Landorus-Therian, and press Grass-types as Serperior and Tangrowth.

Final Considerations
Your team is nice, but your speed control sucks, and i can't fix it without changing your team a lot, keep this in mind.
You do not have to follow ALL the modifications, but this is extremely recommended, so do not disrupt your team.
I'm sure you'll like the changes when testing, and I hope you'll respond to my rate with your opinions.
Feel free to PM me on Showdown whenever you want ;)
Here's your new team! Feel free to change shinies and nicknames!
Here are other very good options you can try!
- Weavile is a good choice in place of Ash-Greninja or Magnezone, as it shares checks with LeleZam, has access to priority and Knock Off, and pressures Grass-types with Icicle Crash. (If you put it in Magnezone's place, Hidden Power Fire is needed in Mega Alakaza instead of Shadow Ball.)
- Scarf Greninja is a good option in place of Ash-Greninja, giving you much more speed control, and luring certain pokémon.
- Scarf Kartana is a good option in place of the Magnezone, because besides giving much speed control necessary to the team, has access to Defog, which brings back Hidden Power Ice of Landorus-T.
- Energy Ball is a good option on Mega Alakazam instead of Shadow Ball to OHKO Mega Swampert and Gastrodon, especially after Tracing Swift Swim.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)