Not open for further replies.

HypnoEmpire

Yokatta...

Grass Behemoth

Overview
########
  • Amazing physical bulk.
  • Very nice 100/110 offenses.
  • Regenerator adds on to it's effectiveness as a bulky Pokemon.
  • Has a good support movepool and reliable recovery.
  • Grass is a bad defensive typing.
  • Poor Special Defense stat.
  • Very low base 50 Speed stat.
Defensive Utility
########
name: Defensive Utility
move 1: Leech Seed
move 2: Giga Drain / Hidden Power Fire
move 3: Knock Off / Stun Spore
move 4: Knock Off / Sleep Powder
ability: Regenerator
item: Leftovers
nature: Bold / Relaxed
evs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA

Moves
========
  • Leech Seed gives more recovery and slowly chips away at opposing Pokemon's health.
  • Giga Drain for more recovery and does decent damage to anything that doesn't resist it.
  • Hidden Power Fire for Grass-types that might try to switch into a Leech Seed and Forretress.
  • Knock Off gives great utility and gets rid of opposing Pokemon's item.
  • Stun Spore cripples opposing Pokemon and can give Pokemon on your team setup opportunities.
  • Sleep Powder to, obviously, make the opposing Pokemon fall asleep.
Set Details
========
  • 248 HP and max Def maximizes Tangrowth's effectiveness as a physical wall and gives it an odd HP number while 8 SpA gives Giga Drain and Hidden Power Fire slightly more power.
  • Leftovers heals Tangrowth and gives it more longevity.
  • Regenerator gives Tangrowth 30% of its health back every time Tangrowth switches out, making it difficult to wear down.
  • Bold is the preferred nature, but Relaxed can be used to strengthen Knock Off in exchange for reduced Speed.
Usage Tips
========
  • Try not taking too many hits
  • Don't attempt to take special hits because Special Defense it really low.
  • Leech Seed should be used a lot. If opponent has Grass-type, try to predict the switch by double switching or using HP Fire.
Team Options
========
  • Setup sweepers like Mega Houndoom and Suicune appreciate the support Tangrowth can provide by paralyzing and/or making opposing Pokemon sleep.
Offensive Tank
########
name: Offensive Tank
move 1: Leaf Storm
move 2: Giga Drain / Knock Off
move 3: Focus Blast / Earthquake
move 4: Hidden Power Fire / Sludge Bomb / Sleep Powder
item: Choice Specs / Life Orb
nature: Modest / Quiet
evs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpA

Moves
========
  • Leaf Storm is a really powerful STAB move and can put big dents into anything that doesn't resist it.
  • Giga Drain for STAB recovery and does decent enough damage.
  • Knock Off should only be used with LO and it's there because it's Knock Off.
  • Focus Blast to wreck things like Mega Aggron and Hydreigon.
  • Earthquake with LO only and to wreck things like Chandelure and Victini.
  • Hidden Power Fire for Grass-types like Roserade and also for Forretress.
  • Sleep Powder only with LO and to make things fall asleep, obviously.
Set Details
========
  • 248 HP for bulk and an odd HP number. Max Special Attack to give Leaf Storm max power. 8 Attack to give physical hits slightly more power.
  • Choice Specs make it really strong and stuff.
  • Life Orb to switch moves, or course. Enables you to use physical moves well and works well with Regenerator. Breaks through special walls easier.
  • Regenerator because everything else sucks.
  • Modest for Special Attack boost, but Quiet to run physical moves in exchange for less Speed.
Usage Tips
========
  • Send in and wreck stuff.
  • Don't take many hits; switch in and out.
  • Watch out for status.
Team Options
========
  • Like with every Choice Specs user, you need teammates that can take hits for Tangrowth because it'll need to constantly switch out. Mew, Slowbro, and Florges can all do that.
  • Status Absorbers like Guts Heracross.
Other Options
########
  • Sunny Day and Leaf Guard or Leaf Guard on Sun-based teams.
  • Growth on Sun-based teams.
  • SubSplit.
  • Swords Dance.
  • Assault Vest.
Checks and Counters
########
**Fire-types**: Resist Leaf Storm. Victini and Mega Houndoom.

**Special Attackers**: Porygon-Z and Mega Blastoise.

**Grass-types**: Immune to Leech Seed, Stun Spore, and Sleep Powder and resist Leaf Storm. Roserade and Shaymin.

**Mega Aggron**: Takes pitiful damage from Earthquake and resists Leaf Storm. Needs to watch out for Leech Seed, Stun Spore, and Sleep Powder. Mega Aggron can power through Tangrowth if it needs to.

**Crobat**: Quad Resists Leaf Storm and takes neutral from other attacks. Needs to watch out for support moves. Can hit back with powerful Brave Bird.

**Florges**: Unless Choice Specs, Sludge Bomb can't break through a healthy Florges and it can hit back with powerful Moonblasts. Watch out for support moves.

**Noivern**: Resists Leaf Storm and takes neutral from the rest. Can hit back with powerful Hurricane. Watch out for support moves.

**Rotom-H**: Resists Leaf Storm and takes neutral from the rest. Can hit back with powerful Overheat. Watch out for support moves.

**Forretress**: Immune to moves like Sleep Powder thanks to Overcoat and quad resists Leaf Storm. Loses to sets running Hidden Power Fire.

Last edited:
AV at least deserves an OO mention imo (sorry I know this is a WIP),
Having a niche as an AV user with Regenerator, solid offenses, and a surprisingly large offensive movepool for a Grass type gives it a distinct advantage. It takes special hits A LOT better than it would normally. It's a great tank and I'm honestly surprised it was demoted for a main set.

Yeah AV needs to be mentioned at the very least in OO. I mean you're mentioning Amnesia and it's better than that so you might as well include it :P

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
You should just rename the offensive tank set offensive and slash in Chlorophyll tbh. I would also give it a more offensively-inclined spread to fit this change.
tbh, I have tested the AV set and it is incredibly useful. Tangrowth has access to a series of attributes that other AV users really wish they had (STAB Giga Drain, Regenerator and access to Knock Off (while still being able to feasibly able to use it)) and it is no slouch either offensively or defensively. AV was a godsend for Tangrowth in the field of tanking, and I would give it a set between defensive utility and offensive sets while making it look something along these lines:

Assault Vest
########
name: Assault Vest
move 1: Giga Drain
move 2: Knock Off
move 3: Focus Blast
move 4: Hidden Power Fire / Sludge Bomb
item: Assault Vest
evs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpA
nature: Modest

I didn't include EQ as it simply doesn't hit hard enough to warrant use on this set.

You should probably specialize the EVs on the offensive set a little to let your physical moves actually deal damage.

HypnoEmpire

Yokatta...
Yeah AV needs to be mentioned at the very least in OO. I mean you're mentioning Amnesia and it's better than that so you might as well include it :P
I made this late at night and I forgot about adding AV to OO.
AV at least deserves an OO mention imo (sorry I know this is a WIP),
Having a niche as an AV user with Regenerator, solid offenses, and a surprisingly large offensive movepool for a Grass type gives it a distinct advantage. It takes special hits A LOT better than it would normally. It's a great tank and I'm honestly surprised it was demoted for a main set.
You should just rename the offensive tank set offensive and slash in Chlorophyll tbh. I would also give it a more offensively-inclined spread to fit this change.
tbh, I have tested the AV set and it is incredibly useful. Tangrowth has access to a series of attributes that other AV users really wish they had (STAB Giga Drain, Regenerator and access to Knock Off (while still being able to feasibly able to use it)) and it is no slouch either offensively or defensively. AV was a godsend for Tangrowth in the field of tanking, and I would give it a set between defensive utility and offensive sets while making it look something along these lines:

Assault Vest
########
name: Assault Vest
move 1: Giga Drain
move 2: Knock Off
move 3: Focus Blast
move 4: Hidden Power Fire / Sludge Bomb
item: Assault Vest
evs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpA
nature: Modest

I didn't include EQ as it simply doesn't hit hard enough to warrant use on this set.

You should probably specialize the EVs on the offensive set a little to let your physical moves actually deal damage.
Anyway, AV was already a no on irc so unless QC tells me otherwise or if you con provide a time in which it would be useful, then I won't add it. What special attacker can it even switch into? There are very few Pokemon that don't carry a super effective move for Tangrowth and the prominent special attackers in the tier easily 2HKO a max HP max SpD Assault Vest set, so really, I don't see the point of adding it. Tangrowth could be a good switch in to bulky Water-types, but Tangrowth doesn't like being statused and a lot of bulky Water-types carry Ice Beam.

Edit: Also, this is a work in progress lol. The EVs and all that will be figured out before this is QC ready.

It isn't meant to switch-in on special attacks, you defeat the purpose of it if that's the case. It acts a great Rock/Ground/Water check in general and since there are a lot of tankier Waters, non-STAB Ice Beams aren't gonna do the job, and health is restored via Giga Drain/Regenerator. Moreover, there are very few things that enjoy being statused so I fail to see where status cripples AV Tangrowth more than something else, and of course, there's always good clerics you can resort too if you hate it (Aromatisse, Lanturn as examples).

HypnoEmpire

Yokatta...
It isn't meant to switch-in on special attacks, you defeat the purpose of it if that's the case. It acts a great Rock/Ground/Water check in general and since there are a lot of tankier Waters, non-STAB Ice Beams aren't gonna do the job, and health is restored via Giga Drain/Regenerator. Moreover, there are very few things that enjoy being statused so I fail to see where status cripples AV Tangrowth more than something else, and of course, there's always good clerics you can resort too if you hate it (Aromatisse, Lanturn as examples).
Fine, if AV got a set what EVs would you run on it?

Since Tangrowth has such great natural physical bulk, a 252 HP/252 Sp.D Sassy set sounds most logical, since you tank neutral hits from both sides of the spectrum pretty comfortably. Unless of course there's a spread out there that nets some 2HKO's that I don't know about, without hopefully sacrificing too much bulk.

HypnoEmpire

Yokatta...
Since Tangrowth has such great natural physical bulk, a 252 HP/252 Sp.D Sassy set sounds most logical, since you tank neutral hits from both sides of the spectrum pretty comfortably. Unless of course there's a spread out there that nets some 2HKO's that I don't know about, without hopefully sacrificing too much bulk.
I'll add it when I get time and see what QC says about it when it's ready.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
It is rather easy to forget that AV isn't a defensive item, which is my only real issue with that spread. When running AV, it is best to try and specialize the EVs to fulfill the purpose of being a tank more effectively. With that spread you are turning it into more of a wall, but it probably isn't far off what the final spread will be anyway, so I won't criticize too heavily.
Tangrowth could be a good switch in to bulky Water-types, but Tangrowth doesn't like being statused and a lot of bulky Water-types carry Ice Beam.
if status cripples it so much, make sure to add mentions of clerics in team options to deal with this issue. Talking of team options, it is probably a good idea to flesh it out a little as it is all very lacking in bullet points.

You should mention in the overview that most physical attackers like Victini, Toxicroak, Darmanitan and to a lesser extent MegAerodactyl can easily get past Tangrowth so it should only be used if your team can reliably deal with those. Also mention it faces competition from Chesnaught who has spikes and a Rock resistance to differentiate himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)