Pokémon Teal Mask

ausma

token smogon furry
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Forum Leader
Ogerpon (Teal Mask)
ezgif-3-79887c18f7.gif

HP: 80
Atk: 120
Def: 84
SpA: 60
SpD: 96
Spe: 110

Abilities: Defiant / Embody Aspect*

*An ability with unique mechanics. When Terastallized, this Pokemon's Speed stat is raised by one stage on switch-in. This ability replaces Ogerpon's original ability, meaning it cannot be accessed without Terastalization and that its original ability will be gone once you Terastalize.

Terastalization Potential:
Teal Mask uses Tera in a completely unique way, and it simply comes down to Embody Aspect. Embody Aspect itself is an ability that completely changes the dimensions of Tera's utility, as instead of the type shift itself, you're aiming to focus on boosting your primary STAB and reaping a free stat boost. This can be a massive benefit with the right support, but the innate strengths of changing your defensive profile or adding a new STAB is entirely out of the question as Teal Mask is completely locked to Tera Grass.

Offensive Moves:
Ivy Cudgel*
Wood Hammer
Power Whip
Horn Leech
Knock Off
U-turn
Play Rough
Superpower
Brick Break
Low Kick
Zen Headbutt
Stomping Tantrum

Setup:
Trailblaze
Swords Dance

Utility:
Knock Off
U-turn
Leech Seed
Synthesis
Spikes
Encore
Taunt
Spiky Shield

* Signature Move: Ivy Cudgel
Type: Grass / BP: 100 / Acc: 100 / PP: 10 (16)
This move's type changes depending on the mask worn by the user, and has a heightened chance of landing a critical hit.

Pros:

1: The Item Slot
Of the Ogerpon forms, the Teal Mask is the only one that has the luxury of holding an item as it is Ogerpon's base form. This alone is a massive reason to consider the Teal Mask as your Ogerpon of choice, as it means that Ogerpon is leveraged to diversify its movesets and even improve their potency. Options like Choice Band, Heavy-Duty Boots, Leftovers,Lum Berry, or Life Orb open themselves up to you!

2: Teal Mask's Embody Aspect boost
It is arguably the strongest of the four, as gaining 1 stage of Speed on entry lets it outspeed the entire metagame even after switching out. Compared to Booster Energy, its primary comparison, its utility is entirely in your control as there is no opportunity cost of Booster Energy exclusively activating the first time you enter the field. The Speed boost itself can also be useful across sets, adding dimensionality for it as a utility Pokemon or even allowing it to clean.

3: Reasonably Good Stats
For a Pokemon that relies on your Tera, its natural Speed tier is pretty serviceable (outpacing Walking Wake/Monkidori), its Attack stat is solid enough to be worth the investment, and its bulk is not terrible whatsoever. This means that it should be able to get some work done with the right support.

4: Excellent Movepool
Ogerpon's utility movepool is actually really deep, boasting access to Knock Off, Encore, Taunt, Leech Seed, etc., and its coverage for dedicated offensive sets is effective and well-clad enough to get the job done, even without a secondary STAB. This means set variety should be no problem for Teal Mask Ogerpon.

5: Defiant
Teal Mask's access to Defiant pre-Tera means that it is able to severely punish Intimidate cycling, but more importantly it is able to wholly punish attempts at clearing Aurora Veil which makes it easier to set up if no Defog usage occurs, and grants +2 Attack if they do use Defog. This can potentially be very deadly in tandem with Embody Aspect's immediate Speed boost.

Cons

1: Terastal Limitations

While this a problem for every Ogerpon form, it is arguably the worst with Teal Mask; it cannot use Tera to shift to any other type than mono-Grass. Comparatively, the other forms are able to switch to monotypes of their respective mask type from a dual typing, possibly granting a needed resist in the right matchup. However if you use your Tera on Teal Mask, it is a heavy commitment exclusively in exchange for a powerful Embody Aspect effect and a stronger STAB. That's it.

2: Awkward STAB Situation
In addition to not having the ability to use Tera to gain a new STAB, Teal Mask, type wise, is the worst off offensively of its forms. While the other forms have access to a reliable STAB option in Ivy Cudgel that generally helps accentuate their secondary Grass STAB, Ogerpon only has a single STAB to work with (and it's honestly not even one that's particularly great to have). This can limit the potential of offensively geared Ogerpon sets without Embody Aspect.

3: Middling Typing
Having the ability to soak Water- and Ground-type moves to some capacity (looking at you Scald) may be nice, but as an offensive Pokemon, Ogerpon would much rather have less weak points to ease setup. It has the most weaknesses of the Ogerpon forms because it lacks the secondary type that trends toward neutralizing weaknesses for them, including one to U-turn.

4: Reliance on Tera
Teal Mask's Embody Element should not be taken lightly, but it's one that requires a very heavy (and maybe even imbalanced) commitment to actually reap the rewards of. Because using your Tera on Teal Mask is already more demanding compared to the other forms, its reliance on the strength of its effect on Teal Mask can be jarring at times. Without its Embody Aspect, Ogerpon's offensive profile is simply not OU caliber.

Sets
DISCLAIMER: These sets are of somewhat dubious quality, however I really wanted to illustrate the potential of its Embody Aspect. Tread with caution

Ogerpon (F) @ Life Orb / Expert Belt
Ability: Defiant
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Horn Leech / Ivy Cudgel
- Low Kick / Play Rough
- Knock Off

This is most likely to be the standard set--or at least the most common. With a Life Orb, Ogerpon can loosely offset the lack of STAB on its main coverage options to more comfortably secure KOs. With a Life Orb boost and Tera Grass, its Grass STAB becomes obscenely strong. Life Orb + Horn Leech is generally preferred as Horn Leech secures the kills you need anyway while letting you offset damage taken while setting up and tackle priority moves easier, whereas Ivy Cudgel is the immediate damage-dealing option. If you opt for Ivy Cudgel, I feel as though Expert Belt is probably better as Ogerpon, from my experience, needs to be healthy. Low Kick and Play Rough can be mixed and matched, but Knock Off is extremely necessary for Gholdengo.
Ogerpon (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 152 SpD / 104 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Horn Leech
- Knock Off
- Synthesis / Substitute

This spread opts for a less HO-oriented setup sweeper, letting a sweeper Ogerpon fit onto bulky offense more easily. Ogerpon's bulk is above average, and since Embody Aspect makes it so you are able to secure the Speed tier you need to reliably clean, there is a lot of room for bulk investment to stack SD boosts. Knock Off is widely applicable, making it a must-have imo, but the last slot is really down to if you prefer 50% recovery or impunity to Status while taking advantage of weak Scald users like Alomomola or Slowking. This spread will outspeed Baxcalibur, Great Tusk, and offensive Landorus-T.
Ogerpon (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Horn Leech / Ivy Cudgel
- Knock Off

Do you miss Serperior? Well, you'll get him back soon, but for now here's a shitty replacement that's probably better for lower tiers that takes advantage of Embody Aspect and its natural Speed tier. Knock Off is necessary to pressure Gholdengo which is Leech Seed immune, while the rest of the set is dedicated to maximum SubSeed carnage you know and love.
Ogerpon (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Jolly Nature
- Ivy Cudgel / Horn Leech
- Knock Off
- Spikes
- U-turn

The combined access of Defiant, Knock Off, Spikes, and U-turn are a pretty splendid combo, and Embody Aspect can transform it into a late-game cleaner once it has done its job and if opportune. I would not expect this to be super promising as Meowscarada surely outclasses it, but Defiant + Embody Aspect are neat enough to grant it fringe value.
Ogerpon (F) @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Ivy Cudgel
- Knock Off
- Superpower
- U-turn

This set lives in honor of Rillaboom's SS heritage, taking advantage of its high BP STAB, Knock Off, and U-turn to pose a disruptive offensive threat and potent pivot throughout the game, while having a tool in the back pocket to clean up in the endgame. For Rillaboom that was Grassy Glide, for Ogerpon it is Embody Aspect.

Closing Thoughts

Ogerpon is one of the strangest metagame additions the series has seen in a while, but it's one that I personally welcome, as it opens up a new avenue for teams to take advantage of a mechanic in a new and interesting way. In the case of Teal Mask, I am honestly unsure of how well it will fare in OU. The lack of a secondary STAB/any kind of type shifting in its Tera adds a layer of limitation to it compared to its other forms, but its Embody Aspect and item access are so fundamentally strong that it may manage to carve out a niche over other forms. How big of one, however, I am not very sure of. Holistically speaking, Ogerpon's reliance on Tera stings it more than is maybe comfortable for the average builder, so I do see it as possible that we may see some Ogerpon action in UU/RU. Either way, she is adorable and she is gonna be good somewhere, trust.

Let me know if I missed anything/if you have any thoughts!

This mon being introduced at the same time as Grassy Glide is unfortunate. Rillaboom will be massive competition to this Pokemon as a Grass Attacker, as it's revenge killing prowess is not fully based on Tera and it can Tera into other types like Dark to muscle past Grass Resist. More importantly, Rillaboom provides more utility with its Grassy Terrain, which provides passive recovery to Teammates like defensive Gholdengo, weakens enemy EQs and opens up other Pokemon like Sneaseler to Sweep. In fact, Rilla + Sneaseler seems like it will accomplish everything this Pokemon wants to more effectively and without Tera.

Idk, I am rather uninformed on the new Pokemon, so I may be missing something, but I do not think this Pokemon will be good in OU barring on very specific structures. From what I've played on ladder, the other forms like the Fire one feel more dangerous. I think this Pokemon will be fantastic, possibly broken in UU though.

Assuming the ability is a +1 boost this means it's only a little slower than Regieleki. Adamant will hit 478 speed! With the Tera boost and a Choice Band Ivy Cudgel can 2HKO 252 / 104 Zapdos, Bold Cresselia, Gholdengo, Impish Lando-T, Toxapex, and with like 5% chip even 2HKO max HP Jirachi. Outside of 4x resists it's pretty hard to find anything that can switch in on Tera Grass Banded Teal Mask.

Well it does get hard walled by Corviknight, Moltres, and Dragonite so it probably won't be getting far in the OU tier. Good luck to RU or UU though.

Without Tera Form, I have the impression that it suffers from competition with Meowscadara, faster, with better ability and secondary STAB without Protean

Yeah Choice Band Tera goes really hard with it. I tried Wood Hammer aswell but I am not certain if it hits a bench mark

I like this form the most reminds me of Galsr Darmanitan or however the Snowman is called

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)