XY OU Team Building Advice

I play a lot of Pokémon, but majority of the time is spent IV breeding and training. I just love it. Either way, my some of my friends are aware of this and have started challenging me to battles. I of course obliterate them, so they moved on to discovering Showdown battles. These battles were much closer. I don't follow the meta-game very much, but I am aware that bulky offense is a good team concept. I decided to build a team of my own to use on Showdown and mirror in game. I am unaware as to if there is a common threat that will easily sweep my team, or if the team has some other fatal flaw. Either way, any opinions/advice would be greatly appreciated. Please note, I spent a lot of time (around 5 hours) reading up on teambuilding, synergy, and specific set selection because this is my first competitive team. All of the Pokemon I have bred so far were because I liked them, not because they were OP. I also try to avoid using Legendaries, as I want to mirror the team in-game. Here we go.

I'm like a Scizor, Physical Sweeper (Scizor) @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Atk / 16 Def / 200 SpD
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower

This is the sweeper that I have based the team around. I loved Scizor before, and I feel it fits a bulky offense team with its mega. The EVs, according to Smogon, allow Scizor to be as bulky as possible, avoiding many 2HKOs from common threats. The moves were selected for a mix survivability and offense. The main goal is set up 3 Swords Dances, then Bullet Punch Spam. Superpower to hit the annoying steel types that resist Bullet Punch.

Espeon @ Light Clay
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Psychic
- Morning Sun

As with Scizor, I love Espeon (this is last one I will say I love). Special bulk is the name of this Espeon's game, providing cover to Scizor to setup under, and reflect away status moves on the correct prediction. Morning Sun is included because I doubt Scizor will be able to sweep entire teams all at once, so cover must be provided multiple times, meaning Espeon must also survive. Psychic is included to give it some offensive potential should the situation call for it. The EV spread shouldn't need explanation, but ask if you fell it will help. This is actually important in other important way. This team can easily be shut down by taunt, so being able to negate that threat is huge.

Milotic @ Leftovers
Ability: Marvel Scale
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Recover
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Dragon Pulse

With a sweeper 4x weak to fire, a bulky water type is absolutely necessary. Milotic seemed to fit the bill, with a Fire type resistance and Specially Defensive stats (I think most fire types are Special Attackers but I'm not sure if this is true). This Milotic forces the opposing Fire type out, or goes for the KO if it stays in, all the while remaining defensive enough to tank hits and heal off damage. Milotic also has the added niche of becoming significantly more bulky on the physical side should they have a Pokémon spreading status conditions. The EV spread shouldn't need explanation, but ask if you fell it will help. The damage moves get solid coverage on most types, and the fire types it needs to wall. The only one I am unsure about is Dragon Pulse, as it only counters Dragon types that might pack Fire-type moves.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 192 Def / 72 Spe
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Earthquake
- Acrobatics

While it isn't the smartest play to use a fighting or ground type to KO Scizor, some teams might have this as the only solution to the Scizor problem I present. Thus a physically defensive, and semi-fast, Pokémon to counter these threats to Scizor. Gliscor's EVs were selected to provide maximum healing due to Poison Heal, as any more health actually decreases the amount gained. 72 Speed EVs was needed to out speed all max speed base 70s, with the remainder going into Defense for bulk. Defog is used because no other member of the team can remove entry hazards as well. Gliscor's glaring Ice-type and Water-type weakness are both nicely handled by Milotic and the next member. The damage moves represent the main STAB attacks Gliscor packs.

Bisharp @ Assault Vest
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 192 HP / 220 Atk / 96 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch

Until this point, I felt that my team would be easily beaten by opposing setup sweepers, such as Dragonite. Thus, I decided I needed a solution, and arrived at Sucker Punch. Bisharp is one of the better users of this move, and Bisharp's Defense isn't laughable. These EVs specifically allow Bisharp to survive Stealth Rocks, and HP Fire from Latios. I am unsure as to whether or not I have selected the correct item, but Bisharp also serves as a scout, sharing weaknesses with Scizor, easing prediction when it comes to Scizor's moves. Assault vest is used to help tank special Ice-type moves that Gliscor and Garchomp want to avoid. Sucker Punch is obviously necessary, with Iron Head providing another STAB attack, and Pursuit/Knock Off for support.

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 76 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Toxic

The one semi-lapse in synergy I can spot on this team. Garchomp's main role is to be bulky on both sides (Physical and Special), throw down rocks, and punish physical attackers on the switch. The aforementioned lapse in synergy is that Gliscor uses Defog to remove hazards, clearing away Garchomp's own. Earthquake is a powerful STAB, and Dragon Tail helps phase threats Garchomp doesn't want to face, without having the negative priority. Toxic is simply a filler move that helps defensive Pokémon stall.

Hey, defensively this team is pretty nice. For one thing for now though, if you plan to sweep with scizor, you should replace roost for another attack, since defensive Pokemon like gliscor, skarmory, lando T, etc can wall you. +2 knock off is surprisingly powerful, and bug bite is a more powerful stab. Alternatively, U turn allows Unboosted scizor to gain momentum when an opponent expects SD. Also, in general, getting to plus 6 attack is really hard. Consider investing more Evs in attack, and shooting for just one or two SDs

Hey, defensively this team is pretty nice. For one thing for now though, if you plan to sweep with scizor, you should replace roost for another attack, since defensive Pokemon like gliscor, skarmory, lando T, etc can wall you. +2 knock off is surprisingly powerful, and bug bite is a more powerful stab. Alternatively, U turn allows Unboosted scizor to gain momentum when an opponent expects SD
I guess that means Scizor doesn't need roost to set up?

I guess that means Scizor doesn't need roost to set up?
If you want 6 attack boosts then sure, but then you would have to use Scizor as a Late Game Sweeper, after all major threats are eliminated. Notice: the prevalence of talon flame and magnezone.
Unless the other player has no switch ins, you will probably get 1 or 2 SDs in before getting threatened out or WOW'd

Also mamoswine would run through your team after scizor is dead. Ice plus ground is SE on most of your team.

If you want 6 attack boosts then sure, but then you would have to use Scizor as a Late Game Sweeper, after all major threats are eliminated. Notice: the prevalence of talon flame and magnezone.
Unless the other player has no switch ins, you will probably get 1 or 2 SDs in before getting threatened out or WOW'd

Also mamoswine would run through your team after scizor is dead. Ice plus ground is SE on most of your team.
Then consider Roost to be dropped.

As for Mamoswine, Talonflame, and Magnezone, what would you personally recommend to help with these threats

Then consider Roost to be dropped.

As for Mamoswine, Talonflame, and Magnezone, what would you personally recommend to help with these threats
I wouldn't call magnezone or talons specific threats to your team, rather things that might force your scizor out after one or two SDs. Mamoswine, on the other hand is probably best dealt with through the introduction of Azumarill over bisharp. A choice band variant can stop boosting mega gyarados, zard x, and even outrage dragonite. Band Aqua jet should OHKO uninvested mamoswine as well.

Sorry for doing this sporadically, but I just noticed that your team has no specially offensive presence at all. In fact, a WoW sableye could destroy your team. I suggest adding a Rotom-w instead of milotic. Volt switch gives nice pivot abilities while hydro pump allows rotom to maintain offensive presence. Last two slots could be Wow and hex or an HP

Edit: Yes, If zard x gyarados or dragonite stayed in, Azu could counter OhKo. (You might not wanna switch into an earthquake however(assuming SR damage applies)

Last edited:
I wouldn't call magnezone or talons specific threats to your team, rather things that might force your scizor out after one or two SDs. Mamoswine, on the other hand is probably best dealt with through the introduction of Azumarill over bisharp. A choice band variant can stop boosting mega gyarados, zard x, and even outrage dragonite. Band Aqua jet should OHKO uninvested mamoswine as well.
And by "Stop boosting", does that mean Azumarill will get a KO after they boost? If it deos, then I will make that change for sure

Sorry for doing this sporadically, but I just noticed that your team has no specially offensive presence at all. In fact, a WoW sableye could destroy your team. I suggest adding a Rotom-w instead of milotic. Volt switch gives nice pivot abilities while hydro pump allows rotom to maintain offensive presence. Last two slots could be Wow and hex or an HP

Edit: Yes, If zard x gyarados or dragonite stayed in, Azu could counter OhKo. (You might not wanna switch into an earthquake however(assuming SR damage applies)
Being sporadic is fine, iinformationand experience from other players is what I'm after. If you think Rotom-W is a better Specially Defensive and Ofensive choice, then I will look into it. I guess this is where my inexperience shows, but I fail to see how Azumarill can counter OHKO Charizard X, Gyrarados, or Dragonite. And I always to put down rocks

Being sporadic is fine, iinformationand experience from other players is what I'm after. If you think Rotom-W is a better Specially Defensive and Ofensive choice, then I will look into it. I guess this is where my inexperience shows, but I fail to see how Azumarill can counter OHKO Charizard X, Gyrarados, or Dragonite. And I always to put down rocks
Azumarill choice band play rough should ohko mega gyarados and Dragonite after rocks. Charizard should be at 50 percent after rocks. Anything moderately powerful kills it from then

Azumarill choice band play rough should ohko mega gyarados and Dragonite after rocks. Charizard should be at 50 percent after rocks. Anything moderately powerful kills it from then
DDance versions of M-Gyarados and Dragonite wouldn't be KO'ed by Azumarill, but I guess I have other solutions fort hat issue

As a replacement bulky water i would recommend bulky Starmie because even though it does not have the same defensive stats as Milotic it makes up with rapid spin and psyshock which hurts Mega-Venusaur who seems to completely shit on you. I would also recommend changing roost on Scizor to either knock off or bug bite so that you have an easier time sweeping mid game as opposed to being forced to set up late game when your counters are gone. The dual screens on Espeon give you the bulk to set up without recovery.

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 32 Def / 4 SpA / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Psyshock

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)