SM OU The A Team - Hyper Offense

The A Team

PREFACE

Greetings everyone, first I should introduce myself. I'm Batagini from Brazil, I started playing competitive-ish in Gen V, stopped within the release of Gen VI (a little mega evolution prejudgement I must say) and returned a few months ago. More free time brought me back to PS and I decided to try to climb the ladder once again but I'm struggling to get past 1500 ELO, so here I am​

THE_TEAM

DETAILED_ANALYSIS

Azelf @ Focus Sash​
Ability: Levitate​
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe​
Jolly Nature​
- Explosion​
- Knock Off​
- Stealth Rock​
- Taunt​
I always liked the idea of a dedicated (suicide) lead and I've been using Azelf in UU with relative sucess. Moving to OU my first thought was replacing it with Greninja and I did this, however Greninja wasn't that good on the team. Despite being faster, it only seemed better agains Landorus-T (which isn't much of a threat) and against Azelf itself (really not that common). SR is generally better than Spikes or T-Spikes and Explosion hits very hard if there's no resistance. More often than not I can Taunt other leads, SR and explode with Azelf fullfilling its purpose.​
☆彡​
Tapu Koko @ Shuca Berry​
Ability: Electric Surge​
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe​
Timid Nature​
IVs: 0 Atk​
- Thunderbolt​
- Volt Switch​
- Hidden Power [Ice]​
- Defog​
Tapu is here mostly because of Hawlucha but not only for it. Electric Surge prevents sleep (Spore Breloom, anyone?) and compensates the average SpA delivering a solid STAB Thunderbold dealing with (or weakening) bulky water and flying types, VSwitch is used to create a setup window. HP-Ice is the key element on the Shuca Berry set, the combination of them deals with Land-T, Gliscor and Zygarde and is one of the reasons why I stayed with Azelf over Greninja. Entry hazards aren't much of a problem but it's always nice to have a defogger. Maximum speed is to ensure 2 HP-Ice and the rest goes on SpA to hit hard as possible; playing I didn't feel the need of a more bulkier spread.​
☆彡​
Hawlucha (M) @ Electric Seed​
Ability: Unburden​
Adamant Nature​
- Acrobatics​
- High Jump Kick​
- Swords Dance​
- Roost​
Hawlucha is one of the key parts of the team. HJ-Kick deals very well with problematic steel types and also hits dark (hi Greninja) for 2x, STAB Acrobatics without an item is very powerful and cripples anything that doesn't resist it. Electric Seed boosts Hawlucha defense under Electric Terrain which along with Roost helps it to setup on more defensive mons. Unburden allows Hawlucha to run an Adamant nature (Jolly could be useful to deal with an enemy Hawlucha but I didn't enjoy the power loss).​
☆彡​
Magearna @ Fairium Z​
Ability: Soul-Heart​
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe​
Timid Nature​
IVs: 0 Atk​
- Fleur Cannon​
- Thunderbolt​
- Hidden Power [Fire]​
- Shift Gear​
Magearna was my last addition to the team and the one I'm less sure about. It's supposed to wallbreak and make holes on the enemy team during the midgame, giving Sharpedo an easier time to finish the job later on. Since the team is fast the trick room set isn't very useful and without the bulk, Magearna has to be fast as possible. Even with maximum speed investment, Magearna is still slow so that's why SGear is needed (despite being fragile it has good resistances so it's not that hard to find a window to setup). Thunderbolt is a nice coverage move against water and flying if Tapu Koko is down and HP-Fire is here to deal with Ferrothorn and Scizor mostly. Fleur Cannon hits hard and the SpA drop is diminished by Soul-Heart; Fairium Z allows a 190 BP attack without the SpA drop and it's a nice way to start the Soul-Heart snowball but one must be careful to not waste it.​
☆彡​
Kartana @ Choice Band​
Ability: Beast Boost​
Jolly Nature​
- Leaf Blade​
- Smart Strike​
- Sacred Sword​
- Knock Off​
I was having trouble with bulkier ground types who weren't 4x weak to ice (the rising Gastrodon and the forgotten Swampert) and with fairy types (i.e. other guardians) since Magearna lacks a steel move. Special walls were also problematic (mostly Assault Vest users because Azelf's Knock Off isn't reliable). Well, Kartana does all of it, so I'm surprised I didn't think on it before. Leaf Blade is the strongest STAB, has a higher critical ratio and solves my problem with ground, Smart Strike deals with fairies and nothing much asides from it, Sacred Sword is nice because ignores stat changes and hits what the former two moves can't and at last but not least, KOff removes useful items while doing great damage so it's usually better to lock on it.​
☆彡​
Sharpedo (M) @ Sharpedonite​
Ability: Speed Boost​
Adamant Nature​
- Crunch​
- Psychic Fangs​
- Ice Fang​
- Protect​
My boy Mega Sharpedo: good offensive type, two amazing abilities, great attack and excelent movepool. But it isn't perfect, far from that, Sharpedo will get OHKOed by almost anything that hits it and relies on Speed Boost to outspeed the meta. Protect ensures a +1 on speed before mega evolving (you can get +2 if facing a slower and weakened opponent, but be careful). Crunch is the STAB move of choice, hits with 120 BP after Strong Jaw and can lower the foe's defense, Psychic Fangs with Strong Jaw has 127 BP, sinergies well with Crunch and hits Toxapex and Venusaur super effectively. The choice for the last slot here is Ice Fang that gets the Strong Jaw boost (97 BP) and because sometimes Tapu Koko's HP-Ice just isn't enough. Max EVs on speed to take advantage of his vanilla abiliy and Adamant nature to hit as hard as possible.​
☆彡​

POSTFACE

Well, first of all I'd like to say that my original idea was to build a team arround the newest pokémon, Zeraora. However, after playing with it a little I realized Zeraora itself was the team's weakest link so I went for a revamp. From the original 6 Azelf, Tapu Koko, Hawlucha and Sharpedo pleased me and stayed. I think that the team is beyond my 1500 ELO, since I got outplayed in most of my losses but I also think that the team has room for improvement.​
Currently I'm not satisfied with Magearna, I think maybe Heatran would do better but I'm not sure on what set I should run.​
Tapu Koko is another big question mark for me. I mean, it gets the job done but perhaps I should try another guardian. Tapu Lele seems very good on paper, boosting Sharpedo's Psychic Fangs even more and protecting against priority moves that ignore my faster mons. Trading Hawlucha's defense boost for a SpD boost doesn't please me that much tho, what do you guys think of it and what changes should I make to settle it?​
I'm not 100% about Kartana's nature either, should I stick with Adamant or try Jolly?​
I'd like to read and try out any other suggestions you might have. Thanks in advance, feel free to use the team and please forgive any English mistakes.​

Azelf @ Focus Sash
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Explosion
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt

Tapu Koko @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Hawlucha (M) @ Electric Seed
Ability: Unburden
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- High Jump Kick
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Magearna @ Fairium Z
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fleur Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Shift Gear

Kartana @ Choice Band
Ability: Beast Boost
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Smart Strike
- Sacred Sword
- Knock Off

Sharpedo (M) @ Sharpedonite
Ability: Speed Boost
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Psychic Fangs
- Ice Fang
- Protect

Last edited:
Hey ur team is very good! I try a team for a while and reach to 1600 very soon. While using the team I found out some problem:

#With team preview, ur opponent realise aze is lead and has good method to deal with. So that I recommend mew>azelf. Here is the set:

Mew @ Focus Sash
Timid/Naive Nature
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 Spe or 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast/Aura sphere/Explosion

Trading a little speed, mew still outspeed lando/excadrill which is popular lead now and mew is a better answer for loppuny, medicham. In many matchup, I chose aze as lead they sent out medi/loppuny fake out then HJK/return aze couldnt do anything. Mew is different, its bulk help this nice mon survive those thing. Moreover, many people lead with lando, ice beam hit them hard. Maximum spattk evs just make sure it ohko lando. Focus Blast/Aura sphere for tyran who want to pursuit a big surprise. But if u use explosion set max atk evs instead.

#In some matchup zapdos and m- scizor is so annoying. They is bulky enough to tank a hit then roost and roost. Hawlucha and Kartana completely wall by zapdos. Zapdos also tank sharpedo a hit then OHKO back with discharge. Magearna sometime absord hawlucha hjk the ohko back with thunderbolt or fairy cannon (i dont remember the name). Then she completely wall the team.

Currently I'm not satisfied with Magearna, I think maybe Heatran would do better but I'm not sure on what set I should run.
I totally agree with u about heatran>magearna. The set:

Heatran @ Firium Z
Timid Nature
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Toxic
- Taunt

Magma Storm trapping damage for more chip damage althought the target resist fire, weaken the mon for dealing easily in future. This set also help u dealing with stall better.

Hope this help u improve the team and ladder. Good luck

p/s: I think spec koko is better shuca one in HO team. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips man, they were really helpful.

Trading a little speed, mew still outspeed lando/excadrill which is popular lead now and mew is a better answer for loppuny, medicham. In many matchup, I chose aze as lead they sent out medi/loppuny fake out then HJK/return aze couldnt do anything. Mew is different, its bulk help this nice mon survive those thing. Moreover, many people lead with lando, ice beam hit them hard. Maximum spattk evs just make sure it ohko lando. Focus Blast/Aura sphere for tyran who want to pursuit a big surprise. But if u use explosion set max atk evs instead.
I really had trouble with Fake Out leads indeed and Mew helps a lot now. I'm using max SpA with Timid nature. I gave up on Explosion because this set seems way more useful, Aura Sphere does incredbly well against Taunt Greninja and Pursuit trappers like you said.

In some matchup zapdos and m- scizor is so annoying. They is bulky enough to tank a hit then roost and roost. Hawlucha and Kartana completely wall by zapdos. Zapdos also tank sharpedo a hit then OHKO back with discharge. Magearna sometime absord hawlucha hjk the ohko back with thunderbolt or fairy cannon (i dont remember the name). Then she completely wall the team.
Zapdos was another weakness I forgot to mention and the Heatran set is really very nice against it and some other things.

p/s: I think spec koko is better shuca one in HO team. Just my opinion.
I can see your point here, but wouldn't this make me too weak to ground? Also, what do you think about Life Orb + Roost (replacing Defog)?

In my opinion, tapu koko is too fragile, if use roost, u must put some evs in the bulk (or calm mind), otherwise roost is useless. LO is quiet ok but I prefer zap plate, less power but dont cost HP.

You might also like to consider a dual screens set on Tapu Koko, because running Reflect and Light Screen would allow your other mons to set up with ease once you pivot out with Tapu Koko.

Tapu Koko @ Light Clay
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- U-Turn

This set grants your whole team more survivability and slotting in U-turn allows Koko to pivot out reliably on more targets. Taunt can allow Koko to set up the screens more easily and prevent others from removing the screens with Defog or setting up hazards.

If you want to run Defog still you can slot it in on Kartana if you'd like, you just need to note that you would be risking removing your screens with it. A Swords Dance set with a Z move could do a good job at this, because you could cut something like Smart Strike or Knock Off from the standard set listed here on smogon to fit Defog if you would like.

Kartana @ Fightnium Z / Grassium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Knock Off / Smart Strike / Defog

I honestly love your list, and I want to try out something really similar with the mons you use. I really just listed the immediate changes I would make for testing. Alolan Ninetales is also an incredible Aurora Veil setter which does the same job as Dual Screens but you would be losing the Tapu Koko / Hawlucha core which I think is incredibly necessary to keep on this team. I'm a bit iffy about Magearna in this team, but I think an offensive Heatran set would be effective in place of it. Hope this helps!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)