"The Backwards Difficulty Phenomenon" (title pending)

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
Lately I've been having a rough time trying to get myself to et back into playing some of my older Pokémon games, and for the longest time I didn't understand why. I think I've found at least part of the answer to that question, but for now, I want to ask you all a question. Have you ever been playing through a Pokémon game and felt like the game was actually getting easier as you went along instead of harder?

Time and time again we hear fans say that they wish the core series Pokémon games were more challenging, or at the very least wish the developers would bring back some of the more challenging postgame content featured in older installments. I've never really been too much of a fan of things like the Battle Frontier in either of its iterations, but I can definitely respect the appeal such features bring for players who correlate challenge in their video games with how fun they can be. That being said, I think it's worth taking a look at why the difficulty progression in Pokémon can sometimes feel a bit... off sometimes, and who knows? Maybe if you're all interested, we can turn this into another cool discussion thread once I think of a proper thread title.

The game design pattern I would like to discuss in this thread is something I like to call the backwards difficulty phenomenon. As the name implies, this is when the difficulty progression of a game evolves in the backwards order of what the player should expect to see. In the case of core series Pokémon games, you (the player) would think that the later parts of the game should get progressively more challenging, as the levels of wild Pokémon and other Trainer's teams start to increase and the amount of Pokémon available to battle in the game also increases with each new area. Sounds like perfectly reasonable logic, right? Well... apparently not if I'm tempted to make an entire thread hoping to ask for other people's opinions on how much of a big fat lie this is.

I'd like to start this thread's (hopeful) discussion off with some pretty simple data science. Let's say you have these four Pikachu in your party:

:bw/pikachu: :bw/pikachu: :bw/pikachu: :bw/pikachu:

In this example, let's assume that each your Pikachu are a level that is a multiple of 10. You lowest leveled Pikachu is Lv. 10, followed by one that's Lv. 20, then one that's Lv. 30, and finally your highest leveled Pikachu is Lv. 40. Let's also assume for the purpose of RNG that all of your Pikachu have no EVs and have 31 IVs in all six of their stat categories. Numerically, since the level disparity between each of your Pikachu is set at 10 for each new Pikachu added to this test, you would expect the gap in strength between each newly added Pikachu to be the same, right? Or at least close to it? Well, due to how Pokemon's stats work in relation to their level, most people who have played a Pokémon game can tell you why this is isn't the case. Since Pokémon gain a finite integer of points in each of their stat categories when they level up, the amount of which depends mostly on the Pokémon's base stat values, the disparity in strength between lower leveled Pokémon ends up being much greater than the disparity in strength between higher levelled Pokémon.

The stats of your four Pikachu should be as follows if you use the same EV and IV values I listed at the beginning of the previous section. For this list, the stat numbers are written in the order of: HP, Attack, Defense, Special Attack, Special Defense, Speed.

Level 10 Pika: 30, 19, 16, 18, 18, 26
Level 20 Pika: 50, 33, 27, 31, 31, 47
Level 30 Pika: 70, 47, 38, 44, 44, 68
Level 40 Pika: 90, 61, 49, 57, 57, 89

"But wait", you ask. "Isn't this what Experience Points are for? To make it so it takes longer to level up later in the game?" Well, yeah... except for the part where the amount of experience points granted by stronger Pokémon later in the game didn't also scale with the Pokémon's level as well as its base experience yield, which can be as high as 255 in most games. At least for me, what this does is re-distribute the amount of time and effort needed to train up your Pokémon as the game progresses. In the early sections of the game, when your Pokémon have lower levels, stats, and weaker moves, the slower pace of the beginning of the game is compensated for by the lower amount of Exp. Points needed to level up your party members. Later in the game, this philosophy starts to flip, with the overall power level feeling stronger but requiring more Exp. Points to level up your team.

This is where the problem starts to become apparent, and makes my last point worth mentioning- the availability of the Pokémon themselves. The beginning of a playthrough can often feel somewhat sluggish not only because of the lower power levels, but also because there a smaller quantity Pokémon available to raise early on, the ones that are available generally having lower base stat values than Pokémon found later in the game. As you continue to play, however, the game's actual pace of training becomes faster, while the power disparity between the Pokémon available at this point in the game to both the player and to any NPCs remains constant because of the Exp. Points bit I mentioned earlier. You might need tens of thousands of Exp. Points to, say, reach Lv. 80 when you're currently at Lv. 79, but at Lv. 79 it's much easier to find opportunities to actually gain those Exp. Points because of the end-game's much faster pace and the increased availability of Pokémon to train against than if you take that same example but decrease the level examples to, say, Lv. 39 to Lv. 40.

I’m sorry this OP is so long compared to my usual posts, and I do understand if this feels like a lot of information to take in. I'm mainly just interested to find out if it's really just me who feels that core series Pokémon has backwards difficulty progression, or if I'm not alone in thinking this. As far as earning challenging victories are concerned, I personally believe all of the core series games, especially the newer ones, would feel infinitely more rewarding to play through if a solution were to be found to this. that's just my opinion, though. Feel free to let me know what you all think as we hopefully turn this into a discussion thread worth revisiting from time to time. Until next time, take care, and have fun training hard. Peace :-)

Last edited:
I’ll be honest: your post is difficult to digest. Unless I’m missing something, your Pikachu example feels very confusing and I’m not sure what point you’re trying to make after reading through it a few times. I think a more grounded example of simply describing a playthrough where things felt harder early game and easier late game might be a better place to start here if you want to argue some Pokémon games ramp down in difficulty rather than up. That gives people a way more tangible thing to analyze rather than what you’re trying to convey with Pikachus.

Last edited:

bdt2002

is a Pre-Contributor
I’ll be honest: your post is difficult to digest. Unless I’m missing something, your Pikachu example feels very confusing and I’m not sure what point you’re trying to make after reading through it a few times. I think a more grounded example of simply describing a playthrough where things felt harder early game and easier late game might be a better place to start here if you want to argue some Pokémon games ramp down in difficulty rather than up. That gives people a way more tangible thing to analyze rather than what you’re trying to convey with Pilachus.
Yeah, honestly, that’s pretty fair. I tend to prefer to heavy analytical kind of approach with these topics, but I’ll let you all know if or when I come with something a bit easier to understand.

I’ll be honest: your post is difficult to digest. Unless I’m missing something, your Pikachu example feels very confusing and I’m not sure what point you’re trying to make after reading through it a few times. I think a more grounded example of simply describing a playthrough where things felt harder early game and easier late game might be a better place to start here if you want to argue some Pokémon games ramp down in difficulty rather than up. That gives people a way more tangible thing to analyze rather than what you’re trying to convey with Pilachus.
And if that is meant to be the argument it's also not one that only applies to Pokemon; often the early-to-mid game in various games can be harder than the mid-to-late game, out side of a specific spike here or there, just because of the options on deck. Early game generally has fewer options available, you're significantly weaker so bigger swings in power on the opponent's side goes a lot further, you haven't had the time to really build up items or stats, you're still learning the ropes of how the game works, etc. But eventually the game open up enough that you can handle just about everything because you're significantly stronger, you have half the game's options avialable to you, you probably have a bunch of new systems in play, etc.

To just go into some none Pokemon examples...Persona 4 has a lot of people complain about someone like Shadow Yukiko (one of the early game bosses) and that dungeon in general but while the later bosses can still be a challenge, at the same time significantly fewer people complain about them because you just have more levels, a better understanding of the systems, more systems at your disposal, more party members, more personas, and so on.
SMT4's Minotaur boss is an utter nightmare, Medusa is also not very nice, but unless a boss just has some skills where it decides you lose the game by the time you reach Lucifer or Merkabah you're going to have a full stock of like 16 levl 80-99 demons with a bunch of useful very strong skills, some back up items to get you out of jams, and a suite of terminal skills to assist even further. Maybe not a cake walk, but probably feels a lot easier and manageable than Bufu & Pray.
Various Zelda titles can take a while to give you safety nets so you might have more problems with idk Gohma in OoT or Ghiarhim in SS when you have like 3 hearts, barely any alternatives in your back pocket and no fairies as opposed to some of the last dungeons where you've got more skills at your disposal, way more hearts to tank damage, fairies to revive you, experience with the game's swordplay, and so on.
Start of Pikmin 3: one captain, barely any pikmin, no subskills, limited juice. End of Pikmin 3: 5 pikmin of assorted flavors with counts well over 100 each, 3 captains, full suite of skills, sprays. The environmental puzzles might take time but unless it brings in a notable new gimmick you have all the resources necessary to pretty easily clean things out once you've gotten your bearings.
The first 5 or so chapters of a given Fire Emblem game are gonna be harder than the next 20 since you barely have any characters, you're still adjusting to the AI, you probably dont have your get out of jail tools, etc.
Personally I found the start of stuff like Bayonetta or Wonderful101 much harder than their mid & end games; the bosses might get gimickier and the enemies more in abundance but it was mostly a factor of needing more weapons, time with how the system works and also the skills to like. Dodge.

This is likely gonna crop up more in RPGs but even adventure, platformers, rtses,action games, etc can run into the same design quirk. Not everything can get harder in the same way nonstop.

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
And if that is meant to be the argument it's also not one that only applies to Pokemon; often the early-to-mid game in various games can be harder than the mid-to-late game, out side of a specific spike here or there, just because of the options on deck. Early game generally has fewer options available, you're significantly weaker so bigger swings in power on the opponent's side goes a lot further, you haven't had the time to really build up items or stats, you're still learning the ropes of how the game works, etc. But eventually the game open up enough that you can handle just about everything because you're significantly stronger, you have half the game's options avialable to you, you probably have a bunch of new systems in play, etc.

To just go into some none Pokemon examples...Persona 4 has a lot of people complain about someone like Shadow Yukiko (one of the early game bosses) and that dungeon in general but while the later bosses can still be a challenge, at the same time significantly fewer people complain about them because you just have more levels, a better understanding of the systems, more systems at your disposal, more party members, more personas, and so on.
SMT4's Minotaur boss is an utter nightmare, Medusa is also not very nice, but unless a boss just has some skills where it decides you lose the game by the time you reach Lucifer or Merkabah you're going to have a full stock of like 16 levl 80-99 demons with a bunch of useful very strong skills, some back up items to get you out of jams, and a suite of terminal skills to assist even further. Maybe not a cake walk, but probably feels a lot easier and manageable than Bufu & Pray.
Various Zelda titles can take a while to give you safety nets so you might have more problems with idk Gohma in OoT or Ghiarhim in SS when you have like 3 hearts, barely any alternatives in your back pocket and no fairies as opposed to some of the last dungeons where you've got more skills at your disposal, way more hearts to tank damage, fairies to revive you, experience with the game's swordplay, and so on.
Start of Pikmin 3: one captain, barely any pikmin, no subskills, limited juice. End of Pikmin 3: 5 pikmin of assorted flavors with counts well over 100 each, 3 captains, full suite of skills, sprays. The environmental puzzles might take time but unless it brings in a notable new gimmick you have all the resources necessary to pretty easily clean things out once you've gotten your bearings.
The first 5 or so chapters of a given Fire Emblem game are gonna be harder than the next 20 since you barely have any characters, you're still adjusting to the AI, you probably dont have your get out of jail tools, etc.
Personally I found the start of stuff like Bayonetta or Wonderful101 much harder than their mid & end games; the bosses might get gimickier and the enemies more in abundance but it was mostly a factor of needing more weapons, time with how the system works and also the skills to like. Dodge.

This is likely gonna crop up more in RPGs but even adventure, platformers, rtses,action games, etc can run into the same design quirk. Not everything can get harder in the same way nonstop.
Yeah I mean people complain about the difficulty of some early bosses in Pokemon e.g Whitney’s Miltank, but generally the game is easier later, for better or worse. They’ve tried to make it harder e.g Ultra Necrozma and Eternamax Eternatus battles but then people complain about them specifically artificially increasing the difficulty. Especially now moving into this more open world format it looks like they’ll have to do more of that, otherwise they just won’t be that hard (remeber they still MAINLY need to cater to their younger players and key demographic). People like us for example, are no doubt annoyed by battles like the Miraidon boss battle where we couldn’t lose, whereas the kids will probably like that. Ideally we’d have a challenge mode similarish to Gen V but I doubt very much we’ll get that ever again. Basically, if you really want late game difficulty (and even early game with this recent format) you’re going to need to do self imposed challenges.

People like us for example, are no doubt annoyed by battles like the Miraidon boss battle where we couldn’t lose, whereas the kids will probably like that.
Thing is, the Koraidon/Miraidon battle is the "final" battle only because its the last battle of the story. The AI professors are the true final battle. The legendary fight is more of a victory lap. The same thing can be said for May/Brendan in ORAS and Tapu Koko in the Alolan games.

As for example of Pokemon early game difficulty, Mars in Valley Windworks is the main example in Sinnoh games. Unless you trained a rock type or have an overleveled starter, it will take out some of your Pokemon.

Last edited:

Testinggg

Banned deucer.
I think the important thing to remember is that the games are under your control.

I remember playing RBY, and the fact that you had to bring HM Pokémon, with useless moves like Flash, into the Rock Tunnel limited your options: 1. Pokémon in your party needed to be able to learn the move, 2. That Pokémon now had a handicap of 1 less useful move. 3. HM moves are permanent.

If someone used an HM on their starter, such as Flash on Pikachu in Yellow, now they are worse off for training it for the rest of the game.

The same can be said for Cut, being nearly useless on Venusaur / Charizard.

I think a simply analogy of the game being hard in the beginning is similar to the game difficulty in picking your starter:
Hard - Charmander
Medium - Squirtle
Easy: Bulbasaur

Your options are limited to a free hand-out.

I think in the end-game, the E4 are harder than the early game, Bc you cannot use the PokeCenter for healing or swapping Pokémon.

Using a Revive or Max Potion costs a turn, and if you lose a Pokémon reviving another, you now have the opportunity cost of losing a potentially healthy Pokémon, for a 1/2 health ally revival.

Depending on the game you play, the E4 can be tricky.

And depending on how you play, such as your team, if you give yourself handicaps, etc. the game may get harder too.

I think the important thing to remember is that the games are under your control.
I think a simply analogy of the game being hard in the beginning is similar to the game difficulty in picking your starter:
Hard - Charmander
Medium - Squirtle
I'm sorry but I can't agree with this

It's not as if any of the games tell you which of your options are harder and which are easier
the players shouldn't have to use self imposed challenges in order to adjust a game's difficulty, much less knowledge from outside the games

this has nothing to do with the Early Game Hell phenomena this thread refers to

but nonetheless, we shouldn't excuse a game developer's failure in not giving their customers difficulty options just because "you can make it yourself"

Last edited:

Testinggg

Banned deucer.
I'm sorry but I can't agree with this

It's not as if any of the games tell you which of your options are harder and which are easier
the players shouldn't have to use self imposed challenges in order to adjust a game's difficulty, much less knowledge from outside the games

this has nothing t do with the Early Game Hell phenomena this thread refers to

but nonetheless, we shouldn't excuse a game developer's failure in not giving their customers difficulty options just because "you can make it yourself"
Trope
  • Lack of experience with the game mechanics
The games come with a guide, do they not?

In that guide, it provides a type chart, as well as information that highlights the type the gym leader is, correct?

Simply knowing that the first 2 gyms have a type > Charmander’s type, etc. makes it obvious to the player which is harder.

Also, doesn’t the map in the newer games tell you the gym type?

IMG_6089.jpeg

Mind you, this is assuming the player is brand new and doesn’t have experience from playing other games, and therefore, even as a new player, the information is readily available.

Also, my first post does cover the Tropes you linked to:
  • Lack of resources (skills, money, equipment, party members, etc.).
  • Lack of opportunities to Level Grind.
I remember playing RBY, and the fact that you had to bring HM Pokémon, with useless moves like Flash, into the Rock Tunnel limited your options: 1. Pokémon in your party needed to be able to learn the move, 2. That Pokémon now had a handicap of 1 less useful move. 3. HM moves are permanent.

If someone used an HM on their starter, such as Flash on Pikachu in Yellow, now they are worse off for training it for the rest of the game.
IPicking your starter:

Hard - Charmander
Medium - Squirtle
Your options are limited to a free hand-out.
Since your starter doesn’t get to level, as it is given to you at a base level, it’s clear your party and it’s leveling is limited to your starter’s effectiveness to win in battle.
As for the last trope, it depends on the game: Mega, Z-moves, etc. being earned as your progress, or I guess universally new TM moves.

But this can be a non-issue in the early games like RBY because you can evolve fairly quickly, and learn new moves as you level up.

For example, Bulbasaur learns Razor Leaf pretty quickly, an end-game move in Gen 1 due to critical hit mechanics.

It also has nice healing via Leech Seed.

Squirtle gets huge TM Move boosts from learning Bubble Beam and Dig before exiting Cerulean City, greatly bolstering its offense even against the next Gym, Bc Dig hits Electric-types, one of the types it is weak to, super effectively.

Let me know if I missed anything.

Last edited:

bdt2002

is a Pre-Contributor
Hey guys. Just wanted to take a moment before I got some lunch to say thanks for the feedback up to this point. I recently started trying to play through my copy of Pokémon White again, part of my reason for doing so being so I could try and test out some of these things I’ve been reading. BW in particular is also notable as this is the game where the famous early-game Tackle was buffed to 50 BP and 100% accuracy. I distinctly remember trying to train up a Patrat on Route 1 only to get stomped by a Lillipup that landed a critical hit on me at -2 Defense (For the purpose of this playthrough, I was using Nuzlocke encounter rules). Yeah I probably could have switch trained instead (skill issue I know), but I didn’t think about it at the time since I wanted to try and maintain a level cap.

Why do I mention this story? Because this kind of jank rarely happens, if ever, once the player has access to a more constructed team. Turns out that stat-lowering moves in the earlygame can have some RNG issues when wild Pokémon have a 50/50 shot of rolling either an attacking move or a stat lowering move in the first freaking route of the game. Or maybe this is just a Nuzlocke problem? I’m not very educated on this stuff.

Let me know if I missed anything.
OK

The games come with a guide, do they not?
No they don't
sure you can buy a guide separately from the game but that's the thing, it's separate from the game, it's like excising the Switch's Joy Cons tendency to break by saying "you can just buy 3rd party ones"
that's just justifying a company's bad practices

and no, Paldea showing where the Gym Leaders are doesn't fix the difficulty issue since it doesn't tell you what levels those Gym Leaders are

Also, my first post does cover the Tropes you linked to:
Oh, and you missed me saying this
this has nothing to do with the Early Game Hell phenomena this thread refers to

point being, my objection has little to do with the greater argument of the thread, it's a specific objection to the idea that "it's okay just fix the game difficulty yourself"
the players shouldn't have to spend their time balancing the difficulty for a game they purchased, that's the developer's job
it's a bad thing when games don't give clear difficulty options
don't make excuses for bad developer practices

Testinggg

Banned deucer.
OK

No they don't
sure you can buy a guide separately from the game but that's the thing, it's separate from the game, it's like excising the Switch's Joy Cons tendency to break by saying "you can just buy 3rd party ones"
that's just justifying a company's bad practices

and no, Paldea showing where the Gym Leaders are doesn't fix the difficulty issue since it doesn't tell you what levels those Gym Leaders are

Oh, and you missed me saying this

point being, my objection has little to do with the greater argument of the thread, it's a specific objection to the idea that "it's okay just fix the game difficulty yourself"
the players shouldn't have to spend their time balancing the difficulty for a game they purchased, that's the developer's job
it's a bad thing when games don't give clear difficulty options
don't make excuses for bad developer practices
Actually the games DO come with a guide. I remember actually getting it with the game.

So that is wrong. It’s the guide that is included in the physical purchase, in RBY it came with a Brown booklet that describes the entire game. The type chart, the characters like gym leaders, etc.

You must have been thinking of strategy guide game releases from Nintendo or Prima publishings that were not what I was describing, what I am referring to is how every physical purchase from a game comes with a booklet so players know how to play the game and the mechanics.

This includes type charts, etc.
—————
For Paldea, you don’t need to focus on the level as much as you can focus on typing. With Tera changing type, you can literally become a type immune to the type they specialize in.

They have an Electric type? Great, use Ground Tera. Now Electric is completely useless on you.

Yes, the opponent can use a coverage move, but it’s not like the prior generation where you were stuck with the types they originally were.

In other games, if you didn’t know the gym type that could take precedence over levels because if you brought a Pokémon that was weak and did ineffective damage against an opponent, you were screwed.

Even in Generation 1, you could choose to face Koga before you faced Sabrina, giving you a choice but without knowing which type they were as easily as Paldea.
——————
No, I didn’t. In covering your tropes from that link, I also covered the part you thought I skipped.

What I am saying is: People have guides that explain the game, mechanics, which makes the game easier.

Reading it gives info like Type Charts, which provides insight in what starter you want, and even advertising for the game prior to release or the anime provides a heads up on the Gym leaders.

Point is: Players can choose what Pokémon to catch during their journey, and that can significantly impact how easy it is to progress through the game.

Many hints and downright facts are provided to the player by NPCs detailing what the player needs to know to progress.

At that point the player will need to progress using that info or ignoring it.

And since the developers provided that info in the game, and the come-with-purchase booklet, they have done their part already.
——
Lastly, in any game where growing your party is up to the player, where their moves, typing, abilities, items, etc. impact s battle: The idea of balancing is always put on the player not the developer.

“the players shouldn't have to spend their time balancing the difficulty for a game they purchased, that's the developer's job”

No, the whole concept of Pokémon is build out your team, as you wish, and Tera expands that by breaking the rules of being stuck with original typing.

This is not like Final Fantasy where a predetermined character joins your party, during storyline arcs, and going down a linear path.

Pokémon games are about the player’s choices, not a pre-set environment. And that’s why it’s so fun to play.

Last edited:

KaenSoul

Shared:Power Little Knight
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Community Leader
The games are quite easy anyway, a lot of people see challenge runs as the only way to play them after all, as depending on the way you approach them it will be different degrees of easy if you don't add rules that can be summarized as "going out of your way to make the game harder", if you just use the tools the game gives you most of them can be beat by mashing A with just your starter, fodder and items.
At that point, only the early game can be difficult, as you still don't have access to good items or money, and depending on the game your starter or whatever mon you are spamming may not be overleveled until the third gym, so you have to still worry about what you are fighting until then.
And even if you instead have a balanced team of 6, you will still have a quite easy time if you don't add any rules.
At the end of the day you are in control of what buttons you press, mainline Pokémon games are easy, that's just a fact, you can add difficulty to it by following rules and that's fine if that makes it more fun to you, but you have to accept that the game is so easy that you have to nerf yourself to not win too hard.
The only places where this doesn't apply are battle facilities that limit what you can do, like the Battle Tower and friends, as those are often actual challenges, not always as there are also some like the one in Gen 8 where you could just choose to use Zacian-C and other insane mons on top of Dynamax when the Ai isn't given the same tools.

Actually the games DO come with a guide. I remember actually getting it with the game.

So that is wrong. It’s the guide that is included in the physical purchase, in RBY it came with a Brown booklet that describes the entire game. The type chart, the characters like gym leaders, etc.
Ladies & gentlemen we found a time traveler, possibly cryogenically frozen

look I don't if you're being intentionally obtuse or not but this is going nowhere so if for some godforsaken reason you still wanna argue with me that Pokemon difficulty is totally fine take it to PMs
better yet don't

anyhow, while the specific phenomenon of limited options making the early game harder applies to many a game, Pokemon compounds the issue by outright refusing to have the AI use some of the options given to it, from using limited team sizes to refusing to its give pokemon held items the AI gets stuck with far far less options than the player has, and that's not counting the options only the player has like freaking revives

Testinggg

Banned deucer.
Ladies & gentlemen we found a time traveler, possibly cryogenically frozen

look I don't if you're being intentionally obtuse or not but this is going nowhere so if for some godforsaken reason you still wanna argue with me that Pokemon difficulty is totally fine take it to PMs
better yet don't

anyhow, while the specific phenomenon of limited options making the early game harder applies to many a game, Pokemon compounds the issue by outright refusing to have the AI use some of the options given to it, from using limited team sizes to refusing to its give pokemon held items the AI gets stuck with far far less options than the player has, and that's not counting the options only the player has like freaking revives
I think you could have just not responded, instead you literally wanted to have the last word. You can have the last word via PM, as I don’t think I would even respond.

But here… you quoted me and attempt to close the topic — then you literally reopen it in the next paragraph?

And I recall the E4 definitely using Revives, and Potions during battles… so I think maybe you weren’t prepared to make that your point Bc you seem to ignore the fact that they do use items…

And let’s not talk about battle mechanics when developers didn’t need to make Gym Leaders have 6 Pokémon to pose a challenge to players.

Whitney is a popular example of a Gym Leader that used the famed Rollout mechanic to defeat her opponents. She only had 2 Pokémon, but she is still known as one of the hardest gym leaders of the game franchise…

She wasn’t the 1st or 2nd Gym Leader either, so she wasn’t just an example of “it’s too early in the game” difficulty.

Sabrina is another example, and no matter how much you grind your Venusaur, her Alakazam will outspeed your naturally slower Pokémon, deal a super effective Psychic and won’t live to respond with its own moves…

Like I said before, typing is > leveling.

And if you know Pokémon, you know that is the core mechanic of the franchise, guide or not…

If you find the beginning difficult, maybe it’s because you are not optimizing your party.

If anything, Gym Leaders are more limited in the beginning, as they use weaker moves, and are severely limited to sometimes just 2 Pokemon, while you can catch 6.

The game gets harder to the point it necessitates item uses like Revives, and that is also expected as harder trainers pack more Pokémon as mid-late game proves more difficult.

Not having Revives in the early game is indicative you don’t need to expect being defeated as easily as the late game challenges like the E4, where you cannot just use a Pokémon Center between matches.

You don’t need to give yourself customized challenges, you simply need to understand the game, and what Pokémon to catch.

No matter how hard you grind to win in the beginning, if they use a Pokémon that isn’t affected by your attacks, the leveling accomplished nothing.

Last edited:

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think you could have just not responded, instead you literally wanted to have the last word. You can have the last word via PM, as I don’t think I would even respond.

But here… you quoted me and attempt to close the topic — then you literally reopen it in the next paragraph?

And I recall the E4 definitely using Revives, and Potions during battles… so I think maybe you weren’t prepared to make that your point Bc you seem to ignore the fact that they do use items…

And let’s not talk about battle mechanics when developers didn’t need to make Gym Leaders have 6 Pokémon to pose a challenge to players.

Whitney is a popular example of a Gym Leader that used the famed Rollout mechanic to defeat her opponents. She only had 2 Pokémon, but she is still known as one of the hardest gym leaders of the game franchise…

She wasn’t the 1st or 2nd Gym Leader either, so she wasn’t just an example of “it’s too early in the game” difficulty.

Sabrina is another example, and no matter how much you grind your Venusaur, her Alakazam will outspeed your naturally slower Pokémon, deal a super effective Psychic and won’t live to respond with its own moves…

Like I said before, typing is > leveling.

And if you know Pokémon, you know that is the core mechanic of the franchise, guide or not…

If you find the beginning difficult, maybe it’s because you are not optimizing your party.

If anything, Gym Leaders are more limited in the beginning, as they use weaker moves, and are severely limited to sometimes just 2 Pokemon, while you can catch 6.

The game gets harder to the point it necessitates item uses like Revives, and that is also expected as harder trainers pack more Pokémon as mid-late game proves more difficult.

Not having Revives in the early game is indicative you don’t need to expect being defeated as easily as the late game challenges like the E4, where you cannot just use a Pokémon Center between matches.

You don’t need to give yourself customized challenges, you simply need to understand the game, and what Pokémon to catch.

No matter how hard you grind to win in the beginning, if they use a Pokémon that isn’t affected by your attacks, the leveling accomplished nothing.
Not to get into the middle of your little squabble but I’m 99.9% sure no ingame trainer has ever used Revives. E4 does use Max Potions or Full Restores iirc.

Testinggg

Banned deucer.
Not to get into the middle of your little squabble but I’m 99.9% sure no ingame trainer has ever used Revives. E4 does use Max Potions or Full Restores iirc.
Even in Gen 6, the 1st gym leader uses a potion in Kalos: Viola.
——
Omega Ruby / Sapphire:

https://www.pokeballinsider.com/pokemon-omega-ruby-alpha-sapphire/gym-leaders/

Describes their potion supply.

BW Gen 5 Gym Leaders/E4 Items:
http://thepikaclub.co.uk/wp/game-guides/blackwhite/gym-leaders-and-elite-4/

Even non-Gym Leaders / E4 occasionally use them.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)