The dumbest coverage moves you've died to in-game (primarily on random mooks)?

Well, in pla I was checking a rhyhorn outbreak when, in the middle of them I saw an alpha rhydon. I decided this could be a good chance to level up my underleveled tangrowth (after finishing the post game I decided to switch around my teammates from time to time).

After taking them from the back, I immediately noticed they were faster than them and tangrowth couldn't ohko with energy ball, but I didn't worry too much. After all, it's not like rhydon could easily break past tang's high-

1683080683068.png

STRONG STYLE FLAMETHROWER (non related pic to illustrate the event)

Needless to say, I learned not to try and take overleveled alphas ._.

Norman's Slaking had an incorrect moveset on Bulbapedia which killed a fair few inexperienced Nuzlockers when he wiped their ghost with Faint Attack. Never happened to me, but it was one of those bits of knowledge that got passed around if you posted about a RS Nuzlocke in the right places, "Watch out for Norman, Bulbapedia lies about his moves".

Jaiden Animations on youtube lost her Quagsire in her Platinum nuzlocke because one of the Golbat in the Mars/Jupiter double battle on Mt Coronet has Giga Drain.
Even Pokemon Challenges was suprised by that one, although he did note that Giga Drain needed to crit to kill.

I haven't really had this experience myself, but Jaiden Animations lost her Nuzleaf in her Ruby nuzlocke while training against a Zigzagoon which had Pin Missile.

I still distinctly remind back when USUM released getting very hyped at the idea of using super early Alakazam and Gengar...

Only to find out that in that game basically every other trainer has Bite, Crunch or similar dark coverage.
Why do you hate me.

Still in USUM and actually showcasing my only actual whiteout...
Imagine having Malamar. Knowing that you can easily eat totem Mimikyu play rough and finish it off since it's at 10% hp after KOing your lead.
And then you see it. LEECH LIFE.

Not only it outsped & kod my Malamar, but also healed to full, and as implied, i also had alakazam in backrow that had no ghost move yet..

I still distinctly remind back when USUM released getting very hyped at the idea of using super early Alakazam and Gengar...

Only to find out that in that game basically every other trainer has Bite, Crunch or similar dark coverage.
Why do you hate me.

Still in USUM and actually showcasing my only actual whiteout...
Imagine having Malamar. Knowing that you can easily eat totem Mimikyu play rough and finish it off since it's at 10% hp after KOing your lead.
And then you see it. LEECH LIFE.

Not only it outsped & kod my Malamar, but also healed to full, and as implied, i also had alakazam in backrow that had no ghost move yet..
That game has some really wacky Bug coverage on bosses (granted you expect Araquanid to have it).

Malamar is a weird fluctuating Pokemon in that game (I've used it twice as it's a personal favorite design). You either do really well with it or they just kinda own the squid in one way or another. Early Foul Play is ridiculous at least.

That game has some really wacky Bug coverage on bosses (granted you expect Araquanid to have it).

Malamar is a weird fluctuating Pokemon in that game (I've used it twice as it's a personal favorite design). You either do really well with it or they just kinda own the squid in one way or another. Early Foul Play is ridiculous at least.
I remember a theory that they were specifically designed to counter Zoroark cheese, because everything that doesn't have Bug coverage has Fighting instead. Which is a bit optimistic about GF's level of planning IMO.

BIG ASHLEY

ashley
is a Community Contributor
i tried grinding my scyther to chuck's gym in gsc, only to get it smacked by a trainer's rock slide machoke
fighting's 2 (pre-fairy) weaknesses mean it's pretty easy for fighting-types to cover their weaknesses -- just slap on stone edge & payback, which most seem to learn, and you're good. even in a post-kalos world, most of them will learn poison jab or iron head for fairies.

now, granted, game freak (or whoever does teambuilding) characteristically drop the ball on the front quite often -- two of bw marshal's physical attackers have grass knot, ffs -- but that's another thread entirely...

fighting's 2 (pre-fairy) weaknesses mean it's pretty easy for fighting-types to cover their weaknesses -- just slap on stone edge & payback, which most seem to learn, and you're good. even in a post-kalos world, most of them will learn poison jab or iron head for fairies.

now, granted, game freak (or whoever does teambuilding) characteristically drop the ball on the front quite often -- two of bw marshal's physical attackers have grass knot, ffs -- but that's another thread entirely...
It's probably game freak, when they decided to outsource BDSP to ILCA the teambuilding... certainly got a lot more creative. And better, for the most part

I remember Rock/Fighting covering each other effectively was one contributor to Terrakion's success in some of his earlier gens.

It's probably game freak, when they decided to outsource BDSP to ILCA the teambuilding... certainly got a lot more creative. And better, for the most part
To be fair there's also a decent span of time between the example given and BDSP remakes. ORAS showed they could put some serious creativity behind trainers like Wally, I think GF simply elects against making fights particularly more difficult than "have SE coverage, harder trainers have more types to Cover" to keep the main game relatively simple to play through. Not to say they haven't had some bizarre design choices but it feels more like they weren't "trying" with a lot of these main game oddities than trying-and-failing

i tried grinding my scyther to chuck's gym in gsc, only to get it smacked by a trainer's rock slide machoke
Coverage on fighting types is pretty standard to expect today with Korrina and BDSP Maylene having Rock Tomb on Machoke and Bea having dark moves across her whole team, but that trainer always stuck out to me because Machoke doesn't even learn Rock Slide in GSC alone (it has to be traded back to Gen 1), so it's not something you would reasonably see coming without outside knowledge, especially when it's just on a random gym trainer and not even Chuck himself.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor

Why do you hate me.
Decidueye faces something similar. Seemingly everything in Alola is equipped to KO it at the most random moments.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)