Walrus The KnightsofSonata I Just Can't Get Enough Cross-server Walrus [Walrein Wins]

19th Place
Submitted by shubaka17
Score: 7.9

Strings Of Light by Yussef Kamaal

It takes a while to see anything other than the drumming as the feature of the song (and even afterwards the drumming competes for that spot), but the initial explosion of that vivid trumpet catches your attention just when you need something to keep it interesting. It does feel like the trumpet was used a little sparingly, though.

16th Place
Submitted by LightWolf
Score: 8.2

Kandou Kyouyuu! by T-Pistonz+KMC

Sometimes it’s awkward for me to get multiple songs by the same artist, because then I’m comparing them against their own work on top of everything else. For one thing, I can’t help but notice these are both the 2nd OP for their respective series. However, Kandou Kyouyuu! has a completely different feel from Maji de Kansha. The horns play a more supporting role here, but the vocals go harder. Both are great, but I think this one just barely squeaks by its series counterpart.

12th Place
Submitted by Isa
Score: 8.6

The National Anthem by Radiohead

With Radiohead, my preference steers more towards OK Computer (and even then I have a hard time deciding whether or not I like it more than Easy Star All-Stars’ Radiodread). But the bassline on this song is unmistakable and comforting, reminding me that there’s more to Thom Yorke’s life than OK Computer. This song does cacophonous in a way that most cacophonies only strive for.

8th Place
Submitted by Aladyyn
Score: 9.0

Ache by No Doubt

Reminds me of the dentist I used to go to. The best thing he ever did for me was giving up and going for an extraction instead of trying to upsell the crowns again. Luckily I have this sweet song to cut the bitterness.

6th Place
Submitted by Morgan
Score: 9.3

All The Lights by Kanye West ft. Rihanna & Kid Cudi

That cello intro is an example of “how to make KoC happy”. Other methods present: harmonizing vocals, exciting percussion, using metaphor and the meter to add nuance to storytelling, and an ego that unashamedly embraces the (literal) fanfare.

5th Place
Submitted by Adam
Score: 9.4

Battery by Aesop Rock

Aesop Rock sometimes sacrifices flow or rhyme for the sake of lyricism. I can hear a little of that at points, but this is pretty tight otherwise. I was expecting that fine poetry to outshine the horn, but instead its presence intertwines with the backing and lyrics in a way that can’t be ignored.

4th Place
Submitted by MyNameIsNothing
Score: 9.5

Number 9 by Moon Hooch

The scenery invoked by the song is crystal clear in my mind. That little white-tiled corner of the subway right next to the stairs… just enough room for two saxophonists and a drum set. People walking by or stopping to listen before realizing the rush crowd is about to come trampling through and hurrying off. The trains keep coming and going and the musicians just keep jamming.

Walrein snags the brass ring in 1st!
RODAN is a brass hat in 2nd!
Lord Gaius gets down to brass tacks in 3rd!

Cat 11, Short! All fullplays! Next week, TBD!

And now for our outro:

Shit, I forgot to change the title. Fixed.

Still working on judging the short songs category. Reveal's gonna happen sometime next week. For the sake of a smooth reveal under time constraints, I will not be doing the thread reveals simultaneously with the live reveal this time. The threads will be updated immediately after the live reveal finishes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)