The MMA/Boxing/Fighting Sports Thread

It's official, Machida and Evans are going to circle each other throwing jabs and counter punches for 5 rounds.

The thing that makes me a huge fanboy of Machida is his variety. He can submit you, knock you out, and play a counter game(similar to Lidell's but better). I really hope he beats Evans. On paper it looks to be a hell of a bout. I don't think anyone will be heavily favored.

Lyoto Machida Unanymous Decision :p
I don't know why I always agree with ths guy. :P It could have something to do with his similar mma knowledge :)

This is playing out pretty well for Rampage even though he has to have surgery on his jaw.

I'm interested to see what kind of gameplan Evans will use and I'm very interested to see how Machida fares on his back.

If Evans doesn't knock him out he'll (Machida) win by UD.

Psst I read somewhere that Machida has never lost a round. I'm interested so if anyone knows please share!

Shiv

mostly harmless
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
yeah machida has never lost a round on any judge's scorecard when his fight has gone the distance (which is all except two times i think).

i really think rashad will end up chasing him around while machida simply sneaks away all the time. machida should take it in a unanimous decision!

is this a title fight though?

yeah machida has never lost a round on any judge's scorecard when his fight has gone the distance (which is all except two times i think).

i really think rashad will end up chasing him around while machida simply sneaks away all the time. machida should take it in a unanimous decision!

is this a title fight though?
Yes, it is a title fight. And winner must defend against Rampage. Rampage is really in the best spot here. Now he doesn't have to fight both Machida and Evans. Instead, they will fight each other and Rampage gets the winner. Then Rampage won't have to hear from the loser of Evans/Machida for quite awhile.

Also, in response to how Machida will do on his back: he's Brazilian, that basically means he was born good at doing BJJ. ;D

I don't see how Evans really poses a threat. Machida proved he could knock out people and deal with people with a lot of KO power. And if he wants to he can do what he does best: counter.

I don't see how Evans really poses a threat. Machida proved he could knock out people and deal with people with a lot of KO power. And if he wants to he can do what he does best: counter.
Lets see how Evans can pose a threat.

Strong wrestling, if he gets hold of Machida, Machida is hitting the deck.

Precise striking, unlike earlier wrestlers (in fact, most wrestlers, because I honestly think the guys who used Wrestling as a primary style adapted the slowest) who didn't have much understanding of Striking, Rashad can actually throw punches with more than just power.

I have a few doubts about Machida's ground game, he's only really fought one person he didn't have a HUGE size advantage on with a good ground game (that person being Tito Ortiz, Sokudoju isn't very good skill wise and BJ Penn was about 30 pounds lighter than him when they fought) and Rashad has dealt with longer reaches than Lyoto (Liddell for instance) - I think it will be a close fight - and possibly a decision because Rashad mostly seems to counter punch when standing too.

In other news it looks like Alistair Overeem is pursuing more kickboxing fights before/if he signs with the UFC - he's fighting Remy Bonjasky (K-1 world GP 2008 champion).

I see Evans vs Machida being a great fight. Machida will have an advantage on the feet with a reach advantage (I believe), crisper striking and great movement, but Rashad's boxing has looked good recently. He also moves well and could be capable of getting close enough to Machida to throw a few strikes, and he has got knockout power so if he catches Machida (a big if, I realise) the fight could be over right then or he could follow up and finish it.

Rashad has great wrestling and great ground and pound (his accuracy against Griffin when he was attempting to finish was amazing). Machida has shown good takedowns and takedown defense (and of course, his style means that Evans may not have many attempts for a takedown). He has also shown that he can submit people on the ground. I may give Evans a slight advantage here.

Both have great camps as well. Machida has the Big and Little Nog and Anderson Silva, but Evans has Greg Jackson. While the Jardine fight showed that Jackson isn't an auto-win, the fight was close and I'm sure the gameplan was very solid.

The only fight of Machida's I can remember having him being potentially outfought was against BJ Penn and even there he did win (he did have a significant size advantage though). If anyone will be able to "figure Machida out", it'll be Greg Jackson. And I see Rashad as the perfect fighter to carry out an anti-Machida gameplan.

So yeah, it should be a good fight. I do see Machida as bing the favourite but I couldn't see myself betting on either guy due to how close this is. Again, due to the closeness I can't really make an accurate prediction but I see either a first round finish from either fighter (Evans catching Machida and finishing the fight form there, Machida catching Evans or Machida taking the fight to the ground/reversing a takedown and getting a submission). If this does happen, I see the fight being close until a really quick finish. This may leave people thinking that the loser could take a potential rematch.

My other prediction is a late 3rd round/4th round finish (TKO from either fighter or a Machida submission). If this happens, I see a very dominant performance from the winning fighter with the loser not being able to mount much of an offense throughout the entire fight.

I don't see how you guys are comparing wrestling to BJJ and saying the wrestler will win or has the advantage.

As for precision, I don't see that as too much of a threat because Machida's counter game somewhat cancels that out to the point where Rashad will have to risk coming in a lot closer to try and hit him. This is where I think Machida will win by TKO. Sooner or later Rashad will get frustrated with Machida being hard to catch and then Rashad will do something out of the game plan and bam: TKO.

I don't see how you guys are comparing wrestling to BJJ and saying the wrestler will win or has the advantage.
Ever seen Don Frye vs Amaury Bitetti?

That was the fight where people realized that good submission defense, strong wrestling and precise striking from top position is extremely useful against bjj (it was also the first time we ever saw Ground and Pound in MMA, stupid Mark Coleman taking credit for what Frye came up with).

I personally don't compare them, but I do think Rashad's wrestling gives him a large advantage if he can get to a position to use it - and what people seem to forget is that Rashad mostly plays a counter game while standing too.

Haha, it really depends on who is better at what. I guess we just have to wait until the fight. Which I really can't... I'm so stoked about this.

Okay so I figured I should put my two cents in on this topic as well since i watch many of the matches on tv only because they follow up NHL on versus. In any case, I enjoy Jens Pulver, he may be one of my favorite fighters, even if he has been really bad as of late.

Jens Pulver was never really "great." At best he was decent. He got destroyed by BJ Penn last time. I couldn't believe he kept fighting after that.

Yeah, he may not be the greatest but of the fights I catch with him that are on after hockey I really admire him for always staying in the fight and not backing down even if hes getting his ass handed to him.

Maybe, like I said I have no real idea of what MMA entails or any statistics, I just know I see it after hockey games on versus and Jens is my favorite!

The entire roster for UFC Undisputed has been revealed not too long ago. :)

http://www.gamespot.com/sports/blog...puted-full-roster-reveal-video-interview.html

Some interesting notes:

-Cro Cop is going to be in the game....ehhehehe I predict some good online fun

-Tim Sylvia is going to be in the game....um eheheheh it'll be fun killing him?

-Cain Velasquez is going to be in the game and with such short notice too and that's good because I like this guy.

-Arlovski is going to be in the game

-Mark Coleman is in as a heavyweight

-Tito Ortiz is in. I hate the guy but he was pretty good at one point and they must have screened him abd acquired his contract before they dumped him. Oh well 205 needs at least some GnP.

-Evan Tanner is in. I loved watching him fight and it's a shame he's not around

So yeah these guys are the only big standouts. Everyone else is that's in is in the current UFC roster so not much to discuss. They haven't mentioned anything about guys like Couture, Frye, Gracie, or any of the other early UFC legends. Unlockables perhaps?

In betweeen kicking kids' asses online and picking random fighter to murder Chris Leben and Tim Sylvia with, I think this is going to be hella fun.

I am shocked that Shane Carwin did not make it into the game. He and Demian Maia were the two I was most looking forward to using. I hope Carwin becomes available as DLC, or something.

Anyone excited for UFC 97 coming up? I don't care so much for Fight Night (I'll watch it, and enjoy it) but I'm curious to see if Maia is right by saying Silva cannot handle Leites' BJJ.

I love Machida, and hope he wins the title.

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
What a weird choice of fighters though.

Patrick Côté just had a title shot and he isn't there, while someone like Matt Aroyo makes it.

O_o.

I guess I'll just abuse GSP if I end up getting the game but I still doubt mma transitions well into video games, hopefully I'll be proven wrong.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)