The Raging Sand

~ The Raging Sand ~

Introduction
I know, I know, everyone thought I had disappeared off of the face of the Earth. While I imagine that some of you remember me as a battler of moderate skill back in the previous generation if not also one of the biggest proponents of the Salamence ban that was placed shortly after I "disappeared," I am confident that most of you only know me as the random user with a Tiering Contributor Alumnus badge who has posted maybe ten times, if even that, in the last two years. I am not going to go into why I left for such an extended period of time. However, I will mention that I have kept up with current metagame trends and am not totally out of sync with the competitive battling scene.

Whew... Now with a formal, personal introduction out of the way...

First, in posting this team, I do not wish to imply that it is one of the best for the archetype it was built upon. On the contrary, I more or less constructed it by pure chance. When I started battling proactively when Black and White 2 were released, I stuck to offensive Rain teams. Admittedly, these teams were not consistent with the exception of one run in which I peaked at around a rating of 1850. Thus, after working with a tutor through the Battling 101 program - which I definitely recommend to everyone who is looking to improve - I began experimenting with different teams now that I was armed with team building strategies that were more appropriate for this generation. After one or two attempts at building a consistent, well-performing team, this particular one was born.

---

Team Building Process

In accordance with the team building strategies I was taught during the Battling 101 round I last participated in, I wanted to construct a team based around a particular win condition. At this point, I was not sure whether I wanted to make either just one or indeed multiple Pokemon as part of that win condition. Nonetheless, remembering all of the deadliest sweepers that I was familiar with from this generation, I decided to elect Terrakion as the primary sweeper for my team. With what I believed was unresisted STAB in addition to adequate defensive typing, I figured Terrakion would be a worthwhile choice.

In selecting the next member of my team, I settled with Genesect more or less because it was one of the most hyped users of Choice Scarf at the moment - heck, it still is. In terms of synergy, Genesect and Terrakion seemed to be decent offensive partners, with the former attracting Fire-type attacks which Terrakion could use to set up on. Furthermore, I figured that Genesect would be a nice complement to the defensive core that I then decided I wanted to base my team around.

At this point in the team building process, I knew that I had to select a defensive core that would allow me to handle the more common threats in the metagame as well as weaken the more obstructive counters to Terrakion. Remembering that Latias had served me well on past Rain teams that I had included her on, I chose her specifically for her ability to check if not wall teams based around rain and sun. With her unique and handy typing, Latias could handle the wide array of attacking types that at the moment threatened my team. In a similar vein, I chose Ferrothorn for his ability to check rain and sand teams, more so the former, as well as for his access to entry hazards. Furthermore, I recalled how annoying Ferrothorn had been to face from personal experience, so I had to offer the same agony to my opponents.

With Latias and Ferrothorn now on my team, I was not sure how to proceed. I had a defensive core that covered most of the threats in the metagame as well as a means to achieve a win condition in a Terrakion sweep through weakening counters with residual damage. I did notice that I was missing attackers who could maintain offensive momentum whenever Terrakion was not in - I did not think Genesect to be so effective in doing so when locked into a specific move. For the simple reasons of further checking opposing weather as well as building upon the residual damage theme of my team, I opted for Tyranitar as the next member of my team. Tyranitar had been one of my favorite, go-to Pokemon last generation, so I figured, "Hey, why not?".

At this final stage of the team building process, I needed a Pokemon which could handle some odd threats the rest of my team could not (which I will expand upon later). After some thought, I figured that Landorus-T would best fill this role for his ability to switch into physical attackers that my original defensive core in Ferrothorn and Latias could not handle as effectively. Plus, Landorus-T seemed underrated as a threat at the time because he was slower than his alternate form, and I knew the defensive approach my team was planning to take would make the best use of his unique assets.

And really, despite the numerous paragraphs explaining my methodology above, I really just built this team with some luck. I was not too confident that the team would perform well in an actual battle despite seeming fairly solid on paper, as stated before.

Anyway, onto my team...

---

Tyranitar (M) @ Leftovers​
Trait: Sand Stream​
EVs: 252 HP / 64 SAtk / 192 SDef​
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)​
- Crunch​
- Ice Beam​
- Fire Blast​
- Earthquake

Tyranitar's popularity has declined with the advent of the new rain abusers in Keldeo and the Therian forms, but it still fulfills a vital if not irreplaceable purpose on my team. Aside from activating sand and consequently eliminating opposing weather, Tyranitar allows my team to handle special threats which Latias cannot as a result of the latter's coverage in Dragon Pulse and Hidden Power Fire. I will usually play Tyranitar with minimal risk involved given the reasons mentioned before. One cool thing about running Tyranitar is that my opponent usually assumes I will lead with it, allowing me to gain momentum from the onset of the match. Additionally, Tyranitar, along with Ferrothorn and Latias, forms the defensive core which allows me to achieve my win condition late game.

I opted to use the specially defensive set over other sets, in particular the Choice Band set, for its higher durability as well as ability to switch between attacks and place arguably more offensive pressure on my opponent. Because Landorus-T is running Stealth Rock, I opted for Earthquake as my fourth attacking option to hit Heatran and Calm Mind Jirachi and not experience the drop in Attack and Defense that would result from running Superpower. Otherwise, the rest of the set is fairly standard.

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers​
Trait: Intimidate​
EVs: 248 HP / 174 Def / 88 Spe​
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)​
- Stealth Rock​
- Earthquake​
- Stone Edge​
- U-turn

First, I will note that Landorus-T is probably the most replaceable Pokemon on my team, in part because it was only added to check specific threats like Lucario and Conkeldurr. Nevertheless, Landorus-T serves as a useful offensive pivot that can switch into most physical attackers without too much risk and force my opponent to switch out. I do not play too conservatively with Landorus-T, often setting it aside for sleep fodder or sacrificing either all or a large portion of its health to lay down Stealth Rock or weaken my opponent's Pokemon.

The set should be self-explanatory apart from the EV spread, which I tweaked in order to allow Landorus-T to meet certain criteria which I wanted for my team. With 88 Speed EVs, Landorus-T achieves a Speed stat of 240, enough to outpace Adamant Breloom. While this may seem a questionable reason to run more Speed investment than what the analysis recommends, I figured that I would at least like to lay down Stealth Rock before Breloom puts me to sleep. Other than for its unusual Speed distribution, Landorus-T's EV spread and nature allow for optimal physical bulk as well as the ability for it to abuse its 145 base Attack stat.

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers​
Trait: Iron Barbs​
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SDef​
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)​
- Spikes​
- Leech Seed​
- Thunder Wave​
- Power Whip

Pardon my language, but this guy is a goddamn bitch. Ferrothorn is a handy Pokemon that has not only the capacity to check numerous threats but also access to entry hazards that allow for my team's overall defensive approach. I will switch in Ferrothorn to take resisted hits and occasionally as a double switch whenever I expect my opponent to switch in a Water-type Pokemon in order to lay down as many layers of Spikes as I can or weaken more Pokemon on my opponent's team. Ferrothorn, along with Latias and Tyranitar, forms the principal defensive core of my team.

The set I am running is one I tailored to better achieve a win condition in a Terrakion sweep. Spikes and Power Whip were more or less obligatory options, the former to rack up residual damage and the latter to abuse Ferrothorn's respectable Attack stat. Leech Seed has proven to be a worthwhile choice as part of the residual damage theme, weakening my opponent's Pokemon whilst healing Ferrothorn for further annoyance. Thunder Wave has proven useful in allowing Terrakion to outpace Pokemon it otherwise could not. The EV spread and nature were pulled straight from the analysis because I figured they were good enough, although I opted for the defense-raising option for the latter specifically to take Outrages better - although I can't hit the Pokemon using them very hard, I can at least cripple them with Thunder Wave.

Latias (F) @ Leftovers​
Trait: Levitate​
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spe​
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)​
- Calm Mind​
- Dragon Pulse​
- Recover​
- Hidden Power Fire

Often ignored for her more powerful brother, Latias is a useful defensive pivot that, due to her numerous resistances and nice bulk, allows me to quickly regain momentum in a match. Unlike the following two Pokemon, I have no issue with switching in Latias to take resisted (preferably special) hits. Irregardless of the set, Latias also pairs well with Tyranitar and Ferrothorn type-wise, forming a decent defensive core with the two.

At first, I was running a three-attack set with Draco Meteor, but I was not overly impressed with the damage input it was generating. After some debate, I opted for the Calm Mind set for its increased durability as well as higher damage potential in the long run - that, and I did not want to be forced to switch out after using the aforementioned Draco Meteor. I opted for Hidden Power Fire over the suggested support moves so as to eliminate Scizor as a threat to both Latias and Terrakion; plus, it is not weakened by sand.

Genesect @ Choice Scarf​
Trait: Download​
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe​
Hasty Nature (+Spe, -Def)​
- U-turn​
- Ice Beam​
- Thunderbolt​
- Flamethrower

Genesect functions as the ideal revenge killer for my team, given its teammates are quite slow compared to many of the sweepers in the metagame. I will usually lead with Genesect in order to gain an early advantage with U-turn or otherwise place immediate offensive pressure on my opponent. Despite its vast array of resistances, I attempt to limit the numbers of switch-ins with Genesect given its fairly mediocre defenses, one of which is furthered worsened by its Hasty nature.

Most users on this board should be familiar with the set by now, so I won't go in depth given the role Genesect fills on my team. I opted for a Hasty nature over Naive for the two reasons that I usually switch Genesect into specially based attacks and that Ferrothorn, also a Steel-type, switches into the physical moves that Genesect would normally be switching into anyway. I have considered running Bug Buzz over one of the coverage moves, most likely Flamethrower, but I have yet to test it. This set in particular also gives my opponent a false sense of security in the sense that once he discovers Genesect is running a Choice Scarf, he will spare little thought in switching in a resist, more often than not allowing me to pull off a successful double switch when actually mandated.

As a whole, this dude is pretty irreplaceable on my team, although I will admit I have considered Choice Scarf Jirachi for its higher overall bulk.

Terrakion (M) @ Salac Berry​
Trait: Justified​
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe​
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SAtk)​
- Swords Dance​
- Close Combat​
- Stone Edge​
- Substitute

Simply put, Terrakion is the win condition which my team is built around. Before bringing in this monster, I always aim to weaken the opponent's team through residual damage in the form of entry hazards and weather. For the most part, I always play conservatively with Terrakion before the late game, either bringing it in to revenge kill a threat after Genesect has fainted or resisting an attack that nothing else remaining on my team could handle. However, with this team, I have found that I usually do not need to rely on Terrakion to win, which certainly attributes to the flexibility of this team.

I opted for the Salac Berry set that was recently made possible with the release of the item (for this generation) so as to abuse Terrakion's unresisted coverage. Normally, I will switch in Terrakion once something has fainted and either set up a Substitute on the opponent's switch in and continue doing so until the Salac Berry activates or set up a Swords Dance if nothing on the opponent's team can outpace Terrakion or hit it with priority. The EV spread is such that the Salac Berry will activate after no more than three uses of Substitute. Normally, I would place the leftover EVs in Special Defense to as to not give Genesect a boost in Special Attack, but I would rather be sweeping with a Salac Boost at a possible 25% health remaining instead of 1%.

---

Additional Notes
As far as potential threats concerning this team go, a few of them I've encountered and especially struggled with are Cloyster and offensive variants of Volcarona. Though I have yet to run into it, surprisingly enough, I imagine that Tornadus-T would also give me major problems given it outpaces everything on my team barring Genesect and can deal heavy damage to everything. However, I believe that with the combination of Ferrothorn's Thunder Wave and Tyranitar's Sand Stream ability, I can check it decently enough. The Toxic stalling Gliscor set also has the potential to give my team a major headache due to the team's slower nature.

Now, I am sure some of you are wondering how successful this team has proven. Though I have not battled too much with it - probably 25 battles give or take - this team has achieved roughly a four-to-one win-loss ratio even against some reputable battlers from what I could gauge. I have been playing under the account 'Maya Fey' for those who may have encountered this team on the ladder.

Anyway, thank you for checking out my team. Any and all comments and suggestions are appreciated.

Asek

Banned deucer.
Hey,

Cool team Flashstorm1, Sub + SD Terrakion with Salac berry is a very powerful and underestimated threat in the current metagame.

This team is one of the best I've seen in BW2 so I don't feel many changes need to be made. Just a small suggestion, I would try out Pursuit > Earthquake on Tyranitar. This may seem a bit redundant at first, but even with lack of investment pursuit makes a great way to make sure the stuff you scare out will be taking damage, and is a great way to rack damage up on threats to your team, and your team doesn't really need Earthquake considering that Landorus-T beats the same stuff that Ttars EQ does but a lot more effectivly. The abilty to trap starmie will help your team out immensly, as its rapid spin can be a pain, not to mention Lati@s and the occasional Espeon not carrying HP [FIGHTING], who will otherwise stop you from getting up your precious hazards

GL with the team

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
This team is extremely solid Flashtorm1, and it covers most threats on the metagame pretty well, so there isn't much to change. The only thing you could try is using Chople Berry on Tyranitar and Stone Edge instead of Ice Beam to deal with Tornadus-T better (as with that, Tyranitar can switch on Hurricane, take a Superpower / Focus Blast, and kill Tornadus-T).

Aside from that, you could also use Hidden Power Ice on Landorus-T instead of Stone Edge, as it allows Landorus-T to 2HKO Breloom, hit Dragonite more reliably, stop Gliscor from setting up a Substitute, and hit opposing Landorus hard. For reference, this is the damage Landorus-T does with a neutral nature and 0 Special Attack evs to Breloom:

Hidden Power Ice: 158-188 (60.53 - 72.03%)

Nothing else to say, good luck with the team!

I am going to go ahead and run Hidden Power Ice over U-turn (rather than over Stone Edge) on Landorus-T in order to more effectively deal with threats such as Breloom and Gliscor. Although I think U-turn definitely serves its purpose on more offensively inclined teams, I never find myself using it enough to warrant keeping it because I either use the turn to set up Stealth Rock, deal some damage with Earthquake or Stone Edge to weaken my opponent in the long run, or just double switch. Does this seem good reasoning or am I way off on my thought process?

I am a bit hesitant toward running a Chople Berry on Tyranitar, not because I find the item unreliable or anything like that, but because I feel it benefits more from Leftovers in the long run. In addition, from past experience, I require Earthquake in order to deal with Heatran and Calm Mind Jirachi and thus am not willing to replace it with Pursuit. However, I think that it would better fit over Fire Blast as Tyranitar doesn't match up against Ferrothorn or Scizor that often anyway. Would any of you think this is a good idea to deal with Espeon and Xatu better?

Thanks once again.

Hopefully I do not get penalized for bumping a semi-old thread of mine, but I made some updates to this team to address some issues I was facing. Thus, I would like some feedback pertaining to these changes.

First, to help resolve my weakness to teams based around Deoxys-D, I replaced Landorus-T with the following set...

Starmie @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Care
EVs: 252 HP / 24 Def / 8 SAtk / 224 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Scald
- Recover
- Psyshock
- Rapid Spin

Also, because I no longer had a Stealth Rock user on my team with this change, I replaced my current Tyranitar set with the following...

Tyranitar (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Although Tyranitar has proven useful, I am thinking of replacing him with Hippowdon so that I am not so weak against the Genesect + Dugtrio core. With Starmie, I would also have an effective check against Heatran, a task that was initially left to Tyranitar.

Thoughts?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)