The Smogon Factor - Round 1

CATEGORY 1 (are in the game, have submitted a video; red=recently added)

CATEGORY 2 (can be if the game if they want to, have submitted a video)

CATEGORY 3 (have yet to submit anything but are still in the game until the next deadline)

• #Az
  • 6A9 Ace Matador
  • jumpluff
  • Mekkah
  • moot

Again, I might have missed something - if you notice anything wrong, tell me asap.

If you have uploaded your song on your own channel, please change the title following this format:
R1: Singer - Name of song
(for example, R1: Hipmonlee - When You Wish Upon A Star)

NEW INFO

Here is how we will proceed from now on. Starting now, everyone can start voting. By everyone, I mean EVERYONE, even people who were never involved in the game.

VOTES ON HOLD FOR NOW

HOW TO VOTE: Simply send me a PM on Smogon or IRC listing your 15 favourite submissions. This is who you want to 'save'. You MUST include at least 15 different submissions, otherwise your vote will not count. I suggest you make sure your vote was received by asking me on IRC since I don't have an unlimited Inbox.
If you are a participant, you CAN NOT include yourself in your vote!

The votes will be closed on Sunday, 6PM GMT. After that, the 16 people with the most votes will be announced in a dramatic fashion and they will continue to the next round, while all the others will be eliminated.

The people in Category 2 and 3 have until friday, 6PM GMT to do what's necessary to participate if they want to, i.e. submit a valid video and notify me. The longer they take, the less likely to have votes they are.

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE!

All the submissions I have are on Youtube! Check them out.
I uploaded Bucky's separately so the two links are different, but both work.

Props to sm64 for the start of Circle of Life :D

Please if you notice anything wrong (like a wrong title at the beginning of the videos for example), let me know.

This competition is already a slow as hell trainwreck, and now you want people to have to figure out fifteen different people they want to vote for? Yeah that is a great proposal.

Yeah, I don't think the proposed system will be an effective way to continue. It's much much easier to just add a poll to this thread with pairings, and it allows people to vote on some matchups and not others (if they don't want to listen to 15+ submissions).

What do you think about creating new pairings from the old ones (subbing out people at random for the new subs) and just adding a poll to this thread after the deadline? It worked for the last karaoke contest.

andrea

/me cresselias
I gotta say, I agree with the other two guys- a poll would be a lot more efficient and easier etc.

Dangit Bucky, way to blow the competition out of the water. That was ah-may-zing! <3

Yeah I had the same thought while sleeping. However I still think match-ups aren't the fairest way, and we can't have a public poll.

There are two options: either people vote for the 5 worst submissions (the votes are kept anonymous obv.) or they vote for their favourite 10. I'm sure you can figure out why I need more than 5 votes if I ask for favourites...

Note that this is the only round where so many votes will be asked.

There is one other proposition which is probably ideal if people agree to it:
We select four judges who aren't competing and are willing to listen to all the submissions; after each round, these judges nominate half of the participants for elimination; then everyone votes to save a couple of players among the nominated.

If 4 volunteers step up to judge, I'll organise it that way. Otherwise, depending on the genral opinion and what the other hosts have to say, I'll go for one of the two other options.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Part of the fun of the whole process is the "luck of the draw" and getting paired up with specific people. It also lets people actually pick out matchups they think will be interesting. Fairness be damned, it's a fucking karaoke competition and if anyone is REALLY getting butthurt about their matchup in something as trivial as this, we should be less just pandering to them and more trying to get them to ask themselves "why am i pissed about this".

Also, "random matchups" are fair. It's not like you're rigging the matchups (unless you are in which case youre a jerk >:( but that's beside the point), and part of it is going "well hmm here's who my opponent is, lemme just do the best that i can". Maybe getting matched up against someone good makes you not half-ass it.

andrea

/me cresselias
You could still just put up a poll and have people 'nominate' who they would like to go thru to next round if you really don't like the matchups idea. =)

Idk. I'll be quiet now. =X

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)