XY OU The Suspects (OU Suspect Team Peaked Top 100)

What's up Smogon? This is The Tyranitar and I guess it's kinda been a while since I've posted here. I've still been playing a lot of Showdown but I kinda lost contact with the smogon forums so that's too bad. In any case as you probably already know, we've had a suspect test for Aegislash. I made a bunch of pretty mediocre teams to try and get voting reqs with but none of them worked out. I finally pieced this team together and the team did pretty well. At the very end of the test I got a lot more wins and got in to the 1400s even with my limited time. Anyway this team was pretty good IMO and it's a shame this wasn't the team I used earlier on (I many have actually gotten reqs with this team had I used it earlier.) So without further ado here is my favorite team I used in our suspect test, let me know what you think!

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Rock Slide

Ahh, specially defensive Hippowdon. This thing is an absolute beast, it can even survive LO Greninja's Hydro pump (not that you should stay in or anything). Hippowdown is a nice switch in to many threats like Thundurus. Latios doesn't 2HKO with Draco Meteor and Slack off heals off any damage sustained. Rock slide is nice for Pinsir Mega and popping Excadrill's balloon. Hippo is the rock of an otherwise offensive team and provides Stealth Rock for offensive support. Hippo also lures out Kyu-B which Scizor can easily set up on.

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Mild Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam
- Iron Head

Physical based Kyu-B got a lot better with Aegislash gone, and it's my team's only real answer to stall. Dragon Claw tears apart anything that doesn't resist it, and can easily crush special walls. Since Hippowdown is weak to Water and Grass attacks, Kyurem can switch in on these moves and strike back while Hippowdon deals with Bisharp. Ice Beam hits Mega Venusuar hard, and OHKOs Gliscor and Landorus-T. Bluffing a purely physical set allows Kyu-B to lure out these walls and hit them with Ice Beam. Iron Head is great against Fairies and Fusion Bolt smashes the ubiquitous Azumarill. Overall Kyu-B is a solid member of the team and does a lot of heavily lifting.

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Roost
- Knock Off

Scizor Mega also appreciates the lack of Aegislash, and with Kyu-B removing most of it's defensive checks, Scizor is an excellent sweeper. Gamefreak is awesome for keeping Technican on Scizor Mega because Bullet Punch just wrecks offensive teams at +2. Scizor's excellent bulk paired with its typing and roost gives it many opportunity to set up. Scizor does dislike the lack of a Dark resist but honestly this is one of the best bulky sweeper in the tier.

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 196 HP / 252 Atk / 60 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Play Rough
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet

Azumarill is the fighting resist as well as an excellent dragon check. Huge Power lets this beast hit hard even without a boosting item. With an assault vest in hand Azumarill turns in to the team's Greninja check. Azumarill just fills a variety of roles and is often crucial to have in battle.

Bisharp @ Dread Plate
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 132 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 120 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

I love Knock off so much, it's like the best move in the game these days. Bisharp is just plain amazing and defiant just gives the finger to so many pokemon and moves it's just unbelievable. Bisharp is the real MVP and my teams are never complete without him.

Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast
- Psychic
- Sludge Wave

Landorus just may be too powerful to handle for most OU teams. This monster has great stats and is actually pretty nice against stall as well. Lando hits everything hard and sludge wave is great to surprise fairies with. If Chansey is on the field switch to Bisharp and try to knock off eviolite so Lando can in turn beat it one on one. Landorus also is nice against Mawile mega and Venusuar Mega.

Thanks for reading my RMT I hope you've enjoyed it!

pS ban aegislash

So I've used this team a few times to test it, and I honestly find it one of the most fun teams to use. I have a few comments:

1. Rotom-w is painful to switch into for this team. With good prediction, it can be played around, but even though this team employs kyurem-b (a great Rotom-W check), kyurem-b still fears the will-o-wisp on the switch. Azumarill can take a hydro pump/volt switch (not super well, haha) but fears the wisp, and so on. With good prediction, you can switch landorus into a volt switch and other things like that. In order to help with this issue a bit, I started using

Kyurem-Black @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Substitute
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power

and didn't find that I lost anything from not having dragon claw and iron head.

2. The team has a lot of trouble with mega pinsir, especially since hippowdon is specially defensive. I started running stone edge over rock slide for this. Same EVs and all, just stone edge > rock slide.

3. Conkeldurr can be tricky. Azumarill takes care of it fine in tandem with landorus, but absent those two, it's pretty set against this team.

4. I started using

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Atk / 56 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- Roost

so that I could outspeed max speed adamant azumarill with bullet punch. This isn't really that much of a deal, but in one battle I was in, it could've come in handy. I would've gone down to a critical hit aqua jet, fortunately it wasn't a critical hit and I was able to KO. It could come in handy if an azumarill sets up a belly drum too early also.

5. What are your speed EVs on bisharp for? I did some quick calcs, and it doesn't seem to outspeed anything by 1 or 2 points. I understand speed investment, but it seems like a few EVs might be wasted somewhere. I changed the set to

Bisharp @ Focus Sash
EVs: 116 HP / 252 Atk / 140 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch

because I found that focus sash has a lot of utility against sash rocks leads, terrakion, and dual screens/magic bounce/psychic type leads. Also, the EVs are adjusted to outspeed 8 speed rotom-w.

6. What are the EVs on azumarill meant to do? The special defense I mean; why not just dump those special defense EVs into HP? I wasn't sure why you did that in the RMT, so I just changed the EVs to 248 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 4 Spe for my set.

7. When I first looked at this team, I noticed that you said you had a bit of trouble with stall teams, and you're also using landorus. Landorus isn't a huge stallbreaker on your RMT team or anything, but it has that capability. I switched sludge wave to calm mind so that I could have so of this capability. I didn't feel that fairy types were much of an issue for this team since it has assault vest azumarill, bisharp, and (mega) scizor.

8. Mega scizor is also quite tricky to take down. I don't think it's a huge problem, but with swords dance and roost it could get annoying. Usually I won these encounters through throwing my own mega scizor in and hoping for the best. Azumarill does okay. So does bisharp.

Here is the team just in case (with changes):
Hippowdon (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Slack Off
- Stealth Rock

Kyurem-Black @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Substitute
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Atk / 56 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- Roost

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet

Bisharp @ Focus Sash
EVs: 116 HP / 252 Atk / 140 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch

Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Earth Power
- Psychic
- Focus Blast

But this team is seriously so much fun.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)