The Venting Thread (trolls itt)

Status
Not open for further replies.
after living in the South for so long you really stop noticing the butchering of the English language. hell, i've drunkenly threw out a "y'all" once. so embarrassing.

Fishy

tits McGee (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)
i never said the not pronouncing Ts thing was incorrect, i just meant it was annoying.

and sometimes it's an accent thing, other times people are just retarded.

or when you just capitalize Random Words for No Reason
or CAPITALIZE random WORDS for EMPHASIS
also yeah people with numbers in their names it legitimately bugs me

Australian accents. Day farken piss moi off. Doesn't help that I'm surrounded by people with them.

And that I have one.

That's a bogan accent, son, not Australian.
Exactly.
I really hate hearing "Aluminium" pronounced without the second i, as though it's "Aluminum".

While it annoys me when people use "its" instead of "it's", it doesn't bother me if they do it the other way around because it really makes more sense that way if you ask me. An apostrophe is usually used to show possession, why can't "it" have any possessions?

Actually the English language really pisses me off in general because of how inconsistent it is.

Because if it's was possessive instead of its there would be confusion between it's (the contraction) and it's (the possessive).

THINK

I wish I could like some of these comments.

Anyways, I'm shit at grammar, always have been always will be. I was never taught it in school to my knowledge, or I may have just skipped out on that day. I have never once used a semi colon or colon because I am not a pretentious dick. Like Kinneas said as long as it's legible i'm fine with it.

In regards to half of the things people say here, I'd say i'm guilty on quite alot of them whether it be your/you're (though never there/their), used to type with capitals at the start of every sentence, and in my written work if you can read it you'll notice there are capitals randomly slotted into words.

I do however hate people mispronouncing words, however I am fairly understanding when it comes to peoples accents. I think the biggest one is the way people pronounce scone (there's an e it's not scon it's scone (cone)) e.t.c

Because if it's was possessive instead of its there would be confusion between it's (the contraction) and it's (the possessive).

THINK
I'm pretty sure the context makes it pretty clear.
It hasn't stopped the countless other words with multiple, entirely unrelated meanings.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Australian accents. Day farken piss moi off. Doesn't help that I'm surrounded by people with them.

And that I have one.
Sorry, but the worst English accent has to be the Indian accent. Or, at least it's the funniest.

I think the takeaway from this thread is that the English language is retarded. Maybe I'll go make a thread about that :P

Erazor

✓ Just Doug It
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Sorry, but the worst English accent has to be the Indian accent. Or, at least it's the funniest.

I think the takeaway from this thread is that the English language is retarded. Maybe I'll go make a thread about that :P
Most Indians can actually speak English just fine, and better than a lot of Americans <_< Very few Indians actually speak with that "Indian accent" that you see on Russell Peters.

When idiots on a train/bus just take out their mobile phones and start playing Justin Beiber. That pisses me off.

I find accents something to be appreciated more so then to be something to be annoyed by. You cannot blame someone for not having english as their first language.

But I dunno what you're talking about Erazor, there are tons of people with "typical" Indian accents a la Russell Peters. I probably know more than most people as I'm Indian and have more connections or something like that.

common things most Indian people don't understand. Which really piss me off. For example "off the lights/on the lights" off and on are not verbs. Also when my eco teacher spontaneously starts talking in Hindi when she cant explain something in English. Or when anyone who is supposed to be teaching an England based syllabus says crores or lakhs. Say Hundred thousand or ten million, is it that hard? It seems like their trains of thought go thousand, ten thousand, lakh, million, crore, hundred million, billion, or even worse, thousand, ten thousand, lakh, ten lakh, crore, ten crore, hundred crore, thousand crore, lakh crore. I swear I feel like beating every person who says lakh crore up.

edit: erazor's right, most Indians speak fine, but the ones that dont are fucking annoying. Unfortunately, half my teachers are part of this group.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Most Indians can actually speak English just fine, and better than a lot of Americans <_< Very few Indians actually speak with that "Indian accent" that you see on Russell Peters.

When idiots on a train/bus just take out their mobile phones and start playing Justin Beiber. That pisses me off.
Most of over a billion people? You must be meeting a very select group of Indians Erazor because those Russell Peters jokes wouldn't be funny if the accent wasn't real. (I laughed at the joke, he is a very funny man)

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
Everytime I hear someone mispronounce "Pokemon". Hate to say it, but even on the last Smog Cast almost all the commentators mispronounced it.

It's not Poke-uh-mahn (underlined are wrong)

"Po" as in "Poke"

"ke" as in "kept" (that's why it has the little symbol over it)

"mo" as in "Moe"

"n"

Also the biggest emphasis should be on the "ke" which has a rising tone, and the "mo" should be short and falling tone.

And that's not getting into the pronunciation of Japanese Pokemon names.

. . . scrath that, hearing English speakers pronounce Japanese-based words in general can be painful, even words like "tsunami" or "rickshaw".
Wait, what?

I say poker mon. pokeh moan?

Pokay mon and pokie mon piss me off.

Guy in McDonalds: "Is there any apples pies left?" GAAAAGH!!!!

"Am I doing good?"

"I catched the ball!"

I used to work in a bakery with this indian guy who spoke really broken english. It wasn't annoying, it was funny. Kinda endearing/cute actually. Instead of saying "start putting the bread tins in the oven." he'd say "start putting!" or "We'll put the tins soon." Isn't it would replace don't you and shouldn't you: "you should have timed it, isn't it?"

im acctually pretty good with grammer: i always make an effert too type corectly and i use propper pronounciating to Txt speek reely pises me off.

I'm not really pedantic when it comes to speaking properly. As long as you don't sound like you were educated by monkeys, I'm okay with it. The opposite end of the spectrum is fancy vocabulary:

When engaging in social intercourse, the utilization of eloquent speech is frequently floccinaucinihilipificated by the common layman. Thesaurizing your vocabulary to deviate from standard lingo, cognomers or colloquialisms to appear intelligent to those in the immediate vicinity through the use of exotic or oft unused terminology will render the recipient of you wordmince in a perplexed state. The causality behind this outcome is the negative judgment of your statement by said person. As such vocabulary is not commonplace, most individuals will question one's reasons for opting to use such convoluted words in everyday speech. Simple words are much easier for everyone to understand and mean the same thing as the complicated ones. You're not impressing anyone by talking like a fucking aristocrat.

Erazor

✓ Just Doug It
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I find accents something to be appreciated more so then to be something to be annoyed by. You cannot blame someone for not having english as their first language.

But I dunno what you're talking about Erazor, there are tons of people with "typical" Indian accents a la Russell Peters. I probably know more than most people as I'm Indian and have more connections or something like that.
Most of over a billion people? You must be meeting a very select group of Indians Erazor because those Russell Peters jokes wouldn't be funny if the accent wasn't real. (I laughed at the joke, he is a very funny man)
I'm Indian.

Well Chou, I meant Indians who have studied the language. Not every single of our 1.1 billion people. The accent does exist, but it's not that widespread.

Badal

Shit
is a Contributor Alumnus
I'm Indian. I live in India. I have lived here for 14 years. I meet Indians on a regular basis. I have till now, not met anyone with that thick of an accent. This is just a ridicule on the people in India who have a slightly thicker accent when speaking English.

Till date, I have only encountered issues with people speaking English with bad grammar rather than having a ridiculous accent. Yes there may be people who have bad pronunciations, but that's it

Chou Toshio

Over9000
Well I just hope you didn't take my jest personally Erazor. I am an English teacher for Japanese people so I'm very well aware of how difficult the language is to learn and pronounce (well, very difficult for Japanese people anyway), and never actually hold it against 2nd language speakers who have trouble with it, accent, pronunciation or grammar. Hell, my Chinese is completely laughable, and I still see even greater goals for my Japanese. My home state in Hawaii is probably the worst in the US at using proper English (due to the prevalence of aforementioned local pidgin). And yes, my out of state friends do make fun of my tendency to overly use "yeah" at the end of my sentences (something of a relic of Japanese's influence on Hawaii Pidgin), or say "shoots" to confirm appointments.

I'd have to say though, that between going to college in California, studying in London and attending international events in Japan, I've met a lot of English speaking Indians, and would have to say at least from personal experiences, that the accent is quite common (though I have of course met many Indians with perfect American or Brittish accents as well). I'd say more Indians I've met had it than not.

Of course, even having the accent is next to completely trivial. Frankly, if even a mere 10% of the 100% of Japanese students who study English got to the point where a heavy accent was the worst of their problems, that would be an exponential improvement on the rather embarrassing performance of our ESL (English as Second Language) program. Of course as a teacher of ESL, I can't but be extremely impressed by the ability of Indians to learn the language.

. . . but then maybe that's why I feel it's "ok" to make light jest. The retention rate of English in Japan is so pathetic you can't even find it funny. But then, I could say the same thing about retention rates of second language study in America in general. lol

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It is scon (as in gone).

Have a nice day.
Thank you. We Scots are forced to hear everyone mispronounce this word all the time because hooked on phonics worked for them.

Depending on the accent, it sometimes sounds almost like "scun", because the 'o' sound is very short, not as drawn out as when you say "gone". This is more accurate than 'skoan' though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)