ORAS UU The Wrath of President Snow (20-1 on suspect ladder with 80 gxe)

Hello my name is Volty, people may know me as Voltage on pokemon showdown though. This is my 500th post on smogon yay! So I'm going to be generic af and post my suspect team to celebrate. Note this team is pretty flawed but I've retired it so I didn't update it too much for that reason. Even beside its weaknesses its proven to be a pretty solid team overall with around 100ish games to its name on various alts over a few weeks. It was made with user ooh keil em for a fun ladder team and thats what it is! Without further ado here is the team!

Teambuilding

It all started with abomasnow. We wanted to use this mega which isn't used a whole lot. Its actually pretty good and checks some prominent stuff in the meta, is bulky, and has decently strong priority which helps it mitigate its speed problem a bit.

Looking at what it was weak to fire was on the top of the list. Since we wanted to go a more balance/ bulky offence route with this team we decided to go with lax who shrugs off special hits and fire moves with ease. It also gave us a nice wincon to aim for later in the game.

Gligar was added to help with the fighting weakness and is also the check to mega beedrill. It sort of has to run both rocks and defog on the team or abomasnow's defensive capabilities are hindered quite a bit. Its kind of setup bait for things like feraligatr but the team can check it decently if you play it correctly.

Scarf Hydreigon was added next to pretty much check anything faster and patch up the horrid weakness to chandelure. It also helps with doublade, revenge killing things like salamence and mega beedrill, and prioviding a check to sd feraligatr as aqua jet at +2 does around 30% max.

Feraligatr was added next to give me something to deal with more offensive teams. After one dd it can absolutely run through teams that arent running suicune. I don't need to explain how good this thing is and how its pretty good bulk lets it get turns to setup pretty often.

This last slot was where we decided to have a bit of fun with this monster. It was added to give us a solid bulky steel for mainly slurpuff. It was also an amazing check to bulky grass types, psychic types and 2hko alot of stuff.

Doublade replaced esca for when I laddered with the team. The other team has a major problem with fighting types and doublade pretty much fills the same exact role as esca. This also gives us a nice check to curselax, fairies and most importantly cobalion and mienshao as they run through the team.

The team in depth

President Snow (Abomasnow) @ Abomasite
Ability: Soundproof
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 184 HP / 72 Atk / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Blizzard
- Giga Drain
- Ice Shard
- Leech Seed

Abomasnow is the center of the show, we decided to go with the special set so it has a better matchup vs bulky waters. Hp fire is for the surprise kill on forretress, and doublade and to catch lucarios off guard if they try to sd up on your switch if you feel ballsy. The speed evs are used to outspeed doublade. You can also go leech seed to have a better time trying to wear down suicune and get some better passive recovery, but I prefer hp fire.

Snorlax @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 136 HP / 196 Def / 176 SpD
Careful Nature
- Rest
- Earthquake
- Curse
- Body Slam

This thing is a monster and a nice blanket check to pretty much all special attackers. This is my second way to beat suicune as its a monster to face against this team. Its my main fire check and its a very nice wincon with curse. Once it starts going it can take hits like Life orb infernape's CC at +1 defence.

Gligar @ Eviolite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Defog
- Roost

This pokemon is the tightest in the team. It has alot of utility and responsibility which sometimes is a bad thing but I've never had too much issue with it being setup bait. It provides rocks and the important defog so that abomasnow can stay healthy to help check what it needs to check.

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- U-turn

This thing is a very important member of the team. It pretty much holds it together by revenging many of the super bad threats to the team. It also gives me a super nice special nuke so that one of my other members can break checks easier. Its a nice fast blanket check that my team would be devastated without.

Feraligatr @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 64 HP / 252 Atk / 192 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Ice Punch

I don't need to go on and on about how much of a monster this thing really is, It gives my team a better matchup vs ho as at +1 it can completely run through teams by itself. It also gives me good coverage to patch up some offensive holes. The spread is to outspeed things like crobat at +1 which is very helpful.

Chandelure @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 112 HP / 144 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Flamethrower
- Shadow Ball

See post by Vapo for why this was chosen :]

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Sacred Sword
- Shadow Sneak
- Swords Dance

Threats

Scarf Fighting types ruin my day specially infernape since doublade doesn't check that very well. To beat them you normally have to resort to tanking a hit with gligar/ doublade or pivoting well enough for you to be able to finish them off with priority.
Its mamoswine
If it starts to get going its a problem if I can't get curselax or aboma in as quick as possible.

Quiet Nature
- Blizzard
- Giga Drain
- Ice Shard
- Leech Seed

Snorlax @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Curse
- Body Slam

Gligar @ Eviolite
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Defog
- Roost

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- U-turn

Feraligatr @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Ice Punch

Chandelure @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Flamethrower
- Shadow Ball

Last edited:

Proof of tite, didn't get a pic before i soiled the rank though sadly. Was going for reqs but the ladder has been stupid so I'm not going to finish in time sadly. Might as well post it here along with the team.

Vapo

water me
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Hey Volty, really solid team you have here! I especially like the Mixed Abomasnow; you don't see that too often, as most people tend to run SD. Anyways, onto the rate, as I believe a few improvements can be made:
  • The biggest issues I see with your team are that you don't have much for fighting spam (especially Infernape) and fire spam (Entei in particular). Gligar is the only thing on your team that can take on Physical LO Ape, and Mixed Variants really blow through your team. To mitigate this weakness, I would suggest changing Doublade -> Chandelure. I definitely think Sub CM Chandelure fits your team well, as it checks things like Infernape and Choice locked Entei while also being able to set up on the likes of Florges and Curselax. I would run a moveset of Substitute / Calm Mind / Flamethrower / Shadow Ball with an EV spread of 112 HP / 144 SpA / 252 Spe with a Timid Nature. The EVs allow you to sub up on Florges without a boost.
  • I would change the EVs on your Feraligatr a bit. Max Speed Jolly really isn't needed on Dragon Dance sets. I would run just enough speed to outspeed max speed adamant Mega Beedrill and max speed base 130's including Jolteon and Crobat after a Dragon Dance. The spread is 64 HP / 252 Atk / 192 Spe with a Jolly Nature. This spread still allows you to outspeed max speed adamant Mamoswine without a boost as well, which is nice for your team since Mamoswine is a huge threat.
  • Just a side note, but I would definitely run Leech Seed over HP Fire on your Mega Abomasnow. Suicune is still annoying for your team, and Leech Seed is enormously helpful in wearing it down. It also aids in wearing down bulky pokemon like Cresselia, Porygon2, and opposing Curselax, which are all relatively difficult for this team to bring down (Leech Seed allows your Curselax to beat opposing Curselax much more reliably as well, which is nice especially if they are running EQ, meaning Chandelure cannot set up on it). Since you are no longer running HP Fire, I don't think the speed creep and Mild nature are worth losing bulk since you won't be able to hit Doublade as hard. I would change your Abomasnow spread to a considerably bulkier 184 HP / 72 Atk / 252 SpA with a Quiet Nature. You lose out on some speed, but the bulk you gain is extremely helpful, especially since this is your best answer to Mamoswine.
Other than that, you have a pretty sweet team! I hope you try out my suggestions. Good luck :]
Quiet Nature
- Blizzard
- Giga Drain
- Ice Shard
- Leech Seed

Snorlax @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Curse
- Body Slam

Gligar @ Eviolite
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Defog
- Roost

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- U-turn

Feraligatr @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Ice Punch

Chandelure @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Flamethrower
- Shadow Ball

edit: Volty I changed the Feraligatr EVs a bit to allow you to outspeed Jolteon and Max Speed Crobat, which I believe will be helpful overall.

Last edited:
Thanks for looking at the team Vapo I like the chandelure change but losing doublade means I have 0 switchins for slurpuff, and none of my mons except for lax can really stop it from setting up. I'll test it out for sure but that seems like a glaring problem with all of the ho running around at the moment. I'll edit the rest into the op though as I agree with the changes.

Vapo

water me
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
To be honest, the only thing Slurpuff really sets up on vs your team is Hydreigon choice locked into one of its STABs and Gligar if Stealth Rock are not up. It's a threat versus all offensive teams though, to be fair, and I don't think your team gives it /too/ many opportunities to set up. Also, I think it's worth noting that Chandelure takes a +6 Play Rough if rocks are not on the field (+6 252 Atk Slurpuff Play Rough vs. 112 HP / 0 Def Chandelure: 231-273 (79.9 - 94.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery) so I think you should be ok as long as you play well versus it.

Nice team man. There's just one thing bugging me, that scarf hydra seems so out of place. I get that fast draco goes fast is really effective vs offense however I feel that with 3 mons in the 35 or lower speed tier you would get more mileage out of a bulky tr user than a scarfer.

Aromatisse @ Leftovers
Ability: Aroma Veil
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect
- Trick Room

Standardish physdef TR cleric Aromatisse can room as needed for Lax, Megasnow, and Doublade while providing wish support to your whopping 3 bulky no recovery things. This can help with your Suicune problem by simply keeping Abomasnow healthy and allowing it to out speed cune in TR. While this is at best a check to Mamoswine and Infernape depending in their sets (adamant Mamo has a reasonably high chance of breaking wishtect and some custom AF LO hp ice/CC/gunk shot/fire blast Nape could show up) the overall increase in your teams bulk and the ability to swap to a SD/aqua jet/waterfall/crunch Gatr would give a pretty huge boost to overall utility and make dancing around these things much easier..

With this setup I would also suggest subbing crunch for sleep talk on curselax. With the loss of hydrie's resists slowking and chandelure become pretty threatening, crunch curselax beats both handily and can hold a greater offensive presence in TR. To reiterate if you chose to go down this route swapping to bulkier sets on Msnow and Gatr would be a solid plan though the exact speed you would want to run on SD jet gatr is entirely up to you as this is by no means a full OTR team.

Pro's: Able to run even more antistall and an "I win" button vs HO"
Cons: Mamo still hurts and you can no longer RK a specific mixnape set, Scald burns are stil suffering. Your still stuck using that godawful momentum killer gligar.

Options: You could go some boring as hell standard route and work in a defog mence + rocker (probably swampert) over gligar + hydra. Even with chandy added you could still swap to aqua jet SD gatr and keep dual priority so there's still no real need for a scarf.

Last edited:

Century Express

melodies of life
is a Tutoris a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender
Since you're not running a specific Pursuit user, Earthquake > Sleep Talk is a nice extra option to Lax, reducing set-up bait or momentum issues vs certain Fight-type mons (NP Lucario, Infernape), and you can chip up a bit of damage against opposing Doublade and hit Chandelure, which is pretty useful since your Hydreigon can't naturally Roost obviously because of Choice Scarf.

cool team, and grats for the suspect results! :toast:

Updated op with the changes, and updated the importable for anybody who would decide to use this team!
Century Express Thanks for that change on snorlax, losing hp fire on Aboma i had nothing to really deal well with special lucario (would suprise kill it with hp fire) lax with eq just wrecks it.

Nice team man. There's just one thing bugging me, that scarf hydra seems so out of place. I get that fast draco goes fast is really effective vs offense however I feel that with 3 mons in the 35 or lower speed tier you would get more mileage out of a bulky tr user than a scarfer.

Aromatisse @ Leftovers
Ability: Aroma Veil
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect
- Trick Room

Standardish physdef TR cleric Aromatisse can room as needed for Lax, Megasnow, and Doublade while providing wish support to your whopping 3 bulky no recovery things. This can help with your Suicune problem by simply keeping Abomasnow healthy and allowing it to out speed cune in TR. While this is at best a check to Mamoswine and Infernape depending in their sets (adamant Mamo has a reasonably high chance of breaking wishtect and some custom AF LO hp ice/CC/gunk shot/fire blast Nape could show up) the overall increase in your teams bulk and the ability to swap to a SD/aqua jet/waterfall/crunch Gatr would give a pretty huge boost to overall utility and make dancing around these things much easier..

With this setup I would also suggest subbing crunch for sleep talk on curselax. With the loss of hydrie's resists slowking and chandelure become pretty threatening, crunch curselax beats both handily and can hold a greater offensive presence in TR. To reiterate if you chose to go down this route swapping to bulkier sets on Msnow and Gatr would be a solid plan though the exact speed you would want to run on SD jet gatr is entirely up to you as this is by no means a full OTR team.

Pro's: Able to run even more antistall and an "I win" button vs HO"
Cons: Mamo still hurts and you can no longer RK a specific mixnape set, Scald burns are stil suffering. Your still stuck using that godawful momentum killer gligar.

Options: You could go some boring as hell standard route and work in a defog mence + rocker (probably swampert) over gligar + hydra. Even with chandy added you could still swap to aqua jet SD gatr and keep dual priority so there's still no real need for a scarf.
I don't really agree with going a more trick room route for the team as trick room is well, unreliable at best. The speed is really needed for this team to pretty much function. I would have chosen a better scarfer but dreigons resistances are way too good to pass up. Those being psychic immune and able to revenge doublade, chandelure, and the like. Not only that but it gives me a counter to aqua jet gatr which is a problem for many teams, while abomasnow covers dd gatr. Thanks for the rate anyway friend!

Hey Volty, cool team you have here.I do not have to many suggestions to be honest. It seems to be a solid team. I just want to point out that you should 100% keep Scarf Hydreigon. You need the speed and revenge killing since your team is quite slow.

My first suggestion is to change to full Speed and Special attack on Chandelure. Sub CM with that little SpA is very underwhelming. And frankly, that HP set does not logically make any sense in conjunction with the loss in power. If it was a 1v1, Chandelure vs. Florges, you wouldn't need to Sub on the first turn. You could CM and then you could Substitute with it not breaking the sub.

If you were going to go with the change to Earthquake over Sleep talk on Snorlax, that would make you extremely vulnerable to Suicune. After it got two CMs up, it would pretty much be over since Abomasnow's Giga Drain is going to do minimal damage on top of it being slower. Other than switching back to Sleep talk, an idea I have is going for an Empoleon with a spread like this:

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Toxic
- Scald
- Defog
- Roar
This spread would give you a Defoger meaning you can run U Turn > Defog on Gligar making it more than just a sitting duck. Toxic is for pokemon like Suicune, so you can force them to Rest. And if they happen to not have Roar, you can Roar it out by yourself. This change would stack Special Attacker's on your team which is not always optimal. Having 2 water types it not really a problem as Gligar pivots into pretty much every Electric type in the tier bar like HP ice Jolteon lol.

If the Empoleon change was made, I would change to the Physical SD Abomasnow > Special. SD Abomasnow is actually better to take on Water types like suicune. You would not have to switch into Scalds, risking the burn because you would have Toxic Roar Empoleon to switch in. My plan was to use Empoleon as a Pivot into water types and to Toxic them, and if its suicune, force it to rest so your Abomasnow gets a free switch in.

I want you to keep in mind these are just suggestions and these changes are optional, although I urge you to try them and let me know.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)