This Team got me to the top 20 but it's starting to struggle...(OU)

After about a week of play testing I came up with a team that has kept in the top twenty (12 at time of posting). It's was doing really well but it's starting to lose quite often. Any help is much appreciated.

Goal: Just like any team that is attempting to sweep with a specific poke this one attemps to get rid of it's main counters. This team focuses on a lucario sweep. So, here it is:

Heatran@ Shuca Berry
Naive
EVs: 4 Def/ 252 SAtk/ 252 Spd
-Earth Power
-Fire Blast
-Stealth Rock
-Explosion/HP[Grass]

Standard Leadtran. He gets up rocks and procedes to do what it can to my opponents lead. He works very well with my other poke and can usually take on most leads seen in today's metagame with their support. Below is a list of how I deal with some common leads. I find this thing to be useful late game so I try not to explode too early. Being my only ground and fire type user also makes him quite useful.

Swampert- Quite annoying. I usually switch immediatley to Vaporeon in fear of Surf/ Hydro Pump and proceding to set up until it leaves. The lack of a grass type reall hurts this team.

Azelf- It can't really do to much to Heatran. I'll usually get up rocks then procede to hit it with Fire Blasts until it either switches out or explodes.

Metagross- SR first then switch to Vaporeon on the expected EQuake. Then I usually use protect hoping to block explosion. If my opponents is smart they will usually read the protect and try using it next turn. If that's te case I usually got to Gengar.

Infernape- Fakeout variants are taking down by Vaporeon while others are usually handled by Gyara.

Heatran- Pretty much the same as 'Gross.

If you want to know how i would deal with something not present on the list please go ahead.

Scizor@ Choice Band
Adamant
Technician
EVs:176 HP/ 100 Atk/ 56 Spd/ 176 SDef
-Bullet punch
-U-Turn
-Superpower
-Pursuit

Scizor has replaced Vaporeon. He's been doing really well so far and attains good synergy with Lucario. Priority Bullet Punch also helps Gengar a bit since now I don't have to go to him every time I need to take something down. I went with superpower over brick break since screens aren't an issue and superpower is far better for damage considering I don't have max Atk.

Gengar@ Choice Scarf
Modest
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 SAtk/ 252 Spd
-Shadowball
-T-Bolt
-HP [Ice]/ Focus Blast
-Trick/ Focus Blast

My main revenge killer. DDmence and DDgyara can do quite a bit of harm to this team and this guy is my check for those things. If my normal counters have already been defeated then I send this thing in to get the kill. Most people don't expect this thing to be scarfed and usually let their poke stay in only to be OHKOed by Gengar. The lack of Focus Blast may seem bad but Ttar really isn't a problem due to the fact I have three poke with STAB water. Trick is used later on in the game to allow Gengar to get some last minute damage in before he leaves (and to cripple walls of course.) I know that there is a better EV spread out there. I'm currently deciding on which move to remove for focus blast because subtran can be a pain.

Infernape@ Life Orb
Naive
EVs:64 Atk/ 192 Spd/ 252 SAtk
-Overheat
-CC
-Grass Knot
-HP[Ice]

Infernape is in for Kingdra. He can handle most walls quite easily and is able sweep fairly well on his own. The EVs allow me to outrun 252 Spd naive nature Salamence. The reason I ran Overheat is quite simple. Most people can predict a Fire type move and switch off to some thing that can resist it and in some cases wall infernape. Being able to do 210 damage rather than 180 is quite useful in theses cases. Infernape will also rarely stay in to hit more than one poke with a SAtk. I also have noticed that players will switch in there steel type poke like 'Gross or Skarm after a single Overheat expecting to survive and KO me when it ends up being the other way around.

Gyarados@ Leftovers
Adamant
EVs:156 HP/ 108 Atk/ 100 Def/ 144 Spd
-Dragon Dance
-Waterfall
-Stone Edge
-Roar/ Taunt

Bulkydos with roar. Roar was originally to be able to stop BP teams but turns out to be quite usefull in general. Being able to shuffle pokemon that attempt to set switch in to this in order to get free DDs is amazing. It's not too rare to see this thing sweep entire teams if I can manage to get two DDs. Waterfall is again my main STAB and Stone Edge let's me hit Zapdos, dragons, and opposing Gyara. Taunt has replaced roar.

Lucario@ Life Orb
Adamant
Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk/ 4 Def/ 252 Spd
-SD
-Extremespeed
-CC
-Cunch

The late game sweeper. Once most threats like gliscor have been taken care of this thing just takes everything out. I usually can manage to inflict damage to most if not all of my opponents poke which just makes Lucario's job easier. Crunch is to hit Celebi who can sometimes be a problem and other psychics. CC is here for STAB and Extremespeed to pick things off.

Issues: The main problem with this team is the moove pool. After Heatran has exploded I have no fire and ground type users. I lack a grass type move which allows pert to do a bit of harm. And Lucario is my only priority user and I usually try to send him in late game. Luke is also my only fighting type user. I mainly find myself trying to take down these pokemon with shere force rather than strategy.

Threat List:

Aerodactyl: not much of a peroblem. Vaporeon can usually take this on with little trouble.

Azelf: Leads can't do much, and even then Gengar can outspeed and take it down with Shadowball.

Blissey: Pure set up for Kingdra. Seismic Toss limits this a bit but I can usually slip in at least one Dragon Dance.

Breloom: KIngdra's Lum Berry lets it switch in easily. Sub up the DD away.

Celebi: This can be a problem. I usually have to go to Lucario in order to take it out.

Dugtrio: Counter?

Dusknoir: Set up for Kingdra. Gengar can usually 2HKO with Shadowball.

Empoleon: Walls Kingdra, and lack of an EQuake user makes it even tougher to take down. Usually resort to Lucario's CC.

Flygon: My best bet against this is to revenge kill with Gengar. Scarfed versions can be tough to take out.

Forretress: As you can see, I am helpless against steals. Heatran can scare it off asuming it's still alive.

Gengar: A lot are starting to run HP [Fire] over T-Bolt which makes it harder for it to switch in. My Gengar can outspeed and OHKO.

Gliscor: Vaporeon.

Gyarados: Vaporeon. Gengar can revenge if it gets a DD.

Heatran: Walled by Kingdra if it doesn't have both Sub and HP [Grass]. Gyara and Vaporeon can also do well against it.

Hippowdon: Vaporeon, Kingdra, and Gyara.

Infernape: Gyara ( assuming no Stone Edge) Vaporeon and Kingdra.

Jirachi: Leads either swtch out right away or get hit by Fire Blast. Can be a bit of trouble but I can usually take it down.

Jolteon: No EQuake let's this thing inflict damage to everything. My best bet is to revenge with Gengar.

Kingdra: Can't switch into much. Vaporeon is really the only thing. My own Kingdra usually outspeeds those ran on rain dance teams.

Latias: This thing is big trouble if it can manage to get a CM. It can sually switch in with easy on Vaporeon and procede to set up. I usually have to work around it by using Gengar and Lucario.

Lucario: Gyara stops it if it lacks Stone Edge. Vaporeon and Kingdra can be used to an extent.

Machamp: Can't do much to me.

Magnezone: Scarfed versions can be a problem.

Mamoswine: Vaporeon and Kingdra.

Metagross: Kingdra can usually stop this thing. AgiliGross can be a threat (assuming Thunder Punch) and is usually revenge killed with Gengar.

Ninjask: Phaze with Gyara, deal with it later.

Salamence: Gengar usually revenge kills this thing. If I know it's DDmence then I switch in with Gengar, if I don't I wait to see what it has in fear of Draco Meteor KOing Gengar.

Scizor: Gyara walls it completely, can't do much to Kingdra either.

Skarmory: Being a steel type is enough for it to be troublesome. Gengar can take it on it with T-Blot.

Starmie: Kingdra usually has to use Outrage while Gengar can revenge it with T-Bolt.

Suicune: Kingdra. Vaporeon and Gyara assuming it doesn't have HP[Elec]

Swampert: Can't do much to me but I an't do much to it.

Tentacruel: Gengar usually has to revenge kill.

Togekiss:Gyara can take it on and Kingdra can absorb the T-Wave.

Tyranitar: Kingdra.

Vaporeon: Kingdra can set up while Gengar can scare it off.

Weavile: Can't do much harm to anyone aside from Gengar.

Zapdos: Kingdra can't do much if it has HP[Grass]. Usually revenge with Gengar.

As you can see teels are hard to take down and I resort to revenge kiiling quite often.

In your threat list you wrote Zapados has Hp(grass) that sin't supper effective against Kingdra. Also 70 power hp grass won't kill you since many ppl run defensive ones 1-2 Dragon Dances and outrage KO's zapados. Might want to fix that, and on the team now.
Roar isn't going to help you much espically on gyrados bulky gyrados isn't very bulky like roar pert he can take alot of hits, but one thunderpunch for a agiligross and gyrados is gone that's why I would suggest running taunt to keep them on the same move like if agiligross who is very popular now comes you can taunt it agility's and that's were you can set up and boom you sweep.
Don't put the 4 ev's in hp add them to defense still you want to take metagross leads earthquakes even with shucca berry a lot better since it can cause you massive damage.
Here's a suggestion on heatran adding hidden power grass on him will be good so you can get an early kill in the beggining of the game, and if you don't really cure pert, and lead pert can maul your team since theres no grass coverage. That's all gl on making it ont he top 5. I only have once and that was a while back =/.

To be honest, having both Kingdra and Gyarados on the same team with those movesets is kind of redundant, especially since you also have a bulky water-type in Vaporeon. I would therefore suggest replacing Kingdra with something that can handle Swampert and the steels that you find threatening. Mixape is probably the most suitable replacement as he has sweeping capabilities and can deal with most of the threats you listed in red. Gyarados shouldn't have too much trouble dealing with the odd Rain Dance team anyway.

I really think a Choice Band Scizor with 176 HP/100 Att/176 Special Defense/56 speed would be good over Vaporeon. Vaporeon's Wish only really helps Gyarados, because Gengar is usually revenge killing, Heatran is gone early, Kingdra probably won't be coming out once it's in, and Lucario is the late game sweeper. Choice Band Scizor with Special Defense will help take on Latias, Celebi (watch for HP Fire! Hopefully Heatran is still alive), and Salamence. U-turn also allows your team to maintain offensive momentum. Scizor has great synergy with Swords Dance Lucario, because they have similar counters, and Scizor's u-turns, combined with SR, can wear down Zapdos/Gyarados for Lucario to Extremespeed away.

Thx for the help. I'll test with Infernape and Scizor. As for the comment on why Heatran could stop Kingdra idk what I was thinking. This was written late at night.
@Raindance- What should I replace with HP[Grass]. Explosion?

I'm thinking about adding Focus Blast on Gengar because I just got screwed by a subtran.
I'm currently wondering if I should remove heatran for another lead.

focus blast is a very useful thing on scarfgar, but the shaky accuracy has screwed me over more than once. i'm not saying don't use it, but i wouldn't call it a 100% reliable counter to anything. 70% accuracy blows.

if you're using scarfgar primarily as a revenge killer, i'd say get rid of trick. infernape can't outrun mence after one dd and you don't have any other dragon check (although scizor could bullet punch one at low health).

Use specs Luc and SD scizor
Why?
Because LR says its a good combo :P

(note i copyed and pasted this from the effective offensive combos thread credit to LR)

Lucario @ Choice Specs
Timid - Inner Focus
4 HP, 252 SpA, 252 Spe

- Aura Sphere
- Dark Pulse
- HP Rock
- Vacuum Wave

+

Scizor @ Leftovers
Adamant - Technician
252 HP, 76 Atk, 176 SpD, 4 Spe

- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Brick Break
- Roost

It may seem familiar, and that's because one of my most successful teams was based on this very combo. SpecsLuke serves as a great lure for some of SD Scizor's counter. Rotom switches into the expected Fighting move only to get OHKOed by a Dark Pulse instead. Salamence, Gyarados or Zapdos coming into the Close Combat only to get nailed with a super effective HP Rock. Aura Sphere also one hits things like Skarmory and Forretress, which otherwise get in Scizor's way. Once Scizor's (and Lucario's in most cases) main counter is removed, it's an easy matter for the bulky set to SD up (setting up on things like Vaporeon, Starmie, Swampert and non-SD Gliscor) and sweep the rest of the team. They both use STAB priority on different spectrums, which can be of a real help in taking out weakened faster foes.

Of course, they aren't the best defensive pair, but that doesn't mean that they are any less effective. The team I used them on kept me in the top 10 for over a week. Just goes to show you that you don't need to cover each other's weaknesses perfectly to be an effective offensive combo.

I'll test that out but my only concern is that I now have a harder time dealing with lati since CB Scizor was able to take it down easily but I suppose Specs Luke can do the job. Thx for the help

Edit: I found that my previous sets for scizor and lucario were better since my team was focused on a lucario sweep and CBzor helps with that. I think I'll be using mamo lead and see how it does.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)