This team is great at losing!

X/Y Singles on Battle Spot (3v3 rated)

So I’ve been really sucking at rated battles on X/Y Battle Spot in game (not so much on PS for some reason…). I test out some strategies and it works well for me on PS and then I go in game and loose 90% of the battles. I need a more consistent team but I also want to use Pokémon that I like. I really love Cloyster, love hitting through sashes/sturdy/subs, but it’s SpD is such a problem and I don’t think the rest of the team is helping it. I also love multiscale Dragonite, I like that you can almost always get in one DD before it looses multiscale and one DD is often enough to sweep. I used Cloyster and Dragonite in BW2 to great success on random matchup (not rated battles though). I also really like Mega Kangaskhan (again, powerful multihit moves). Those are kind of the three that I really want to use and so I need help finding three team members that can support them.

The following are the main questions I have about the team:
What would be a good lead?

If I want to use Dragonite/Cloyster/Kangaskhan, what kind of support do they need?

Do I need a spinner/defogger? I was thinking of Starmie but then I probably have to get rid of Cloyster.

I got really screwed by Skarmory/Chansey/Slowbro so I need something to take on that style of defense. What’s a good Phaser that would work well with this team?

Do I need more Special attackers? Burn really shuts down my team.

I got really screwed by Sableye but I haven’t faced on since I put Talonflame on the team, is he a good counter for it (just have to be careful of foul play or swagger?)

Greninja was a problem until Talonflame, are there better options? I’ve considered a Goodra but I already have Dragonite and I really don’t want to replace it.

I want more success in rated battles, what does my team need?

Dragonite @Lum Berry/Weakness Policy
Multiscale
Adamant
252 Atk/4 SpD/252 Spe
-Dragon Dance
-Outrage
-Fire Punch
-Earthquake

I was using Dragonite as a lead unless the other team really looked to have the upper hand on it. First turn Dragon Dance and with multiscale it can almost always survive a hit, if it’s a super effective hit and it survives people sometimes quit right then and there when I’m using Weakness Policy. Lum Berry I used when it wasn’t a lead, both items have pros and cons. I find myself wishing sometimes that it had ExtremeSpeed. Fire Punch is there from Gen 5 when I hated the Rotom-W/Scizor ubiquity; with it Dragonite had the moveset to take them both out. I usually don’t Outrage until there are only 2 pokémon left but if I stick with Weakness Policy would Dragon Claw be a better option since I can’t heal the confusion anymore? I’m thinking that with a WP boost + one DD Dragon Claw might be safer? I haven’t tried it.

Cloyster @King’s Rock
Skill Link
Adamant
4 Hp/252 Atk/252 Spe
-Icicle Spear
-Rock Blast
-Shell Smash
-Ice Shard

Wouldn’t it be amazing if Cloyster got Water Shuriken? I would drop ice shard like a bad habit. This thing was great on the baton pass team I used in gen 5 but in rated battles BP does not fly. I really like it but I never feel like it’s essential to put it in one of the 3 spots when I’m looking at the opponent’s team. Love King’s Rock, it’s saved me several times. I really don’t know how to make the most of Cloyster.

Kangaskhan @Kangaskhanite
Scrappy/Parental Bond
Adamant
4 Hp/252 Atk/252 Spe
-Return
-Power Up Punch
-Crunch
-Earthquake

I see people use her as a lead sometimes, how viable is that? Love them double hits.

Mawile @Mawilite
Intimidate/Huge Power
Adamant
4 Hp/252 Atk/252 Spe (I think?)
-Play Rough
-Iron Head
-Sucker Punch
-Fire Fang

I use Mega Mawile when there’s a lot of fairies on the other team, it is the only Pokémon on my team that can hit them super effectively. I like intimidating and then switching to a more favorable matchup.

Raikou Expert Belt
Pressure
Timid
4 HP/ 252 SpA/ 252 Spe
-Thunderbolt
-Shadow Ball
-Volt Switch
-Hidden Power Ice

Raikou is here to counter opposing Talonflames and Greninja’s but my Talonflame may be a better option to stop Greninja. Don’t know how useful this thing is but it is a special attacker on a team full of physical attackers. Probably very replaceable though I do find myself throwing it in there when I can’t think of a better option.

Talon Flame Life Orb
Gale Wings
Adamant
192 Hp/ 252 Atk/ 4 Def/ 60 Spe
-Brave Bird
-Flare Blitz
-Roost
-Swords Dance

I got screwed by a Sableye and promptly put him on the team afterward. OHKOd the one Greninja lead I faced since I included it, so maybe I don’t need Raikou since it can seemingly take care of both Sableye and Greninja.

Thanks for reading all this, I’m sure my team is messed but so I welcome the critique.

Last edited:
I already have, it seems to be the same rules as in game Battle Spot, 3v3. Nearly every team uses Mega Kangaskhan on showdown.

AustinJ

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
I already have, it seems to be the same rules as in game Battle Spot, 3v3. Nearly every team uses Mega Kangaskhan on showdown.
Umm no. Kangaskhanite has been banned in OU. So unless your are playing Ubers, you can't use Mega Khan. Of the hundreds of PS battles I've played, not 1 Mega Khan has shown up...

I'm not playing OU, or Ubers. XY Battle Spot Singles on Pokemon Showdown. Anyway, I'm playing in a format that allows Mega Kangaskhan so does anyone have any advice on how to improve my team?

AustinJ

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
I'm not playing OU, or Ubers. XY Battle Spot Singles on Pokemon Showdown. Anyway, I'm playing in a format that allows Mega Kangaskhan so does anyone have any advice on how to improve my team?
Alright then. On Talonflame, change your EV spread to 252 Att / 4 Def / 252 Spe as you need at least 208 Spe to outspeed Mega-Pinsir's QA and the 44 HP EVs won't matter, so invest all in speed to U-Turn on lati@s and speed tie other Talonflames. Also, since 3v3 is pretty fast pace and talonflame rather frail, it has trouble setting up Swords Dance and the Life Orb + BB/Flare Blitz makes talonflame go down very quickly, use Choice Band and U-Turn over Life Orb and Swords Dance with a filler move such as WoW or Sleep Talk over Roost.

On Mega-Khan, Sucker-Punch is very important to offset her low speed stat. Sucker Punch over either Crunch or Earthquake is what I think would be best. Use Earthquake and Sucker Punch for better coverage but crunch keeps you from being walled by Sub-Disable Gengar.

Thanks, yeah Talonflame gets worn down very quickly with life orb and the recoil from his moves.

Any thoughts on Using Fake Out and Sucker Punch on Mega Kangaskhan? Something I've thought about trying since it as you said her speed can be problematic.

Umm no. Kangaskhanite has been banned in OU. So unless your are playing Ubers, you can't use Mega Khan. Of the hundreds of PS battles I've played, not 1 Mega Khan has shown up...
Mega-Khan is only banned by Smogon and not Nintendo, so Mega-Khan is perfectly legal to use in anything not following smogon's rules.

On to the team, Every pokemon you have is offensive, there really isn't any bulky pokemon that you would like to take hits for you or spread status for that matter. That kind of support is what you need if you want to run a hyper offensive team, which is what this will most likely be if you want Mega-Khan, Dragonite, and Cloyster. U-Turn/Volt Switch would help out with keeping the momentum. Try switching out Raiku for Rotom-W with Thunder Wave/Volt Switch and 2 moves of your choice. It also adds a lot of bulk and does a much better job of countering Talon Flame.

If you are running Talonflame and Dragonite you NEED a spinner if you want either of them to be effective. Also Life Orb isn't that good on talonflame because you will end up killing her w/ recoil alone after only a few attacks.

Cloyster really isn't helping your team that much and I suggest switching it for Starmie which can still sweep and yet adds Rapid Spin support. This also reduces your reliance on physical attackers somewhat because Starmie is a powerful Special Attacker.

That's all I can think of ATM but I'll probably check back again and take a look one more time.

AustinJ

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
Thanks, yeah Talonflame gets worn down very quickly with life orb and the recoil from his moves.

Any thoughts on Using Fake Out and Sucker Punch on Mega Kangaskhan? Something I've thought about trying since it as you said her speed can be problematic.
Yes, Fake Out and Sucker Punch is definitely a viable option, although plays a little differently.

AustinJ

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
Mega-Khan is only banned by Smogon and not Nintendo, so Mega-Khan is perfectly legal to use in anything not following smogon's rules.

On to the team, Every pokemon you have is offensive, there really isn't any bulky pokemon that you would like to take hits for you or spread status for that matter. That kind of support is what you need if you want to run a hyper offensive team, which is what this will most likely be if you want Mega-Khan, Dragonite, and Cloyster. U-Turn/Volt Switch would help out with keeping the momentum. Try switching out Raiku for Rotom-W with Thunder Wave/Volt Switch and 2 moves of your choice. It also adds a lot of bulk and does a much better job of countering Talon Flame.

If you are running Talonflame and Dragonite you NEED a spinner if you want either of them to be effective. Also Life Orb isn't that good on talonflame because you will end up killing her w/ recoil alone after only a few attacks.

Cloyster really isn't helping your team that much and I suggest switching it for Starmie which can still sweep and yet adds Rapid Spin support. This also reduces your reliance on physical attackers somewhat because Starmie is a powerful Special Attacker.

That's all I can think of ATM but I'll probably check back again and take a look one more time.
I know. I stated above that Khan can be used in-game. He said he was playing with Mega-Khan on PS and I was unaware of the battle spot 3v3 option on PS.

Thanks for your comments, I was thinking of using Starmie as a spinner/special attacker. I got completely swept by one in game once. As much as I hate the idea of using such an overused Pokémon, I guess I'll give Rotom-W a try (I'm using Talonflame so I must not be that averse to OU Pokémon).

Yes, Fake Out and Sucker Punch is definitely a viable option, although plays a little differently.
I tried this and it leaves her easily walled by Ghosts like Cofagrigus and Sableye as well as flying types/levitate users who can't be hit by Earthquake. Come to think of it those Pokémon will probably always be an obstacle for Mega Kangaskhan...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)