Three Days Grace - Three Days Grace

Three Days Grace-Three Days Grace

Genre: Rock
Year: 2003
Record Label: Jive/Zomba

This was Three Days Grace’s first album…If you haven’t heard of them, Three Days Grace is a more mainstream rock group that plays, well, rock, and puts on a really good live show. This is their first CD, which contains the singles “Home,” “Just Like You,” “I Hate Everything About You,” and the Canada only "Wake Up." At the time of recording, the band consisted of Adam Gontier (Vocals, Guitar), Neil Sanderson (Drums), and Brad Walst (Bass, Backup vocals).

Now, for the individual song reviews…

Burn- The intro to the album. As is now custom to Three Days Grace intros, it has a very long instrumental intro that doesn’t match the rest of the song when Adam starts singing. But, once that happens, the song gets better. I really like the guitars for some reason…but the intro is just too long and makes you think you have a broken speaker system. 4.5/10

Just Like You- One of the Singles off of this album. The Guitars are really powerful in this song…as in loud. Very loud. Also, the lyrics are just unoriginal…Adam sings “I can be [Insert word used to express cruelty here, such as Angry, Cold, Ruthless, etc.]” almost every line. Its cool the first few times, but then I think it gets…well…boring. 5/10

I Hate Everything About You- Their most successful single on the album. It’s actually good. pretty much, it’s a song about a relationship that doesn't work out. Adam is especially good in the chorus, which is this band’s best area. Still, they can do better. 7.5/10

Home- This was the band’s third single off of the album, and the last one released in the U.S. The drums are decent, The guitars are modest. Adam’s vocals are…well…normal. Nothing particularly spectacular about this song. 6/10

Scared- This is when the good stuff starts...mostly. I like how Adam changes his voice a little during the verses, but the lyrics don’t make any sense at all. The guitars are decent, and you can’t really hear the drums. 5.5/10

Let You Down- This song’s one of my favorites. The guitars are good. The drums are good. But, the vocals are spectacular, in my opinion. 8/10

Now or Never- This is my favorite song on this album. Hands down. A song with incredible vocals, drums, and guitars...wow. But, it’s the lyrics that I like best…I don’t know why. This easily could have, and should have, been a single. 10/10

Born Like This- Well…this song isn’t too special …for the same reasons as Home. Except it isn’t a single. Still, it is a little better. 6.5/10

Drown- One of my favorites. The drums are good, the guitar is excellent. But, it’s the chorus that shines here…Even though Now or Never is my favorite song, this song has to have my favorite chorus. 9/10

Wake Up- This is the worst song on the album. And it was the fourth single off of the album, released only in Canada. This is the only song on the CD that drops an F-bomb. Though, it actually made sense in the context, so I guess that its fine. It’s also slow at the start…which Three Days Grace doesn’t tend to do well on. It speeds up, but the instruments and vocals just aren't good.2/10

Take Me Under- This song is good… Good vocals, good drums, good vocals, incredible chorus. A typical song by Three Days Grace. 7/10

Overrated- See Take Me under. Except everything is a little better, and the chorus is almost as good as Drown. 8/10

CD Average: 6.6/10

If you want to hear this band off of this CD, Download…
1) Now or Never
2) Drown
3) I Hate Everything About You.

Now, even though I Hate Everything About You isn’t ranked as high as Overrated or Let You Down, It’s their best single, so If you like this better than the other two, then I would recommend buying Just Like You and Home as well. This review also may have been a little biased, since I've heard the album too many times.

-For those of you that look trough obscure Pokemon forums, I am Dratini from Team Magma/Pokestadium Forums, as I have noted in this review on that website.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I saw them open for The Dropkick Murphy's and I was thoroughly displeased. It could be that I think their music is a joke, but add in the fact that the guitarist acted like a raging douchebag while he played and they just really annoyed me.

monkfish

what are birds? we just don't know.
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hey I've seen this band, opening for someone or other, probably a really cool hip indie band right. I enjoyed their songs but I do remember the guitarist being a dick!

Meh. I thought that their live was good...but I haven't really been to too many concerts, either...So, they probably suck as much as the next band in concert. And...well, I had bad seats at the 2 concerts I saw them at (one with Nickelback, one with breaking Benjamin), so I couldn't really see how bad the guitarist looked >.> ...I don't even think he talked at the last one I went to XD.

One X was extremely better than their debut. I might post a review of it later...but, not today :P

True. I wrote this review when I was really into mainstream rock. I stopped listening to this guys once I started getting into metal... Now Or Never is the only song I still like off this disc. Get Out Alive is off of One-X, which I think is a lot better, but half of it isn't too good.

Three Days Grace's best songs are mainly Never Too Late, Get Out Alive, Time of Dying, Now or Never, and Pain.

A lot of their stuff gets old quickly. I really hate to say that; these guys used to be my favorite band.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)