Top 500 OU Leaderboard - a dream

I've been playing Pokémon metagames since they exist and since the ladder was first invented on the GSbot I love to climb it.

I often try specific teams and see how far they get me.

Nowadays on the OU Ladder it is nearly impossible to enter a ranked (Top 50) place without at least a quite common team.

Remembering the shoddy ladder with 10000+ accounts and a Top 100 I wonder how much more account must be on the Smogon server.

But why is there only a Top 50 leaderboard on OU?

In my opinion it could easily be Top 500! :)

It would be a lot more motivation for newer players with less skills or players which like to use specific teams and it would be easier to follow your progress. Also seeing your nick in a ranking on the internet is always fun.

For sure the real number could be discussed and it could also be thought about other ladders.

But in general I would like to know, if anyone else likes the idea too?
And if there are maybe specific technical problems which work against it?

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I think this would probably be more suited to the Suggestion Box.

Seems like a reasonably good idea, though probably not a priority for programmers. If only the top 50-100 showed up to start with, but you had the option to see more it would be ideal. Also, with the huge number of players on some ladders, if we're thinking of expanding the list.. 1000 players is a nice large round number. Maybe when SB2 comes out?

Reverb

World's nicest narcissist
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I completely disagree but respect your idea. The leaderboard is meant to serve as validation of skill. By making it less exclusive, the prestige of being on a leaderboard decreases.

Basically, it would be a fun and maybe useful thing to have. But there are many more important projects going on right now, like Stage 4 Suspect Planning and Shoddy Battle 2, so its a far-future consideration, I guess.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I completely disagree but respect your idea. The leaderboard is meant to serve as validation of skill. By making it less exclusive, the prestige of being on a leaderboard decreases.
Surely the prestige just moves from "being on the leaderboard" to "being high on the leaderboard", and allows the less amazing players to track their progress in an extra way. It's not a priority in the least, but I don't see how it could actually be a bad thing to have.

Many people ask how good a certain rating is. Depending on how much the leaderboard is expanded, it can show exactly how good a certain rating is. I support this idea, although it won't be high on anyone's priority list.

Mm, It should be moved to the suggestion box. Also, I disagree with the idea. The leader boards are suppose to demonstrate who is skilled. Rounding the number up to 500 from top 50 would be a waste because for that amount of shoddy players that play on a constant basis, you would have people on the leader-boards who is not as skilled as others. Also, sb2 is more important then expanding the leader-boards. A worthy idea, but it's just not suited.

On Shoddy currently there is also no way to check your own position on the leaderboard unless you are in the top 50. I support revealing the top 500 on the leaderboard because it would give the players a sense of progress on the ladder while not devaluing a high position. People never brag in their sigs by just saying they have been on the leaderboard, they say what ranking they got instead.

Mm, It should be moved to the suggestion box. Also, I disagree with the idea. The leader boards are suppose to demonstrate who is skilled. Rounding the number up to 500 from top 50 would be a waste because for that amount of shoddy players that play on a constant basis, you would have people on the leader-boards who is not as skilled as others. Also, sb2 is more important then expanding the leader-boards. A worthy idea, but it's just not suited.
The leaderboard still will show who the skilled ones are. If you add another 450 to that list, its not going to take away from the skill of the top 50. It will also show those other 450 where they are in relation to the rest of them, and who all is between them.

On Shoddy currently there is also no way to check your own position on the leaderboard unless you are in the top 50. I support revealing the top 500 on the leaderboard because it would give the players a sense of progress on the ladder while not devaluing a high position. People never brag in their sigs by just saying they have been on the leaderboard, they say what ranking they got instead.
500 though? Maybe 100 but 500 is pretty extreme.

Reverb

World's nicest narcissist
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
500 though? Maybe 100 but 500 is pretty extreme.
Top 50 is fine. It is not very difficult to get a CRE of ~1525. A mediocre battler should be able to do it just by committing time to laddering.

Eh. Just saying if its risen at all, 100 should be the most lol. Yeah I found that once I built a half decent team getting to the leaderboard was pretty easy. Just use strategized stuff and it works ._.

I agree, the leaderboard should be limited to 50 which is a good amount in my opinion. However, it would be nice to see a feature which shows your overall ranking like on the CAP server.

What could be suggested, is writing a script that can tell you your current rank is compared to registered shoddy players on the actual game its self. That way, you know where you are, but you don't have to change the leaderboards at all. Of course, this is all just wishful thinking. SB2 is far more important then this, as well as finish up some clauses and suspects.

Just scanning over this, i think a cool idea would be percentiles. so, when you right click your name, it tells you what percentage of players your better than. like "34%" would mean you are better than 34% of the players registered. Or, for a broader idea, percentiles by 10%. Top 10%, 20%, 30%, etc.

The only obstacle would be the number of innactive accounts, the number of which, i dont know.

Yeah, I agree with The Chaser. On the CaP server, Doug's bot "HAL9000" can be messaged for your rankings. It tells you the top 5 spots and their estimates, and then it says, your rank: x.

Obviously, I don't think SU plans on using a bot anytime soon, but it'd be nice if this was an included feature in SB2.

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
A feature that shows your overall ranking would probably be very hard to implement. There's many shoddy accounts and that's including everyone's alts. And every time someone wins a match, many different accounts' ranking has to change.

However, I do feel that changing the leaderboard to the top 100 is good. 100 is a more appealing number, and the number of people who play shoddy is far greater than the number who played when the top 50 leaderboard was introduced. 500 is a bit far though and doesn't have the appeal of 100.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)