Toxicroak (QC Reject: 3/3)

Overview
########

Pros:
-Decent attack stat
-Extremely powerful STAB attacks available such as Gunk Shot and Focus Punch. Gunk Shot is so powerful that it even allows Toxicroak to be one of the very few Pokemon that can completely break down Mega Venusaur without even using a super effective attack.
-Having STAB Drain Punch and strong priority in Sucker Punch.
-Amazing ability in Dry Skin, allowing it to be one of the best checks to very powerful threats such as Azumarill and Keldeo and being a perfect stop to water spam in general. Dry Skin also works incredibly well in the rain and with Drain Punch to have unrivaled survivability for such an offensive Pokemon.

Cons:
-Very poor bulk
-Mediocre speed can cause Sucker Punch to be out sped by faster Pokemon with priority of their own.
-Dry Skin relies heavily in Rain being active, and Generation 6 has brought a nerf to the ability Drizzle.
-Dry Skin can at times even hurt you with the omnipresent Mega Charizard Y, a new Drought user of Generation 6.

Swords Dance
########
name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Gunk Shot
move 3: Drain Punch
move 4: Sucker Punch
ability: Dry Skin
item: Life Orb
evs: 4 Hp / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
nature: Adamant

Moves
========
  • Swords Dance is a move that can be used situationally to do massive damage to bulkier Pokemon and potentially sweep.
  • Gunk Shot is you main STAB attack. Although it has shaky accuracy, it hits disgustingly hard and has a 30% chance to poison the enemy which provides useful chip damage.
  • Drain Punch is your secondary STAB that can also be used to recover Life Orb recoils and other such damage.
  • Sucker Punch is the final move that provides extremely useful priority that is mandatory due to Toxicroak's relatively mediocre base Speed stat.
  • If you desire, Knock of or Ice Punch may be used in the place of Swords Dance for an all-out-attacker set. Knock Off is a more powerful Dark-type attack that possesses the utility of knocking off the opposing Pokemon's items. Ice Punch annihilates Ground-types such as both Landorus formes and Garchomp that want to try and switch in and hit Toxicroak Super Effectively. It also does large damage to Dragon-types that are 4x weak to Ice-type attacks.

Set Details
========
  • Max Attack EVs is to help you pack the greatest punch possible and max Speed EVs are to allow you to oustpeed as many Pokemon as possible.
  • Life Orb and an Adamant Nature also help Toxicroak hit as hard as he can and both are necessary to be able to 2 hit KO Mega Venusau with Gunk Shot, one of the greatest aspects of Toxicroak.
  • Dry Skin, Toxicroak's preferable ability, is very useful in the rain. It allows you to completely negate Life Orb recoil and even gain more health than is lost from Life Orb recoil.
Usage Tips
========
  • If SD is used, use it whenever you get the opportunity to dismantle the enemy's defensive core and possible sweep Toxicroak's counters are absent.
  • If the all-out-attacker set is used, simply try to nuke as many things as possible with Gunk Shot and harass the enemy by removing their items if you use Knock Off.
  • Magnezone traps and OHKOs Skarmory, one of Toxicroak's biggest counters.

Team Options
========
  • Politoed is a great partner for Toxicroak as Drizzle activates rain which activates Toxicroak's awesome ability.
  • Pokemon that like Azumarill gone such as Mega Charizard X have good synergy.

Other Options
########

-SubPunch
-SubBulkUp

Checks & Counters
########
  • CharY
  • Skarmory
  • Talonflame
  • Hippowdon
  • Garchomp
  • Scizor
  • Gengar with sub
  • Aegislash
  • Gliscor & Landorus-T if Ice Punch isn't used

Last edited:

TheManlyLadybug

Banned deucer.
For OO include a Bulk Up and a Nasty Plot set. For C&C, mention Flying Priority from Talonflame and Mega Pinsir. Also mention strong, fast Psychic-types such as Deoxys-S, Alakazam, and Azelf.

Will add more later.

For OO include a Bulk Up and a Nasty Plot set. For C&C, mention Flying Priority from Talonflame and Mega Pinsir. Also mention strong, fast Psychic-types such as Deoxys-S, Alakazam, and Azelf.

Will add more later.
The only Psychic-type out of those three that isn't maimed by a boosted Sucker Punch is SashZam everything else succumbs to it. Also Nasty Plot is way too weak and outclassed for this meta and it really shouldn't get a mention. Base 86 is not even that strong after a Nasty Plot so I wouldn't bother. IIRC Azelf got rejected not once, but twice for an analysis so do not mention it. If you are going to mention Psychic-types mention something like Lati@s (again SD Sucker Punch OHKOs them so they are only shaky checks really.)

TheManlyLadybug

Banned deucer.
The only Psychic-type out of those three that isn't maimed by a boosted Sucker Punch is SashZam everything else succumbs to it. Also Nasty Plot is way too weak and outclassed for this meta and it really shouldn't get a mention. Base 86 is not even that strong after a Nasty Plot so I wouldn't bother. IIRC Azelf got rejected not once, but twice for an analysis so do not mention it. If you are going to mention Psychic-types mention something like Lati@s (again SD Sucker Punch OHKOs them so they are only shaky checks really.)
Oops, completely forgot about Sucker Punch. Out of the Pokémon I suggested, just mention Flying Priority and Sash Alakazam for C&C. Also, mention Mega Charizard Y as a check, as it changes the weather and OHKOes with Fire Blast if I'm not mistaken.

I think (fast) Psychic-types can be mentioned in C&C, just not the ones you mentioned. For example:

252+ Atk Life Orb Toxicroak Sucker Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Latias: 237-281 (78.4 - 93%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Life Orb Toxicroak Sucker Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Gardevoir: 155-182 (55.7 - 65.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Life Orb Toxicroak Sucker Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Medicham: 125-147 (47.7 - 56.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Life Orb Toxicroak Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 165-195 (41.8 - 49.4%) -- 25.8% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Ofc they become less of checks after Toxicroak uses Swords Dance, but still, non-boosted and non-STAB Sucker Punch isn't the solution to every problem Toxicroak has.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
-Amazing ability in Dry Skin, allowing it to be one of the best counters to very powerful threats such as Azumarill and Keldeo
Play Rough absolutely mauls Croak, and Keldeo's Secret Sword does 57%. It's good for when you know either is choice locked in a water move or if Azumarill is currently BellyJetting, but it still not a perfect counter. I'd say it perfectly checks Azumarill, and checks Keldeo locked into Scald or Hydro Pump.

One other thing work mentioning is that it's immune to Scald, which allows the rain team to handle the enemy's otherwise rain boosted Scalds much easier.

Play Rough absolutely mauls Croak, and Keldeo's Secret Sword does 57%. It's good for when you know either is choice locked in a water move or if Azumarill is currently BellyJetting, but it still not a perfect counter. I'd say it perfectly checks Azumarill, and checks Keldeo locked into Scald or Hydro Pump.

One other thing work mentioning is that it's immune to Scald, which allows the rain team to handle the enemy's otherwise rain boosted Scalds much easier.
Yeah, I should've said checks.

Mention SubPunch in OO, Mention Ice Punch in Swords Dance set over Gunk Shot,
In C&C mention CharY. And sun / sand / hail teams in general.

Last edited:
I don't think two sets are really necessary. The second set is literally just the first set without SD. Unless there is a specific reason for having them separate, IMO a mention of an all out attacker should just be placed into set details along with an explanation of its benefits over the SD set and the slight variation in how they should be played.

I don't think two sets are really necessary. The second set is literally just the first set without SD. Unless there is a specific reason for having them separate, IMO a mention of an all out attacker should just be placed into set details along with an explanation of its benefits over the SD set and the slight variation in how they should be played.
Good idea, my original reason for making them separate sets was because each of them, at least in my experience, play differently enough, such that it warranted a separate set. Looking back on the decision, I think it would be more suitable to just put the all-out-attacker set in the set details of the SD set.

I agree that you can combine the two sets and just mention all three options in the last slot. Swords Dance is just something that you use situationally if the opportunity arises, not something that it needs, so it doesn't really play differently. Make the one that you think is best the first slash, then mention the other two in moves.

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
I know this is generally a lower tier thing but how about Nasty Plot for Other Options:

name: Nasty Plot
move 1: Nasty Plot
move 2: Sludge Wave (it needs the consistent power > higher poison chance because of how bad its bulk is)
move 3: Vacuum Wave
move 4: Shadow Ball / Hidden Power (Ice)
ability: Dry Skin
item: Life Orb
ivs: 0 Atk
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
nature: Modest

If this is even worth mentioning, it shouldn't leave other options. All this does is add a bit of unpredictability to an otherwise stale Toxicroak. I have seen other people use it and I myself have used it and it does OK at best. I thought I would just throw this set out there and see if it sticks.

I wouldn't add this without QC input since it is a stretch, even for Other Options.

Will more than likely say more when this is out of WIP

Last edited:

HypnoEmpire

Yokatta...
How well could a Substitute Bulk Up set fare? It would work well with Sucker Punch to nail Focus Sashed Alakazam and with Drain Punch, you can get any lost health back. This set would work even better with some Drought support because then Toxicroak will be getting recovery from Dry Skin, Black Sludge, and Drain Punch. As you already said, the nerf to rain hurts it, so this set isn't exactly the most reliable, and if Gunk Shot is the only reason for using Toxicroak in OU, then maybe just include it in Other Options.

CyclicCompound

is a bicycle person thing
is a Contributor Alumnus
It's a little weird how in the overview you're mentioning Ice Punch and Knock Off as being "great coverage" and "utility," respectively, when they're not even on the main set.

(Note: I'm not saying they SHOULD be on the main set, but they shouldn't be mentioned as major reasons to use Toxicroak if they aren't good options, which they're not.)

Shouldn't Landorus-t and Gliscor be mentioned in the C&C? bout of those can potentially outspeed an KO with EQ.

Also, I remember from last gen that LO sets used Cross Chop over Drain Punch since Toxicroak attack is not really high; while bulky sets prefer Drain Punch (and they were a perfect counter to Keldeo by the way =p)

I think faster fighting types or Mach Punch users are excellent teammates as they can take on the faster things that resist Sucker Punch. Mainly Conkeldurr, as he also apreciates Azumarill gone. As for OO, it's really only SubPunch and Ice Punch, Earthquake, Super Fang, Stone Edge, and Knock Off. EDIT: Slash Cross Chop with Drain Punch.

It was sort of mentioned in the original post, but the SubBulkUP set should not be overlooked

244 HP / 252 Def / 12 Spd
-impish w/ black sludge
move 1: substitute
move 2: bulk up
move 3: drain punch
move 4: sucker punch

This set makes Toxicroak an absolute physical wall if politoed can get the rain up for a few turns. It's best if if can switch in on a wall like ferrothron, get behind a sub and start using bulk up. Drain punch more than takes care of the HP lost from subs especially after a boost or two. And sucker punch takes care of special psychic types like Espeon and the lati twins that would otherwise ruin his day. If you can take account for threats w/ EQ and fast special attackers, it can sweep. Attack investment isn't necessary because you want to be able to tank the initial hits well while bulk ups are getting set up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)