VGC TR Nihilego in VGC 2017

I know that most people think that support Nihilego won't work, and I was one of those people... Or at least at first I was. The Nihilego was honestly supposed to be a gimmick set to troll people with, but as I used it, it proved to be incredibly effective at supporting the team and tanking hits. It was so successful, in fact, that I was able to place within the top 25% at an official VGC 2017 Regionals event and I'd like to share it with the Smogon community as well as the partners that made it so successful.

Nihilego @ Grassy Seed
Ability: Beast Boost
Level: 50
EVs: 228 HP / 152 Def / 84 SpA / 44 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Power Gem
- Acid Spray
- Trick Room
- Protect

This odd Nihilego set definitely raised a lot of eyebrows at regionals, but as the battles played out, my opponents came to respect it and even fear it. Some even thought it was genius. Originally chosen as a gimmick, it has proven itself worthy of a spot on my team because of its access to TR and Acid Spray and its Rock/Poison typing, which gives it advantages against some of the meta's top threats like the Tapus and Arcanine. When paired with Tapu Bulu and Torkoal, this guy becomes a monstrous tank with 213 HP, 141 Def and 157 SpD. To demonstrate just how bulky this is with support from Torkoal and Bulu...
  • 252 Atk Choice Band Garchomp Earthquake vs. +1 228 HP / 152+ Def Nihilego in Grassy Terrain: 168-196 (78.8 - 92%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252+ Atk Water Bubble Araquanid Liquidation vs. +1 228 HP / 148+ Def Nihilego in Sun: 90-108 (42.2 - 50.7%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO
  • 252+ Atk Celesteela Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. +1 228 HP / 152+ Def Nihilego: 162-192 (76 - 90.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252+ SpA Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 228 HP / 44 SpD Nihilego in Psychic Terrain: 194-230 (91 - 107.9%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
  • 252+ SpA Choice Specs Wailord Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 228 HP / 44 SpD Nihilego in Sun: 92-110 (43.1 - 51.6%) -- 5.9% chance to 2HKO

Torkoal @ Firium Z
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 228 SpA / 28 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Eruption
- Solar Beam
- Heat Wave
- Protect

I chose Torkoal for its raw power, the ability to OHKO Celesteela and the Drought ability, which helps Nihilego deal with Water-Types and also helps Trevenant's Harvest. The HP and SpD EVs let it survive a Specs Fini's Hydro Pump in the sun while also letting it survive Araquanid's Z-Liquidation in sun. Solar Beam is there for bulky Water-Types and it also gets boosted by Bulu's Grassy Terrain. I chose Firium Z as its item because it allows Torkoal to deal massive damage to just about anything while also being able to pick off weakened foes through Protect.

Trevenant @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Harvest
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Def / 164 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Horn Leech
- Will-O-Wisp
- Trick Room
- Protect

Trevenant may seem like an odd choice, especially next to a Torkoal, but being immune to both Fake Out and Sleep Powder was enough for me to consider it as a choice. Unlike Gengar, Trevenant can actually take a hit. The EVs allow it to almost always avoid a 2HKO from Karana's Night Slash and also gives it a 5/8 chance to survive a LO Gengar's Shadow Ball and avoid the OHKO from Pheromosa's LO Ice Beam. Horn leech is there for recovery as well as a way of picking off weakened opponents while also ruining Gastrodon's day in Grassy Terrain. Will-o-Wisp is there to weaken powerful physical attackers like Weavile, Kartana, Garchomp and Celesteela.

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Def / 172 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Shadow Ball
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

I chose Porygon2 because I needed something that can reliably tank the things that Trevenant and Nihilego couldn't, like Marowak. It survives Marowak's Flare Blitz in the sun and survives Lele's Z-Psychic in Psychic Terrain. Shadow Ball is aimed straight at Marowak's face and Ice Beam is aimed straight at Garchomp's face while Thunderbolt is aimed straight at Gyarados's and Pelipper's faces. I gave it a Quiet Nature to give it a 100% chance to OHKO standard Kartana with Ice Beam.

Tapu Bulu @ Leftovers
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Atk / 84 Def / 116 SpD
Brave Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Rock Slide
- Substitute
- Protect

I chose Tapu Bulu for its ability to summon Grassy Terrain, which weakens Earthquake. The EVs in Def lets Bulu almost always survive Garchomp's Poison Jab and the SpD EVs gives it a very high chance to survive Pelipper's Hurricane. The EVs in Atk allow it OHKO Garchomp with Wood Hammer should I choose to give it a Miracle Seed. Rock Slide is there for utility, Sash-breaking and flinch hax. Substitue is there because I had some extra room and I figured that it'd be a good idea to have that there to discourage the use of Protect.

Hariyama @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 116 Def / 140 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab
- Fake Out

I chose Hariyama for the last slot on my team for its ability to murder things my team might otherwise struggle with, such as Goodra and opposing Porygon2. Since Hariyama has such a high HP stat that I didn't even bother to invest in it at all. I run the Assault Vest instead of your typical Flame Orb because of how easily it can just get nuked by Lele and Fini. The Adamant Nature with 0 Spe EVs puts it at a speed stat of 55, exactly 1 point faster than Trevenant so I can have it use W-o-W on Hariyama before it attacks under the effects of TR. I also chose to run the AV because I needed the Fake Out, CC, Knock Off and Poison Jab for my team and I couldn't afford to lose that essential bulk.

Are there any glaring flaws that I missed? Any ways I could improve upon this team? Suggestions not involving getting rid of Nihilego?

Hey mate,

Loving your team setup, I'm going to give it a go now. I'm a bit fan of Nihilego and feel its under appreciated.

I'll add on any extra feedback after have a few games with it. It looks sweet. Any pointers for lead 'mons or I guess it would vary from what my opponent has. I looks like torkoal/Trev or Nihil/Bulu.

Cheers for the submission.

Actually, I generally lead with Torkoal and Nihil, then immediately switch Torkoal with Bulu to catch the foe off guard

Loving that Porygon2, I use the hidden ability Analytic with 0 Spe. Never really thought about having a Trick Room Porygon2, might have to try one out and see if I like it better.

Hey mate,
Really enjoyed using your team, had some great matches with it. I'm no expert with pokemon, I'm just coming onto the competitive scene with SuMo and enjoying it.

Firstly I used it on my 3ds and played rated matches around the 1650-1700 bracket and was getting some great results.
I also used it on Showdown around the 1200 bracket and did well. (New to showdown).

Mostly had trouble with A-Muks and Garchomps/Arcanines. I'm not the best at predicting switches either, and I know a couple of times I could of Ice Beam'd a 'chomp if I had taken the risk. However I found myself not really having an answer for a-muk. I would sometimes save my Z-move for it but yeah, prior I played heavily with a Z-Chomp so they never really gave me that much trouble prior.

I didn't get much use out of Hari/Trev. I only ran into 1 Goodra out of 20 games and didn't bring Hari', luckly I wiped out his 3 other 'mon, while I still had my 4 and he quit :)

All in all, I really liked this team, I was itching to try a different team out. I got sick of the "AFK" combo with chomp/snorlax/a-ninetales in the back.
I plan to continue using it, hopefully give Trev/Hari more of a workout. I was Umm'ing and Ahh'ing about switching Hari out for a mudsdale but I dunno yet.

Cheers again for your team submission

After more time with the team, I had a couple of minor things as well.

I'm switching out Substitute on Tapu Bulu for Taunt, more situational. My prime example are Eevee Z-move Teams, I try and get the fake out on it but it's a clafairy/fake out'mon stopping me, If I had taunt/trick room up, then at least I could prevent it switching, I also considered switch Hariyama out and getting the fake off on the 2nd turn to stop baton pass but yeh. Taunt is a favourable move I like to use and Substitute wasn't getting a ton of use.

Muk's/Snorlax are less of a problem thanks too Knock off from Hariyama. Belly drum snorlax is still frustrating though, in the past I would just use Roar to get rid of them :)

Trevenant is probably the least used on the team, I don't see the good opportunities for him to shine, I haven't been faked out on using Trick Room, but I assume its because no one expects that Nihilego has the move.

Would love to get your feedback on my feedback, I feel I'm perhaps just not using Trevenant the right way.

Is Trevenant really necessary on the team? I have been using this team on showdown but never found a time when it was needed. Otherwise, this team is great and I plan to make revisions to it for my next team.

Is Trevenant really necessary on the team? I have been using this team on showdown but never found a time when it was needed. Otherwise, this team is great and I plan to make revisions to it for my next team.
Yes, Trevenant is actually necessary even though you won't use it often. Rain teams and Steel-Types are often unable to break through it. It also provides the team with much more flexibility when it comes to setting up. And thanks! I tried having the team with other TR users, but Trevenant was the best fit in practice.

ATTENTION! I need to make an edit to the Nihilego set! Would you believe that it can be even BULKIER than it already is?

Nihilegov2.0 @ Grassy Seed
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 228 HP / 212 Def / 68 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Power Gem
- Acid Spray
- Trick Room
- Protect

Here are some calcs to show the differences between Nihilego and Nihilegov2.0:

OLD: 252+ SpA Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 228 HP / 44 SpD Nihilego in Psychic Terrain: 194-230 (91 - 107.9%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
NEW: 252+ SpA Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 228 HP / 68 SpD Nihilegov2.0 in Psychic Terrain: 192-228 (90.1 - 107%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

OLD: 252+ SpA Choice Specs Tapu Fini Hydro Pump vs. 228 HP / 44 SpD Nihilego: 192-228 (90.1 - 107%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
NEW: 252+ SpA Choice Specs Tapu Fini Hydro Pump vs. 228 HP / 68 SpD Nihilegov2.0: 186-222 (87.3 - 104.2%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

OLD: 252+ Atk Celesteela Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. +1 228 HP / 152+ Def Nihilego: 162-192 (76 - 90.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
NEW: 252+ Atk Celesteela Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. +1 228 HP / 212 Def Nihilegov2.0: 162-192 (76 - 90.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

As you can see, Nihilego2.0 is slightly bulkier than its previous version on the special side while retaining 100% of the physical bulk. The best part about Nihilegov2.0 is that no EVs go to waste!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)