Trying out Offense

Well, I've played Stall for just about forever, and I decided to take a break from it (largely because every team I make seems to end up becoming Obi's team to some degree or other)
So, here's what I've got so far:

Bronzong (Saber) @ Macho Brace
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Sassy
252 HP/84 Atk/80 Def/ 92 Sp. Def
Trick
Stealth Rock
Gyro Ball
Earthquake

Nicknames are from the Fate/Stay Night series, if anyone really cares

So, the lead and a general wall. This Bronzong I've found to be a fairly good lead. SR is obvious (though I never use it first turn.) I use Macho Brace over Choice Band as an item because I like the freedom to switch attacks and if I mispredict with Choice Band, I could get it on something that benefits from it, while nothing really gains from getting a Macho Brace. I use Heatproof over Levitate because the only lead that uses Earthquake is Aero (and he always SRs or Taunts for his first turn), and Infernape and Azelf both use fire moves. Have also used him to kill Heatran several times.

Tyrannitar(Gilgamesh) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sandstream
Nature: Quiet
252 HP/52 Atk/28 Speed/176 Sp. Atk
Substitute
Focus Punch
Flamethrower
Dark Pulse

Hey, something which isn't seen much anymore - Tyranniboah! Largely a wallbreaker, though he can sweep if given the right circumstances. Also sets up a Sandstorm which is useful for this team. SubPunch and Dark Pulse are self-explanatory, and Flamethrower is for steel types, especially Scizor and Skarm.

Flygon (Archer) @ Choice Band
Nature: Adamant
80 HP/252 Atk/176 Spd
Outrage
Earthquake
U-Turn
Fire Punch

This thing is really awesome, and cause havoc if I can remove an opponent's steels or levitators with the appropriate move. U-turn is for scouting purposes, and I chose Fire Punch for steels, particularly Bronzong. Largely exists to weaken and scout the opposing team.

Blissey(Caster) @Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
Nature: Bold
200 HP/252 Def/ 56 Sp. Def
Aromatherapy
Softboiled
Flamethrower
Toxic

I had Cradily, but it was recommeneded to switch to Blissey, and I guess I'm glad I took it. It really serves as a special wall, but unlike Cradily helps deal with status problems and can spread toxic to annoying walls such as Vappy and Hippo. The Flamethrower and Toxic combo are used because I already have some who can deal with Heatran (Cune, Tar, Flygon as a revenge-killer).

Breloom (Lancer)@Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
44 HP/252 Atk/ 212 Speed
Spore
Substitute
Focus Punch
Leech Seed

Probably the weakest link on my team. Serves to grind down opponents and work on absorbing status. There's not much to be said - put stuff to sleep, beat them up with Focus Punches with Breloom's good attack, and Leech Seed to help my team out.

Suicune(Berserker) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
252 HP/252 Def/4 Spd
Rest
Hidden Power Electric
Calm Mind
Surf

My cleaner-upper and another status taker. He can take sleeping moves, and status in general, and then comes back in to sweep when my team's weakened. I have also used him as a makeshift special wall. I am liking the change to Hidden Power electric, as it means that I have a reliable answer to Gyarados.
Well, that's all that needs to be said. Any comments?

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Ok, this team has problems if Gyarados or Salamance set up a DD. Bronzong can absorb Salamance's Outrages, but its vulnerable to Fire Blast, and he doesn't do enough damage with Gyro Ball if Macho Brace is absent. Tricking a Macho Brace means Gyarados or Salamance could set up +2 DDs, which makes up for the speed loss. I would change Suicune's movepool to Surf, Ice Beam, HP Electric and Rest, but Rest has its obvious problems.

Cradily is your special wall, but he doesn't have the stats for it, even with Sandstorm running rampant. Replace Cradily with a cleric Blissey. This also solves the Rest problem, and your team's Burn weakness (as all your pokemon except Suicune attack on the physical spectrum, and Breloom will hate swapping into Will o Wisp if Toxic Orb hasn't activated yet).

I decided against a Wish Blissey, because no one in your team is weak to SR (and half your team resists it), half your team has leftovers and Breloom has "double leftovers and status immunity" after one turn.

You should switch Bronzong with Ttar so that you get a quick start, change Ttar to the Focus sashing set, and you now have a much better team.

With the team you have now, Cacturne might be able to see some play here, if you say that you don't like Breloom, Cacturne gets Sand veil, and is overall a very strong asset to any sandstorm team.

Legacy Raider

sharpening his claws, slowly
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey

Instead of Macho Brace, your Bronzong could be tricking Iron Ball instead. Iron Ball halves speed just like Macho Brace, but makes flying and Levitating pokemon susceptible to Ground attacks. Since Bronzong is Heatproof this won't make any difference to it, but it means that things like Zapdos will be hit super effectively by Earthquake, and Gyarados and Salamence will no longer be able to switch in on your Flygon nearly as easily. Better yet, they still take the 25% damage from Stealth Rock, so it's a win win situation for you.

Cradily wants Rock Slide > Stone Edge, as it will be sticking around for quite a while. Once you've SDed up, the power difference will be making little difference, while you really will notice the increase in accuracy and pp. Also, I would change Cradily's EV spread around to make it more defensive, and in doing so letting it get more SDs up. The spread I would use is Careful with 252 HP, 160 Def, 96 SpD. It means you can take on things like Heatran and Starmie a lot easier, as well as guaranteeing you survive 1 LO Scizor Bullet Punch, and giving you a 75% chance to survive its X-Scissor. Oh and I don't really see how Swampert will be causing Cradily problems - it can't Roar Cradily out and it has no recovery, and so is set up fodder.

Your team is quite vulnerable to Scizor overall, with Suicune being the only thing that can really take him on. In battle would save Breloom's Spore for when you are faced with a Scizor, as it can survive a +2 Bullet Punch and put Scizor to sleep. Also, I like how your Tyranitar acts as a lure for Scizor, and can sub on the switch and flamethrower to take it out.

Anyway, nice team you have here. Hope I help.

LR.

Hey, thanks for the rates:

@Darknessmalice: The burn weakness is troubling, but I normally order Suicune to take them, as well as Breloom. However, I really don't feel like using Blissey - she doesn't deal with Heatran or the bulky waters as well.

@LR: Using Rock Slide and the EV spread do make sense, as well as Iron Ball. Thanks.

I have observed the Scizor weakness, and I have been thinking about replacing Breloom with Zapdos, probably with T-Bolt/HP Ice/Roar/Roost. Any comments?

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
lets do this thang

Bronzong (Saber) @ Macho Brace
Ability: Heatproof
Nature: Sassy
252 HP/84 Atk/80 Def/ 92 Sp. Def
Trick
Stealth Rock
Gyro Ball
Earthquake

Bronzong is a really interesting pokemon since he can do so many different things. He's slow as anything but that never really hinders him. So, instead of Macho Brace, which only halfs speed, may I suggest Lagging Tail. It makes the pokemon always go last, for someone like Bronzong that doesn't really matter, but for someone like a Gyrados or a Salamence than it causes hell. Why Heatproof on Bronzong? sure, Heatran will get a surprising kill, but now Earthquake will be spammed like a mother, and Flygon's the only pokemon you have that can switch into Earthquake without taking any damage. You have no Heatran weakness since you carry Tyranitar and 'Cune. Change it to levitate.

Tyrannitar(Gilgamesh) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sandstream
Nature: Quiet
252 HP/52 Atk/28 Speed/176 Sp. Atk
Substitute
Focus Punch
Flamethrower
Dark Pulse

I love BOAH. It really is under rated. It mits in nicely with all the Scizors and Heatrans running around. I can't really find a change for this.

Flygon (Archer) @ Choice Band
80 HP/252 Atk/176 Spd
Outrage
Earthquake
U-Turn
Fire Punch

Flygon is a great pokemon, but the problem I see here is with your EV spread. Unless you find that you don't need to worry about a certain speed threat then please explain the 176 speed please. Or if the 80 HP lets you survive a certain hit then please don't take my suggestion into account. I say you should just Max his speed so you can hit faster. That's just me though.

Cradily(Caster) @Leftovers
Ability: Suction Cups
252 HP/252 Atk/ 4 Sp. Def
Swords Dance
Recover
Stone Edge
Earthquake

I must agree with LR (if he's the one who suggested it) Blissey would have a much easier time filling the role of a Special Wall. On top of that Blissey can be a Cleric and a great status spreader in todays game. Though the sets have changed quite a bit.

Blissey @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
200 HP 252 Def 56 SpDef
Natural Cure
- Flamethrower
- Toxic
- Softboiled
- Aromathrapy

The 200 in HP is so you have 700 HP, the 252 Def is to max your survivibility since Blissey defense is nothing but shit. The 56SDef I guess is mostly a filler since you don't need to put it anywhere else. Flamethrower provides cover for those damn Scizor switch ins and Toxic hurts bulky sweepers like Suicune and Zapdos over time. This set does shit to Heatran though, but your team should have little to no problem with him.

Breloom (Lancer)@Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
44 HP/252 Atk/ 212 Speed
Spore
Substitute
Focus Punch
Leech Seed

I've always like Breloom, he's a pretty interesting pokemon. Immunity to Posion, and actually benefits from Toxic Orb. a 100% Acc sleep move and STAB Focus Punch. There isn't much to change on this Breloom set besides you may want to try Seed Bomb over leech seed so you can touch Hippo's and Gliscors to an extent.

Suicune(Berserker) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
252 HP/252 Def/4 Spd
Rest
Sleep Talk
Calm Mind
Surf

Suicune is bulky enough to survive with out sleep talk. Put Hidden Power [ELECTRIC] in over Sleep Talk to make Gyrados fear you. other than that this is A-OK

Legacy Raider

sharpening his claws, slowly
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The only problem is Lagging Tail is not implemented into Shoddy. Otherwise yeah, I would have recommended it too =).

The 176 Speed lets Flygon outspeed neutral scarfed base 90s like Porygon-z and Lucario.

LR.

Minor nitpickage as usual. Change Tyraniboah's EV spread. This is a problem we should address in the analysis :-(.

252 HP / 188 SpA / 68 Spe

Jumpman's old advanced spread is still the best. Blissey isn't the only thing Tyranitar should be outspeeding. You still should outspeed Swampert and the rare Weezing. But Swampert is really the key, as Flinches can hinder its ability to counter you. The attack EVs are unnecessary since its not doing anything different with Focus Punch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)