Unpopular opinions

Meant more Misty fans like her for the same reasons Genwunners are like that: nostalgia and being first.
Don't forget to include the need to use mental gymnastics to make her more important than what she is or only riding on the dub while forgetting most of her "scenes" don't even exist in the original.

You know, at first Misty was OK, but she lost her funny reaction faces in OI and then lost almost all her personality unless there was a Togepi episode or we where at the whirl cup in Johto.

Rewatching the original series up to Hoenn really demolishes all respect you might have for that character, Johto having the second biggest filler gap after Sinnoh doesn't help it.

I must say it's just nostalgia fueled by a minority that seeks to convince people to believe in what they remember, even if they don't remember it right at all.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Seriously how on earth can one perceive the unova dex to be uninspired when even shit like gothithele takes the astral body concept beyond its logical progression and we get genius stuff like scrafty and reuninclus in dex, heck even maractus manages to be adorable despite its predecessor being the adorable creeper it has become in 3d.
My take on this, and I've said it several times in here: Roughly half the Unova Dex is uninspired, the other is genial.

Up until Zorua or so, you could find an analogous previous-gen Pokémon for almost every single Unova Pokémon. It's as if the concept of regional birds and rodents were suddenly expanded to include around 70 Pokémon, including the strangely specific "gray, bipedal, three-stage Fighting-type which reaches its final stage by trading", "Psychic-type tapir whose schtick is related to sleeping", "duo of single-stage Fighting-types heavily themed to specific martial arts", "Three-stage Rock-type evolving at lvl 25 and again when traded", "three-stage Water-type tadpole found in early-game ponds", "Two-stage waste-based pure Poison-type found in grass around the fourth Gym, evolving around level 37"... and who can honestly tell Purrloin and Glameow apart at a glance? I keep thinking Purrloin evolves into Purugly, but they're not related.

However, the latter half of the Unova dex is beautifully crafted, with lots of inspiring designs unlike anything we had seen before. A Psychic line with the theme of cell division. Chandelier ghosts. Bugs that trade armour upon evolution. Floating Electric lampreys. It isn't a sharp division, but it's there. It's almost as if the designers had already decided on the distribution of Pokémon in the various areas in the first half of the game, before the memo got out that the game had to use new Pokémon only ("...this is where we put Poliwag, and Zubat in this cave, and Sandshrew over there... oh, shoot, we can't use them!"), so they just made some of the old concepts into new Pokémon ("Uh, here's Tympole, Woobat and Drilbur!"). With that out of the way, they could finally let the creative juices flow, and make new Pokémon as they pleased.

My take on this, and I've said it several times in here: Roughly half the Unova Dex is uninspired, the other is genial.

Up until Zorua or so, you could find an analogous previous-gen Pokémon for almost every single Unova Pokémon. It's as if the concept of regional birds and rodents were suddenly expanded to include around 70 Pokémon, including the strangely specific "gray, bipedal, three-stage Fighting-type which reaches its final stage by trading", "Psychic-type tapir whose schtick is related to sleeping", "duo of single-stage Fighting-types heavily themed to specific martial arts", "Three-stage Rock-type evolving at lvl 25 and again when traded", "three-stage Water-type tadpole found in early-game ponds", "Two-stage waste-based pure Poison-type found in grass around the fourth Gym, evolving around level 37"... and who can honestly tell Purrloin and Glameow apart at a glance? I keep thinking Purrloin evolves into Purugly, but they're not related.

However, the latter half of the Unova dex is beautifully crafted, with lots of inspiring designs unlike anything we had seen before. A Psychic line with the theme of cell division. Chandelier ghosts. Bugs that trade armour upon evolution. Floating Electric lampreys. It isn't a sharp division, but it's there. It's almost as if the designers had already decided on the distribution of Pokémon in the various areas in the first half of the game, before the memo got out that the game had to use new Pokémon only ("...this is where we put Poliwag, and Zubat in this cave, and Sandshrew over there... oh, shoot, we can't use them!"), so they just made some of the old concepts into new Pokémon ("Uh, here's Tympole, Woobat and Drilbur!"). With that out of the way, they could finally let the creative juices flow, and make new Pokémon as they pleased.
No wonder, the normal concensus is that BW catches up after pinwheel forest, and that's where that division happens.

Still, the Gigalith and Conkeldurr line feel different enough from their predecessors in my eyes, they took a concept and expanded it, then they took a joke and build upon it. Also the execution of Lilligant+Whimsicott feels a bit better than the leaf stone Duo in RBY where they where very overlapping in roles aside from razor blade and absorb spam.

Also Scolipede for being an ingame wrecking ball only made better in B2W2 where this thing can carry the game alone after driftveil(aqua tail+Megahorn and dig) as there are only 2 freaking Pokémon that actually resist it's stabs and are bulky enough to survive the coverage.

Even when going back I can't hate the bug homages, they where so freaking well placed in the game to be pseudo Nidoking.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Hm, maybe I will comment on some things:

My opionion pretty much was said by Taistelu:
I don't feel that Pokemon designs needed to stop at any generation. While each generation has its highs and lows of designs, none of them really surpass the other to such a large scale to me. I have Pokemon that I like from all generations. There are some cool designs in Gen 7 that, if Pokemon had stopped new designs at whatever generation, would cease to be. Pokemon designs stopping in general is a weird thought - why bother stopping the creation of what drives the franchise?
I can understand having a preference to a certain Generation's method of Pokemon design. Many people who grew up with Gen I and II liked the simplistic designs, focusing on making them like creatures you imagine possibly existing rather than fantastic beasts with equally fantastic elements. Those who liked Gen IV like QuickBH like how there was almost an equal mix of new designs and evolutions/per-evolutions to older Pokemon. Now all this is alright, I'm not arguing anyone on that perspective, it's unpopular opinion afterall. But why stop?
Not only do other players have different preferences which lean toward later generations, but there is SO much potential with Pokemon design. There are so many animals, mythology, folklore, concepts, and even objects that exist which a Pokemon could be made from, adding unique design ideas as well as depth & maybe mechanics to the game. As we saw with the Ultra Beasts, there are some general Pokemon design conventions that make us able to recognize something at least looks like a Pokemon (the Ultra Beasts being designed to somewhat go outside these conventions to show us this); so it's not like the designers do whatever and call it a Pokemon (I can only imagine the layers of steps, brainstorming, and prototyping a single Pokemon must go through to get approved; especially for Starters, Legendaries, and other popular Pokemon).
Finally, remember that you're not suppose to like every new Pokemon. I actually lie when I say every generation has a type of design, at least for new generations. New generations incorporate all sorts of designs now so that people with many different preferences would like a handful of the new Pokemon. Let's be honest, any generation which we liked the best we're going to wear rose-tinted glasses with, so really what is the "best" design is all a matter of opinion, it's not even debatable since it's so objective.
Indeed, any Pokemon game seems to focus on having a series of great moments instead of making the overall experience amazing. I won't go into specifics, but rather I'm going into what I do think the problems of why we hadn't had a Pokemon game where everyone can agree blew them out of a water (well, a majority at least):

Lack of Taking Risks: Mentioned before, GF has focused on giving Pokemon a general appeal rather focus on one aspect. When I said Pokemon had a series of great moments, actually there's multiple series of great moments depending on what you're into (another problem I'll be going into). GF is afraid of alienating anyone, maybe even afraid with Pokemon being 20 years old they may be losing players now and will lose a larger amount if it looks like they're focusing on one thing those players don't like. This could also be why games feel bloated yet empty at parts, they add new things to attract people but get rid of things to keep from looking old. Speaking of which.

Discarding Mechanics: Many games series start simple but as they release more game they build on previous mechanics which proved to be popular. But Pokemon doesn't do this, frustratingly even. GF has introduced so many well received mechanics which next gen or so they get rid of or downplay due to a mixture of an above mentioned problem: they want to focus on new mechanics and not look old to attract new players.

Player Style: So what type of player are you? Do you like plot/stories or do you prefer simply adventuring? Do you want to constantly be seeing new locations or get to explore locations in depth? Do you like battling or puzzles? All this and more are opposite aspects which GF has to either decide upon or make a compromise with, and all in a limited amount of time. Honestly, at this point I question if there could ever be that "great" Pokemon game unless they decide to take like 10 years to make the next generation of games.

That last problem is actually the nail in the coffin here. There's really no solution here (unless they severely cut back the time they release a new generation of Pokemon).
The Elemental Monkeys are okay, I like seeing them as parallels to the Starters. But let's not get too carried away with making one of every type like the Eeveelutions. I think they work best as a "trio concept". While they should be different types and not repeat, if they make anymore I do think they need a concept which has three parts to it. And being they're monkeys you can use them to reflect aspects of human culture or behavior. Like how about monkey trio based on the three parts of the human conscious: Id (Dark), Ego (Psychic), and Superego (Fighting)?
I like the Eeveelutions as I find them as a neat concept: a Pokemon's who has multiple evolutions to represents the elements. That said, I do believe that some do need a redo to better represent their type. But I do want/hope we get an Eeveelution of every type one day.

The Unova dex doesn't bother me too immensely on concept recycling compared to the discussion I see in general. I think part of it for me is that even a lot of revisited concepts manage to still have distinctive enough designs from their inspiration, whether in finer concept or just design philosophy. Just a couple examples I'd think of

- Golem is kind of a large boulder/rock pile, while Gigalith is very angular and shows where its pieces meet, looks a bit more like Stalactite/Mite formation that a rounded boulder.

- Scolipede I think is self-explanatory. Most other early region bugs were Butterfly or Moth based in some form, or at least Gen 1 did a surprising number of them. Similar for Leavanny

- Conkeldurr looks a bit more sturdily built and heavy, looks more built for a task compared to Machamp, whose body very much looks like it was honed for body building. Conkeldurr's bulky build without looking "sculpted" or chiseled gives the impression is just got that stronger as a consequence/side effect of its habits, while Machamp very much looks like it tries to build muscle mass purely for competition.

- Bouffalant I like more than Tauros just for doing something a bit more distinct. Tauros is just kind of a bull with some more patterns of fur/mane. Bouffalant takes it to a full blow afro. Just think it's more humorous and noticeable.

Overall, I just never was as bothered by the similar concepts in Gen 5, even though I can definitely see them.

Discarding Mechanics: Many games series start simple but as they release more game they build on previous mechanics which proved to be popular. But Pokemon doesn't do this, frustratingly even. GF has introduced so many well received mechanics which next gen or so they get rid of or downplay due to a mixture of an above mentioned problem: they want to focus on new mechanics and not look old to attract new players.
after thinking a bit tho is it just me or does this seem to be a slight trend in modern gaming

of course, my reference pool is crazy limited because i'm the most casual of casuals, but i collect Kirby games and I noticed something similar happening there: 2011's Return to Dreamland introduced super-abilities (idr if that was the proper name for them), and then they weren't in the 2013 spiritual sequel Triple Deluxe in favor of Hypernova, and then that wasn't in 2016's spiritual sequel Planet Robobot in favor of the robot suits

and in ace attorney, the second game introduced series mainstay psyche-locks which continued to the third game (consistency there), then was (mostly - one great exception in the last case) shelved in favor of Apollo's Perceive mechanic (Apollo Justice - 2007), which lost the spotlight to Athena's Mood Matrix (Dual Destinies - 2013), which lost the spotlight to the Divination Seances (Spirit of Justice - 2016). Even in the spin-offs: in Investigations Edgeworth had his Logic power which was novel enough and all the character really needed, but then in Investigations 2 he gets Logic Chess as well.

so is it just me or do long-running game series in general seem to want to show you NEW AND INTERESTING THINGS moreso than developing older things in the modern day?

Codraroll

Cod Mod
The Elemental Monkeys are okay, I like seeing them as parallels to the Starters. But let's not get too carried away with making one of every type like the Eeveelutions. I think they work best as a "trio concept". While they should be different types and not repeat, if they make anymore I do think they need a concept which has three parts to it. And being they're monkeys you can use them to reflect aspects of human culture or behavior. Like how about monkey trio based on the three parts of the human conscious: Id (Dark), Ego (Psychic), and Superego (Fighting)?
I think the Elemental Monkeys are okay too, individually.

It's just that they were never seen individually. In BW, whenever you saw one of them, you could bet your house that the two others would follow suit. If one trainer in one area used one of them, the next one or two trainers you encountered would have the other two. They all appeared in the same areas in the wild. They were all in Small Court/Big Stadium. Morimoto had all three. I was almost surprised that neither of the Unova Champions used them too. Rather than being three different Pokémon, they were like three different Formes of one Pokémon. Their shtick was appearing together, and they did so without fail. Other than that, they were mediocre battlers and rather bland to face.

But they had another annoying aspect too: I don't remember Unova's random route trainers being that varied, especially in BW1. Apart from Team Plasma, trainers tended to use Pokémon found in the grass in the route, meaning that both wild battles and trainer battles pit you against the same Pokémon. The one exception on the trainer side was usually the Elemental Monkeys. They were the only Pokémon to break up the local monotone, the go-to alternative when the designers wanted to sprite up the battles. Local Pokémon or Elemental Monkeys, that's how the trainers rolled. And whenever you saw one, the two others would follow without fail. To be fair, you'd occasionally see Emolga too, that thing was also everywhere. But mostly, the Monkeys appeared as predictable breaks in the monotone of the routes, somehow being even more monotonous than the monotone they were breaking up.

I hate pikachu. I think he is annoying, totally not cute/cool/badass or anything positive you can find. I am not fan of the yellow color however I love electric-types, even the yellow ones (jolteon was practically my luckcharm in gen I). But I can't stand pikachu and his smiling face. His design doesn't make him stand out.
I wouldn't be so harsh toward his evolution Raichu but he looks more like a big yellow common rodent than a really cute/cool/badass pokemon.
The definition of cuteness would be more a pokemon like clefable or eevee but definitly not pikachu or even pichu.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!

It's just that they were never seen individually. In BW, whenever you saw one of them, you could bet your house that the two others would follow suit. If one trainer in one area used one of them, the next one or two trainers you encountered would have the other two. They all appeared in the same areas in the wild. They were all in Small Court/Big Stadium. Morimoto had all three. I was almost surprised that neither of the Unova Champions used them too. Rather than being three different Pokémon, they were like three different Formes of one Pokémon. Their shtick was appearing together, and they did so without fail. Other than that, they were mediocre battlers and rather bland to face.

But they had another annoying aspect too: I don't remember Unova's random route trainers being that varied, especially in BW1. Apart from Team Plasma, trainers tended to use Pokémon found in the grass in the route, meaning that both wild battles and trainer battles pit you against the same Pokémon. The one exception on the trainer side was usually the Elemental Monkeys. They were the only Pokémon to break up the local monotone, the go-to alternative when the designers wanted to sprite up the battles. Local Pokémon or Elemental Monkeys, that's how the trainers rolled. And whenever you saw one, the two others would follow without fail. To be fair, you'd occasionally see Emolga too, that thing was also everywhere. But mostly, the Monkeys appeared as predictable breaks in the monotone of the routes, somehow being even more monotonous than the monotone they were breaking up.
I think people have an issue against them because of how they are 3 Pokemon instead of 3 forms-- they are a waste of 6 slots in the Pokedex in total if evolutions are included.
It makes people feel like it's basically the same thing but they have to make 3 / 6 of them.

If they are forms of 1 Pokemon instead of being treated as 3 different Pokemon, they would have been way cooler.

There's that - they would have been way cooler and more creative as a single 'mon - but from a design perspective it's also annoying. The first gym in BW was the type advantageous against your starter - that's a cool idea and I like it. But then since there's only three Pokémon you can catch and two of those suck, when you're handed an Elemental Monkey it just makes the whole concept seem very pointless and autoplay. Use this monkey to win because there's little to no other way to. I get the idea is to teach type advantages and disadvantages but this is just so lazy.

I think people have an issue against them because of how they are 3 Pokemon instead of 3 forms-- they are a waste of 6 slots in the Pokedex in total if evolutions are included.
It makes people feel like it's basically the same thing but they have to make 3 / 6 of them.

If they are forms of 1 Pokemon instead of being treated as 3 different Pokemon, they would have been way cooler.
I agree. I certainly did not find Ocorino as annoying as the monkeys eventhough they reuse the same gimmick. It's poor execution on Game Freak's part.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
I agree. I certainly did not find Ocorino as annoying as the monkeys eventhough they reuse the same gimmick. It's poor execution on Game Freak's part.
It also helps that the Oricorio forms appear separately most of the time. True, you may find some trainers which use two or more forms, but you don't get the full set of 4 slammed in your face on every other route throughout the game.

It also helps that the Oricorio forms appear separately most of the time. True, you may find some trainers which use two or more forms, but you don't get the full set of 4 slammed in your face on every other route throughout the game.
IIRC only the miniboss trainer at Poni Wilds has multiple Oricorio.

But to be fair, the annoyance there comes from the fact every single of those Oricorio are Sashed, rather than the fact it's one Oricorio of each form.

I personally don't mind much about the elemental monkeys - but I guess that's because they are so bland I simply forget about them until they are mentioned.

Last edited:
I remember that with the exception of the one trainer, all the Oricorio trainers use the form for that island alone.

The problem with the monkeys extends throughout most of BW1 (and even 2 to a certain extant) that really turns me off gen 5. In order to keep type advantage, the game railroads you into taking exactly one pokemon for each gym, so without purposefully avoiding it, every playthrough ends up with a similar team. Starter, monkey, Sawk/Throh, and it continues. BW1 is the one time in any Pokemon game I received Surf, and then actually had to hunt for a water type to put it on.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
The Unova dex doesn't bother me too immensely on concept recycling compared to the discussion I see in general. I think part of it for me is that even a lot of revisited concepts manage to still have distinctive enough designs from their inspiration, whether in finer concept or just design philosophy. Just a couple examples I'd think of

- Golem is kind of a large boulder/rock pile, while Gigalith is very angular and shows where its pieces meet, looks a bit more like Stalactite/Mite formation that a rounded boulder.

- Scolipede I think is self-explanatory. Most other early region bugs were Butterfly or Moth based in some form, or at least Gen 1 did a surprising number of them. Similar for Leavanny

- Conkeldurr looks a bit more sturdily built and heavy, looks more built for a task compared to Machamp, whose body very much looks like it was honed for body building. Conkeldurr's bulky build without looking "sculpted" or chiseled gives the impression is just got that stronger as a consequence/side effect of its habits, while Machamp very much looks like it tries to build muscle mass purely for competition.

- Bouffalant I like more than Tauros just for doing something a bit more distinct. Tauros is just kind of a bull with some more patterns of fur/mane. Bouffalant takes it to a full blow afro. Just think it's more humorous and noticeable.

Overall, I just never was as bothered by the similar concepts in Gen 5, even though I can definitely see them.
Let's also not forget how these Pokemon play differently from their Kanto counterpart:

Ponyta family/Blitzle family: An easy one, they're different types. Yes, they're both fast physical attackers, but one is still Fire-type and another Electric-type and that does make a difference. Their Abilities also make them play differently. Ponyta family has a useless Ability, one which increases Fire-type attacks when hit with a Fire-type move, and another which may Burn an opponent which attacks with a contact move. Blitzle family meanwhile redirects Electric moves to itself and increases Special Attack, increases Speed when hit with an Electric-type move, or increases Attack when hit with a Grass-type move. With most of these Abilities you'd use them to switch it, but for different types and may or may not be able to take advantage of the stat/power increase.

Geodude family/Roggenrola family: Similar in type (though Geodude family is part Ground, and if you don't think that's important: Earthquake), similar in stats (Roggenrola family is slower with some more Attack and Special Defense), and similar Abilities (both have Sturdy and Abilities involving Sandstorm). I can see why people might feel they're too conceptual close, but there are differences. Competitively the lower Speed and pure typing I think gives Roggenrola family the edge. Also their Abilities aren't all the same, honestly Geodude family would prefer Sturdy/Rock Head while Roggenrola family has Sand Stream so can more easily find a place on Sandstorm teams.

Zubat family/Woobat family: Different secondary type, Abilities, and numbers of evolution. Swoobat is of course going to pale in comparison to Crobat and look inferior in BST. That said stat distribution wise they aren't too different: fast attackers. However Zubat is Physical while Woobat is Special. Finally their Abilities further define their rolls: Zubat family is focused on having its attacks being unimpeded while Woobat family either ignores the opponent's stat changes to do what it wants or is focusing on doubling its own (probably the former as it doesn't get Baton Pass).

Chansey family/Audino: They are both support healers, but in different ways. Chansey is a Styrofoam wall focused on not being afflicted by status ailments while Audino is focused on overall defense and healing itself.

Machop family/Timburr family: Like with Geodude family & Roggenrola family, very similar but I do think the Timburr family is an overall improvement. Timburr family is slightly stronger, slower, and doesn't waste that many points in Special Attack (though Machop family has higher Special Defense). It comes down to Abilities. Machop family is focused on being unimpeded with attacking while Timburr family is focused on increasing their moves Power (which I think works better in the long run).

Hitmons/Throh & Sawk: Similar in stats, you could maybe even see them just being extensions:

Hitmonlee: Low HP, very high Attack, low Defense, decent Speed.
Hitmonchan: Low HP, high Attack, okay Defense, okay Speed.
Hitmontop: Low HP, good Attack, good Defense, okay Speed.
Throh: Very high HP, high Attack, decent Defense, low Speed.
Sawk: Okay HP, very high Attack, okay Defense, decent Speed.

Not to mention Hitmons have high Special Defense while Throh & Sawk are just decent/okay. A combination of their movepool an Abilities is what fully separates them, all focusing on a type of martial arts.

Hitmonlee is taekwondo so focuses on kicks thus the higher Speed, Limber to prevent Paralysis/slowing down, Reckless to increase Jump Kick & High Jumk Kick, and Unburden for more speed.
Hitmonchan is boxing so focuses on punching moves Obviously it got Iron Fist while its other Abilities is just to help it land attacks unimpeded be it by lowered Accuracy or Flinching.
Hitmontop is capoeira. They translated this one interestingly, its more about spinning and since most spinning moves have low Power its given Technician. Intimidate and Steadfast are there for flavor, its so good at dancing/spinning it scares back the opponent or it can't get tripped up.
Throh is judo so it gets throwing and countering moves, thus the lower Speed. Sawk is karate so is more forward offensive with chopping & sweeping moves. Both get Guts and Mold Breaker, Throh gets Sturdy to assure it lands a hit, finally Sawk gets Inner Focus so it doesn't worry about Flinch hax.

With these Pokemon its their battle style is what you need to take into consideration and I think they represent all of them nicely.

Tauros/Bouffalant: This one is easy, Tauros is faster with offensive Abilities while Bouffalant is more defensive with more varied Abilities. They are different even though both share a similar movepool and that has slight differences (like Tauros getting Psychic-type Headbutt while Bouffalant gets Fighting-type Revenge & Reversal and Bug-type Megahorn (and can get Egg Moves)).

So yeah, not so similar afterall. Some are close, but usually they provide a different flavor rather than being a direct copy with only a different design.

I also like how in Gen V people were complaining about getting expies of Gen I Pokemon yet people were excited for the Alola Variants in Gen VII. :P

I'll respond to some others later.

Tbh, I think the anime's contest festivals were really nice and miles better than gym battles. The May vs Drew battle at the Indigo Plateau is still one of my favourite battles ever.
I was devastated when they scrapped the whole concept in Best Wishes. Had they kept Contests it would've taken me at least more than the 1st episode to drop the series.

Last edited:

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Tbh, I think the anime's contest festivals were really nice and miles better then gym battles. The May vs Drew battle at the Indigo Plateau is still one of my favourite battles ever.
I was devastated when they scrapped the whole concept in Best Wishes. Had they kept Contests it would've taken me at least more than the 1st episode to drop the series.
I enjoyed watching contests in the anime, but I didn't like them in the games... maybe because its turn based and not much graphics.
I personally find in game contests boring.

But I missed them in the anime. I prefer watching contest episodes more than gym battles too.
I actually liked Serena's Tripokalon thingy.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
after thinking a bit tho is it just me or does this seem to be a slight trend in modern gaming

of course, my reference pool is crazy limited because i'm the most casual of casuals, but i collect Kirby games and I noticed something similar happening there: 2011's Return to Dreamland introduced super-abilities (idr if that was the proper name for them), and then they weren't in the 2013 spiritual sequel Triple Deluxe in favor of Hypernova, and then that wasn't in 2016's spiritual sequel Planet Robobot in favor of the robot suits

and in ace attorney, the second game introduced series mainstay psyche-locks which continued to the third game (consistency there), then was (mostly - one great exception in the last case) shelved in favor of Apollo's Perceive mechanic (Apollo Justice - 2007), which lost the spotlight to Athena's Mood Matrix (Dual Destinies - 2013), which lost the spotlight to the Divination Seances (Spirit of Justice - 2016). Even in the spin-offs: in Investigations Edgeworth had his Logic power which was novel enough and all the character really needed, but then in Investigations 2 he gets Logic Chess as well.

so is it just me or do long-running game series in general seem to want to show you NEW AND INTERESTING THINGS moreso than developing older things in the modern day?
But there's a difference with those games and Pokemon discarding & replacing mechanic.
With the Kirby and Ace Attorney those all are gimmicks which roughly serve the same purpose but in different ways. While you may prefer one power/method over another, it's not like you're missing out on anything as the games were designed around those mechanics. The games are self contained and with little to no multiplayer, or at least the multiplayer doesn't use those mechanics which is the case for Kirby.

But Pokemon is different. For one thing the removed mechanics are not replaced by something which are equal to it. We have nothing that helps us search for nearby Pokemon like the PokeNav did. Nothing in Sun & Moon are replacing Pokemon Contests, or at least not as equally if you want to bring up the Battle Royal. While SOS Battles may have replaced Horde they completely tossed out Inverse (and Sky Battle to a lesser degree, though Inverse is especially missed) which really mixed things up by simply reversing the type chart. There's no Diving or Soaring which were fun ways to explore the Hoenn Region (just think about diving or soaring in Alola). Finally, though its not removed, Mega Evolution is almost being shunned (no new ones, Mega Stones missing, and those in the game having a high BP price) while Z-Moves are only a loose replacement being a super attack instead of a super form change. And that is a MAJOR difference, because Pokemon isn't self contained, there's an active competitive part of Pokemon and the shunning of Mega Evolution where before it was a big deal has caused a major shift in the meta (especially with those missing Mega Pokemon now that we can transfer our Gen VI Pokemon over).

True, the Elemental Monkeys do have an individual identity crisis. Like I remember when I found one in XY I instinctively looked for the other two without even checking a guide to know they were there. I also remember a few notable battles, especially rotational/triple, where all three were used. Heck, even in the anime this was the case with notable appearances by them, the Pan's via the Striaton Triplets and the Simi's in one of the battling tournaments by a random set of triplets (though Simisear oddly debutted on its own). This was sort of lampshaded by GF themselves in BW2 where the reason the Striaton triplets resigned as Gym Leaders is because they wanted to become stronger individually and as not as a group of triplets.

I would still like the idea that if they made any more Elemental Monkeys that they should be a set of three, though maybe do vary them up. Too late to make them the same Pokemon like Oricorio, but they could make any future ones (and even the existing ones) individual by having them appear separately in appropriate environments (or someplace where it would be convenient for a player to get one of that type).

I hate pikachu. I think he is annoying, totally not cute/cool/badass or anything positive you can find.
Wha... what? What did I do? Like, okay, I guess I can be opinionated at times and write lengthy posts...
I am not fan of the yellow color however I love electric-types, even the yellow ones (jolteon was practically my luckcharm in gen I). But I can't stand pikachu and his smiling face. His design doesn't make him stand out.
I wouldn't be so harsh toward his evolution Raichu but he looks more like a big yellow common rodent than a really cute/cool/badass pokemon.
The definition of cuteness would be more a pokemon like clefable or eevee but definitly not pikachu or even pichu.
OH, you mean the Pokemon. Phew!

Actually I know a lot of people who aren't fond of Pikachu (many of them like Raichu more which is probably why, though Raichu is now getting some love via Alolan Raichu. Still should have gotten a Mega).

Pikachu personally doesn't bother me, he's an okay mascot though I just wished that they wouldn't always use it as a jobber in the anime (or forget it has the Static Ability unless they decide to make it a plot point).

Though funny you mention Clefable being it was originally going to be the mascot of Pokemon was chosen before deciding Pikachu was a better option since yellow is a more neutral color and its design not leaning toward any gender.

There's that - they would have been way cooler and more creative as a single 'mon - but from a design perspective it's also annoying. The first gym in BW was the type advantageous against your starter - that's a cool idea and I like it. But then since there's only three Pokémon you can catch and two of those suck, when you're handed an Elemental Monkey it just makes the whole concept seem very pointless and autoplay. Use this monkey to win because there's little to no other way to. I get the idea is to teach type advantages and disadvantages but this is just so lazy.
I don't mind it, since there is another way to win: just use the other com mons to beat the monkey. May take more than one or two hits but Patrat, Lillipup, Purrloin, Munna, and Audino could take on their Elemental Monkey in a neutral bout. Personally, my problem stems with their being TWO tutorial Gyms, though Nacrene Gym's is "downplayed" (aside everyone and their mother telling you to go outer area of Pinwheel Forest to get a Fighting-type).

Still hoping they'll try letting us choose the order of Gyms like they did with the Elite Four, granted would probably involve a lot of planning in how would they let us explore the region without getting too overpowered & how would story progression work (I have some ideas but GF are the ones who need to think of them).

Tbh, I think the anime's contest festivals were really nice and miles better than gym battles. The May vs Drew battle at the Indigo Plateau is still one of my favourite battles ever.
While I wouldn't say they were better than normal/Gym battles (it's all on how the writer wrote out the battles, many of my favorite battles were during the Sinnoh League), when done right the Pokemon Contests were tense. First they need to get through the Appeal round which let the animators use a Pokemon's move in unique ways and often was a nice visual display. Than came the battle round with the multiple win condition: knock out, draining opponent's points to zero, time running out and having the most points left. Unlike Gym Battles, theoretically you wouldn't quite know who won since all participants were competing for a Ribbon/the Ribbon Cup & Top Coordinator title thus everyone had a stake (unlike Gym Battles where the Gym Leader was just judging if the challenging trainer was strong enough to win/earn their badge, only the challenger had anything to lose or gain).

However that doesn't mean they didn't have problems. A lot of the time the point system was used more as an excuse to declare someone a winner for story convenience. There were moments where either time or someone's points should have ran out but the battle kept going just so the writers could skew the results in the trainer they wanted to win (usually May or Dawn). Also they would play loose and fast with how many points would be lost and for what reason, once again making it feel like like there were no rules and all of this was for naught as the writers were just going to choose the trainer they wanted to win anyway without making it feel rightfully earned sometimes.

Still hoping they'll try letting us choose the order of Gyms like they did with the Elite Four, granted would probably involve a lot of planning in how would they let us explore the region without getting too overpowered & how would story progression work (I have some ideas but GF are the ones who need to think of them).
They could just scale the levels/evolutionary stages in accordance with the player's. Of course, this kind of foists a specific difficulty on the player (thinking of people who do no-grinding challenge runs and people doing shit like Nuzlockes who overgrind like crazy), but maybe BW2-style difficulty levels (unlockable from the start instead of after beating the game) could alleviate that.

I really don't like the Pokemon anime. I don't find Ash a very interesting character, and while other animes like Naruto (at least before the 4th Shinobi War Arc) has fights that focus on strategy, Ash usually wins his battles by whipping some bullshit strategy out of his arse. Remember his fight with Tate and Liza in Advance Generation (I think that's what it was called)? Using Thunder as armour. How the hell is that supposed to work? If Pikachu had the ability Lightningrod, then maybe. But its ability has been shown as Static several times, and Lightningrod didn't grant an Electric immunity until gen 6.

And Jessie and James suck as villains, and Brock's perving on girls got old really fast. In reality, he'd be a registered sex offender in no time. The first theme song was good though.

The show needs to be axed IMO. It's just gone on way too long, and it's joined the ranks of shows like The Simpsons, South Park and Family Guy - shows which are being made for no reason other than profit.

Last edited:
On Jessie and James, they were used a little better in early BW with that level in competence they took, no more blasting off, and more sparse appearances.

But then they put them back as their old, boring selves.

Actually, talking of Jessie and James...

The anime's infamous status quo doesn't annoy me most because it means Ash will never win (though that is, of course, also very annoying), but because it means Jessie and James ultimately won't get their redemption arc.
They're incredibly sympathetic characters and they've been shown to risk their jobs and even lives for the sake of their own Pokémon countless times. It's frustrating to know that they'll never really get out of Team Rocket and fully embrace the good people they are.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 4)