Unpopular opinions

I forgot giant feet. Humanoid, but with giant feet.

And to think I get insecure about my size-11's.

But enough about other series. As for the "is pokemon running out of ideas," we have this conversation every single generation since Gen 2. And yes that doesn't dismiss the possibility, but it does sure get old. And throwing out all the ultrabeasts is a bit unfair considering how many of them there are (plus I feel the Tapu's are novel with the imps-in-the-mask design, and Lunala is an unique take on a moon legendary. They'd make it a rabbit if they were being lazy).

Plus is Decidueye actually anthropomorphic? Sure it's an archer but it's also still pretty owl-shaped (and basing it off of the extinct Hawaiian stilt-owl is genius). Sure I want more varied bodyshapes among the fully evolved starters, but it's only been like this for 2 generations and pokemon as a whole still shows a lot of creativity.

I guess my point is don't say "Gamefreak is running out of ideas" to disguise your wishlist. Wanting to see certain things (like a dophin-mon or my Dullahan fairy fantasy) is not the same as saying what we have lacks inspiration.

Last edited:
I forgot giant feet. Humanoid, but with giant feet.

View attachment 160480
View attachment 160481
View attachment 160482
And to think I get insecure about my size-11's.

But enough about other series. As for the "is pokemon running out of ideas," we have this conversation every single generation since Gen 2. And yes that doesn't dismiss the possibility, but it does sure get old. And throwing out all the ultrabeasts is a bit unfair considering how many of them there are (plus I feel the Tapu's are novel with the imps-in-the-mask design, and Lunala is an unique take on a moon legendary. They'd make it a rabbit if they were being lazy).

Plus is Decidueye actually anthropomorphic? Sure it's an archer but it's also still pretty owl-shaped (and basing it off of the extinct Hawaiian stilt-owl is genius). Sure I want more varied bodyshapes among the fully evolved starters, but it's only been like this for 2 generations and pokemon as a whole still shows a lot of creativity.

I guess my point is don't say "Gamefreak is running out of ideas" to disguise your wishlist. Wanting to see certain things (like a dophin-mon or my Dullahan fairy fantasy) is not the same as saying what we have lacks inspiration.
I'd also argue that Primarina doesn't really look that human-like aside from the hair, certainly not any more or less than Decidueye. Incineroar though is bipedal if that really counts as "human-like".

Besides, as with near any long-running franchise, fans will complain about "running out of ideas" and any new designs almost without fail. :P

My probably unpopular opinion: Geomancy should work like Hyper Beam. It would make it much stronger for conventional use (immediate SpDef boost, full Taunt immunity when used as a Z-move) while removing the broken interaction with Power Herb that single-handedly ruins every meta that Xerneas is legal in.

Making a signature move strictly inferior to Quiver Dance except for one use that is disproportionately broken even by gen 6 cover legendary standards is terrible design.

My probably more unpopular opinion: GF should give serious thought to allowing more than 6 Pokemon on your team. In a meta with ~150 Pokemon, it makes sense, but there are far too many threats now and the six mon limit means a lot of matches are won and lost at the teambuilding stage.

That would be a really heavy nerf, as it hands your opponent a free turn which is basically suicide in competitive pokemon. Free switch in for your Xerneas check.

So Geomancy goes from having one useful combo to "never in a million years."

Tyranitar should have higher special attack considering he is pokemon's godzilla, and how the anime mainly shows him using hyper beam to reference that.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Tyranitar should have higher special attack considering he is pokemon's godzilla, and how the anime mainly shows him using hyper beam to reference that.
To be fair, mostly everything is shown to use special moves in the anime, because it's much easier to animate a Pokémon shooting a beam of light/water/fire/electricity out of its mouth than to show it punch another Pokémon up close.

And regarding the starters, I think they're making them all humanoid (heck yes Decidueye and Primarina are humanoid - they've got heads on top of their shoulders, humanlike torsos and seemingly opposable thumbs too) because they want them to be expressive. These Pokémon are given much more animation attention and marketing spotlight, so they need to be shown in a lot of poses conveying different emotions or actions. It's easier to convey this with a human-shaped creature than a creature that resembles, for instance, a quadrupedal animal, a snake, a fish, a bug or an object. That being said, I think it's a bit of a cop-out, and I'd love to see more variety. Particularly with fire starters, they've been humanoid for five generations straight now, and all but one of those have been focused on martial arts.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
The +10 stat boost was only in Gen 6. Gen 7 had boosts greater than 10 points. As for new abilities, Drizzle was all that changed for Pelipper, and it rose all the way from PU to OU.
Honestly I think some Pokemon just need a stat redo to make them more specialized because I noticed a lot of Pokemon are held back because they're too rounded. Mainly this is for the offense stat, if a Pokemon is definitely a Physical or Special attacker their other offense stat should be either half or less (there are exceptions of course, like Pokemon with a lot of BST like Legendaries who can afford to dump a lot of extra points in the other offense stat so they could use it if they wanted to; but for most com mons they need to be careful how they distribute those points).

Still, Pokemon could use a Special Attack variant of Intimidate.
Or they could just have Intimidate halve the highest offense stat (or, if that seems OP, I always thought some Abilities like Intimidate could have a customization option where you got to choose where if effected either the Physical or Special stat).

Gen 2 ingame is overrated. This was a childhood favourite of mine alongside Gen 3, but after playing it again I've changed my opinions on it. There are too many stone evolution Pokemon and not enough evolution stones - why can you only get them through phone call or in the post game? Attacks are also annoying to come by: Typhlosion learns Flamethrower at level 60, and given the lower level scales, you're likely not getting that until the post game; Rhydon doesn't learn any STAB moves until level 55 (later if you don't halt its evolution); Xatu doesn't learn Psychic until level 65, and so on.

Speaking of levelling, the level scaling is really dumb. Why am I going through the Radio Tower after having 7 badges and battling people with Pokemon level 25? Why are the wild Pokemon so underlevelled? Want to get an Ice type for Clair/Lance? Lmao Swinub/Jynx at level 23 is unironically your best choice and that's right before the 8th Gym.

Another thing I don't like about it is that they introduce a lot of cool Pokemon but don't make a lot of them available until the post game. Examples include Misdreavus, Houndoom, Murkrow.
Worst part is that they could have fixed the level progression and Pokemon distribution issue with the remakes but nope, same as the GB games.

But I think the thing people like about Gen II is that it's a direct sequel to the Gen I games and post game you visit Kanto for essentially a second game. It's something no other games has done.

My unpopular opinion: Psyduck is not a duck.
I also don't think Golduck qualifies as a duck, but that's not the focus for today.

(...)

Now, what real-world animal do we know that has all of those features? That's right, it's a platypus! Although Psyduck lacks the beaver tail or otter feet (and it also lacks the venom that most platypodes have), it certainly has more in common with a platypus than a duck.
I think the thing confounding Psyduck & Golduck's design is that they're also based on the Kappa. Not to the the extent like the Lotad family, but the claws hands instead of wings and a tail (also never mentioned they have feathers or not so it could have but they're just drawn in a way that makes it look smooth).

I have always wondered what diffenetrates a human and a human-like Pokemon actually, other than "can('t) speak and can('t) use moves".
Guess just appearance and behavior. There's really no Pokemon that looks like a human so no problem there. And humans don't have the powers Pokemon have but rather formed complex communication skills, wear clothing (a have a wide variety of clothing be it shape, design, color, or material), and are less instinctual than Pokemon (while some Pokemon are smarter than humans, they are still Pokemon so rely on instincts to survive where as humans, even if not as smart, do prefer relying on intelligence to solve their problems). Also Pokemon are affected by Poke Balls and can be stored as data, humans cannot (apparently the Poke Ball beam just stuns as human but not much else).

Z moves were horribly marketed compared to Megas. A few of the reasons I can say people liked Megas is because of the anime and some older forgotten designs got an upgrade like beedrill, lopunny, ampharos. Even with the "dark edgy lore" of how painful mega evolution is, I also feel like Pokemon themselves don't care about that, since they ultimately want to win a battle.

But that's still more than what we got with Z moves. Wow cool they're leftover pieces of power from necrozma. The anime also does a poor job of showing off z moves. Besides maybe one or two times showing that you can use a z move to cancel another z move. It's just showing the Z move cutscene but in the show, not even any status z moves.

Theres also merchandise, and Z moves were complete garbage. Yay a braclet you hold and it makes noise when you use it. Megas got plushies, key chains, figures, mega bracelet, list goes on. It's no wonder many people want Megas back, z Crystal's are pathetic by comparison.
Well depends what media you're talking about. If you're talking about the anime I would agree, Megas were painted in a way better light than Z-Moves. However I feel for the games it was the opposite, the Z-Moves were given way more attention than Megas since EVERY Pokemon can use the basic Z-Moves so, once you got it, you could use it immediately (if you got that Type of move).

About the lore, I feel the lore may only be referring to Pokemon who go Mega outside of a battle or maybe in the wild. Now there's nothing supporting my theory, it's a fan theory, but since in battle a trainer needs to have a strong bond in order to Mega Evolve their Pokemon the energy going into the Pokemon is actually cycling between trainer and Pokemon: both are sharing the extra energy so the Mega isn't feeling any of the negative effects.

Anyway, you're right that Z-Crystals aren't really made for merchandise. Like the TCG could do something with them and maybe they could have "Z-Move" figurines, but overall it's much more limited than having a new Pokemon. Though that does make me wonder if, due to not able to merchandise Z-Crystals well, if that may have an affect on what they do in the next game. Like would the "big new mechanic" be made something more merchandise-able or could this be the excuse to make more Megas.

USUM were heartless cash grabs that added barely any new content and would have better been sold as a DLC instead of being re-branded as a new game.

Pokemon Let's Go is a glorified mobile game that adds nothing new (recycles everything from gen 1) and is a disgrace of a game.
I thought this was supposed to be unpopular opinions. :psysly:

Digimon has also had this conversation too, as there's a trend that the strongest Digimon are more humanoid in shape (Wargreymon and Omnimon/Omegamon being the initial offenders) and that most truly animal digimon are either evil or lower ranked.
Not to mention Digimon LOVES to just add robotic/cybernetic/armor parts to higher level Digimon.

I really worry that the Pokémon team is running low on ideas in general. The UBs are the exception, but look at the recent starters, they all end up humanlike by stage 3. I don’t really think I’ve absolutely loved any recent designs or been truly surprised by a mon i the last couple gens. I don’t think it’s insurmountable for them, but it is concerning. We’re 800 mons in at this point, they may be running out of new stuff.
Actually I think they're more either holding back and/or are trying to be inclusive as possible. We're close to having over 1000 species of Pokemon and I feel GF doesn't want to cross that line as long as they could. In addition to being careful with the amount of Pokemon they add they also want to include as many things as possible, and I just don't mean the Pokemon's design. They're also trying to include animals/myths/objects/concepts from as many places and cultures as possible.

But that all said, I have an entire thread about how they are not anywhere near scrapping the bottom of the barrel.

My probably more unpopular opinion: GF should give serious thought to allowing more than 6 Pokemon on your team. In a meta with ~150 Pokemon, it makes sense, but there are far too many threats now and the six mon limit means a lot of matches are won and lost at the teambuilding stage.
Not sure how I feel about this. While I'm all for letting Pokemon have more Move slots (which could very well open the way for more diversity), the amount of Pokemon you can use I feel doesn't need to change. NOW, maybe giving you the option to bring in more Pokemon (like say nine) BUT you can only send out six before locking you in I think that could maybe work. You have a selection to choose from and more options to adapt to situations but still keeps the number used in battle the same.

My probably unpopular opinion: Geomancy should work like Hyper Beam. It would make it much stronger for conventional use (immediate SpDef boost, full Taunt immunity when used as a Z-move) while removing the broken interaction with Power Herb that single-handedly ruins every meta that Xerneas is legal in.

Making a signature move strictly inferior to Quiver Dance except for one use that is disproportionately broken even by gen 6 cover legendary standards is terrible design.

Instead of powering up your stats, it’s powers up your allies’s stats? That would make it much harder to manage than clicking Geomancy for yourself. It would also fit in much better with lore, since the anime/lore portray Geomancy as powering up allies rather than itself, since Xerneas gives off its life force for others rather than itself.

I don’t think Geomancy alone is what makes Xerneas cancerous. I think the issues arises that GS cup, approximately half the Restricted Legends are weak to Fairy, with only three having super effective coverage: Dialga, Solgaleo and Necrozma. Not to mention in 2016, Dialga struggled to check Xerneas after a Geomancy boost, and it was only steel type. Let’s just say Zekrom had a similar move to Geomancy. While it would be strong, I don’t think it would be influential: 1. Dragon and Electric have two immunities that are very common. 2. Intimidate exists and is very inflexible. 3. Common weaknesses.

Xerneas has only one Pokémon immune to its STAB attacks, Shedinja ( which has been getting more usage. ) Intimidate doesn’t affect Xerneas, and while there is snarl, Snarl requires a move and thus is not as flexible. Not to mention Fairy Aura is free LO boost as well. Xerneas’s weakness are very scarce, with the proof being only one restricted Legendary who can threaten in 2016.

So yeah, these are the reasons why I think its not nesscarily Geomancy alone that makes Xerneas OP.

Instead of powering up your stats, it’s powers up your allies’s stats? That would make it much harder to manage than clicking Geomancy for yourself. It would also fit in much better with lore, since the anime/lore portray Geomancy as powering up allies rather than itself, since Xerneas gives off its life force for others rather than itself.

I don’t think Geomancy alone is what makes Xerneas cancerous. I think the issues arises that GS cup, approximately half the Restricted Legends are weak to Fairy, with only three having super effective coverage: Dialga, Solgaleo and Necrozma. Not to mention in 2016, Dialga struggled to check Xerneas after a Geomancy boost, and it was only steel type. Let’s just say Zekrom had a similar move to Geomancy. While it would be strong, I don’t think it would be influential: 1. Dragon and Electric have two immunities that are very common. 2. Intimidate exists and is very inflexible. 3. Common weaknesses.

Xerneas has only one Pokémon immune to its STAB attacks, Shedinja ( which has been getting more usage. ) Intimidate doesn’t affect Xerneas, and while there is snarl, Snarl requires a move and thus is not as flexible. Not to mention Fairy Aura is free LO boost as well. Xerneas’s weakness are very scarce, with the proof being only one restricted Legendary who can threaten in 2016.

So yeah, these are the reasons why I think its not nesscarily Geomancy alone that makes Xerneas OP.
Agreed, and fairy is probably gonna need 1 more gen to balance them out with new additions to counter them, be it megas or balance changes like adding a weakness to bug? (You could argue pure beings are grossed out by them? Idunno)

That would be a really heavy nerf, as it hands your opponent a free turn which is basically suicide in competitive pokemon. Free switch in for your Xerneas check.

So Geomancy goes from having one useful combo to "never in a million years."
So you need to actually get rid of your opponent's check before pressing your "I win" button, just like every other sweeper in the game other than Mega Rayquaza. Why is this a bad thing, again? As it stands, by the time your opponent sends in Xerneas, it's quite often already too late to stop it -- you have to have your check already out or have something in the back that can tank two Geomancy hits and OHKO (a very limited pool, especially if Xerneas is your opponent's last Pokemon, and even then it is reliant on your check being at full HP). Reactive play against Xerneas is virtually impossible, and the only reason the meta doesn't completely revolve around Geomancy Xerneas is that the last four batches of additions to Ubers have all brought in things specifically designed to counter it.

Not to mention that the pool of checks would be reduced by the fact that you'd get the double special defence immediately (or 2.5x in the case of Z-Geomancy) and still only have the first turn to Taunt it.

Even in the current meta, Z-Geomancy is a viable set. So yeah, it's a nerf (that's the point, the move is broken to the point that it was once banned in a meta where Xerneas was already not legal), but it would still have a niche, and Xerneas is still very good outside of that.

Not sure how I feel about this. While I'm all for letting Pokemon have more Move slots (which could very well open the way for more diversity), the amount of Pokemon you can use I feel doesn't need to change. NOW, maybe giving you the option to bring in more Pokemon (like say nine) BUT you can only send out six before locking you in I think that could maybe work. You have a selection to choose from and more options to adapt to situations but still keeps the number used in battle the same.
I kinda wonder if Let's Go's box mechanic was making strides towards this by letting you swap out mons between matches even in gauntlet challenges.

I'm curious why you'd object to more mons in a team though. Do you think battles would go on for too long with, say, 8 Pokemon aside, or is there another balancing concern you're worried about?

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Geomancy:
Just checking since I got kind of lost with the Geomancy discussion, is Geomancy considered too powerful and thus needs a nerf or is it considered too situational it needs to be changed to be useful?

Eitherway, maybe an easier solution would to skip this whole charge turn nonsense and just have Geomancy increase Special Attack, Special Defense, and Speed by ONE stage on the turn used. Sure, it would essentially then be a copy of Quiver Dance, but Xerneas probably would never have learned that anyway and not like we have Moves/Abilities that are copies of each other (if they want to still make Geomancy special maybe have it be a +1 priority). Also, Z-Geomancy is a bit OP, maybe also make it like Z-Quiver Dance where it just resets Xerneas's stats before use.

That said I think a lot of Signature Moves (and some Abilities) could use some work to make them more useful. Like, let's take Luster Purge and Mist Ball, why would you use them over Psychic? Sure, they have a handy side effect of a 50% chance of decreasing Special Attack (Mist Ball) or Special Defense (Luster Purge), but their 70 Power. They're a Signature Move, they shouldn't be weaker to the normal alternative but be just as powerful while having a bit additional.

I'm curious why you'd object to more mons in a team though. Do you think battles would go on for too long with, say, 8 Pokemon aside, or is there another balancing concern you're worried about?
Now I'm all for letting you carry around more Pokemon with you, but I think in-battles it should still be restricted to just six for the reasons you mentioned. I feel six Pokemon is a good amount for a length of a battle, both giving you multiple options to work with but there's still a confining limit keeping you focused. If you give a trainer more Pokemon that's not only more options opened to them but during battle they'd need more time to weigh their options, especially if they decided to check on each of their Pokemon to remind themselves of their moves/stats/ability/item. Also, since that'll give them an additional counter they can have on their team, switching might increase as each trainer sends out the ideal Pokemon for the situation.

If they were to let us carry more Pokemon to train, for battles they would need to either:

1. We'd have 6 Pokemon that are considered the "active" party, they are the ones when a battle start are our options. Other Pokemon we'd have with us would be our "reserve". For convenience sake they'd get experience from the Exp. Share like the active Pokemon and anytime outside of battle you can swap an "active" Pokemon for them, but during a battle they're not available. This would keep how things are normally but let you train more Pokemon so that you can have more options outside of battle (though maybe when challenging the Pokemon League they might want to prevent you from switching in a reserve between Elite Four members or facing the Champion).

2. We can have our whole team as an option, but only 6 can be used. Once you send out the sixth Pokemon, the others you haven't used are no longer an option. Now this would change the battle system, sure you're still only using six Pokemon but they're not completely pre-planned (at least until you send out the sixth Pokemon). This will certainly give you more options, though remember the same can be said for the opponent.

Or they could do a combination of both. For battles between Trainers (and the Pokemon League) they can do option 1 and for wild battles, battles against the villain team, or special trainer battles (like the Battle Tower expy) they can do option 2.

Geomancy:
Just checking since I got kind of lost with the Geomancy discussion, is Geomancy considered too powerful and thus needs a nerf or is it considered too situational it needs to be changed to be useful?
I'm claiming that it's too powerful in combination with Power Herb (it's on a whole other level to most ubers and completely warps every format it's allowed in, including VGC), but underpowered as a conventional move due to being strictly inferior to Quiver Dance otherwise. In my opinion, Z-Geomancy is appropriately powerful because it's a game ender but still gives the opponent adequate opportunity for reactive play (and uses up your team's Z move).

Let's change topic because discussing if Geomancy Xerneas is overpowered in the metagame or not, what constitutes a Xerneas check, and if it needs to be nerfed isn't actually allowed in the Orange Islands thread so let's pump the breaks before the mods come in.

To get the ball rolling, I really liked the sidequest aspects added to Pokemon Ultrasun and Ultramoon, and felt they added more character and depth to a region that felt a little small. It could have benefited from a journal or quest manager like most RPGs have, but I also wonder if that would have cheapened the experience (make it look more like statistics than interactions).

In fact, the sidequests was the redeeming aspect of Ultrasun/Ultramoon for me.

Well, that and Guzma.

Or they could just have Intimidate halve the highest offense stat (or, if that seems OP, I always thought some Abilities like Intimidate could have a customization option where you got to choose where if effected either the Physical or Special stat).
“Halve”? Are you saying Intimidate should be a two-stage drop? How much better does one of the most effective abilities in the game need to be haha?

Also, given how few genuine mixed attackers there are in competitive battling, having Intimidate lower the opponent’s highest offensive stat would usually be equivalent to an ability which just lowered both of the opponent’s offensive stats, which is an incredibly powerful debuff.

Ability customisation is an interesting idea. Are there other specific abilities you think could have toggle-able options? It seems like most abilities don’t really lend themselves well to this concept, but it’s an intriguing possibility.

The sidequests and random cutscenes were probably the best thing USUM done over SM, honestly -- or at least in the top 3. They made the game feel so much more detailed and polished and alive. I'd like to see that trend keep going...
Absolutely. The USUM sidequests and miscellaneous cutscenes helped make Alola feel like a place that didn’t exist solely for the protagonist’s journey, and were also the perfect vehicle for some of the weird humour and spookiness that Game Freak loves to sneak into the Pokémon games.

I'm not the biggest fan of Gen 5's artstyle. It feels washed out or something and the sprites, areas, etc. have off and wonky proportions. And sometimes the sprites clash against the models. It's not the worst artstyle in the series (looking at you Gen 6 at the least.), but yeah, not a big fan.

Also, I feel like BW1 are meh. Again, they're not the worst games in the series (Gen 6 easily takes this spot), but that doesn't stop me from not really enjoying them. In addition to my problems with Gen 5's artstyle, there's numerous other issues. The game looks and feels incomplete (like the UI), battling doesn't feel good for whatever reason, there's a disappointing lack of content, Unova's design isn't that good, etc. Yeah, the story's okay, but it's still a Pokemon story, which are never that good (even PMD). And after you're done with said story, there's little to do. I remember coming off disappointed with BW1 after the content packed HGSS (and Platinum), so much so that I skipped BW2 when it was released (now I regret that, but at the time, I had no idea) due to my meh experience with BW1. Luckily when I got around to BW2, I was pleasantly that it far and surpassed BW1 in just about every area. Sure, the writing was meh to bad and story wasn't too great, but that's a small compensation for all the good stuff it did. It even alleviated some of my problems with Gen 5's artstyle like making the UI look more polished and the like. BW1 might be meh to me, but BW2 where the last good Pokemon games we got.

And this last one isn't unpopular or anything, but I just want to go on record that still Gen 6 does the worst in most of these areas (granted the UI and battling feels better than BW1).

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
To get the ball rolling, I really liked the sidequest aspects added to Pokemon Ultrasun and Ultramoon, and felt they added more character and depth to a region that felt a little small. It could have benefited from a journal or quest manager like most RPGs have, but I also wonder if that would have cheapened the experience (make it look more like statistics than interactions).

In fact, the sidequests was the redeeming aspect of Ultrasun/Ultramoon for me.
While I did like the mini-sidequests, I did have a problem that despite adding all these little story bits they didn't give any more story tibits to the characters I care about or would like to learn more about. Hau, Lillie, Gladion, the Captains, the Kahuna, Team Skull, the Aether Foundation, Kahili, Ryuki, the Ultra Recon Squad, etc.. I would have gladly given up these mini-sidequests to give those characters more story since, at the end of the day, they'll be the ones who I remember. Or better yet they can not rush the games and do both... among fixing many other things...

“Halve”? Are you saying Intimidate should be a two-stage drop? How much better does one of the most effective abilities in the game need to be haha?
Sorry, I mis-typed. :P

Also, given how few genuine mixed attackers there are in competitive battling, having Intimidate lower the opponent’s highest offensive stat would usually be equivalent to an ability which just lowered both of the opponent’s offensive stats, which is an incredibly powerful debuff.
Just throwing out suggestions. If what I suggested is too powerful, they could instead have Intimidate lower the offense stat (by ONE stage) that would target the user's lowest defense stat. So for Gyarados it would lower the opponent's Attack, but for Mawile would lower the opponent's Special Attack. And then we have Pokemon like Arcanine, Salamence, & Staraptor who's defensive stats are either equal or close enough to each other that you can manipulate which one would be the lowest thus which offense stat of the opponent is decreased.

Ability customisation is an interesting idea. Are there other specific abilities you think could have toggle-able options? It seems like most abilities don’t really lend themselves well to this concept, but it’s an intriguing possibility.
  • Aftermath can activate by getting hit by non-contact moves but does 1/6 damage instead of 1/4.
  • Anger Point increase SpA instead of Atk.
  • Color Change changes type according to Nature Power/Camouflage's environment.
  • Contrary reverses stat changes of:
    * The opponent instead of this Pokemon.
    * Ally Pokemon in Double/Triple battles instead of this Pokemon.
  • Cute Charm can afflict Infatuation when it attacks with a contact move instead of being attacked.
  • Defeatist, instead of lowering Atk, SpA, & Spe, lowers:
    * Atk, Def, & SpD
    * Def, SpD, & Spe
  • Download adjusts defensive stats instead of offense (raise Def if opponent has higher Atk; SpD if opponent has higher SpA or they're equal).
  • Dry Skin increases healing & damage taken instead of normally (healing 1/6 HP in rain, damage 1/6 in sunlight, heal 1/3 HP hit by Water move, increase Fire damage by 1/3)
  • Flame Body may burn when this Pokemon attacks with a contact move instead of being attacked.
  • Flare Boost increase Spe instead of SpA.
  • Flower Gift, instead of increasing Atk & SpD, will increase:
    * Atk & Def
    * Atk & SpA
    * Def & SpD
    * Def & SpA
    * SpA & SpD
  • Fur Coat:
    * Halves moves affecting the SpD stat instead of the Def.
    * Decreases damage from all moves by 25%.
  • Gluttony has the Pokemon eat the Berry at 1/3 HP instead of 50%.
  • Gooey decreases target's Speed when this Pokemon uses a contact move instead of being attacked.
  • Guts increases:
    * SpA instead of Atk.
    * Both Atk & SpA by 25% instead of one by 50%.
  • Healer cures an ally Pokemon before itself if both have a Status Ailment.
  • Heavy Metal triples weight instead of double.
  • Huge Power increases Atk & Def by 50% instead of double Atk.
  • Hustle:
    * Doubles Atk and decreases their move's Accuracy by 50%.
    * Increase SpA and decreases their move's Accuracy instead of Atk.
    * Doubles SpA and decreases their move's Accuracy by 50%.
    * Increases SpA & Atk by 25% and decreases their move's Accuracy by 10%
  • Justified increases Special Attack instead of Attack.
  • Leaf Guard prevents non-self induced stat reductions instead of status ailments.
  • Light Metal reduces weight by 2/3 instead of half.
  • Lightning Rod increases Atk instead of SpA.
  • Minus can increase SpD instead of SpA.
  • Moxie increases SpA instead of Atk.
  • Pickpocket steals when this Pokemon uses a contact move instead of being hit by one.
  • Plus can increase Atk instead of SpA.
  • Pure Power:
    * Doubles SpA instead Atk.
    * Increases Atk & SpA by 50% instead of doubling Atk.
  • Reckless increases recoil moves by 50% instead of 20%.
  • Rivalry raises/decreases moves Power by 1/3 if target is same/opposite gender instead of 25%.
  • Sap Sipper increases SpA instead of Atk.
  • Solar Power increases:
    * Atk instead of SpA.
    * Atk/SpA by 1.5x but loses 1/6 max HP instead of doubling and 1/8.
  • Stance Change doesn't change Aegislash into Blade Forme unless using cutting/slashing moves (Fury Cutter, Slash, Night Slash, Aerial Ace, Sacred Sword, False Swipe, Shadow Claw).
  • Storm Drain increases SpD instead of SpA.
  • Sturdy always has a 10% chance leaving this Pokemon with 1 HP instead of having to be at full HP.
  • Technician increase moves with Power of 80 or below by 20% instead of 60 Power and 1.5x.
  • Toxic Boost increases SpA instead of Atk.
  • Weak Armor increase Spd by +2 stages and decrease Def by 2 stages instead of 1 stage each.
  • Wimp Out/Emergency Exit retreats when:
    * Below 1/3 HP.
    * Below 25% HP
    * Hit by a Super Effective move instead below a certain amount of HP.
  • Wonderguard only takes damage from:
    * Neutral moves instead of super effective.
    * Resisted/immune moves instead of super effective.

Gen 6 also has the best Pokémon distribution in terms of replayability. It’s a little random and unfocused, but you can build your team quickly and build a completely different team just a quickly the next game.
In a perfect example of being an impossible-to-please fan, I actually get a bit overwhelmed when there are too many options available, so I kinda prefer a more limited regional Pokédex than XY offered.

In theory I love the Gen 6 distribution, where Pokémon are rarely repeated in different routes and there are so many different species in each individual area, but in practice I don’t replay Pokémon games often enough to take advantage of the extra options. Also, as you say, it starts to feel a little scattered and random when there’s so much variety.

I'm not the biggest fan of Gen 5's artstyle. It feels washed out or something and the sprites, areas, etc. have off and wonky proportions. And sometimes the sprites clash against the models. It's not the worst artstyle in the series (looking at you Gen 6 at the least.), but yeah, not a big fan.
The Gen 5 sprites tried to play with perspectives, having the camera spin and pan out to mix it up from the the top-down angled camera of the last 4 generations. And sometimes it did result in something beautiful, like the shot from Pinwheel Forest as you enter Castelia City.

I wish I could find a pic at night or sunset, like when I first got to this point. It did feel *magical*.

But other times it would result in pixelated messes. Especially with the trainer sprites, they'd seem to almost "ripple" in certain section of the game as the level of detail dips and rises. I'll try to capture this in images, but it really has to be played to be seen (in particular, watch the faces and eyes of NPCs as you move your character, sometimes they just go bonkers).

Those blobs in the distance look like the game is just glitching out, even though it's intentional.

Even some of the pokemon battle sprites felt really off with the looping animation, or way too fuzzy. Like, compare these two shots of Serperior vs. Black Kyurem.

Serperior looks a bit fuzzy up close, but smoothed in the front sprite. Meanwhile it's the opposite for Black Kyurem, who looks really fuzzy in his front sprite.

It was a weird ride all together, and I agree as a whole it isn't my favorite spritework. But then again there were these moments that really sold it, defining why they chose to experiment this way. It's gems in the sewage pile, but they are some really nice gems.

I'd almost like the Octopath Traveler designers to come in a take another crack at a sprite game with perspectives and light work. See if we can't clean Unova up more, because I think the idea was sound it's just the execution or hardware wasn't there yet.

Last edited:
In a perfect example of being an impossible-to-please fan, I actually get a bit overwhelmed when there are too many options available, so I kinda prefer a more limited regional Pokédex than XY offered.

In theory I love the Gen 6 distribution, where Pokémon are rarely repeated in different routes and there are so many different species in each individual area, but in practice I don’t replay Pokémon games often enough to take advantage of the extra options. Also, as you say, it starts to feel a little scattered and random when there’s so much variety.
As another note, with so much variety it becomes harder to get those 1% encounters and then you don't get the nature you want, brave abra. >>

In ultra they provided a lot of popular and decent options early game. Screw off gumshoos gimme that sweet intimidate spam arbok. Maybe also less clutter of older pokemon, but due to the fandoms hatred of black/white we no longer have games full of new pokemon, we have kanto though!

Gen 6 also has the best Pokémon distribution in terms of replayability. It’s a little random and unfocused, but you can build your team quickly and build a completely different team just a quickly the next game.
It went way too far. It kills immersion when everything just seems like it was dumped in there. Like someone turned on a cheat code to make everything available and now it’s all scattered around randomly.

Feel like the "symbol" system to decide battle-ready competitive Pokemon is really dumb. I get pre-6 everyone was hacking or whatever but now its constantly breed over and over unless you play showdown. When I put work into making a good mon that should be the only time I need to worry about having a certain one.

I'm also tired of these tournaments or events never amounting to much. Besides the occasional shiny reward but that's over in three battles and didn't feel like I fought for it at all. Also 50bp? That hardly covers 1 of the superior battle items. After you farm enough from something like bank, what's the point of these?

They could make it better, and feel more competitive instead of a pitiful "yay you did it here is a shiny island guardian."

Even how they treat certain berries by allowing them near the end of a generation. What the hell is that? Suddenly when the generation is at their lowest and most stale let's introduce some actually cool items we should have had from the start.

It's just how do you have developers on your team, that designed all these mechanics, and their team feels like they're showing a baby how to build a mecha kaiju and gives them pity wins or events.

Feel like the "symbol" system to decide battle-ready competitive Pokemon is really dumb. I get pre-6 everyone was hacking or whatever but now its constantly breed over and over unless you play showdown. When I put work into making a good mon that should be the only time I need to worry about having a certain one.

I'm also tired of these tournaments or events never amounting to much. Besides the occasional shiny reward but that's over in three battles and didn't feel like I fought for it at all. Also 50bp? That hardly covers 1 of the superior battle items. After you farm enough from something like bank, what's the point of these?

They could make it better, and feel more competitive instead of a pitiful "yay you did it here is a shiny island guardian."

Even how they treat certain berries by allowing them near the end of a generation. What the hell is that? Suddenly when the generation is at their lowest and most stale let's introduce some actually cool items we should have had from the start.

It's just how do you have developers on your team, that designed all these mechanics, and their team feels like they're showing a baby how to build a mecha kaiju and gives them pity wins or events.
You know what really irks me on this? The Pokemon Company and GameFreak actually knows about the similarity between Gen 6 and 7 and how are they competitively similar. In any other format of the cartridge ladders, you can use any Pokemon as long as its from Gen 6 or 7. Yet, the VGC ladder doesn't allow that. The ORAS ladder did something similar, with only Pokemon obtainable from Gen 6 being allowed to be used. GF and the Pokemon company truly know that Pokemon from Gen 6 and 7 are identical in competitive battling, bar a few things like Hone Claws Zekrom and Z-Dig Leafeon, there's not any significant differences, not to mention those examples are very niche. Yet, the notion is still you must have your Pokemon in that gen, despite there being no significant difference between the two.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 5, Guests: 3)