Unpopular opinions

I'd like to call them 'mistakes' instead of legendary tbh. Might as well put that here since it is the unpopular opinions thread. Sure their designs are interesting at least, but they don't fit in the pokemon franchise. Way too absurd. Just give me some cool legendary dog or bird or whatever if you can't help untroducing a shit ton broken pokemon.

I'm on a bit of a salty streak today but damn, I'm so sick of gamefreak adding all these unfinished half-assed 'cool' mechanics that go nowhere. Mega evolution, UB's and especially z moves all hurt the franchise imo. I just want the next gen to focus on having solid gameplay, cool new pokemon, some balance and qol changes and most importantly, NO GIMMICK. Just focused pokemon gameplay.

Well yeah, if the devs took the time to actually polish their gimmicks over the generation, I would not complain. I think mega evolution, for example actually had a lot of potential. However, they gave mega's to all the wrong pokemon and completely destroyed the potential that was there. A pokemon with a base stat of 600 does not need a mega. Even 'somewhat good' pokemon that aren't at the absolute top of the meta like gardevoir and menactric don't really need mega's either. Beedril and pidgeot are some examples of mega's I do actually support though, because regular beedril and pidgeot are plain bad pokemon. Honestly, I'd rather have regular evolutions for bad pokemon though, like gen four did. But then again, mega evolution is the perfect way of buffing bad pokemon that already have three evolutionary stages, so the mechanic can be used to make weak pokemon more viable. It makes me sad that gamefreak then proceeds to completely misunderstand the merits of their own mechanic and polarise the balance of the game even more in favor of already strong pokemon.

Basically, the point is that I wouldn't mind gimmicks per se if they were not so unpolished or straight up broken and unintuitive. Z moves are so bad that I don't even want gamefreak try to fix it though. I want them to drop it.

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
Tbh I don’t really see how half of the ultra beasts really look any “weirder” than normal mons. Like does Guzzlord, Buzzwole (lets be real people would be hyped as fuck if it was just a vanilla legendary) Naganadel, or Pheromosa really stand out that much to you people? The only one that have a dramatically different designs like Celesteela, Kartana, and Blacephalon (basically those 3 really, I personally love their designs but I can see the turn off) that I can see as too far out.

Like I bet if most of the UBs weren’t arbitrarily put into a different group people wouldn’t be whining.

Ryota Mitarai

Shrektimus Prime
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Idk how unpopular these are, but they certainly are not popular to my knowledge so:

First thing I really like a lot is those trainers in USUM that fight you when you beat the others in the area (one of them calls themself the Kahuna of Route 12 so let's call them Route Kahunas). I personally find them quite special, considering they are not major NPCs but still have interesting team rosters (one of them has an Alakazam and Hariyama, this is certainly not seen in every team) and most of them using Z-Moves even made them feel more interesting.

2nd, idk why but I personally like a lot the Forces of Nature's backstory, where Landorus punished the other 2 for racing. Idk, it just seems really interesting and unique (compared to other trios)

3rdly, Glalie is my 2nd favorite Pokemon, it's related to a meme from a certain room on PS though its Mega Evolution is pretty cool

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Legendary/Mythical Or Ultra Beast/Special:
Well if we're to go by the SM & USUM Pokedex, when it comes to Legendary, Mythical, Ultra Beasts, and the Type: Null family it gives them a special colored frame instead of the usual blue:

For the Cosmog family, Necrozma, Magearna, Marshadow, and Zeraora they get a gold frame.
For Ultra Beasts, Type: Null family, and Island Guardians they get a green frame.

So this seems to indicate that the Pokemon that got a green frame are considered "special" Pokemon and separate from usual Legendary & Mythicals.

... Which would have made sense if it was just for the Ultra Beasts and Type: Null family, though them giving the frame to the Island Guardians complicate things as they're treated like Legendary Pokemon. Now I could just be misinterpreting what the colors mean, there does seem to be a kind of Legendary hierarchy and with the gold frame being for super rare Legendaries/Mythicals while the green being for the "lesser" Legendaries. Like if they did this for the Sinnoh Dex then they would give the green frame to Regigigas, Heatran, Cresselia, and the Lake Guardians.

I just want the next gen to focus on having solid gameplay, cool new pokemon, some balance and qol changes and most importantly, NO GIMMICK. Just focused pokemon gameplay.
Or how about this for a gimmick: actually focusing, fixing, and expanding upon Mega Evolutions and Z-Moves. And if they REALLY must add something new, I'd say have a way to combine Mega Evolutions and Z-Moves together (and if I can think of a way they can do it without it being broken, GF can).

Tbh I don’t really see how half of the ultra beasts really look any “weirder” than normal mons. Like does Guzzlord, Buzzwole (lets be real people would be hyped as fuck if it was just a vanilla legendary) Naganadel, or Pheromosa really stand out that much to you people? The only one that have a dramatically different designs like Celesteela, Kartana, and Blacephalon (basically those 3 really, I personally love their designs but I can see the turn off) that I can see as too far out.

Like I bet if most of the UBs weren’t arbitrarily put into a different group people wouldn’t be whining.
If I remember correctly, GF said that the Ultra Beasts were designed by breaking "rules" they have for Pokemon designs. Like the example they gave is that they normally wouldn't give a sea jelly a glass-like texture. Of course the problem with this is that we don't know these rules so we can only guess what rules the Ultra Beasts are breaking as otherwise they look like just strange Legendary Pokemon.

Legendary/Mythical Or Ultra Beast/Special:
Well if we're to go by the SM & USUM Pokedex, when it comes to Legendary, Mythical, Ultra Beasts, and the Type: Null family it gives them a special colored frame instead of the usual blue:

For the Cosmog family, Necrozma, Magearna, Marshadow, and Zeraora they get a gold frame.
For Ultra Beasts, Type: Null family, and Island Guardians they get a green frame.

So this seems to indicate that the Pokemon that got a green frame are considered "special" Pokemon and separate from usual Legendary & Mythicals.

... Which would have made sense if it was just for the Ultra Beasts and Type: Null family, though them giving the frame to the Island Guardians complicate things as they're treated like Legendary Pokemon. Now I could just be misinterpreting what the colors mean, there does seem to be a kind of Legendary hierarchy and with the gold frame being for super rare Legendaries/Mythicals while the green being for the "lesser" Legendaries. Like if they did this for the Sinnoh Dex then they would give the green frame to Regigigas, Heatran, Cresselia, and the Lake Guardians.

Or how about this for a gimmick: actually focusing, fixing, and expanding upon Mega Evolutions and Z-Moves. And if they REALLY must add something new, I'd say have a way to combine Mega Evolutions and Z-Moves together (and if I can think of a way they can do it without it being broken, GF can).

If I remember correctly, GF said that the Ultra Beasts were designed by breaking "rules" they have for Pokemon designs. Like the example they gave is that they normally wouldn't give a sea jelly a glass-like texture. Of course the problem with this is that we don't know these rules so we can only guess what rules the Ultra Beasts are breaking as otherwise they look like just strange Legendary Pokemon.
I think it's just the gold "holofoil" being for the very rare legendary/mythical Pokemon and the green is for "more visible" legendary Pokemon like the Tapu and Silvally.

Honestly, it'd be nice if normal legendary Pokemon could keep reappearing, save maybe for the brand new ones. I mean, if they want wormholes to basically just poop them out so they don't have to think too hard on an explanation... they could at least allow multiples to be captured. (plus it'll all be for naught come the next generation games anyway when everything needs a green polka dot now or whatever so what's the harm?)

Sondero

Don't you dare say you'd rather lose!
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
I think the Key distinction between Gold and Green frames is that green framed Pokemon aren't restricted/disallowed in formats like VGC, while Pokemon with the gold frame are restricted. Even Cosmog and Cosmoem follow this pattern.

Last edited:
Pokemon reminds me of Fire Emblem in that way. Both series use "high damage, low health" battle systems, as opposed to more conventional Japanese RPGs.
The thing is, Fire Emblem is a Franchise that is designed to be a legitimate challenge. On the Ultra Necrozma is a fight that you can totally cheese with Perish Song or a OHKO
Move. In Fire Emblem, that’s not gonna work. The boss will have skills that disable those cheese methods, and even have skills which make it harder to KO by reducing damage. Also even if there’s only one Enemy first, infinite waves of reinforcements are certain to be coming, unlike Pokémon where it’s usually 6 v 1

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Honestly, it'd be nice if normal legendary Pokemon could keep reappearing, save maybe for the brand new ones. I mean, if they want wormholes to basically just poop them out so they don't have to think too hard on an explanation... they could at least allow multiples to be captured. (plus it'll all be for naught come the next generation games anyway when everything needs a green polka dot now or whatever so what's the harm?)
Eh, I'm kind of tired of the post games "Legendary Hunts" if I were to be honest. It was a neat thing in ORAS though I started to feel it was being used as a slight post game crutch in USUM. Not that I don't want to see old Legendaries, but I would rather seem them a bit more spread out. Like we got so many Legendaries we might as well split groups between versions, or have different members within groups appear in different versions.

"Huh, but that would make filling the Regional Pokedex SO annoying"

In that case I then say don't have older gen Legendaries part of the Regional Dex (or only have the ones catchable in that version required).

Of course there's a lot they could do with Legendary Pokemon to make them the least bit more interesting, but if it's not the gen those Legendaries debut they might as well be Ditto who are impostering as all those Legendaries.

There are easier ways: the trade Machop or a female Geodude will also do the job quite nicely.
You could also set-up on her Clefairy with those barely used Battle Items (and hope Metronome doesn't mess with you).

The thing is, Fire Emblem is a Franchise that is designed to be a legitimate challenge. On the Ultra Necrozma is a fight that you can totally cheese with Perish Song or a OHKO
Move. In Fire Emblem, that’s not gonna work. The boss will have skills that disable those cheese methods, and even have skills which make it harder to KO by reducing damage. Also even if there’s only one Enemy first, infinite waves of reinforcements are certain to be coming, unlike Pokémon where it’s usually 6 v 1
And it wouldn't be that hard to make "boss" Pokemon with special attributes. They sort of started in USUM with the Totem Pokemon, but that was just a plain ol' stat increase. Also interesting idea they had in Pokemon Conquest was giving Trainers their own Abilities.

You could also set-up on her Clefairy with those barely used Battle Items (and hope Metronome doesn't mess with you).
Battle Items are your best friends if you're doing a solo run with something weak like Jigglypuff. Guard Spec's debuff blocking ability is especially underrated.

Eh, I'm kind of tired of the post games "Legendary Hunts" if I were to be honest. It was a neat thing in ORAS though I started to feel it was being used as a slight post game crutch in USUM. Not that I don't want to see old Legendaries, but I would rather seem them a bit more spread out. Like we got so many Legendaries we might as well split groups between versions, or have different members within groups appear in different versions.

In that case I then say don't have older gen Legendaries part of the Regional Dex (or only have the ones catchable in that version required).

Of course there's a lot they could do with Legendary Pokemon to make them the least bit more interesting, but if it's not the gen those Legendaries debut they might as well be Ditto who are impostering as all those Legendaries.

The reason I believe that Legendary Hunts are a thing because of the new origin marking rule. Since only Pokemon with the clover/pentagon are allowed in VGC, they have to do it in case they have a format in which restricted legends are allowed. The fact Gen 6 and 7 has GS Cup as a ruleset supports my theory.

Also, I just realized that Unown is the only Pokemon not allowed in Gen 7 clover formats due to the origin marking rule.

I'm glad they count the Ultra Beasts as they bring some diversity to a gang overcrowded by psychics, dragons, and psychic-dragons.

Especially poor poison-type, as it now has two true legendary lines in Nihilgeo and the Poipole family.

Edit: Wow, I'm sorry this post is really late to the game. For some reason my computer didn't load everything after Detective Barricade's post from yesterday.

The reason I believe that Legendary Hunts are a thing because of the new origin marking rule. Since only Pokemon with the clover/pentagon are allowed in VGC, they have to do it in case they have a format in which restricted legends are allowed. The fact Gen 6 and 7 has GS Cup as a ruleset supports my theory.
That's correct. The presence of all the legendaries somewhere in postgame is due to VGC necessities.

In order to it bring removed they'd need to give up the "caught in this gen" rule, which has negative implications both economically (you'd not have reason to buy the other version or look for trades) and competitively (having access to a old event or particular gen pokemon would give a unfair advantage and just further increase the already significant need to gen/hack pokemon)

The only one to feature in a regional dex outside of its home region to date is Zygarde. (and even then it was poorly explained what it was doing there) I don't mind if filling the national dex is a chore, as it's meant to be a challenge. (and perhaps incentive for returning players to transfer their old Pokemon up through Bank.

Like what Leader Wallace said, the main reason they do these huge Legendary hunts is because they want VGC to require everything to originate from the newest generation of games. Had a competent gen 6 native Pokemon? Too bad! You need the black clover of Alola now! And come gen 8, you'll need the purple square or the green Pikachu tail or whatever. (assuming it'll be possible to transfer Pokemon from the 3DS to the Switch)

My point was if they're not gonna be bothered to make hunting these things interesting and with a bit of story to explain why they're there, they can at least make it so players can catch multiples of them if they desire. At this point, they're only special for their home region. After that, no one cares.
That's correct. The presence of all the legendaries somewhere in postgame is due to VGC necessities.

In order to it bring removed they'd need to give up the "caught in this gen" rule, which has negative implications both economically (you'd not have reason to buy the other version or look for trades) and competitively (having access to a old event or particular gen pokemon would give a unfair advantage and just further increase the already significant need to gen/hack pokemon)
Then perhaps they should either make some of these powerful event moves part of these Pokemon's normal move pool or re-release the Pokemon with these events for the current gen. (Entei's practically useless without Extreme Speed, and why the hell is V-Create not part of Victini's level up pool when that's its signature move?)

It's about as likely to happen as a Komala waking up, but there are ways they could drop the "current gen native" rule without upsetting the balance too much.

It's about as likely to happen as a Komala waking up, but there are ways they could drop the "current gen native" rule without upsetting the balance too much.
All it'd take would be simply making event exclusive mons part of movesets, and re-release the missing HA pokes (basically only Genies) in the next games.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
My point was if they're not gonna be bothered to make hunting these things interesting and with a bit of story to explain why they're there, they can at least make it so players can catch multiples of them if they desire. At this point, they're only special for their home region. After that, no one cares.
What has your personal opinion about the reasons we were given in the previous two? My takes:

ORAS: In ORAS it was because of Hoopa's rings, for some reason they appeared around the region. I'll give this one credit as for some of them you had to actually explore to find the rings. And for those you didn't they all had their own requirements which you could manipulate so that you know what Legendary you're getting thus can prepare for it (aka bring the right Synchronizer). In addition it was an add-on to the Soaring, something which was fun and a neat idea. Also, this one gets slack for being the first Legendary hunt.

USUM: In USUM you had to play the Ultra Space Ride. Not only did you need to be "good" at this mini-game that could be finicky at times, there was also plenty of luck elements so even if you did good either you couldn't find the right level or color of portal (and if you had to settle for a level 3 portal you had to be lucky you got a Legendary). And since the Legendary is random it won't be until you get to only having a couple of left when you could probably bring in a few Synchronizer and still had enough battle-able Pokemon who could wall it while you try catching it. By far this is a way NOT to do a Legendary hunt as it felt no fun.

I get they can't give each Legendary group its own story or special location and have it smoothly wield together, but at the same time I also wouldn't mind a story that tried to. Because both ORAS and USUM the Legendary hunt was "just there". Like, how about making the story where a scientist is using a machine to attract the Legendaries or finding a portal going into their domain? Or maybe have these locations around the region where upon doing a certain requirement it summons the Legendary. Maybe even make the evil team involved or the Pokemon League. I may be asking much, but after ORAS (which gets the excuse of being the first) you should be giving us something a bit more to chew on.

Am I the only one who feels all these legendaries shouldn't be in the games in the first place? If it was up to me, have the cover legendaries in the game, a mythical, and maybe one or two older legendaries which are given story reasons to be there and special areas to reside in, maybe even a little quest or something. I feel like "legendary" Pokemon being this abundant kind of robs them of their legendary status in the first place. (Have I said the word "legendary" enough?)

Am I the only one who feels all these legendaries shouldn't be in the games in the first place? If it was up to me, have the cover legendaries in the game, a mythical, and maybe one or two older legendaries which are given story reasons to be there and special areas to reside in, maybe even a little quest or something. I feel like "legendary" Pokemon being this abundant kind of robs them of their legendary status in the first place. (Have I said the word "legendary" enough?)
Again, they are in the games for VGC purposes. It has no link to any of the storylines. They can't not put them unless they significantly alter the VGC ruleset.

First of all I apologize for my sincere opinions on Pokémon to the general, I wrote a list with 10 arguments:

1- Currently I can not imagine Gyarados being a Dragon-type Pokémon, its Water-type and Flying-type perfectly match with their characteristics.

2- I do not like Ash Ketchum's personality, I think he is very proud and does not realize his current reality, he just wants to advance in the anime but he does not think that for every success there is always a failure.

3- I find it very funny the fact that every generation there are always Pikachu-like Pokémon, such as Pachirisu, Mimikyu and Dedenne.

4- I've always really enjoyed the legendary trios we have in the anime, such as Entei, Raikou and Suicune and Landorus, Thundurus and Tornadus.

5- The people have always been very impressed with Rayquaza, both in anime and games, but for me there are several other Dragon-type Pokémon more interesting, an example is Latias.

6- I've never been drawn to any initial Fire-type, always end up opting for Water-type, one of my favorites is Popplio.

7- My favorite legendary Pokémon is Xerneas, represents a lot to me of LGBTQ+ group.

8- My favorite Ultra Beast is Pheromosa, just because it is gorgeous.

9- I would like very much to have another mega Pokémon options, actually my favorite is Altaria-Mega, but I also love Ampharos-Mega.

10- My favorite type is the Fairy-type.

Again, they are in the games for VGC purposes. It has no link to any of the storylines. They can't not put them unless they significantly alter the VGC ruleset.
I see the problem, but I feel like there's a different solution here. I'd go for something like this: Have two different metagames, one with the symbol like it is now, and another one where anything's fair game. Or have the "must be born in the region" thing only apply to things you can actually get in those games.

Maybe that's just me, but I feel like the multiplayer aspect ruins the games in a way, because it forces the developers to find ways to include all those Pokemon from earlier generations, along with all the evolution items, mega stones, and all of that stuff. Look at Mauville City in ORAS to see how that turns out. I just find it weird that something like Pokebank exists, and yet it's ultimately pointless.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 14)