SM OU Update for SM? (Current peak 1500)

Hi All,

I'll be honest, I'm pretty sure this is almost exactly verbatim a team that was posted in XY OU RMT, but I cannot remember who posted it. There's also a slight chance I made my own changes to it, but it's been so long...............

Anyway, this was my favorite team in XY. I got up to about 1700 with it. However, it has become outdated in the SM meta, currently floundering around 1500, and I would love some thoughts on how to update it. I'm not married to any mon on the team, and would be fine doing away with the sand aspect.

Hastebin of full team: https://hastebin.com/xobicewaqa.diff

Tyranitar @ Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Def / 180 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Ice Beam

Standard (I think?) gen 6 bulky T-Tar lead, with ice beam for the old lando leads. Struggles to get rocks up right now in the current meta, but is still one of the two primary sand setters for OU.

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Another standard set, offensive EVs (can run adamant). Rapid spin is a 4th move since Excadrill doesn't have a great movepool, but outside of kyub, this team isn't very weak to rocks so it's not a must-click. Basically, you want to send in this dude and poke holes in the enemy team.

Alakazam-Mega @ Alakazite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Substitute

I love this Alakazam set. Substitute baits sucker punch, and even mega Mawile does not care to take a focus blast to the face. EVs are max speed timid, which unfortunately is now slower than max speed timid/jolly pheromosa (not a problem if phero is banned, though). Shadow Ball isn't seeing much use right now so I've considered switching to dazzling gleam. His role on the team is to assist excadrill in doing big chunks of damage to the enemy. Can potentially sweep I guess, but not really.

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Outrage
- Iron Head
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt

Wallbreaker/Game finisher Kyub. Naive nature so ice beam is usable. Used to be, you could send in this guy towards the end of the game and things would be weak enough from exca/zam that you could just click outrage and win. The surplus of fairy types has heavily dented its use, though. Fusion bolt is still really nice to have; it eats up Celesteela and is a guaranteed 2HKO on Bold 252 Def Toxapex after rocks. The high use of defensive Tangrowth is annoying, though.

Landorus-Therian @ Yache Berry
Ability: Intimidate
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off
- U-turn

I'm pretty sure the original team didn't use Yache Berry, but I really liked baiting mega manectric back in the day. I've actually started using Rockium Z instead though, since the main ice threats (greninja) are going to OHKO it regardless. I suppose Passho Berry could be an option. Basically this is just an offensive midground set that doesn't do a lot in the current meta, but was pretty useful in the knock-off happy gen 6.

Clefable @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Fire Blast
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunderbolt

Everyone's favorite gen 6 splashmon. I was expecting Clefable to perform the poorest on this team in gen 7, but I've actually had pretty good success with it - people don't expect the fire blast / tbolt combination so I get a lot of kills on scizor (when they expect a switch and try to defog) and ferrothorn, plus pretty decent damage to tapu fini. It worked really well on this team because sand doesn't bother it and allowed excadrill to focus more on damage than rapid spinning.

Tell me what you think!

Chokepic

You're a choker if you say you've never choked
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
There are no mega manectrics in gen 7, manectricite is unreleased. You actually do not have a z-move, so use z-fly lando-t. I think you have to replace the clefable, in this meta clefable is not as good as it was in oras, right now is in uu and not very good in OU except in stall. You need a grass type, put an av tangrowth there.

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Sludge Bomb

Landorus-Therian @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Intimidate
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Fly
- Stealth Rock

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)