UU Community Create-a-Team - Team #5 | Hiatus

I too will abstain on voting for the 6th slot to be fair.

But I will actually vote to keep Swellow in order to preserve the VoltTurn momentum generated by the team currently (even if MAero and Latias have their merits). I would also suggest giving Swellow Sleep Talk over Heat Wave to absorb sleep for our team - a valuable asset from my experience.

My thoughts are that, the potential replacement for Swellow is predicated by who the 6th poke is. If it is Clefable, then MAero is desperately needed (although Latias as a fire resist and Healing Wish support would be nice too). But if my Keldeo nomination wins the 6th slot, then it's the best of both worlds in that it adds another fire resist, and beats everything MAero is designed to do (Zydog, Krook, other MAero), but all in one mon rather than two. This is getting long (and I already said most of this in my nom post), but basically I'm wondering if we should hold off on voting for Swellow's replacement until we know the 6th slot.

I vote to keep loudbirb and for keldeo for the 6th.
- while i found sleep talk to be extremely valuable WHEN sleep was used most matches i prefed or wanted heatwave to help deal with zor.
- for starmie i for both ice beam and psyshock usefull so i cant really say whick id prefer, ive tried both and it was very match up dependent on which would put i more work. The only down side was there is alot of dark spam for psyshock was generally more prediction relient to get off any damage.

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
hmm I'll vote again lel,

based on the team so far... I think Clefable will fit better since we lack solid Dragon-type checks, also fully Defensive Clefable can help check Mega-Aerodactyl decently well too so we won't have to overly rely on Cobalion as our Mega Aero check. As for Swellow, I believe that Mega Aerodactyl would be a perfect replacement. While we do end up steering away from the initial VoltTurn strategy (which was kinda lost during round 4 lol), Mega Aerodactyl will provide a Ground-immunity (so we don't have to rely on Starmie all the time since Starmie is checking a lot of threats by itself) as well as speed.

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
Ok got stuck at work but, I'm back for the formal post sooooo...

Swellow will be booted for Mega-Aerodactyl and, Clefable takes the 6th slot

Clefable - 3
Keldeo- 2

Mega Aerodactyl - 4
Swellow - 3
Latias - 2

Aerodactyl @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Wing Attack
- Stone Edge
- Hone Claws / Earthquake / Aqua Tail
- Taunt

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunder Wave
- Flamethrower
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled

Raikou @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Heracross @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Facade
- Swords Dance

Aerodactyl @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Tough Claws
Jolly Nature
- Wing Attack
- Stone Edge
- Hone Claws / Earthquake / Aqua Tail
- Taunt

Cobalion @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Volt Switch

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock / Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Flamethrower
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Random Battle Lead
I'm quite satisfied with how the team is in its current state, actually. Though we may have strayed from our original plan of VoltTurn, we didn't necessarily need to keep it that way anyway. Heck, we might be able to slap a Z-move on there somewhere if we want to do so.

Also you have no idea how much I regret suggesting Swellow.

I'm still a little wary of our matchup with opposing MAero - but I may be a little biased since no scarfer aka Keldeo made the team lol ;)
But overall, the team is pretty fine. Shuca Cobalion and Clef is probably enough defensively to counter MAero. For a few minor things, I would suggest EQ as the third move on our MAero (we don't really need another set-up mon and EQ hits non-scarved threats like Raikou, Gengar and Bisharp) and Psyshock as the second move on Starmie to hit Calm Mind users and other special walls. Finally, I agree with Cake in that a Z-move could be added, but I'm not sure who could use it other than Raikou (and that would involve switching the moveset we already agreed on)

I second what OrangeGuru says, specifically EQ on MAero and Psyshock on Starmie. However, as much as I like the idea of a Z-move user, I don't think we could fit one on the team, seeing as the only mon I'd put a z-move on would be Cobalion (withholding Raikou, of course), but I prefer the current Cobalion set for the team at the moment. I'll playtest the team before I make a final decision though

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Random Battle Lead
Yo, I've got a neat idea for a Z-move to add to our team (Well, it's from a UUPL game actually, but it'd still be good for the team).

So, we're a little bit weak to Scarf Krookodile with our current team setup. Because of this, I think we might benefit from Waterium Z on our Starmie. Sure, the leftovers recovery is nice, but Waterium Z allows us to get a clean OHKO on Krookodile and Maero in sand after rocks, while also preventing Krook from OHKOing Starmie with Knock Off. Waterium Z Starmie can also put a nice dent in opposing Clefable (Which we struggle with) if needed.

That's my suggestion, anyway. We don't necessarily have to take it, since it shouldn't be too necessary. What do you guys think?

EDIT: Also voting EQ and psyshock

Last edited:

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Between Heracross, Mega Aerodactyl, Shuca Berry Cobalion, and Clefable, I don't think Scarf Krookodile is an enormous threat to our team that we can't easily punish. At the very best it's either finishing off Raikou/Aerodactyl/Cobalion, or getting a cheap Pursuit off on one of the former two. Waterium-Z Starmie is cool but I feel like we're just putting on a Z-move for the sake of having one. Being able to OHKO Mega Aerodactyl in sand isn't too bad, though, but for what it's worth I think the recovery from Leftovers will help us a lot more.

Also voting Earthquake and Psyshock because screw opposing Raikou and Keldeo

Ok so, time to analyse this team. I'm not gonna lie, it looks pretty solid, but I think we should change some things. First of all, we have Thunder Wave Clefable and defensive Starmie, so I think we don't need Shuca on Cobalion anymore. Since the team is lacking a Z-Crystal, I think Fightinium Z would be a better pick, as it gives Cobalion a nuke and can't be Knocked Off. I also think Mega Aerodactyl's set should be Aqua Tail / Earthquake / Stone Edge / Wing Attack, since it helps a lot against things that can annoy the team, such as Raikou and Gliscor. Psyshock Starmie is fine imo.

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
alright based on the team, the only big threat I see left is Calm Mind Clefable soooooo I can see replacing Flamethrower with Encore would have its merit. However, this would make the team quite vulnerable to offensive Scizor since Cobalion is our only answer to it and Scizor could easily pull out Superpower.

the changes made currently will be used as "starting changes" for the team raters to see whether or not they agree with the proposed changes. Anyways, the discussion will now close as we prepare the RMT and Team 2. So take some time to think of the next Pokemon/Core we will be focusing on for the next one ^^

Expect Team 2 to start once the RMT goes up

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
Ok now that the RMT is up, you can view it here -> http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/uu-community-create-a-team-1.3601706/#post-7323762

We will now begin with Team #2!

All submissions must include...
- either 1 Pokemon or a 2-Pokemon core
- the set(s) in this format

Pokemon @ Item
Ability: -
EVs: -
Nature
- Move
- Move
- Move
- Move

- and an explanation of why you chose this set and potentially, why it is better than the other options.

Remember that Pokemon can be recommended more than once, IF they have multiple unique sets!

Post away~

Submissions will end on 4/22/2017 @9PM PST!

Last edited:

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
Random Battle Lead

Hawlucha @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 28 HP / 248 Atk / 232 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Acrobatics
- High Jump Kick
- Swords Dance

There's not much I can say about Hawlucha that I haven't said in other posts around the UU forums. It's a great cleaner/sweeper in the current metagame, and quite underrated. The given spread lets it outspeed base 115 mons while also being able to activate unburden after switching into rocks twice and subbing once, just in case.

This mon enjoys the support of wallbreakers, things that can deal more easily with the Psychic and Fairy types in the tier, and it also enjoys things that can take out Scizor easily (Especially the Band set, which Hawlucha struggles with more than the others). It also can synergize somewhat with mons with Fighting or Dark weaknesses thanks to its innate ability to punish choice-locked fighting and dark moves. Or, you know, you could just add more flying types to the team until all of Lucha's checks die from getting bravely birded to death. That works too.

I had to recommend this for one of these sooner or later. Might as well do it now.

sparrow

kacaw
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Congratulations on finishing the first team guys! The final team looks great and interesting to play with, I'll be sure to test it and hopefully offer some suggestions later on. I must apologise for the lack of contribution on my behalf; I lost a ton of interest after the addition of Swellow on the first team. From this I would like to address a point, we should aim to make healthy discussion and I encourage that we please justify our votes when voting. I feel justification of reasoning as well as healthy, constructive feedback would really help this thread, and help us all, as players, to learn.

Onto my submission! I would like to nominate Primarina. This Pokemon is a massive threat in the current metagame, due to its fantastic typing both offensively and defensively. Prima can run coverage to hit common switch ins such as Amoonguss, and dedicated counters are not difficult to handle, those being: Blissey, Snorlax & Empoleon. Downsides to Primarina are its low speed tier and the fact that it's easily revenge KO'd because of this. Most of the time Primarina is running max speed in order to alleviate this, but I've also seen a few people running bulkier spreads, in order to afford more survivability whilst still being fast enough to out pace threats to its team. Due to this I would like to leave the EV spread for Primarina up for debate, I've seen some very interesting options in the past where Primarina has been run along stand alone Trick Room sweepers such as Reuniclus & Cofagrigus - perhaps this could be the path we choose to follow.

Primarina @ Choice Specs
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 SpA / ??? / ???
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Scald / Energy Ball / Sparkling Aria

Last edited:

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Haxorus @ Life Orb / Lum Berry / Dragonium Z
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Poison Jab / Iron Tail

It's UU for a reason ain't it? A setup sweeper I feel isn't seen enough in the meta, DD Haxorus is pretty potent and I have seen it used to success on offensive teams. Of course offensive checks like Scizor and Scarf Hydreigon will be annoying for this guy, as well as things like Clefable and Klefki. But given that Haxorus can break through Unaware Quagsire/Clefable commonly seen on stall teams, it's got a lot of potential that I think would be kind of cool to explore in a project such as this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)