[UU] Gligar Baton Pass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Um, I'm kind of new to this, so I'm just gonna post a skeleton. Or, at least, what I think is a skeleton.

Name: Baton Pass
Move 1: Rock Polish
Move 2: Swords Dance
Move 3: Baton Pass
Move 4: Taunt/Roost
Item: Leftovers/Yache Berry
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 SpD

Why this deserves to be on site:

- UU has no real Baton Passers that actually do their job well enough. You've got about two (Blaziken and Ambipom), three if you really wanna push it (either Leafeon or Scyther).
- Gligar can actually function as a wall in UU, even with a Baton Pass set, though obviously, you'd still want to focus on Passing.
- Um...here are some statistics of this set, against some of the more common UU Pokemon. These stats were taken with Light Screen/Reflect in action, which is how this set should really be used.

0 SpAtk Bold Milotic's Surf vs 252/240 Bold Gligar (light screen): 32.3% - 38.3%
252 SpAtk Modest LO Moltres's Fire Blast vs 252/240 Bold Gligar (light screen): 43.1% - 50.6%
252 Atk Adament LO Arcanine's Flare Blitz vs 252/16 Bold Gligar (Reflect): 29.9% - 35.3%

Additional Comments:

Gligar really likes to have Light Screen and Reflect up. Yache or Passho Berry can be used as opposed to Leftovers, and Roost can be used over Taunt, though, I wouldn't recommend it, seeing as you can be Tricked a Choice item, or Taunted yourself.

There's no need to run Speed EVs since, after a Rock Polish, you'll be out-speeding quite a bit of the UU meta-game regardless, so it's better to put those EVs into Gligar's less than stellar Special Defense stat.

Teammates:

Dual Screen Uxie is a great teammate for Gligar, able to use attacks like Memento and U-turn to get Gligar a free pass in. Bibarel and Arcanine work well as recipients, though, Arcanine wants to be a bit careful if you think you'll be coming into a Water-type attack.

Bibarel works damn near perfectly with this set, resisting Gligar's two weaknesses of Ice and Water, while boasting incredible Attack and Speed stats after being passed Agility and Swords Dance (using Simple of course). You may also want to run a Ghost-type on your team, since Pokemon with Explosion can heavily damage your recipient (or Gligar), making your boosting pointless.

Counters:

Pokemon that use Choice Scarf Ice and Water attacks, though, after a Rock Polish, you should be able to out-speed a few of them. Yache Berry can somewhat alleviate this problem, allowing you to get off a Baton Pass without taking major damage.

---

Okay, that was my first set. How'd I do? I know that it's sloppy, probably riddled with errors, but the set itself is good. I mentioned Reflect and Light Screen a lot, since this set benefits from it quite a bit. If someone could do a much better write-up of this (since I know mine sucks), I'd be extremely grateful.

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
Already on site with a different EV spread. If you can show that the more defensive EVs allows it to survive something extra, maybe we'll edit the on-site analysis to reflect that.

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Sorry but this set does not seem too efficient and looks worse than the current baton pass set on site. Without the added speed it is easily outsped and taunted before you get a chance to taunt your opponent. Looking at the latest shoddy server stats more than half of ambipom are running taunt in their repertoire and it isn't an uncommon pokemon in UU so that would be worth a mention as a counter. Additionally, using damage calculations solely based on something situational like setting up screens doesn't really sell this set, if you could provide some logs that would be better or actual damage calcs without screens.

Unless I'm mistaken, when Ambipom switches into Gligar, it is outspeed at +2 and Taunted, 0 speed or 252 speed[EVs]. I'm pretty sure "more than half" of ambipom are leads, which you don't switch no attacks gligar into anyway, right?

It might do better if you max it's special defensive capabilities, so without screens or stealth rock, it can survive a moltres fire blast and an arcanine flare blitz. And milotic surf, but the other set does that too, I think. A suggestion from an ignorant bystander.

Eo Ut Mortus

Elodin Smells
is a Programmeris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
OP seems inactive and hasn't bothered to answer the above questions. Locking and moving; if anyone has a good reason as to why this should remain open, please PM me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)