ORAS UU UU Mamo(Best Mon) Team - Oras UU (1708 Peak)

robjr

is a Tiering Contributoris a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Two-Time Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
RUPL Champion
The Squad

Introduction
Welcome to my first ever RMT! I have always been toying with different variations of this team but i think I have found the right one. I have done very well with this team on the ladder, peaking with this team at 1704, enough to get me to top 10 on the ladder. I am bringing this team to RMT to share it with people but to still get opinions on it.

My Thought Process When Building The Team

The first Pokemon I wanted to add was Mamoswine. In this UU meta game, mamoswine is one of the best if not the best wall breakers in UU. Its switches that can take two hits are very limited, and is very tough to play around even if you have one. Its ice shard is also very nice for salamence, weakened mega aerodactyl etc.

The next Pokemon I added to the team was banded heracross. The main switches into a life orb mamoswine are alomomola and suicune. Heracross can two hit ko both (depending on the alomomola spread) and also has guts which heracross could get if it is burned by a scald. It also is just another fabulous wallbreaker with few switches within the tier.

Next, seeing my common weakness of fire and the prevalence of entei in the meta game (as well as darmanitan and arcanine), I decided to add Alomomola to the team. It helps cover my fire weakness but it is also an amazing physical wall for some of the main physical threats in the tier, like krookodile, lucario, crobat and most importantly, mamoswine. Alomomola does have to be aware that a lucario could set up on it, and that it could be special lucario.

The next pokemon I decided I needed was a special wall. Two in particular came to mind, in blissey and florges. I decided to add blissey to the team in the end. First of all, it is an amazing special wall which the team needed. It is something that can switch into things like zapdos, porygon z, chandelure etc. Blissey does have to be aware of the ladder two tricking it a scarf or specs, crippling it. The last reason I added blissey was because i wanted heal bell support for alomomola so it can heal off toxics.

The next pokemon I wanted on the team was a spinner but also a rocker. There were two options I could have chosen, but I went with forretress. It is a good rocker and spinner within the tier, and can gain itself momentum vs spin blockers with volt switch. Also like alomomola, it provides me with another great physical wall.

The last pokemon I added to the team was another great wall breaker in entei. Some people may thing I dont need entei with the team I currently have, but entei can beat most walls other then bulky water types, and it has some of the best priority in the game in extreme speed.

Meet the team

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off

I decided to add Mamoswine because it has a great typing of ground and ice and is a great wall breaker. It is meant to come in and hit the opponents team very hard. It also gives me priority ice shard for one of the tiers top Pokemon salamence. Earthquake is for very strong stab, the double ice stab is for grass and flying types and good priority. Icicle crash is just generally good for earthquake resists. The life orb allows it to hit as hard as it can without being locked into a move with a band.

Heracross @ Choice Band
Ability: Guts
Evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Megahorn
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge

Heracross was added to the team because it is a fabulous wall breaker and can switch into a suicune scald and benefit from a burn. Its role on the team is to force switches and generally wall break similar to mamoswine and generally wear down teams for a possible priority sweep. Close Combat and Megahorn are for very strong stab moves. Stone edge is for flying types that resist both stabs like zapdos and salamence and knock off is to get rid of items. The band is there for optimal wall breaking abilitys.

Alomomola @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EV's: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Protect
- Wish
- Toxic
- Scald

Alomomola was chosen because the team needed an answer to fire types and a good physical wall in general. It is fully invested in defense with few EV's in special defensive because it is meant to be completely a physical wall. It is able to handle darmanitan and entei which the team would otherwise have issues with. Protect Wish is for scouting and reliable recovery. Toxic is to widdle down other walls that aren't immune and scald is for general stab and a chance for burns. The rocky helmet is for chip damage on physical attackers as it wont be hitting very hard as an attacker.

Blissey @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Softboiled
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic
- Heal Bell

I decided to use Blissey because I needed a good special wall for the team. It can switch into the huge special threats in the tier, like kyurem and porygon z, being aware some may carry trick. It handles a lot of the things my team currently had issues with. Softboiled is for reliable recovery and heal bell is to relieve status from my other team members if i need to. Seismic toss is for my only attack for reliable damage and toxic is to wear down other Pokemon. The leftovers if for residual recovery.

Forretress @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Gyro Ball
- Volt Switch

Forretress was added to the team because I needed a stealth rocker and a hazard remover. It is another very nice physical wall that can beat slurpuff even after a belly drum, which my team currently struggled with. Its main role is to get up hazards and keep them away. Stealth rocks is for hazards, rapid spin is for hazard control, volt switch is for momentum and gyro ball is for good stab vs fast Pokemon. The relaxed nature is to maximize the gyro ball damage. The rocky helmet is for chip damage.

Entei @ Choice Band
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Flare Blitz
- Extreme Speed
- Stone Edge

I decided to use Entei because I needed a fire type and it is a great revenge killer with really good priority. It is a great wall breaker and can switch into things like florges are give me offensive momentum. Sacred fire is also a very spammable strong fire move with a 50% burn chance. The double fire stab is for if sacred fire gets pp stalled I still have a very strong fire move. Stone edge is for things like salamence. Extreme speed is for really strong priority and the choice band helps give me a strong wall breaker and revenge killer.

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Hey PokeTCG gamer1288 this team looks like a lot of fun and I love the showcasing of Mamoswine as it a really solid Pokemon that applies a ton of pressure. That being said, I have some ideas that can make this team better so here we go!
  • First off, I noticed that the lack of a true Entei check is scary as hell since Alo hates getting burned from Sacred Fire and Entei switching in on Entei to take a hit is just...silly. So my first necessary change is to go Suicune > Alomomola. Suicune gives you not only a better Entei switchin, but doesn't fear the burn as much since Entei's Sacred Fire PP gets depleted quicker due to Pressure. Rest also helps to get rid of any potential burns, making Entei less of a problem to Suicune and the rest of the team overall. I particularly like the RoarCune set as it helps with this team's issue against setup sweepers such as opposing CM Suicune, CM Florges, Gyarados, etc. It also helps you to rack up entry hazard damage against the opponent, making it easier for you to wear them down.
  • While Blissey is a really nice special wall, it doesn't keep up with the offensive pressure this team applies so my next change is to have Florges > Blissey. I noticed you mentioned that you were torn between the two in the teambuilding process and I honestly feel that Florges fits this team better as it threatens Hydreigon, since Taunt Hydreigon completely shuts down Blissey, and Sableye, which would hate to be hurt by a Moonblast. Florges also provides you with a Draco Meteor switch-in as Forretress is your only resist and its Special Defense stat is lackluster to say the least as well as it gets OHKOed by Offensive Defog Salamence's common coverage, Fire Blast. I suggest the Calm Mind Florges set as it provides you with a very solid win condition that can also support the team with clerical support. Calm Mind Florges can also punish special attackers by setting up on them should they choose to try and stay in.
  • As much as I like the core of Mamoswine + Heracross, I really feel like Cobalion > Heracross provides this team with the utility and role compression it needs. Cobalion gives this team a way to grab momentum in Volt Switch while also being able to carry Stealth Rock (which is going to be needed after my next change). This does leave you really weak to opposing Water-types such as Suicune, Swampert, etc. which is a big problem, but the change to Cobalion I feel is necessary to make this team better; plus with Florges providing clerical support, you don't have to worry too much about status. Shuca Berry also allows Cobalion to check Ground-types it should be able to beat such as Mamoswine and Krookodile, which relieves pressure off of Suicune being the only "check" to them. It also allows Cobalion to tank an Earthquake from Mega Aerodactyl and OHKO with Iron Head after Stealth Rock damage, helping patch up that weakness somewhat.
  • This final change is one that should help with the Water weakness as well as provide a more offensive approach that I feel this team was going for. Zapdos > Forretress allows you to get rid of entry hazards with its Offensive Defog set while also pressuring Water-types not named Swampert with its STAB Thunderbolt, helping patch up the weakness that comes with the previous change. Zapdos does leave this team slightly weaker to Mega Aerodactyl, but it no longer carries a Fire weakness like Forretress and it has more staying power than Forretress.
Alternate Changes:
  • You could run Swords Dance > Volt Switch on Cobalion to give you a faster win condition than Florges; however, this means this team has no way of gathering momentum which can prove to be a bit of a problem as this "new and improved" team may have bulk to fall back on, but they can still get worn down pretty easily.
  • Chople Berry on Cobalion is nice to become an emergency check to Nasty Plot Lucario and other opposing Fighting-types such as Heracross. Leftovers is another option for Cobalion as it helps it reliably check Pokemon thanks to its typing, but this leaves your team struggling to stop Mamoswine, Krookodile, and Mega Aerodactyl as Suicune is your only answer, pressuring it to check too many threats for the team.
  • Charti Berry is a really nice option over Magnet or Expert Belt on Zapdos to lure in Mega Aerodactyl and proceed to take care of this threat. Heat Wave is also another choice over Hidden Power Grass / Ice as it can help against Cobalion that happen to carry Stone Edge, but you lose out on a way of hitting Swampert or Dragon-types.

Suicune @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 216 Def / 52 Spe
Bold Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Roar
- Scald

Florges @ Leftovers
Ability: Flower Veil
EVs: 248 HP / 236 Def / 24 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Synthesis
- Aromatherapy

Cobalion @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Close Combat
- Volt Switch
- Stealth Rock

Zapdos @ Magnet / Leftovers
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Thunderbolt
- Defog
- Hidden Power [Grass] / Hidden Power [Ice]
- Roost

Here you go! Hope you like my changes n_n

LRXC

ADV 1v1 Pioneer
is a Community Contributor
Hey man, Really nice team you got going there. I really think you should follow nv 's rate, he put a lot of time into it, and it was very beneficial and thought on (nice job nv). But other than that, I want to kind of add to his rate a little bit, and just quickly give some of my suggestions. nv's suicune and florges suggestions were spot on, that really helps your team in the offensive balance aspect. Especially with CM Florges. The first thing I think would be useful is Stealth Rocks > Knock Off on Mamoswine, this opens up Cobalion to be able to run a SD set, which your team could benefit from greatly as having no physical set up sweeper on a more offensive based team is a little weird. With this, like I said previously I would say run SD Cobalion > Support Cobalion. This allows your team to keep up offensive pressure much better. The other thing is that seriously, I would run Charti Berry on Zapdos. Though this is a niche option, It really helps you against things like Mega-Aerodactyl, and the others nv mentioned as Suicune has a lot of responsibility on this team. Charti Berry also possibly bluffs a choice set, but that is pretty minor. Lastly, I honestly think just go max def bold > Spdef on Florges, because Calm Mind already raises its sky high SpDef.

So basically, max defense on florges, replace knock off with stealth rock on mamo, and then run Swords Dance, iron head, close combat, volt switch on Cobalion. After this, put charti berry on zapdos, and also use hp grass > hp ice.

This was just a quick rate because honestly nv covered everything so well. Hope I helped man!

Hey nice team you've go there! Just have some optimizations for you!
  • Your team structure is a little all over the place; You have hazards and Blissey+Alomomola, which is a core that lends itself more to stall. And then you seem to have a Heracross/Entei/Mamoswine which offer little to no defensive synergy here. You have hazards but you don't really have anyway to protect them/ exploit them; this squad seems to fall somewhere between a stall team and a more offensive one; so I'd like to make some changes to help adjust it to something I think you'd like.
  • The team really struggles versus builds that rely on Hazards+Reuniclus and has even more trouble versus teams that have a proper spin blocker (i.e.Jellicent). And also for the most part struggles versus teams packing a CroCune or even Roar Cune; Suicune>Alomomola(like NV said) is probably for the best to exploit the hazards as is CM Florges>Blissey to make your build more stable versus Salamence, Hydreigon and Heracross. An even better option however is to go with Stallbreaker Jellicent to give you both counter play versus Suicune, AND give you a way to protect your hazards.
  • I'd also say Defensive Defog Salamence or MixDef Gligar>Entei helps the team play far better versus things like SD Lucario/SD Cobalion; Mix Defense Gligar, gives you counterplay versus Alakazam as well.
  • SD Lefties Heracross seems like it could fit and gives you a wincon, versus slower teams, that can stay around till late game. If you don't like this option something like Spikes/Taunt Chesnaught could give you hazards, and if it has Spiky Shield can force damage on to Gyarados.
  • For the last slot something like Bronzong or Porygon2 could work; letting you check Nidoqueen really well(both of them), with Porygon2 checking Salamence/Gyarados better. While Bronzong helps give this slower team counterplay versus opposing Calm Mind Florges.
Hope this rate helped!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)