VGC 2011 rules up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dimsun

VGC 2012 Seniors Champion
And to think we haven't even had this information for a week. I don't doubt that very, very much is being left undiscovered.

Alright - Another year of VGC brings me back to post again.

I LOVE this new ruleset. What a great way to refresh the rules.
I have been play testing a bit. Erufuun is easy to predict, but still a very dangerous competitor. Aakeosu looks nice regardless of it's ability. Zoroark if properly done can be a nice revenge killer. Ononokusu/Doryuuzu's power is just almost too good to pass up.

I have taken a liking to Ulgamoth.
Morning Sun/Butterfly dance, Bug Buzz, Fire Dance, Protect.

Ulgamoth gets Anger Powder too, right? Shame the ever present Rock Slide really gives a beating to it. It's also the fastest allowed user of Anger Powder, but still not quite fast enough to outspeed Kojondo's Fake Out, which is a pity.

breh

強いだね
Ulgamoth gets Anger Powder too, right? Shame the ever present Rock Slide really gives a beating to it. It's also the fastest allowed user of Anger Powder, but still not quite fast enough to outspeed Kojondo's Fake Out, which is a pity.
I still don't get why people don't just run double protect. I realize it takes up moveslots but heat wave and bug buzz are just good enough for ulgamoth as coverage; hell even heat wave on its own may be good enough

breh

強いだね
I apologize for bothering people, but will vgc be wireless or infared?

This is a really big issue; I'm leaning towards the latter but would like confirmation.

JRank

Jonny
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I apologize for bothering people, but will vgc be wireless or infared?

This is a really big issue; I'm leaning towards the latter but would like confirmation.
I'm sure you can find a picture of it somewhere, but a white box is used that connects the two DSes together. I would assume* that it's wired, but I'm not positive, it doesn't have any affect on things anyway.
*But you know what assuming does ;)

breh

強いだね
I'm sure you can find a picture of it somewhere, but a white box is used that connects the two DSes together. I would assume* that it's wired, but I'm not positive, it doesn't have any affect on things anyway.
*But you know what assuming does ;)
It has a huge effect - whether you see teams or not is determined by this.

If it's ir like I presume it will be, there is no team viewing.

If it's wireless, you view teams.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It has a huge effect - whether you see teams or not is determined by this.

If it's ir like I presume it will be, there is no team viewing.

If it's wireless, you view teams.
It's almost certainly going to be wireless using the Fresh Cup setting or whatever it's called. They're not going to change the equipment and if IR stands for Infared, it's far too spotty to use (although for wireless I believe they wire it anyway with their special equipment).

Nope, Encore just fails then because the user didn't execute the move because of Taunt. Needs testing on the DS I guess.

I didn't mean to say that Erufuun cannot get circumvented but the mere fact that EVERY set-up team has to fear getting priority-taunted or encored as well as its enormous versatility (priority Tailwind, priority Sunny Day, even Trick Room for fun) speaks for itself, doesn't it Kinneas? Maybe it's a bit too harsh to say that the people who have problems with it "aren't good in doubles" because it FORCES people to use less set-up and Protect and carry random Taunt users in the back as well as dedicated hardcore sweepers which is a clear metagame-domination in my eyes. Eventually everyone will find a way to play around Erufuun but the fact of its own that one has to play around it says everything about how potent it is.
So Erufuun is the new Shedinja? =P Everyone is super scared of it but it'll see very little actual use in the end?

breh

強いだね
To everbody: thanks for figuring that out! It's nice to know for practice purposes.

Otherwise, I don't recall what I did last year, but do you have the ability to bring 6 items even if you only have 4 pokes?

JRank

Jonny
To everbody: thanks for figuring that out! It's nice to know for practice purposes.

Otherwise, I don't recall what I did last year, but do you have the ability to bring 6 items even if you only have 4 pokes?
Yes you can have 6 items as long as you bring an extra two pokes to hold the items for you.

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
noob question: So you can arrange the items independently of the pokemon?
i.e. You choose 4 pokemon out of the 6, then give pokemon 1 an item from pokemon 6, which was not selected.

Is that how it's going to go?

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
noob question: So you can arrange the items independently of the pokemon?
i.e. You choose 4 pokemon out of the 6, then give pokemon 1 an item from pokemon 6, which was not selected.

Is that how it's going to go?
Yes, you can switch around the items at will between rounds if it works like last year.

Is freefall definitely banned? It'd make sense but I haven't seen official confirmation.
I don't think there has been a confirmation and there's a chance the glitch will be fixed in the NA and EU versions of the game.

Also, cant ir only be 3 vs 3 singles?
I know for a fact you can do singles, doubles, triples, or rotation on IR.

What I am less certain about but have heard to be true is that Infrared is used for the sake of setting up a connection (then it maintains the connection with wireless).

breh

強いだね
I know for a fact you can do singles, doubles, triples, or rotation on IR.

What I am less certain about but have heard to be true is that Infrared is used for the sake of setting up a connection (then it maintains the connection with wireless).
Sooo... is it wifi clause or not?

:/

Xia

On porpoise
is a Contributor Alumnus
Really looking forward to getting back into the swing of things with a refreshingly new metagame. In my opinion, Nintendo probably created the Isshu-only clause as a way to push the creative bounds of those competitors who only have to tweak their old teams a bit to handle new threats (and will probably help hammer out some new and non-weather ways to play in the 2v2 metagame). Either that or they want to move people away from older, well-known Pokemon and their strategies in order to get more people to try and create new designs in a metagame with no precedent.

No matter why they did it, I'm excited for next year.

Yeah, this officially makes me stop caring. First Black and White don't include any old ones, now this. Using all these freaky new things makes it lose the nostalgia value that was an essential part of what made me care about it as a strategic game. Ahh well, just picked up a couple Disgaea games, let's see how they go.

I'm actually starting to really enjoy these rules. The metagame is relatively easy to figure, with 75 Pokemon (not counting NFE's), instead of 600+

As for strategies, I think the big contenders will use either:
a) Trick Room
b) Sandstorm
c) Tailwind

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
You know, actually, discovering all these new mons brings back the nostalgia of Gen 1 for me. Back before I even knew there WAS a Mewtwo!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)