Media Videogame thread

I would not say that is worth $20.... yet.
I find it pretty fun but it is also fairly one-dimensional. The characters don't offer a lot of movement options and most minigames are fairly straightforward.
I haven't been able to play in about a week because I'm away, but in my experience the servers are very, very bad. I'd say around ~75% of my matches end in a disconnect, which absolutely sucks because you gain no rewards from it.
IF they fix the servers or are confident in the strength of your internet to carry you then I'd say get it if you think its a game you can sink a few hours into.
They've gotten a lot better since the first week. Most of my recent matches have played smoothly, and at worst I'll only get the occasional lag spike.

Bag of Trixx

I like to call it a passion
is a Pre-Contributor
I would not say that is worth $20.... yet.
I find it pretty fun but it is also fairly one-dimensional. The characters don't offer a lot of movement options and most minigames are fairly straightforward.
I haven't been able to play in about a week because I'm away, but in my experience the servers are very, very bad. I'd say around ~75% of my matches end in a disconnect, which absolutely sucks because you gain no rewards from it.
IF they fix the servers or are confident in the strength of your internet to carry you then I'd say get it if you think its a game you can sink a few hours into.
Well tbf, server issues are quite common with new games and they usually get fixed within a couple patches so that isn't that big of a deal for me. But do you think a silly game as it is, even being one-dimensional is warranted the price of $20? Or am I wasting my money currently

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Well tbf, server issues are quite common with new games and they usually get fixed within a couple patches so that isn't that big of a deal for me. But do you think a silly game as it is, even being one-dimensional is warranted the price of $20? Or am I wasting my money currently
Ya also gotta consider that they probably didn't expect the game to explode to the extent it currently has. The hype will probably die down and the playerbase will stabilize at some point in the near future but right now it must be a lot to take in for the devs

Bag of Trixx

is a Pre-Contributor
Ya also gotta consider that they probably didn't expect the game to explode to the extent it currently has. The hype will probably die down and the playerbase will stabilize at some point in the near future but right now it must be a lot to take in for the devs
Yeah I agree with you completely. That's just how some of these games go. A lot of games are not expected to take off as crazily as they do in the beginning so there will be all kinds of server bugs, lag spikes, lag-outs, packet loss, etc.. Cant' hate the Devs for it though, since that really isn't something they can avoid initially unless they just never fix the problem LOL but obviously that wouldn't happen. It looks like a fun game though. Silly and simple, but fun nonetheless. Hopefully they add more minigames and stuff to make it more entertaining.

chimp

Go Bananas
is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
It's one dimensional yes but that's sort of the point I guess. It's fun to just kick back and play and just forget about your worries for am hour or so. Whether or not that is actually worth $20 is up to you and your tasted in games.

And you can queue with your teammates but that just gurantees you will be in the same room and will be paired together in team games. Regardless, only one player can win, even if they are in the same room with a friend.

Bag of Trixx

is a Pre-Contributor
It's one dimensional yes but that's sort of the point I guess. It's fun to just kick back and play and just forget about your worries for am hour or so. Whether or not that is actually worth $20 is up to you and your tasted in games.

And you can queue with your teammates but that just gurantees you will be in the same room and will be paired together in team games. Regardless, only one player can win, even if they are in the same room with a friend.

Soooo if you queue with friends, do you go against them assuming it isn't a team-based game?

Almost time for me to become a degenerate gamer. Hajimari is the continuation of Cold Steel 4. Comes out the 27th and I will be taking the rest of the week off to play it. Not like I can go abroad with my vacation days anyways. No special premium hardcopy preorder from Japan this time since there is a digital deluxe version with DLC in CN releasing at the same time. It is basically the only series I care about playing these days and adds some purpose to being stuck at home during the lockdown.

1598399782592.png

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I wouldn't say I play a wide variety of video games, but the ones I do play I play a ton. I have about 2k hours in Terraria, and still find it fun to this day. I don't really play solo adventures anymore, but playing with new people, or playing different mods is very fun (seriously if you're into terraria hit me up). There's no way to count how many hours I have in Tetris, but I play it every day. I think I've become pretty good at it, and the fun hasn't stopped yet. Other games like Hollow Knight and Celeste, while a one time story (for me personally, I'm sure there's some replay value) really meant a lot to me. The music, story, gameplay, characters, everything was perfect. If you're on the fence about trying either of those, I 100% recommend them.

List of switch games I'm looking forward to:
Silksong
The Last Campfire
Blue Fire
Puyo Puyo Tetris 2

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
GAME OF THE YEAR. 2021.

Not since DBS Broly's promos has a trailer thoroughly engrossed me to the point of wanting to rewatch and admire every single frame of it ad infinitum. I'm not even that big of a Star Wars fan but holy shit

Amaranth

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
UPL Champion
I finished playing Outer Wilds (not Outer Worlds, that's a completely different game with an unfortunately similar name and release timing). It's a space-based exploration/adventure/mystery game. No major spoilers ahead.

You play as a novice astronaut from the planet Timber Hearth, going on your first launch into space and the solar system, investigating an ancient but very technologically advanced species called the Nomai which at one point has mysteriously gone extinct. You will soon discover that space is very dangerous. You will also soon discover that you're stuck in a time loop, so you can toss yourself at any issue an unending amount of times knowing that each death will simply bring you to the start of the loop.

On these premises Outer Wilds builds what is probably the best exploration game I've ever played. Every new venture into an unknown planet is so goddamn thrilling. Every corner of the solar system is inaccessible because you simply lack the knowledge, but as you make new findings the secrets of the universe will slowly be revealed to you. The game poses very little mechanical challenge - it's all about learning what places exist, by reading about them on signs and scriptures left by the Nomai, and then figuring out how to access them by joining dots. This removes a lot of frustration from any individual death - if you know how to reach a place, it's usually trivial to reach it again. This is not to say that deaths are trivial though - the game does a very good job with imagery and atmosphere that will make you feel some visceral fucking anxiety, to ensure that you value your life at least a slight bit.

Unfortunately I have to say the ending is a little disappointing though. I can't discuss specifics for the sake of keeping this review spoiler-free, but I will say it felt somewhat disconnected, and the resolution of the mystery just wasn't very satisfactory for me.

Overall a solid 8/10 - the exploration sections are nothing short of genius design, and the game really does a good job playing with various uneasy feelings related to the vastness of space and other similarly unsettling topics, but I think it falls short of delivering closure in a satisfying manner, which ends up somewhat cheapening the entire mystery imo. Still worth the price unless you actively dislike space travel or exploration games, and also don't buy this if you're uneasy around mildly anxiety-inducing atmospheres. I'm not even into astronomy and I liked it, so I figure most people will. You do need to put serious focus into this game though, don't get this for a casual relaxing experience.

As a final note, you're allowed to explore the solar system in any which order you like and the game works pretty well regardless of where you start and end, so don't stress yourself about those sorts of choices if you pick up this game.

monkfish

what are birds? we just don't know.
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
If you consider yourself a videogame fan you owe it to yourself to play Outer Wilds! Never played anything like it in terms of both the space physics and the gameplay loop. The combination of the two produces some unique experiences.

I do agree that the ending was a bit of a letdown for me. You invest a lot in playing the game and it feels like a bit of an anticlimax - but I don't think that detracts much from how incredible the rest of the game is. 10/10 for me!

I recently got reacquainted with a classic that was semi-notable when it came out. Are you a fan of JRPGs, and/or bball? I would highly recommend Chef Boyardee's Barkely, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden, a free indie game that was doing quirky, silly rpg humor in 2008 before that became a trend.

The game (jokingly) presents itself as an official sequel to both Space Jam and the Sega Genesis game Barkely Shut Up and Jam!. You play as Charles Barkley, living in the post-cyberpocalypse of 2053. You live in Neo New York with your son Hoopz Barkely and the other survivors of the Chaos Dunk: the move that ended Barkely's career, many lives, and modern civilization. He lives as a fugitive because bball is outlawed as a result of his dunk. The quest is kickstarted when he is suspected of delivering a Chaos Dunk that destroyed Manhattan, when he was really framed by the terrorist group B.L.O.O.D.M.O.S.E.S. You have to evade the bball police, find and destroy B.L.O.O.D.M.O.S.E.S., and save bball.
There's a ton of basketball references and parodies that are much funnier if you have at least a cursory knowledge of basketball history and famous players. The other common type of joke is poking fun at JRPG conventions.
I'm a big fan of the game's sense of humor because it's the type of satire that plays it straight. The characters are put in ridiculous circumstances and live through so many cringey cliches...but their reaction to it is 100% genuine and serious. The meta humor isn't obnoxious 4th wall breaks that calls out a trope or questions the situation and says "haha isn't this wacky, what's next? Are you going to tell me I'm the chosen one? Why is the villain so unoriginal, Morty?!"

If you're still not sold here's just a few more tidbits:
  • Status conditions include Aspergers, Diabetes, Glaucoma (cured with Flintstones vitamins), Montezuma's Revenge
  • A side quest involves you writing a love poem for a half-snail man to deliver to the furry he's crushing on
  • You have to accept a quest from Juwanna Mann to defeat the Ghost Dad (Bill Cosby)
  • Meet Dick Vitale in the bball dimension to lend him some money he can blow on Keno
  • Beating the game unlocks Victorian Steampunk mode...the only change is that character portraits now have a stovepipe hat
The sequel met its funding goal but was cancelled, unfortunately. And this game isn't even 8 hours long, so it's over soon. At least the jokes don't overstay their welcome. I liked it.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Glad to see the 3D All Stars rumour wasn't BS. Super Mario 35 also sounds epic.

Probably the biggest surprise there was Mariokart Live: Home Circuit. It's not something I can imagine myself getting (mostly cuz I don't have anyone to play it with—I probably would get it otherwise), but I really like the idea of making Mariokart tracks in your living room and racing around them.

I'm super exited to get Super Mario 35. I never got a chance to play 64 or Sunshine and I'm really looking forward to diving into them. Hell even replaying Galaxy and 3D World will be fun, especially with the extra content that 3D World's getting.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
I'm just really interested to know what Bowser's Fury actually is. Also any other fellow losers who were kinda hoping for some kind of "DS content toggle" for 64?

I'm just really interested to know what Bowser's Fury actually is. Also any other fellow losers who were kinda hoping for some kind of "DS content toggle" for 64?
The lack of Mario 64 DS is a huge turn-off for me actually. I grew up playing the DS version, so going back to the N64 version which has less content & lacks any of the QoL updates will be annoying. The biggest issue with Mario 64 DS (lack of an analog stick) shouldn't even be a problem on switch since it has one.

Mario 3D world Deluxe looks sick. I would have bought it for the online multiplayer alone, but the character speed increases and Bowser's Fury seal the deal. Also is it just me or did Mario perform a Dive here?
1599242816067.png

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ever since my Wii was stolen, the one game/series I really regretted never having played was Super Mario Galaxy. Glad I’ll finally be able to fix that with my Switch ^_^

The lack of Mario 64 DS is a huge turn-off for me actually. I grew up playing the DS version, so going back to the N64 version which has less content & lacks any of the QoL updates will be annoying. The biggest issue with Mario 64 DS (lack of an analog stick) shouldn't even be a problem on switch since it has one.
My thought on why this wasn't included was nintendo probably thinking the DS version mostly added more characters and a couple more stages. (Not to mention they would have to disable most of the minigames due to gambling issues)

The real question is where's Galaxy 2? There's a whole mostly different set of levels to work there.

EDIT:
The Wii U is now officially a Xenoblade X/Nintendo Land machine
And a Smash 4 machine. (Like anyone cares about that)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)