XY RU Volt turn up.

Senpai D.M

さようなら
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I'm fairly new to RU, but started in the xy beta days and I decided to make a fun team to get used to the current meta again after stopping after shuckle ban. This team made the ladder quick and gave me an idea of what the current meta looks like. This team can also help you get used to the meta if needed. Note; not srs team , but fun to use.

team preview; Gastrodon, Mega Banette, Heliolisk, Bronzong, Ludicolo and Mesprit

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 244 Def / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Earth Power
- Recover

Gastrodon is the physical wall of the team. It has great coverage and recovery and it can use the rain for extra powered scalds or stall if needed. It takes hits really well and is my turn to when I know a knock off is coming as it won't mind. I noted the speed paying off very rarely lol Ev spread suggestions are welcome thinking on more power

Banette @ Banettite
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Destiny Bond
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Sneak

Ah Mega Baenette, I wanted to try a mega and chose Banette. I'm really glad I chose it because it's so useful. Knockoff everything. I like shadow sneak for priority although sucker punch is better but it's a 50/50 [not real to run it] If used right it can also take something along with it once it's job is done. :] Any set advice is very welcome. its role is mostly knock off support and to be a thorn to others.

Heliolisk @ Choice Specs
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Grass Knot
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunderbolt

My Special attacker and Volt switcher. Sometimes I like to use this as a lead to bait out threats that prevent volt switch and get a quick kill. It really puts in work after to gain muh momentum. I also tried expert belt to bluff the specs but felt meh about its power. I also used a standard moveset

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake

My special wall works well with gastrodon and can also stall if needed. Needed a stealth rocker, I know Registeel is better at playing this role but didn't know at the time.

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 40 Atk / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Rash Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Rain Dance
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam

Yes I'm running Ludicolo in RU and running bullet seed because I'm garb. I chose Ludicolo because before building this team I ran a very bad sw team and saw a lot of Omastar [mainly because it was new] My team doesn't enjoy too many hazards so I figured I would try bullet seed Ludicolo and hey it ohkos omastar sometimes. That was the only role in mind, but it puts in work when it doesn't miss hydro pumps. It turned out to be a fun while it lasts thanks to its fragile defenses.

Mesprit @ Choice Band
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Zen Headbutt
- U-turn
- Fire Punch
- Trick

I wanted to use a U turner and remember the Azelf days and that's exactly what this set is a poor mans Azelf. U turn plays mind games and sometimes I can get a free kill with zen headbutt. Trick was basically filler but turned out very useful against set up sweepers.

Thx on reading pls respond

P.s first rmt let me know how I did no h8 pls

Last edited:
Hi Senpai D.M looking at your team i immediately see some subpar sets and flaws but i definitely can help you.
First of all i have to say that while i like the idea of a Heliolisk+Ludicolo core your team is very weak to Grass-types in general. The first idea that came me to mind is to change Mesprit with Substitute + Swords Dance Cobalion. While the suggestion doesn't seen to make much sense at a first loook Mesprit doesn't do that much to your team as it has redundant typing with Bronzong and isn't srong or fast enough to be very threatening offensively. Cobalion likes to come in after Heliolisk Volt Switches against Pokemon such as Amoonguss and once in it can easlily get a Substitute and a SD up and threaten the opposing team.
Cobalion @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
The second suggestion i had is to change your Bronzong to Tank Stealth Rock Druddigon. Druddigon gives you more offensive presence, a check to Moltres (which is a VERY big threat to your team), good synergy and Stealth Rock so that you don't lose that kind of support. Finally i wanted to suggest you Alomomola over Gastrodon. Alomomola fits your team as a physical wall a lot better in my opinion as lots of Pokemon appreciate Wish support (Cobalion and Druddigon if you change them, Bronzong if you don't, and Banette regardless)
Druddigon @ Leftovers
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 236 HP / 252 Atk / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Claw
- Toxic / Sucker Punch
- Earthquake
Alomomola @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 104 HP / 248 Def / 156 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Wish
- Protect
- Toxic
I also have some EVs/Moves changes to some of your Pokemon i'll put in the hide tag below.
- Giga Drain>Bullet Seed on Ludicolo. Bullet seed might look cool and all but it is quite weak and Giga Drain already 2hkos Omastar so that it gets only SR up anyway. The recovery+strong Grass STAB is A LOT more useful. Obv change the spread too
- 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe Spread on Banette. Speed outspeeds Cress and Gligar after Mega which is very very useful. You dont lose much bulk regardless. Also consider Shadow Claw on it over Wisp or Sneak.
Good Luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)